Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Tides of Wine ❯ Amelia ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tides of Wine
~Amelia~
 
It was the following morning that we reached Farey. It was a city, far larger than Sran Lenda and far more crowded as well. The people here were kind but nosey. It was a city well known for its gossip. Luckily, I had the best source for information. You would not think that a girl who did something so odd as selling prunes would know so much, be dressed so well, or look so lovely.
Her street name was Star. Her real name was Melly. I departed from my newly acquired companion and sought her out. She was looking as well as ever in a thin lavender silk dress with an open back. Her skin was golden brown. Her eyes were amber and, I had to admit, that she was the most beautiful woman I knew. Her hair was golden with wildly cut bangs, but it hung down to her waist.
Melly's face was angular and perfect. Her eyes were slanted slightly upward. She was my best friend, and she was one fourth elf. I was the only one who knew that, though.
I found her at her stand, talking with some street pets of her own. I had once known them to be rebels in a group out to thwarp the King. They nearly suceeded. They saw me and quickly slithered into the nearest alley. "Long time no see, Star!" I waved and grinned at her. She smiled back and barely hid the look of surprise on her face. I knew why it was there.
"I really never thought that I would see you again, Twinklet." I frowned at my street name. It sounded so odd among so many pretty ones. I once knew a Thief Queen called Moon.
"Well, let's just say that I didn't come willingly." I retorted, thinking of that temper prone Elliott. "But I'm here none-the-less."
"Not willingly? That doesn't like the Twinklet I know." She frowned. "Who's been messing with my Sister Cat."
Ah. I had forgotten about the little gang we ran under Moon. The Sister Cats had been the most rebellious things around. It was a whole bunch of girls who knew what they were doing and exactly what they wanted. It had a sad ending.
"A big pretty dog." I nodded, smiling evilly. "But I have almost got him tamed, I think. Besides that, I need an update."
She nodded, hair bouncing gently off her shoulders. "The Lysanthys have exiled their Night Child. The eldest ascended to the Heavens the night after." I felt my eyes grow wide. "I thought he was too young!" I exclaimed.
"Ten thousand years. He has met his time of Rising, but many thought that he wouldn't go." She shrugged. "I think that there is something going on with that family. Something very strange."
"Did his Rising leave the Day Child in control?" I was very worried about that. The Day Child was rumored to be a beautiful boy. He looked about nineteen, two years older than me, but he and his brother were mentioned to be well over two thousand years old. The Night Child was said to be a useless tempermental fiend. The Day Child was said to be the perfect person for his father's position, but some said that he was a much darker character than everyone knew.
"No and yes. He is at the head of the Lysanthy Household now, but the Will cannot be read for a year."
"What? Why!" I was aggravated for this turn of events. I hated when a story went unfinished. "That's ridiculous."
"Well, his brother has been exiled from the House for a year. It was their father's wish that it be read when both are present." Melly chuckled. "I feel sorry for the Night Child."
"Why?" I asked, confused. "He's said to be an evil heartless bastard. Why feel bad for a person like that?"
She looked amused. "Usually the information comes through right, but I've always felt that they misinterpreted the Night Child. His brother, I have met him, comes off as a nasty sort to me."
"You've met Lysander Lysanthy?" I gaped as she grinned. "You do get around."
"Anyway, Twinklet, what is it that you want to know?"
I sighed. "I should probably let you meet the idiot who drug me here first. He can explain things better than me." I helped her close up her cart, and we left it to go find Elliott.