Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Twins ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: I was about fifteen when I wrote this, so it's not my best work. Still, it's one of my favorites. I'm so glad I found it again. Also, I've been asked a few times why the kids are so…well, eloquent. It's intentional.
 
Twins
-
© 2003 Ohne Sie
 
 
 
A very pale young boy of about six years in age had been beaten by a group of bullies a few years older and a few ten pounds heavier. His face had shown no emotion before the assault, and it showed no emotion after. There was no defeat in his eyes, no hatred, just coldness. An icy coldness filled his face. This was part of the reason the boys had attacked him. The younger boy was so beautiful, he looked like a girl. Of course, at such an age, many boys do. This boy was frailer than other children, had pale blonde hair, and of course, icy blue eyes. He seemed to them to be some sort of ice demon, or maybe an angel. Either way, the boy was a threat. He was just too likeable. A likeable boy in an orphanage is just asking to be beat to a pulp for merely existing.
 
The boys had taken off when they heard footsteps. It didn't matter who it was. As long as the bullies were out of sight, they couldn't be convicted of anything. And if they were, they'd only get fewer rations for the day. It didn't matter to them; they were always punished in such liberal ways. They still fought the younger boy. They would probably have killed him already, except for fear of his sister.
 
The sister frightened them very much. Her looks matched those of her brother, but she had longer hair and had no tolerance for such nonsense as beating up her brother. In fact, she'd shown just how tough she was a number of times. No matter how tiny the girl was, she could always beat them in anything, whether it was arm wrestling, chess, or hide and seek. She had a horrible temper and had the uncanny ability to use it to overpower anyone. Anyone, meaning even the prospective adopters whom wanted her or her twin brother. Until someone would come along who wanted them both and seemed kind, she would continue to fight them. It would seem to most people that the bullies would stop the harassment due to her constant refusal of prospective parents, but it never stopped. They were all jealous, or afraid of him. Bullies have a strange way of showing fear.
 
The person who had arrived on the scene was no other than the sister, returned from her talk with the woman in charge of the orphanage. The girl's rations had been cut because she had chopped a girl's hair off with safety scissors for calling her brother a “sissy.”
 
She glared at the mess in front of her, and then sighed as she saw her brother, lying on the floor, blood trickling from his nose and lips, bruised all over. He was glad to see her, she could tell, even though his face remained emotionless. She knelt beside him. “Natsuro and the others again, right?”
 
The boy didn't move an inch as his replied echoed through her mind. Yes.
 
“I hate him. Hold on.” She looked to make sure no one was around and started to wave her hand over her brother's body. He stopped her with his own hand.
 
Stop the bleeding, that's all. Don't give them more of a reason to hate me by making my wounds mysteriously disappear.
 
“Good idea. But let me do a scar scan first.” The boy dropped his arm.
 
I won't resist. I trust you.
 
“Perhaps you shouldn't.” She closed her eyes, and then opened them ten seconds later. “You won't have any scars. I'll just get rid of the blood.” She waved her hand over the wounds, making the blood disappear and clot so no more would escape. “Will you be all right here?”
 
Don't go after them, Yukiko.
 
“Yuki, you know I have to. You won't stop them, but I will. I hate bullies.”
No…it's me they hate…and I don't hate them. There's no need…
 
“Yuki! Listen. I'm going to yell at them and threaten them. Then I'll tell Miss Hara. That'll scare them.”
 
They'll make fun of you. They already do, behind your back.
 
“Cowards. At least they say it to your face…” She smiled and stood up. “Okay, it looks like I'm up for a game of hide and seek. Maybe you should go talk to Miss Hara. Tell her what happ…” She closed her mouth, and then smiled again. “I'll do it. I hate it when they hurt you. I hate them. I hate them so…”
 
Don't hate them, Yukiko. They aren't worth it. I pity them.
 
“You would…I don't see how you can pity them. I guess you know what you're doing, though. Hey, sit down while I go yell at the bullies. Please do that for me.”
 
Okay. Please don't hurt them. You get in so much trouble.
 
“Your pain is my pain. I know when you're hurt, and it pisses me off. So I need revenge, for your sake. But I guess your revenge will have to be verbal, this time. Stay safe, Yuki.”
 
Stay safe, Yukiko.
 
She walked off through a door chanting, “Come out, come out, wherever you are.”
 
 
 
“I just don't know…you'll have to schedule a meeting with them. How do you know of them?”
 
“Miss Hara, the twins are the perfect addition to my family. I once knew their mother.”
 
“Their mother?”
 
“Yes. She was executed for being a witch. Poor dear…”
 
“A witch?” There was a gasp from Miss Hara's phone.
 
“She never did any evil. She predicted when storms would come better than any weatherman; she used telekinesis, pyrokinesis, and telepathy. The people were frightened of her, so they killed her…after she left the twins with me. At the time, they were babies, and I couldn't care for them, so I took them to your orphanage, before you were there. I can take them now. I'll schedule an appointment to see them, if you wish.”
 
“Tuesday at 1:30 is open.”
 
“That will be fine, thank you.”
 
 
 
“Found you.” Yukiko glared at the three boys she knew had been harassing Yuki. “All ye, all ye, out come free.”
 
“I thought it was `olly, olly, oxen free',” one boy commented. The other two kicked him.
 
“Idiots. Lay off my brother, or you'll really get it.”
 
“Demon.” The boy who had spoken before spat at her.
 
“Dickhead.” Yukiko smiled back, clenching her hands around the boy's neck. “I could kill you right now…”
 
She felt a blow to her side and she fell. “Hey, Natsuro.” She grinned and kicked him in the groin. “Too bad you're too young to feel the full effect. Ask that one guy who tried to adopt Yuki once how it feels. He received a very powerful direct hit.”
 
Natsuro collapsed, crying. Yukiko found it amusing, actually. That weak eight-year-old had been defeated so easily by a girl half his size and two years younger than him. She gloated over this, taking in every inch of Natsuro's face, already hardened by living on the street most of his life. She couldn't feel sorry for him, though, for two reasons. One was that he was a bully. She hated bullies. The other was that she and Yuki had been through just as much as he had, if not more, and neither of them had turned out like him. He glared up at her, his brown eyes watering from the pain of the kick. His light brown hair had been ruffled as he writhed on the ground. Yukiko lifted her gaze and stared at the other two boys. One stood, petrified. This was Daisuke, the most moronic of the bunch. Although they were all intelligent for their age, having to learn more in the orphanage than in a normal school, Daisuke just wasn't as interested as the others. Daisuke was bigger than Natsuro, but a real coward. He had red hair and green eyes, and his hair was actually shoulder-length. The last boy flashed a hidden smile at Yukiko, nodding his approval, as he pulled Daisuke away. This was Shinro, the youngest of the three bullies, and also the most intelligent. He was fairly quiet and didn't typically get into fights with Yuki, unless it was to ensure his loyalty to Natsuro. Even then, he would never beat Yuki enough to hurt him for more than a few minutes. Yukiko didn't exactly like Shinro, but she didn't hate him either. He'd stuck around several times to help Yuki up after Daisuke or Natsuro beat him. It was unclear why he was always with Natsuro, because, compared to he and Daisuke, Shinro was a decent boy. Shinro had chocolate brown hair and nearly black eyes. He was fairly small, only a few inches taller than Yuki and Yukiko. He was faster than anyone else, though, and his wits usually got him, and his two partners, out of trouble. He dragged Daisuke away now. Yukiko bit her lip now, realizing she'd betrayed Yuki.
 
Yukiko…please tell me you didn't…
 
I did. Sorry.
 
You just can't help yourself, can you? Don't get caught. Did they start a fight with you first?
 
Nut sack kicked me in the side.
 
You mean Natsuro?
 
Yeah. He's gonna be swollen now.
 
Did you have to kick him that hard?
 
It wasn't so hard. I could've done worse.
 
Well, hurry up and tell Miss Hara before the minions do.
 
I'm sure they already have, but I'll try.
 
Yukiko ran to Miss Hara's office. To her relief, she saw the woman on the phone. The other two bullies were nowhere to be seen. She waited until the woman got off the phone.
 
“Miss Hara, Natsuro, Daisuke, and Shinro beat up Yuki again…”
 
“How much damage did you do?” The brunette woman sighed and shook her head.
 
“I kicked Natsuro in the groin area after he kicked me in the side.”
 
Miss Hara grimaced. “Ow. After? You're sure you kicked him after?”
 
“Yes. Although he'll tell you otherwise.”
 
“Where'd you even learn to fight like that? Or speak like that, for that matter…” the woman mumbled, fumbling through a cabinet for some aspirin. She dropped the bottle as she heard Natsuro and Daisuke shouting in unison.
 
“Miss Hara, Yukiko attacked us and we didn't do nothing!”
 
“Anything,” Yukiko corrected. “ And you attacked my brother. You're lucky you're all not dead by n…” she trailed off as Miss Hara gave her a look.
 
“Boys, Yukiko told me, and I believe her story. You've picked on Yuki before, I believe you'd do it now. But as for who started the fight…”
 
“She did it!”
 
“Nutsa---Natsuro did it.”
 
“What were you about to call me?”
 
“Something very offensive, I assure you.” She smiled smugly.
 
“You're not that smart, bitch.”
 
“Natsuro!” Miss Hara was appalled.
 
“Oops.”
 
“No dinner for two nights. Swearing is a very bad thing to do.” She picked up the aspirin bottle and started to take one while mumbling something. Interested, Yukiko contacted her brother telepathically.
 
What's Miss Hara saying?
 
Someone has an appointment to see us.
 
Yeah?
 
And she doesn't believe what they say.
 
What do they say?
 
That… There was a pause. That…
 
Yeah?
 
…They knew our mother.
 
Yukiko was so surprised, she cried out. The boys and Miss Hara looked at her, but she didn't notice. “How could someone have known our moth…” She clasped her hand over her mouth. Oops. Hey, Yuki? I made a big mistake…
 
I know. Yukiko, fix it. Don't let her know you know.
 
“Moth?” Miss Hara asked.
 
“I pronounced `moth' wrong. Yeah, I had a pet moth. I know pets aren't allowed, I'm sorry.”
 
“Moths don't apply,” Miss Hara replied, distracted, wondering if the girl somehow knew about the phone call…or maybe if the twins had some of their mother's powers. But that was silly. Although half the world believed in magic, she certainly didn't. It was foolish. Never mind that thousands of innocent people had been burned, hanged, or otherwise executed for crimes of witchcraft. In Miss Hara's mind, all were innocent people caught up in a wicked cult and put to an early and unjustifiable death. “Off to bed with all of you. No dinner. Fighting is very bad. Let me see about Yuki. How bad were his wounds, Yukiko?”
 
“Oh, they…the blood's gone, now, but he's really bruised up.” Yukiko glared at Natsuro. Natsuro smirked, his arms crossed against his chest. “Bitch,” he mouthed as he waved to his two comrades to leave. Before he was out of sight, Shinro turned around and gave a thumbs up sign to Yukiko. Yukiko smiled a bit, until she heard Daisuke call Yuki a “stupid little mute”. Miss Hara held Yukiko back from starting another fight, then they both went to Yuki.
 
Tell her I'm fine, Yukiko.
 
Why don't you just talk?
 
“Yuki, point to where it hurts worst.”
 
He shook his head and looked longingly at Yukiko. Please. I'm tough; I can handle pain. I can't talk.
 
Bullshit. You can talk. I heard you.
 
I choose not to talk. Why should I? Speech is overrated.
 
“Yuki, please, I need to help you.” Miss Hara sighed, bringing the ice pack closer. Yuki scrambled away, glaring at his sister, who also sighed.
 
“Miss Hara, Yuki thinks he's tough enough to handle a little pain.”
 
Miss Hara looked at Yuki, who nodded furiously. “All right then…” She stood. “Tuesday you have a visitor coming. I don't know who, but she seems to know you quite well. And to have…”
 
“Known our mother,” Yukiko finished.
 
“You know who it is?” Miss Hara asked, surprised.
 
“No.”
 
Yuki mentally kicked his twin. Quit it with the close calls.
 
Sorry. I didn't mean to…
 
You'll get us exposed, I swear.
 
“Then how did you…”
 
“I guessed.” Yukiko smirked at her brother, who shook his head sadly.
 
It was a weak lie.
 
She bought it, didn't she?
 
“Oh…well, she's coming to see you, so be ready.”
 
Told you, Yukiko told her brother smugly.
 
Not everyone is that gullible.
 
“Now, Yukiko, get to bed. Yuki, you'd best clean up before dinner.”
 
Hydrokinesis, anyone?
 
Yuki, be careful with that.
 
Yukiko, I'm the cautious one, not you. Relax.
 
I wish you would have let me heal you back there…
 
Nah. I'm fine.
 
“Good night, Miss Hara!” Yukiko announced. Yuki waved as they ran toward their room. Snatch some dinner rolls for me, please.
 
Naturally. I'll get you a potato too.
 
Oh, yum. That's nasty, Yuki. Just get me dinner rolls with butter…and maybe a cookie?
 
We should be so lucky as to have cookies. But only the best for my sister.
 
And God said “Let there be cookies.”
 
And God died.
 
Yuki, you could be more optimistic.
 
God died when we were born. That much is obvious. That or God hates us.
 
Maybe our mother…
 
I doubt it. I doubt our mother was evil. I wonder what happened. Why did our father…
 
Well, wondering won't help, Yuki. Get washed up and get my dinner rolls. I'm hungry.
 
Yes, Your Majesty.
 
That's right, and then fluff up my pillows.
 
Get Shinro to do it. He's beginning to worship you.
 
You noticed too? Silence, slave. I'm tired. I must sleep. Yukiko collapsed on the bed as Yuki went into the shower.
 
 
 
“Daisuke, why didn't you help me after she kicked me?” Natsuro demanded.
 
“He was afraid, Natsuro. Remember what Yukiko did to him last time.” Shinro eyed him coolly, not intimidated a bit.
 
“What about you?”
 
“Me? I wanted to see what she would do.”
 
“What the hell? You wanted to see what she would do? Damn it, Shinro! What if she'd killed me?”
 
“She can't,” he replied simply.
 
“What do you mean?” Daisuke asked.
 
“She can't bring herself to kill you, Natsuro. You have the upper hand. You kill without remorse. She can't kill again. Need I say more?”
 
“Yes. Explain. She's killed before?” Natsuro eyed him suspiciously.
 
“I watch people, Natsuro. I know she's killed before. She looked kind of panicked earlier after she made that one statement to Daisuke. You know, `I could kill you right now'? She had a cold voice saying that, and the panicked look was not because you kicked her, Natsuro. No, it was because she remembered something. And that's the only reason your kick made contact. It broke her concentration, that's all. She'd have seen it coming if she hadn't reminisced. In fact…” He couldn't make out the last few words because Natsuro had attempted at grabbing his throat to choke him. Shinro moved too swiftly, however, and dodged the attack, sending Natsuro to grab the throat of Daisuke, who had been seated behind Shinro. Natsuro and Daisuke fell backward, and wrestled on the ground for a moment, before Natsuro stood up and looked at Shinro, who had an amused look on his face.
 
“I'll kill you in your sleep, Shinro.” Natsuro glared at him.
 
“I hope you do, Natsuro, I really would like to see my mother again.”
 
“No, Shinro. Your momma's in heaven. You're going to hell.”
 
“Who says Mom's in heaven?” Shinro walked over to the window and looked into the night sky. “Who says heaven exists?”
 
“The bible,” Daisuke suggested.
 
“The bible is a bunch of lies and half-truths. I don't believe any of it. What is real and what isn't?”
 
“I'm real, Shinro. And the blade by which you will die is real.” Natsuro laughed.
 
“Ah, Natsuro…but what if I am real and you are not? What if I am God and you're just figments of my imagination? But it's not likely, and you may very well kill me tonight. I have no regrets.”
 
“I'm glad you have no regrets, then, Shinro. Because I will cause you to have them, by making you tell me how to kill Yukiko. ”
 
Shinro turned around. His eyes were a fiery red. Daisuke backed away. Shinro laughed and replied, “You'll have to kill Yuki, of course.”
 
Natsuro smiled slowly, nodding. “Of course…”
 
Shinro's eyes were back to normal. “Excuse me, I'm going for a walk in the hallway. I need to be alone.” He exited the room quickly, before anyone could protest.
 
Instantly, Shinro was on the orphanage roof, hidden by his black clothing and the lack of lights in town. He lay back against the roof and pointed at a tree, concentrating only slightly. A single leaf had been burned in one second. He sighed and closed his eyes, remembering his mother. “Mom…I will avenge your death.”
 
 
 
Some girls tried to take the last cookie, but I got it. I'll split it with you.
 
Thank you, Yuki. Did you get the dinner rolls?
 
Yes. Butter and a soda, too.
 
Thank you! She accepted the food and ate it greedily as Yuki slowly nibbled his cookie half.
 
Continuing the conversation from earlier…Yukiko, be careful.
 
With what?
 
Shinro. He's acting even stranger than usual, watching you so closely…and he hasn't beaten me up in a long time.
 
He's smart. Maybe he realized that it hurts to be attacked by a raving six-year-old girl.
 
That's not it, Yukiko. I think he's onto us.
 
Yukiko snorted. Impossible. We hide it too well.
 
I mysteriously had my cuts cleaned.
 
Maybe you licked them clean.
 
That's unlikely. Shinro's smart, you said so yourself. Be careful. All magic-users are liable to face the death penalty.
 
I know, Yuki, and I'm careful. As far as anyone knows, magic is not hereditary.
 
Make sure they keep believing that. Knowing who our mother is, they might…
 
Investigate? Check out our story? Yeah, they might. I'm not worried, though. People are morons about such things. And don't be so sure Shinro's not a magic-user himself.
 
I'm not sure, Yukiko, that's the thing, I believe he may be one. It's entirely likely.
 
If so, he can't turn us in.
 
If so. If. If not…
 
You're depressing, Yuki. Go to sleep. Yukiko yawned and closed her eyes, signaling that she didn't want to hear any more. Yuki sighed and also lay down.
 
 
 
“Morning, Shinro. You never came back last night. Where'd you go?” Daisuke asked as Shinro walked through their door.
 
“My secret.” He began searching through his clothes for something to wear. He felt something cold against his neck and didn't bother to turn around. “Natsuro, you got a new knife.”
 
“No, I found my old one. This little knife has killed about five people…it was the first one I ever had. I can't believe it was in such obvious view in that pawn shop. It was so easy to simple grab it and walk off. It's the knife that caused many deaths. It will cause many more, starting with Yuki's.” He smiled at the little knife, pulling it away from Shinro and grabbing Daisuke's right hand. He pricked his friend's finger and laughed with glee. Daisuke squeaked.
 
“You're really following my advice, aren't you?” Shinro asked, pulling a shirt over his head. “I was kidding.”
 
“You don't kid, Shinro. Besides, it makes sense. To get the sister, kill the brother. Leave her weak, then dispose of her.”
 
“Natsuro, it's not that easy.” Shinro closed his eyes, buttoning his shirt before he grabbed a jacket and walked out the door. “Going to breakfast. See you.”
 
Natsuro kissed the knife and hid it under his mattress, then began dressing. Daisuke began dressing as well. Both were thinking about Shinro's last statement, wondering just how he knew the murder would be hard to accomplish.
 
 
 
“Eggs…” Yukiko grimaced and pinched her nose before swallowing the serving she'd been given. “I hate eggs…”
 
I like them. Yuki smiled, eating his slowly, savoring each bite.
 
“Disgusting. Sausage? Yuck.” She did the same thing with the sausage as she had the eggs.
 
Yukiko, you should be less picky. You don't even get dinner too often, so you should chew your breakfast and lunch slowly. You won't be hungry later, that way.
 
“Hey, I'm not saying that the hash browns and bagels aren't good, Yuki. And the chocolate milk. Just the sausage and eggs.”
 
You're crazy. A complete nutcase. How can you not like these?
 
“They're nasty. Look, people think I'm talking to myself, since you don't answer. No wonder they hate me.”
 
They think your brother is crazier.
 
“Well, you are.” She went back to eating, now that the foulest contents of her plate were gone. “Hey, I lived through it.”
 
You never died from sausage and eggs before. I've never heard of anyone dying from them, unless they were allergic.
 
“I know, but I wish I had.”
 
Yuki shook his head, watching the person who had just walked in out of the corner of his eye.
 
Shinro looked back at him, knowing. He knew that Yuki could talk. He knew, but he had never seen him do it. He knew that one day…one day soon…he'd figure out how to infiltrate Yuki's and Yukiko's thoughts, and find out just who they were. And if they were related to the ones who turned his mother in, they would die. They would die a horribly slow and painful death, and he'd enjoy it.
 
“Shinro, over here!” Someone called. He ignored them. It wasn't Natsuro or Daisuke, and certainly wasn't one of the twins, so he didn't care. He simply walked over to Yuki's and Yukiko's table. He needed to find out more about them, and needed to discover things he could not discover through merely watching. He needed to listen.
 
“Hello,” Shinro said, standing next to Yukiko. She gestured for him to sit down.
 
“Hi,” she responded. Yuki waved. He held up one of his biscuits. Yukiko took it and held it out to Shinro. “He wants to know if you want it. He hates them.”
 
“Uh, sure…do you want my sausage, Yuki?”
 
Yuki nodded and the switch was made.
 
“So, why are you here? Won't Natsuro think you're a traitor for sitting with us?” Yukiko asked, taking a drink of her chocolate milk and watching him out of the corner of her eye.
 
“They're not here yet. Besides, we need to talk.”
 
“Oh? About what?” Yukiko turned to him, her head resting on one hand, watching him intently. Yuki merely stared at him, his face still showing no emotion.
 
“Natsuro has his old blade back.” Shinro said this nonchalantly, taking a sip of his own chocolate milk.
 
“Yeah? What does that have to do with us?”
 
“He wants to kill you, Yukiko. And he's going to kill Yuki first. Believe me, he's capable of killing you. If he catches you off-guard.”
 
“He'll never catch me off guard.” Yukiko laughed.
 
Don't be so sure. If he kills me first, he'll catch you off guard.
 
“He'd have to catch you off guard first, Yuki. How likely is that to happen?”
 
Don`t overestimate me.
 
Yukiko snorted but didn't say anything more. “Why are you telling us this, Shinro? What does it matter to you? So what if we're dead?”
 
Shinro had been amused by the fact that the twins so obviously used telepathy, and didn't care who found out. If someone found out and felt like calling the police, the twins would have been killed. He smiled while thinking of this, then realized Yukiko wanted an answer. “Let's just say…it's in my best interest to keep you alive for now.” He smiled again and walked away, dumping his trash and heading out the door.
 
Let's follow him.
 
Good idea, Yuki.
 
The twins also dumped their trash, following silently ten feet behind him. But he knew they were following. And he'd make sure to disappear from their sight soon.
 
 
 
“Hey, everyone, Natsuro's here! Make way!” Natsuro did a cartwheel as he entered the cafeteria. No one cared to watch. They just continued their conversations. Growling, Natsuro went up to get his breakfast. Daisuke followed him.
 
“Where's Shinro?” Daisuke asked.
 
“Who cares? He's been avoiding us lately anyway.”
 
“Where are Yuki and Yukiko, then?”
 
Natsuro looked around. “That's strange. They'd normally still be here…” His eyes narrowed. What if they were all together, and Shinro was telling them Natsuro was going to kill them? His plan would be ruined. Well, if that were the case, Natsuro would just have to kill him, too.
 
“Come on, Daisuke, I have to go to the room, and then we have to find Shinro.” They stuffed their breakfast in their mouths and dumped the trash, chewing savagely as they walked back to the room.
 
“What do you need to go back for?” Daisuke asked as he opened the door.
 
Natsuro walked in and reached under his mattress. “This,” he replied, holding up the bloodstained piece of metal.
 
“Who are you going to use it on?” Daisuke looked confused.
 
“You'll see…” The two bullies left the room, the knife hidden in Natsuro's pocket.
 
 
 
Shinro turned around after a while, and stopped walking. The twins froze. They all stared at each other until, to the twins' amazement, Shinro vanished.
 
Magic? Yuki asked.
 
I don't know…we have to find out. Read his mind.
 
I've tried in the past, Yukiko. It's blocked.
 
Must be magic, then…only magic users know how to block their minds that well. Unless he's had experience with people like us and is extremely paranoid…
 
We should find him.
 
Where can we look?
 
Yukiko and Yuki looked at each other. Simultaneously, they reached an answer. The roof. They ran off to look for the stairs leading to the roof. They'd never seen the stairs before, but knew they existed, because Miss Hara had mentioned them before. The only problem was that the two of them had been all over the orphanage, and had never found a door leading to a stairwell that would go to the attic. The only place they hadn't been, in fact, was the place they were forbidden to go. The basement.
 
Shinro was indeed on the roof. He'd been studying the twins for a very long time, and he was certain that they would follow him to the roof. He didn't care anymore. At one point, he'd have wanted them to leave him alone, but not anymore. It was nearing the day when he knew someone would die. He`d had a vision of this day for weeks now, and it had finally come. Rather than be afraid for his life, Shinro was excited. Now he waited, knowing the twins would soon arrive.
 
They had found the basement stairs and were subconsciously huddling nearer to each other. There were spiders all over the walls, the basement was dark, and there were certainly rats crawling over the floor. Eventually, they found the staircase, but immediately saw how dark it was. Determined, both children began to climb the stairs slowly. Then, after Yukiko felt a rat crawl over her foot, they raced up the stairs, hoping that they would get to the roof, and not some dead end.
 
 
 
“Natsuro, where are we going?” Daisuke asked, wondering why his friend had opened a window and was stepping on the ledge outside of it.
 
“The roof,” Natsuro replied, grabbing hold of the ledge above. “It's not that hard to climb, if you climb right. Shinro is up there.”
 
“How did he get up there?”
 
Natsuro laughed, pulling himself up the next ledge. “Daisuke, hurry up.”
 
“Answer my question.” Daisuke climbed onto the first ledge and took a deep breath before reaching to grab the next one.
 
“I can't answer it…yet. He's up there, though.” He continued climbing, silently thanking Miss Hara for putting their room near the top floor. Daisuke followed him, trying not to stumble, or to look down, because that would mean certain death from a twelfth floor window ledge.
 
 
 
“Shinro, are you here?” Yuki and Yukiko stepped into the sunlight and looked around in awe. They hadn't been outside in nearly a year.
 
It's beautiful, Yuki told his sister in amazement.
 
“It hurts my eyes.” Yukiko rubbed her eyes in annoyance.
 
Shinro stared at them from his hiding place. If she was rubbing her eyes, she wouldn't be able to see him coming. If she couldn't see him coming, he could kill her right now…or attempt it. But it was too soon. He wouldn't kill her unless he found out that a relative of hers was the culprit. He refused to spill innocent blood.
 
Yukiko removed her hands and looked around. “He's here, I know it. What about you, Yuki?”
 
He's watching us. Yuki looked around, trying to find Shinro.
 
“Playing hide and seek?” Yukiko looked puzzled.
 
No, it's…more dangerous than that…we're in danger. Yukiko, let's get out of here.
 
“No, Yuki, I won't leave. You should, though. I`m also getting a bad vibe from this.” She walked around, searching for Shinro, when two pairs of arms grabbed her and forced her to the ground.
 
“I told you I'd catch her off guard, Shinro!” It was Natsuro. Yukiko tried to wrestle he and Daisuke off of her, but they held her down. “It's time for you to die, bitch…” Natsuro held his knife up, its blade glistening in the sunlight, revealing the bloodstains of those he'd killed in the past.
 
Yukiko kicked Daisuke, releasing his grip for an instant, and tried to wriggle free of Natsuro, but it was no use.
 
Yukiko! Keep struggling, Yuki and I will help you!
 
Shinro? Yukiko and Yuki both asked. Yukiko continued wriggling, obeying his orders.
 
Yuki! When Daisuke grabs her again, tackle him. He's too stupid to realize what's going on. I'll get Natsuro.
 
Daisuke grabbed hold of Yukiko's feet, sure it would prevent her from kicking him. At the same time, Yuki ran up and tackled him, sending him off of Yukiko. Shocked, Daisuke tried to stand, but for some reason, couldn't move.
 
Meanwhile, Natsuro's blade was moving closer to Yukiko's throat. Suddenly it was knocked from his hand. He looked up to see who had done it, and saw Shinro standing beside him, a cold glare in his eyes.
 
“Shinro…”
 
“Natsuro, it's not time yet, you impatient bastard.”
 
Natsuro laughed quietly, reaching for his blade, but it was gone. He looked around and then saw Yukiko. That was the last thing he saw. He fell forward, his eyes wide, blood pouring out of his mouth, into a heap.
 
Yukiko froze, dropping the knife. “I…” She collapsed, sobbing.
 
Yuki let go of Daisuke and ran over, grabbing the knife, turning to Daisuke. Then he knelt by his sister, glaring at Daisuke.
 
“Daisuke, don't make any move to attack,” Shinro warned. Daisuke looked at the corpse of his old leader and slowly nodded.
 
“I…won't…I can`t…” He tried to move, but couldn't, as if someone was still holding him down. He bit his lip, realizing finally that he was on the wrong side. “What will you do to me?”
 
“Hopefully nothing,” Shinro replied. He looked at Yukiko. “Yukiko…”
 
She didn't reply. Yuki looked at him. She killed before. She killed our father. He was going to turn us in. He turned our mother in. So she killed him. And she can't stand it. He turned back to his sister, rubbing her shoulders.
 
Yuki…I…he's dead, isn't he? I…killed him…
 
Yes. He's dead. It's not your fault. It was self-defense.
 
I killed him…I killed our father, and I killed Natsuro. I'm a sick monster, no better than either of them…
 
No, Yukiko. Shinro once again broke into their conversation. Your father obviously turned in magic users. Natsuro killed innocent people. You're nothing like them.
 
All killing is the same, in the end…when you kill someone, you take on all the murders they committed in the past. So, in fact…I am worse than they are.
 
Your logic is twisted, Yukiko.
 
You took revenge against them for all the lives they stole. Yukiko, don't you see that? Shinro took her hands and looked into her eyes as he told her this.
 
There was no reply. Yukiko stood up and walked over to Daisuke. “Go down to Miss Hara. Tell her that Natsuro slipped and stabbed himself with the blade trying to kill me. Mention that I killed him, and I'll kill you. You know I can do it.”
 
Daisuke nodded and scrambled down the stairs, finally able to get up, after Yuki released the paralysis spell. Yukiko sat back down.
 
“Do you really think he'll tell her that lie?” Yuki asked. Shinro stared at him.
 
“So I was right. You can talk.”
 
“Yes, he'll tell her that lie. He's stupid, Yuki. He doesn't want to die.” Her hand quivered and she gripped the end of a barricade on the roof.
 
“I can talk, yes,” Yuki replied softly. “And you don't want to die, either.”
 
“Then I'm stupid. What I meant was that he's afraid to die…” She bit her lip and looked at Natsuro's body, then looked away. “He wasn't afraid of death, I assure you…he was just surprised by it…”
 
“Natsuro was an arrogant bastard. He really came up here to kill me, you know.” Shinro sat on the edge of one of the roof's ledges. The slightest push would knock him off, but he didn't seem to care.
 
“So if we hadn't followed you, you'd be dead and not him?” Yukiko asked.
 
“No. He'd be dead either way. I've got my methods and reasons to stay alive.” He looked toward the stairwell. “Miss Hara should be here by now.” He jumped off the ledge and knelt next to Natsuro's body. “Look concerned. Try to act like you're getting him to wake up. Cry.”
 
Yuki and Yukiko did as they were told. They were crying and begging Natsuro to wake up when the door to the stairs opened. They were still crying as they were gently pulled away by Miss Hara, who shushed them, looking miserably at the corpse. “He's with God now,” she whispered. Neither Shinro nor the twins had the heart to tell her that he wasn't, even if there was a God.
 
 
 
The funeral was held that Friday. Miss Hara told Shinro, Yuki, and Yukiko that they'd been through enough trauma and needn't go. She never even asked how they had all gotten on the roof, when the basement was off-limits. They were locked in their rooms during this time, with no way to get out the windows or doors. They didn't mind. Now that Shinro figured out how to communicate telepathically, they definitely weren't lonely.
 
They'll be saying a load of bullshit at that funeral.
 
What do you mean? The twins asked.
 
Ever been to a funeral? One you remember, I mean? They never say the bad stuff about a person, only the good stuff. Although I don't know what's good about Natsuro.
 
That he's not a magic user? Yuki suggested somewhat coldly.
 
Shinro laughed. Yes, that's true. He wasn't a magic user, so he's still good in the general public's eye. Whereas if we are discovered…
 
We'll be hung in front of an audience or burned at the stake like witches of olden times. There will be no funeral and no one will mourn because we're evil. Yukiko finished Shinro's statement, looking at her brother apologetically.
 
I can handle it, Yukiko. I'm not naïve. I realize things. You're right. Everyone will hate us if they find out. At least we can trust Shinro.
 
Shinro snorted. You can trust me about as far as you can throw me. But on this, I'm with you. What good would it do for me to turn you in, if you could do the same to me right before you are executed?
 
Should we all stick together then? Yukiko asked.
 
It seems like the logical thing to do, Shinro replied.
 
I agree.
 
Well, then I guess we're a team, now. All teams need names. Yuki, Shinro? Either of you have a name for us?
 
There was silence for a few moments until Yuki softly replied with one single word, Future.
 
Future, Shinro and Yukiko repeated, accepting it. That one small word would become the source of all their actions for the time to come.
 
 
 
That Tuesday, Yuki and Yukiko were visited by an old woman. It was the old woman to whom Miss Hara had spoken on the phone. During the meeting time, Shinro decided to see how Daisuke was doing.
 
“He's all alone now. He's been in terrible shape ever since Natsuro's death. He's not himself at all anymore. It's as if he's broken. And I'm the only one he'll even talk to. I should check up on him, maybe help him make new friends,” he explained. “So you two should enjoy your meeting with this old lady.”
 
“Stay safe, Shinro,” Yuki said. Yukiko smiled at her brother. That had always been their secret “goodbye”.
 
“Yes, stay safe, Shinro.” She turned her smile to Shinro.
 
Shinro caught on right away. “Stay safe, Yuki and Yukiko.” He walked away to find Daisuke as they walked off to meet the old lady.
 
The old lady was indeed old. Her skin was more wrinkly than the raisins they got at lunch time. Her hair was white. However, her icy blue eyes were very lively. She was in a wheelchair and looked delighted to see the twins. “I haven't seen you two since you were babies.”
 
“Hello, ma'am. Sorry, Yuki doesn't talk. He's mute.”
 
Yuki bowed, looking at Yukiko. Don't make it sound like it's a physical disability.
 
“It's not a physical disability, dear,” the old woman cackled. Yuki and Yukiko looked at her in disbelief. “Yes, of course I understood that. You think a normal mortal would be a friend of your mother's?”
 
“Yes,” Yukiko replied.
 
No, I didn't, but I wasn't sure.
 
“Well, I came here to see how you were doing. I hear a little boy died a few days ago. How tragic. I also heard that you witnessed it. So he was running and tripped on his knife?”
 
Yukiko cocked her head. She was almost certain this woman knew exactly what happened. She looked at Yuki, who was also watching the woman intently.
 
Yes. That is what happened. Yuki continued to study the woman, who smirked.
 
“Well, see, I never believed that for a minute. Boys with that much experience in killing simply don't act so foolish. I was sure that someone had killed him out of self-defense. But since you were witnesses…”
 
“Ma'am, it seems to me that you already know fully well what happened,” Yukiko said impatiently.
 
“I have my assumptions, dear. Tell me how close I am. The boy went onto the roof expecting to find one of his so-called followers, so he could kill him for disloyalty. He saw you, and decided to catch you off guard. He makes an attempt to stab you, and you kick his other follower away. This distracts him. The follower gets hold of your feet again, Yuki tackles him, he lets go, and his other follower attacks him, You get the knife, you kill him. Sound about right?”
 
Yukiko shuddered. Neither she nor Yuki responded.
 
“If so, good job. I'm sure I'm right. And this boy who helped you…he wouldn't be named Shinro, would he?”
 
Yuki and Yukiko looked at each other. “Who are you and how do you know Shinro?” Yukiko demanded.
 
“An old friend of your mother's and his mother's. In fact, your mothers were best friends. So were your fathers. Those bastards.” The old woman made no attempt to mask her hatred.
 
“Are you saying Shinro's father turned his mother in the way our father turned our mother in?” Yukiko asked, her eyes narrowing.
 
“Yes.” There was a small cry from the doorway. They turned around and saw Shinro doubled over in pain.
 
“No…I trusted him…” He stood up and walked over, holding a knife to the lady's throat. “Tell me. Where is my father? ”
 
“Dead,” she replied. “You killed him. Do you not remember? I suppose not. You were only three years old. You killed him as Yukiko killed her father. But she was only a baby, so it almost looked like an accident with her. As a matter of fact, no one realized you did it. No blood. You made it look like a heart attack. Then I sent you all to the orphanage. I had no idea you were still here, Shinro, or I`d have requested a meeting with you, as well as the twins. I thought you'd have been adopted. I didn't think the twins would be, because I requested for them not to be separated.”
 
“I was a baby?” Yukiko whispered, looking at Yuki. “But I remember it so clearly…”
 
“You'd have sent me to a home where they could discover my secret and turn me in?” Shinro glared at the old woman. “You'd have sent me to certain death?”
 
“No. I sent you to the orphanage, hoping you'd find a home and find your powers in secret. But you never found a home, apparently. You're all still here.”
 
“We are,” Yuki replied. “Together.”
 
“Stay together. I'm going to adopt you, but not to raise you. You're intelligent enough to make it on your own, aren't you? You're only eight, Shinro, but you're capable. And so are you, Yuki and Yukiko. You'd be surprised how moronic the children your age are outside the orphanage walls.”
 
“So we're leaving the orphanage?” Shinro asked.
 
“Yes. You're leaving to begin a mission…to allow magic users to live once more.”
 
“Do we accept?” Shinro asked Yuki and Yukiko. They nodded.
 
“Future accepts,” Yuki replied, turning to the woman. “We will secure freedom for us and for magic-users of the future. We accept.” Yukiko and Shinro smiled, nodding.
 
“Good. You're free then. I already signed the papers, now you need to sign them.” She handed them the adoption papers and looked to the door, where Miss Hara stood. “They accepted,” she said.
 
“Yes…I know…” Miss Hara hugged each of the children, whispering goodbye as they left the front door of the orphanage, never again to return.
 
“Goodbye. The children will build a bright future in which magic users and non-magic users can live happily…although I know you don't believe in magic.” With a laugh, the old woman disappeared, leaving Miss Hara to wonder what caused the illusion, and maybe, if only for an instant, realize that magic did exist.
 
 
 
“This place is so…so…” Yukiko searched for a word to describe the city they were in.
 
Beautiful? Yuki offered. Yukiko shook her head.
 
“Big?” Shinro offered next, laughing softly.
 
“No…more like…ominous…” She shivered, wishing for a jacket.
 
“Cold?” Shinro asked, concerned. “Maybe we should head back and see if the orphanage has any jackets.”
 
“I can handle it,” Yukiko replied, shivering again. “If you guys can handle the cold, so can I.”
 
Shinro looked at Yuki. “Are you cold?”
 
No. I'm a little bit hot, myself. It seems like summer…
 
“Just what I was thinking,” Shinro agreed. “Yukiko, are you ill?”
 
“I don't know.” She coughed a bit. “Maybe…”
 
“This isn't such a good idea,” Shinro said reluctantly. “If you're sick, we need money to see a doctor and get medicine…and we don't have money.”
 
“Well, Yuki used to sneak out and steal food from the shops,” Yukiko said weakly. “Maybe he could steal money…”
 
Yuki nodded solemnly. While you were speaking, I picked five people's pockets. We have about fifty dollars, right here.
 
“Good job, Yuki,” Shinro said. “Now we should find a doctor.”
 
“No, I'll be fine. We should find someplace to sleep for tonight. Then we can figure out our plan tomorrow.”
 
“We're going to find you a doctor, Yukiko,” Yuki insisted coldly. Since this was only the fourth time he'd spoken openly, she had to listen. Reluctantly, she nodded and they searched for a doctor.
 
 
 
“Well, this girl has the flu…where are your parents?” The doctor asked.
 
“We don't have them. We can take care of ourselves,” Shinro said. “What should we do? About the flu, I mean.”
 
“Stop kidding around. Tell me where your parents are so I can get my money.” The doctor growled, clenching his fists. Yuki handed him the money he had in his pocket.
 
“Is that enough?” Yukiko asked, coughing. “If not, we have more.”
 
“It's more than enough,” the doctor replied, somewhat more gently. “You need to get some medicine for it. I can make a prescription.”
 
“No, it's fine,” Yukiko said, jumping up. “I'll just get some over-the-counter medicine and it'll be okay.”
 
“It won't be okay. The flu is dangerous without the proper medicine.”
 
“I'll get some of that cold and flu stuff. Really, sir, I'll be fine.” Yukiko looked at Shinro, begging him to help.
 
“Yeah, she's right, she'll make it. We'll buy the cold and flu medicine.”
 
The doctor sighed dejectedly. “Fine. But if her condition worsens, you'd better come back. It's an order.” The three children nodded and left the office. The doctor suddenly realized he hadn't given them back the extra money they'd given him. He decided to keep it and give it back if they were to return.
 
“We didn't get any change, did we, Yuki?” Yukiko asked. Her brother shook his head.
 
No…but I assure you, I can get some more easily. Shall I?
 
“Go ahead,” Shinro told him. “We will definitely need it later.”
 
Yuki nodded and set off for his mission. Yukiko was having another coughing fit. Worried, Shinro put a hand on her shoulder. “We'll get the medicine soon…”
 
“I'll be fine,” Yukiko insisted. “Don't worry about me.”
 
“I am worried. The doctor said you have influenza.” He looked at her. “That's serious.”
 
“Shinro…” Yukiko smiled while coughing. “I'm a healer. If things get too bad, I can heal myself until we can find a decent doctor.”
 
“I'm still worried, Yukiko.” At this time Yuki came back, nodding to them. He handed Shinro a wad of paper money and sat down on a bench.
 
Shinro accepted the money and counted it. He grinned, fanning it out. “We're practically rich! How do you do it, Yuki?”
 
Yuki shook his head. Secret. I use my magic though.
 
“Thought so,” Yukiko replied. “Not even the best thief can get that much in that short of time with no one knowing.”
 
“Can you turn invisible or something?” Shinro asked.
 
Something like that. Yuki actually seemed amused, but Yukiko and Shinro decided not too ask anymore questions about how he had obtained the money. They had it, and that was what was important.
 
 
 
They slept that night on the bench, amazingly not interrupted by homeless people older than themselves who would try to force them up. When they awoke the next morning, Yukiko was humming cheerfully, obviously feeling a lot better, despite having not gotten medicine yet. Still, Yuki and Shinro insisted on going to the pharmacy.
 
They walked in, and Yukiko coughed a bit upon entering, but acted as if nothing had happened. Shinro and Yuki exchanged worried glances.
 
The pharmacist, an attractive woman in her mid-twenties, with red hair and green eyes, smiled at them. They waved at her and went to the aisle where the cold medicine was kept.
 
Yukiko closed her eyes and yawned. Shinro and Yuki looked at her, both thinking the same thing.
 
"You're trying to heal yourself, aren't you? And now you're getting tired because you're exhausting yourself," Shinro scolded.
 
"No, of course not," Yukiko said weakly. "I'm just a bit tired. I'm fine. Let's buy this and go. I saw a candy shop across the street, and I really would like some chocolate."
 
Yuki's stomach growled and he smiled slightly. Chocolate...yes, I'd like some, too. Let's get this medicine and go. We could also get some fruit for Yukiko...vitamin C is good for colds, right? So it must be good for the flu, too.
 
Shinro frowned. "I suppose so. Okay, let's pay for this and get out of here." He glanced worriedly at Yukiko, who was leaning on her brother. She smiled reassuringly at him.
 
"I'm fine, Shinro, really. If you want, we can find a nice family to stay with for a few days, and pay them for keeping us. Maybe that doctor..." She frowned suddenly and closed her eyes tightly, before falling limp against Yuki.
 
"Yukiko?" Yuki whispered, shaking her. Shinro grabbed her from Yuki. "I'm going to try to take her to the doctor. Here," he said, taking the bottle of medicine from Yukiko's hand and giving it to Yuki. "Pay for this and meet me us at the doctor's office. Be careful on your way there. I hate to leave you alone, but I'm too inexperienced to take you with us. I'm not even sure if I can take Yukiko..."
 
Yuki nodded. Go, he ordered. Shinro vanished. Yuki took the medicine up to the counter, and the pharmacist looked very confused.
 
"Where did the other children you were with go?" She asked, ringing it up.
 
Yuki was silent. He gestured to his throat with his hand, shaking his head. The pharmacist smiled sympathetically. She handed him the bag, and said goodbye. Yuki waved and raced down the street toward the doctor's office.
 
 
 
 
“Doctor, we're back.”
 
“I need to give you your change, anyway…you…” He gasped, looking at Yukiko's limp, pale, body. “She passed out?”
 
“Yes...as we were buying the medicine."
 
“That's not going to do her much good now...it's more than the flu. I don't know why I didn't realize that before. Um, you should stay here for the night. That other boy, too. I don't want you wandering the streets tonight. Understood?"
 
“Yes. Thank you, sir. Yuki should be here any minute.
 
Yuki walked in at that moment, carrying the bag with Yukiko's medicine in it. How is she?
 
I'm not entirely sure. Not good, I think. Ask the doctor...
 
“How is my sister?" Yuki asked softly, looking up at the doctor with watery eyes. He glanced at his sister who was lying on a bed, motionless.
 
The doctor frowned. “Still not good. Her blood pressure is low, her fever is high…I think she has pneumonia, honestly.”
 
“Pneumonia?” Shinro's face grew a ghastly shade of white. “No…not that…”
 
Yuki bit his lip, one of the few expressions he ever used. He spoke again. “Pneumonia…that will be hard to survive…” He looked away. “Even for her…”
 
“I don't know why this was undiagnosed until now. How long have you kids been on the streets?.”
 
"Since yesterday..."
 
"Yesterday? But where were you before that?"
 
"The orphanage..." Shinro was preoccupied by Yuki's voice in his mind.
Shinro, she can't die. We've got a mission…
Yuki, we won't let her die. We will stay strong…
To their astonishment and horror, Yukiko's mental voice rang through their minds.
Cold…scared…Yuki…Shinro…where? Need…help…so dark…can't find…light…need…light…candle…anything…n ow hot…so hot…like fire…burning…pain…it hurts so much. Help…
“Yukiko!” They screamed simultaneously. “Doctor, she's in pain!” Shinro cried.
“Yes, I know…the nurses and I will do all we can. I should tend to her now…a nurse will set up your cots.” He left for the emergency room, leaving the two boys behind.
“Yukiko…” Shinro whispered. A single tear fell from Yuki's right eye.
When she wakes up, she'll want chocolate. Let's go to that store now. It will make her happy.
I agree. The two boys linked arms and Shinro teleported them to an alleyway next to the candy shop, so that no one would see them.
 
“Kill them.”
 
Daisuke whimpered. “What? Who are you?”
 
“Kill them. Kill Yuki and Yukiko. Kill Shinro. They're magic users. Kill them.”
 
“N-Natsuro…?”
 
KILL them!”
 
Daisuke screamed as he awoke and looked around the room. He had no idea why he was having these nightmares. Shinro and the twins had left weeks before. They were already dead, or would die soon, he was certain. So why was he having dreams about Natsuro? And why did Natsuro call them magic users? It scared him badly, but it also excited him. He had no idea why it excited him so much. Daisuke was truly a coward at heart, and the thought of killing anyone was too much for him to bear.
 
Daisuke. It'll be all right. I'll help you. Daisuke screamed again as a flash appeared before him, and he passed out on his bed.
 
 
 
Yuki and Shinro left the candy store with five bags full of licorice, chocolate, and assorted other candies. They walked back to the alleyway and linked arms again, reappearing outside the doctor's office.
 
"You nearly gave me a heart attack!" The nurse who had just finished making their beds scolded them. "You just left without telling us!"
 
"We wanted to buy a present for Yukiko, our...our sister," Shinro said, biting his lip to keep from crying. The nurse softened and gently told them to go to bed.
 
Sister... Yuki whispered in Shinro's mind. You're our brother now...
 
Yes. We will stick together, after all.
 
They slept on the floor, instead of the cots, holding onto each other, and occasionally waking up to call silently for Yukiko, who never responded. At around six o'clock PM, they heard a reply from Yukiko. Yuki, Shinro... They sat up instantly.
 
Yukiko!
 
I feel weak. It's taking all my energy to talk to you. It's not like I can do anything else right now, though...
 
Shh, Yukiko. Rest. You need to rest, so that you can have the gifts we bought you earlier, Yuki said.
 
Gifts? That will speed my recovery...I hope. Even in their minds, her voice was straining. I'm sorry. I keep losing consciousness. I think it's happening again. I love you... She fell silent again, and the two boys ran to her side, where they stayed for two weeks, sleeping next to her.
 
 
 
“Doctor, it's been weeks, and she's been in and out of consciousness. We should tell them that it doesn't look very good.”
 
“I know we should, but…they have such high hopes, Nurse…I don't want to shatter them…”
 
“Her death will shatter them more.”
 
So what are they saying?
 
Same old stuff. Yukiko has a high chance of dying.
 
Damn…I'm going to die?
 
No, Yukiko. You're still able to talk to Yuki and I.
 
That doesn't mean anything. What if I do die? I'm actually scared…I never thought I'd be afraid of death…
 
You won't die, okay? Shinro was pacing in the waiting room, his and Yuki's place of residence for the time being.
 
Yukiko, just think positive. You'll live.
 
I'm going to die, She replied glumly.
 
You'll live. We'll make certain of it, Shinro told her.
 
I don't know how you plan on doing that. You're not healers.
 
All right, I'll tell them.”
 
“Good. Poor kids…”
 
“Doctor…” Shinro mumbled as the he entered the waiting room.
 
“Shinro, Yuki, I hate to tell you this, but…”
 
“There's a good chance of Yukiko dying?” Yuki asked softly, already knowing the answer. Shinro hugged him softly and looked at the doctor.
 
“Save her,” he ordered. “For Yuki's sake. They`ve been together their entire lives…”
 
“I'll do everything I can.”
 
In other words, I'm in God's hands now. Oh, God, I'm going to die!
 
“You are not going to die!” Yuki cried, hugging his sister. “I won't let you die!” The old doctor looked at him.
 
“Who…?”
 
Shinro clasped his hand over Yuki's mouth, although he didn't expect anymore words from the younger boy anyway. “You know how twins supposedly have that link?”
 
The doctor's eyes narrowed. “Be careful who you say that to. Some people might accuse you of using magic.”
 
“You'd turn us in for that?” Shinro asked, unmoved.
 
“No, I wouldn't. I disagree with the magic ban. But someone else would, and so you must be careful.”
 
“We are care…” Yuki closed his mouth before he could say anymore.
 
“We are…careful not to say anything to give them that impression. No one could accuse us of being magic users. It`s ridiculous,” Shinro said, making a quick cover-up.
 
“You'd be surprised…” The doctor bowed. “I need to go check on Yukiko again. I'll see you two later.”
 
Shinro, Yuki! It's cold! So cold! I think…oh my…I…I've left…I've left my body! I think I died! Can you hear me? I think I'm dead!
 
“Yukiko!” The two boys screamed. They ran into the office and saw the doctor, looking somberly at Yukiko's dead body.
 
“I…I did…all I could…” He turned around to look at the boys sadly. “I'm…I'm sorry…”
 
The boys each grabbed one of Yukiko's hands and closed their eyes, transferring all of their energy to her. Live, Yukiko, they commanded.
 
I will live, she replied, and slowly her soul drifted back into her body. Just a little more strength…that's all I need.
 
The boys felt themselves weakening more and more, but they continued giving Yukiko as much energy as they could, until they felt Yukiko stir.
 
“I'm alive…” Yukiko coughed and opened her eyes. “Are you two okay?”
 
“Yukiko…” Shinro whispered. “We should have gotten you the prescription earlier…”
 
“No…I would have stopped you…” She coughed and looked up at him. “It was scary. Death is scary…”
 
“Lay down, Yukiko,” Yuki ordered. He wiped a tear from his eye. “Don't you ever die without me, you jerk.”
 
“I won't. I promise. I'll kill you before I die. And you too, Shinro…if that's what you want.”
 
“That's what I want. But really, lie down.”
 
“As long as you two lie down, as well. You must be exhausted. I know I am.”
 
The doctor wandered over, wide-eyed. “You…you are alive…How?”
 
Yukiko nodded, lying back down. “Yes…”
 
“How did you…you were…” He looked at Yuki and Shinro, backing away from them. “You…you used…magic.” The children stared at him. He backed away. “You're all…magic users. You…”
 
“Go ahead and turn us in. We'll die together, at least,” Yukiko told him.
 
“And yes, we are magic users,” Shinro confirmed.
 
The doctor laughed softly. “Me turn you in? Of course I won't turn you in. I'd never do such a thing. I already told you that I disagree with the magic ban. But do you…do you know Madame Kuroi? Is that why you left your orphanage?”
 
“I don't think we know her,” Yukiko replied. “Who's she?”
 
“An old woman, a magic user. She's a terrible, wicked woman. She goes around to orphanages and finds children she knows to be magic users, and sets them off on their own. She hopes that they will sacrifice themselves to make a world where no one fears magic as they do now. A noble idea, in itself, but then again, she doesn't plan to sacrifice herself…she also believes that the children's deaths will look more appalling to people watching the executions at home on television, or reading about them in the newspapers. This is true, but to sacrifice the lives of children is the cruelest method of achieving her goals.”
 
“Her,” Shinro said gloomily. “I knew she was suspicious.”
 
“She wants us to die for her, huh?” Yuki asked.
 
“Yeah, for her and all the other cowardly magic users,” Yukiko growled.
 
“She's right, though. People would empathize with a child's death more than that of a seventy-year-old woman. They`d think you are innocent or something, whereas she would be a witch. No one would care if she died.”
 
“She's seventy?” Shinro asked. Yukiko giggled softly.
 
“Or older. Anyway, you're lucky you came to me and not another doctor…I, myself, have been trying to get the magic ban abolished for years. It's been around for nearly one hundred years. If I'm correct, Madame Kuroi may have been alive when it started.”
 
Yukiko closed her eyes. “I'm so tired…” The doctor nodded.
 
“Yes, that must have taken all of your strength. Sleep. All of you. I have something to show you when you wake up.”
 
 
 
The nest morning, the children woke up, remembering what had happened the night before. Yuki and Shinro reached under the cots and pulled out the bags of candy they had bought two weeks earlier. The three children divided it all up between them, and were sucking on some hard caramel candies when they saw the doctor watching them.
 
He gestured to them to follow him into another room. They did so, cautiously, still not certain that he wouldn't turn them in. He stopped, opened a drawer, and pulled something out. Yuki, Shinro, and Yukiko immediately ducked behind the door. The doctor laughed. "Don't worry, I'm not going to kill you. This is a video of some of our Anti-Magic Ban Association meetings. Here." He popped the video in the VCR.
 
"...And so we have to band together to take in any magic users we can find, to keep them from the police. The ban was entirely unjust, and is a merciless killing of people because of a problem caused by genetics. Yes, it's genetics that causes them to use magic, not free will. They are born with this ability, and will die with this ability, even if the government will not accept it. No one can teach magic to them, no one can take it away from them, and it will never be fully wiped out. They should be praised for being able to cure diseases, not banished from society. This is our cause, and we will fight for it." Throughout the speech, the camera panned on the audience. Now, however, it zoomed in on the speaker, who was receiving a standing ovation. The speaker was none other than the gray-haired, brown-eyed doctor in that very room. Yuki, Yukiko, and Shinro cocked their heads, looking at him.
 
"Indeed, I am the president of this association, and it includes both magic users and non-magic users. It's a shame that you have to try to hide such a wonderful gift..."

"It's really a shame that we must die for it," Shinro muttered darkly. Yuki nodded.
 
"You won't die for it, not with me around. I'll protect you."
 
"No," Yukiko said quietly. "We must revoke the laws our own way." Shinro nodded, and placed a hand on Yuki's right shoulder. Yukiko smiled sadly.
 
"He's right. We're leaving soon enough."
 
"You need a plan first." The doctor looked to Yukiko. “And you need to recover some more. And not with magic, either, as convenient as that may be. Didn't you boys buy her some medicine?”
 
"Yes.” Yuki reached in his pocket and removed the bottle of medication. He handed it to the doctor.
 
“We will wait until she recovers. But then we'll be off," Shinro said. The children walked out of the room. The doctor shut off the video, and, sighing, went back in to check on Yukiko.
 
"I'd like to adopt a boy," a woman told Miss Hara.
 
"Well, when would you like to schedule an appointment to see them?"
 
"As soon as possible." Daisuke peeked around the corner to watch. If he acted like a well-behaved child, this could be his ticket out of the orphanage and he'd be one step closer to killing the twins and Shinro. He continued listening to the conversation, grinning wildly.
 
"Tomorrow?"
 
"Can it be sooner?" The woman asked. "I'd like to meet the boys today. I'm so excited."
 
Miss Hara nodded, smiling. "You can meet some of them now." Daisuke, realizing this was his cue, stepped out of the corner.
 
"Miss Hara, the other kids won't play with me...I miss Natsuro." He rubbed his eyes, tears running down from them. A little bit of acting would make this woman fall in love with him. He smiled to himself, very pleased that he had finally worked out an ingenious plan on his own.
 
"Awww,” The woman and Miss Hara cried, running over. "Don't cry, sweetie," the woman said. "Was the boy who died...his friend?" She whispered to Miss Hara, who nodded.
 
"He's in heaven now, Daisuke..."
 
"Then where'd Shinro go? He's gone too. And the twins...I never got to apologize...I`m so sorry for hurting them when Natsuro was alive…"
 
"Awww," the woman repeated. "How would you like to come home with me? I'll play with you as much as you want."
 
"Really?" Daisuke sniffled, then smiled. "Okay."
 
Miss Hara smiled. "So you're going to adopt him?"
 
"Of course! What an adorable child!" The woman picked him up and hugged him. He giggled. It seemed as if he was laughing because he found a new home, but he was really laughing because he could now get his revenge for the death of Natsuro. Good boy, Natsuro. We'll get that traitor and his friends, don't worry.
 
 
 
As they lay in bed that night, Yuki and Shinro in one room and Yukiko in another, they communicated back and forth about what they would do after leaving the doctor's office, until they were all too tired to continue. Suddenly, while Shinro and Yukiko were sleeping, Yuki interrupted Shinro`s thoughts.
 
Shit, Yuki said. Shinro looked at him.
 
What?
 
Daisuke's out of the orphanage.
 
He's no problem. We can kill him.
 
Maybe...
 
Come on, Yuki, he can't kill us. He won't even try, if he has any intelligence at all.
 
Yuki laid down on his bed and closed his eyes. I bet he wants retribution.
 
He won't get it. Shinro did the same. We'll have to kill him. He won't find us anyway.
 
I hope you're right. Yuki yawned and turned over. Stay safe, Yukiko, Shinro.
 
I listened to your conversation. Shinro's right. Don't worry. He won't find us. Stay safe, you guys.
 
Yeah, stay safe... Shinro stared at the ceiling, wondering if, maybe, Daisuke might find them and kill them after all.
 
 
 
“Ma'am?” Daisuke asked sweetly, the afternoon after he had been adopted. “I'd like to go outside and play. May I, please?”
 
“Daisuke, please call me Mom,” the woman said, smiling. “Don't go too far. There are some kids nearby, and you can play with them.”
 
“Thank you…Mom.” Daisuke beamed as he ran out the door and down the street. Natsuro? If you're speaking to me through dreams, I'm ready to avenge your death. What should I do? Daisuke stood, silently looking out at the suburb.
 
I'm not speaking through your dreams, Daisuke. I'm inside your mind. I am a part of you now. I will lead you to them. Just let me lead the way.
 
Gotcha. I'll kill them for you, don't worry. They must die, especially that traitor, Shinro. He ran off, seemingly aimlessly, but with a definite destination in mind, nearly twenty miles away. He never returned to the woman's house.
 
 
 
“Yukiko is looking much better. Still, are you sure you want to leave?” The old doctor looked at each of the children worriedly.
 
“Yes. We have to find out how we can revoke that law…or die trying,” Yukiko replied.
 
“But thank you for everything…sir,” Shinro said.
 
“Don't…get hurt…” The doctor looked at the ground. “Now is the time for me to tell you my name. Doctor Hoshigawa. It may come in handy later.” He smiled and waved them out the door. “Go on.”
 
“That's it? You're just letting us go?” Shinro asked. The twins seemed just as shocked.
 
“Oh, don't think I won't be checking up on you. If you get hurt, I'll be there, okay? But you're right, you need to stop this senseless ban your own way.”
 
The children nodded slowly. “Right. We'll be on our way, then,” Yukiko announced.
 
“Be careful,” Doctor Hoshigawa told them as they left the office and headed down the road.
 
 
 
Daisuke ran through the door to the doctor's office and looked around madly. “Where are Yuki, Yukiko, and Shinro?” He demanded of the nurse, the first person he saw.
 
“Those kids who were staying here? You just missed them.”
 
Daisuke growled and ran out, slamming the door. At that moment, the doctor walked into the waiting room. “Was someone just here?”
 
“A boy looking for those kids…” Noting Doctor Hoshigawa's grim face, she asked, “What? What is it?”
 
“I hope that he's not an enemy of theirs,” he replied softly. “I really hope he doesn't…know.”
 
 
“Whoa…” Yukiko froze in her tracks. Shinro and Yuki stopped and ran back to her.
 
“What, do you feel sick again?” Shinro asked.
 
“No…I had a cold chill…like someone is watching me…”
 
Yuki closed his eyes and announced a minute later, “There's no one around, Yukiko…”
 
“I…I know. It's probably nothing. Come on, let's keep going.” She walked forward. Worried, Yuki and Shinro followed close behind her.
 
 
 
“Daisuke? Daisuke, where are you?” Daisuke's adopted mother looked around the street, searching for him. “Daisuke!” There was no reply. The streets were dark and silent. Daisuke was nowhere to be seen.
 
 
 
“Hello, Shikoshi City Orphanage.”
 
“Miss Hara?” The woman asked, out of breath.
 
“Yes? Aren't you the woman who adopted Daisuke yesterday?”
 
“Yes. Miss Hara, he's disappeared! I can't find him anywhere! I was hoping he'd found his way back to the orphanage…”
 
“No. He's not here. You lost him?”
 
“He asked to go outside to play. I didn't think anything would happen, but he's gone…”
 
“Oh no. I'll call the police. Continue looking.”
 
“All right.” She hung up the phone and ran outside to continue searching madly for her son.
 
 
 
Okay, Natsuro. They're not at the doctor's office, so where…? He froze and looked around. It's night. They'd be asleep, wouldn't they? What do you think? He reached into his pocket and pulled out Natsuro's knife, which he'd stolen from the garbage at the orphanage. Yes…that alley… Daisuke grinned, walking toward a dark alley where he was sure the twins and Shinro were sleeping. He walked into the alley, and seeing them all asleep, grabbed the closest, placing the knife against his or her throat. However, he was incorrect in thinking they were all asleep. He received a kick to the face before he could attempt to kill Yuki, who he had grabbed. This woke Yukiko and Yuki up. Shinro grabbed the knife and pulled Daisuke to his feet, glaring at him.
 
“What the hell are you doing here, you moron?” He demanded.
 
“Getting my revenge,” Daisuke answered, shoving Shinro down and tackling him.
 
Get Shinro! Kill him first! Natsuro's voice was shouting in his head, making it difficult to concentrate. He grabbed the knife back and plunged It down, aiming for Shinro's heart, but the smaller boy was too quick and moved, leaving Daisuke to slash at Shinro's arm. It hurt, but it wasn't fatal.
 
Yukiko quickly reached over and grabbed the knife, slashing at Daisuke's ankle, the only thing she could reach. Gritting his teeth, Daisuke grabbed it back, but Shinro was back up and kicked him to the ground again. Shinro then grabbed the knife and slashed Daisuke's other ankle, hoping to slow his enemy down.
 
Moron! Kill them now! Get up, GET UP!
 
Daisuke tried to stand up again, but failed, and, roaring with anger, grabbed the knife back. He reached for Yuki's foot and dragged him over, about to stab him in the forehead, but again, was kicked by Shinro. Daisuke found the strength, however, to stand up, and stabbed Shinro in the exact place he'd attempted to stab Yuki. He was about an eighth of an inch from succeeding when he fell over, frozen, a look of agony twisted on his face. Shinro fell back, his skin pale. Yuki looked over to his sister and saw that she had passed out. He ran over to her, at which point she woke up.
 
“He's dead…” She said weakly. Shinro slid to the ground, sitting against the wall, breathing deeply.
 
However, they weren't the only ones in this alley. The woman who had adopted Daisuke owned a car, after all, and had reached the alley. As luck would have it, she arrived just as Daisuke had fallen. She's seen a red light emanating from Yukiko, just as Daisuke had been stricken. She suspected magic, having been a major key in the arrest of many magic users in the past. As she drove off, she picked up her car telephone, and called the police.
 
 
 
As the police had been trained not to use sirens for such a call, they did not. They did not arrive in the usual police car, either. They were also not dressed in usual police attire. They walked into the alley, where Shinro was once again keeping watch as the twins slept, and walked over to him.
 
“Young man, do you realize that there is a corpse lying there?”
 
“Yes.” Shinro looked at them, three men, dressed in business uniforms. They weren't very suspicious-looking, but he couldn't be sure. Yuki, Yukiko! Get up!
 
One of the men turned around and seemed to be working with a miniature laptop. He turned around and smiled, nodding to the others. “Yes,” he told them all.
 
Shinro eyed them suspiciously as Yuki and Yukiko woke up. “What is it? Yukiko asked.
 
Is something happening? Yuki asked.
 
Shinro stared at the men, still. Yuki and Yukiko watched them, too.
 
Shit, Yuki said, wincing. Do you think…?
 
Don't be too pessimistic, Yuki, they're probably not…Yukiko stopped as she noticed that what seemed to be a tiny laptop was beeping as she communicated with Yuki. Yuki saw it, too.
 
“What do you want?” Shinro asked, standing up. “If you're here to arrest us…you obviously know who we are now…”
 
“Yes, you have confirmed our suspicions,” one of the men replied.
 
Yukiko glared at them and stood next to Shinro. “You want us dead. So kill us.”
 
The man with the telepathy detector shook his head. “We can't. It's against the law. We have to take you in and execute you by hanging or burning, unless you resist, in which case you will be shot here without a funeral or anyone knowing.”
 
Well, since they know who we are, and we know they know, let's discuss it using telepathy, since I don't think they can figure out exactly what we're saying. They just know we're saying something, Yuki suggested.
 
Let's turn ourselves in. We can have a public execution. Maybe our deaths…
 
Will lead to the salvation of the rest of the magic users? Shinro suggested, finishing Yukiko's thought.
 
Yes…good idea, Yuki said. Is it too late to tell you guys to stay safe?
 
Yeah. This is my fault, Yukiko said. You guys can escape if you want. I'll turn myself
 
No! Yuki and Shinro protested together.
 
What a pointless death. Too bad they`d refuse to give us a trial, Yukiko complained, sighing. “We turn ourselves in,” she announced. “Handcuff us or whatever.”
 
“Hold on one minute.” One of the men pulled three devices out of a bag and strapped them on the children. “These are tracking devices. Not even the strongest magic we've found can remove them. If you try to escape, we will track you down.”
 
They were led silently to the cars, each separated from the others. In her car, Yukiko made a decision. “Officer,” she said, looking in the rear view mirror.
 
“Yes?” He replied.
 
“Could I be executed first?”
 
He stopped the car and dialed something on his phone. He spoke in a low tone for a while and then drove again. He waited a few minutes before replying, “Yes. You were the one who killed that boy back there, after all, weren't you?”
 
“Yes.” Yukiko looked out the window at the scenery. “I've never been in a car before.”
 
“Why not?” The officer refused to look at her, starting to feel sympathetic. If he pitied her too much, he'd end up letting her go. So he tried to ignore the feeling that what he was doing was somehow wrong. After all, everyone who used magic had to be evil…right? But these were just children…
 
“I lived in the orphanage for most of my life, of course…no need to ride in a car there.”
 
The officer said nothing and continued the drive.
 
 
 
“Why were you all living on your own?” The officer in Yuki's car asked.
 
Yuki did not reply, but looked sadly out the window.
 
“Are you afraid of dying?” He asked, watching Yuki from the rearview mirror.
 
Yuki stared back, his blue eyes watching the officers dully. “It's not that.” He looked back out the window.
 
“What is it, then?”
 
“I don't want my sister or Shinro to die.”
 
The officer nodded and fought back the tears that had come to his eyes.
 
 
 
“Officer, I have a request.”
 
“Yes?” He did not look up from his driving.
 
“When you…kill the twins…please kill them quickly. Let me suffer. Make mine last as long as possible.”
 
“What are you talking about?” He narrowed his eyes, puzzled, watching Shinro through the rearview mirror.
 
“I failed. I haven't taken care of them at all.”
 
“You're a young boy. You couldn't…”
 
“I could. I could have taken more caution, listened to Yuki's warnings…I deserve a slow and painful death.” He clenched his fists and looked down at them. “It's my fault we're in this mess,” he whispered.
 
 
 
Six people walked solemnly into the police station that night. Yuki, Yukiko, and Shinro were immediately locked up. The three police officers watched them go, and walked quickly away, to be alone for a while. Suddenly they wondered if the law was unfair after all. How could three children as sweet as that be a threat to the world's safety?
 
We did it now, Yuki said from his cell, curled into a ball.
 
Yeah. I did. Yukiko punched the wall next to her. If I hadn't killed Natsuro, and then Daisuke…
 
I would be dead. And if I were dead, you two would be safe. It's my fault, not yours.
 
They said nothing for a few minutes. Anyway, I'm to die first.
 
What? Yuki asked. How do you know?
 
I requested it, Yukiko replied.
 
Don't be so sure, Shinro said.
 
What do you mean? Yuki asked. Shinro didn't reply. No one said any more that night; they were all asleep a minute later.
 
 
 
“In other news, three magic-using children were taken into custody earlier this evening…”
 
Doctor Hoshigawa ran into the waiting room, where several of his patients were seated, watching the news intently.
 
“These laws are horrible, those children are so young!” One woman said.
 
“But they keep us safe,” a man replied.
 
Doctor Hoshigawa looked at the screen just as three pictures popped up revealing what he had feared. “They've been captured…” He turned the television off and looked at the patients. “Something has come up and I need to go now. You may come in for your appointments tomorrow morning, free of charge. The nurse will stay here until you all leave.” He ran out the door before anyone could comment.
 
 
 
“I'm sure you all know why I called this emergency meeting,” Doctor Hoshigawa announced, standing at his podium in front of a crowded room. “We have to stop the execution, somehow. We could protest, but those of us who are magic users would be in some trouble if the police tried to investigate…”
 
There were mumbles from everyone in the room. Then a chant started. “Save the children! Save the children! Save the children!” All of the members of the association rose to their feet to recite the chant. Doctor Hoshigawa jumped on a chair and shouted the chant louder than anyone. A shrill whistle stopped the chaos, however, and everyone stopped to see what it was.
 
“Let fate play out!” A voice shouted from the back of the room. “If the children die, it will tear at the heartstrings of everyone around the world!”
 
“Madame…?” Doctor Hoshigawa asked. “I thought you'd want to save them.”
 
“I want to save as many magic users as possible. The protest will work, but in the end, let the children die. Don't go so far with the protest that you risk your own lives.”
 
“What are you saying, Madame?” Someone cried from the audience. “This is an outrage! We can't let them die!”
 
“They'd have died years ago if I hadn't saved them. At least now they have the chance to save the rest of the magic-using population as they die.”
 
Everyone in the room glared at her, but she didn't care. She went to the stage and looked Doctor Hoshigawa right in the eyes. “You don't know how it feels to be a magic user; an outcast; living in secrecy all your life. What right do you have to be president of our association?” There was a murmur of agreement from the crowd.
 
“I have more compassion for the lives of humans than you do, apparently, Madame.”
 
“I'm taking over. At least I know what's right for magic users. All the magic users here, join me! With the deaths of those three children, the laws will be revoked, and we will once again rise up and live with the mortals of this world! Without their deaths, the law will just be rewritten again later!”
 
Everyone remained seated, staring dumbly at her. One by one, magic users rose slowly and went up to stand next to her. In the end, half the room was onstage.
 
“Doctor, you may take your non-magic friends here and protest…but you won't change anything. Their deaths are inevitable.” Madame Kuroi laughed, and vanished. The rest of her group vanished a few seconds later, either by walking out the door or teleporting themselves away.
 
Doctor Hoshigawa looked at the remaining audience members. “If you would like, join me at the police station to protest all night. However, it's not an order. You may be killed if you join me. But if you decide to come along, get in your cars now, and follow me.” He walked out the stage door, not looking to see if anyone followed him as he drove to the police station.
 
 
 
All three children awoke suddenly, hearing noise outside. A police officer walked by, and, seeing them intently trying to figure out what was happening, stationed three televisions in front of their cells. “You will want to see this…” Smiling sadly, he turned them on a news channel and nodded, walking off to go outside.
 
“An amazing two million people have begun protesting the planned executions of the three magic-using children since we announced it an hour ago. The number is rapidly growing as more people are contacted. We have learned that the person in charge of the protests in none other than a local doctor named Hoshigawa…”

Doctor Hoshigawa! The children cried together in amazement. They watched the man appear on the television screen.
 
“Doctor, did you plan to have this many people involved in the protest?”
 
“I would have been happy with just one other person.”
 
“How did you find so many people willing to participate?”
 
“Well, once this protest is over, I'll no doubt be arrested, so it's safe to tell you, most of them are in a club. The Anti-Magic Ban Association.”
 
“Are you in charge of this organization?”
 
“I was.” The doctor got distracted, not listening to the reporter's next question. “I know these children. After all they've been through, they do not deserve to die in the least. I have one final message to send them: Stay safe.”
 
Did he just say… Yuki said, wide-eyed
 
Stay safe? Yukiko and Shinro finished.
 
How could he…we never said it out loud…did we? Yuki asked.
 
No. He must have…read our minds…
 
But only magic users can do that, Yukiko protested.
 
With that said, all three silently watched the news, seeing what was to become of them. For hours, nothing changed except that more people joined the protest. Then, the worst possible thing that could happen, happened.
 
“This just in…it has been decided that the execution of Yukiko will…” The reporter paused and frowned, looking closer at the paper. “Will…begin in one hour…”
 
“NO!” Shinro and Yuki screamed.
 
Yukiko smiled weakly as her cell door opened and an officer walked in. “I'm sorry…” he whispered, genuinely sorry. He nodded and she rose, both walking out.
 
“Wait!” Shinro shouted. “We…we…need to watch…”
 
The police officer grabbed Yukiko's hand and they both went to unlock the cells of Shinro and Yuki. Yuki immediately hugged his sister. “This can't be real…” he whispered.
 
Shinro hugged them both. “I can't believe it…we're going to die…”
 
They walked out into the front of the police station. A huge electric fence was erected to keep people from running in to stop the execution, a fence powerful enough to kill anyone who touched it.
 
“Burning or hanging?” The officer asked, watching her painfully.
 
“Burning,” she replied, walking to the platform. She was tied to a stake, and lighter fluid was poured on her. She closed her eyes, then opened them, and looked at Yuki and Shinro, who were hugging each other tightly. “Goodbye,” she whispered.
 
“Burning at the stake, huh? What a way to die!” A voice cried from the audience. Yukiko jerked her head around to see who it was.
 
“Of course, you killed me with my own knife!”
 
Yukiko screamed. “Natsuro!”
 
Yuki and Shinro jumped up and ran over to her. “What? You mean you saw his ghost or something?” Shinro demanded.
 
A police officer shoved them out of the way. “He's here! He's here, I know it! I heard him!” She was screaming hysterically, fighting against the officer holding her. “He's supposed to be dead!”
 
“They think you're crazy, Yukiko! You are! You killed me, and then you killed Daisuke! You do deserve to die, you bitch! You deserve it more than I ever did! And now you've dragged Shinro and Yuki with you! Selfish, that's what you are!”
 
“No!” She screamed again. “Natsuro, you're right! Save them! Please save Yuki and Shinro! It's my fault, not theirs!”
 
“Yukiko!” Yuki screamed, trying to break free of the officer's hold.
 
Shinro succeeded in breaking free, and ran to Yukiko again. “Where is he? Where's Natsuro?”
 
“I don't know…” Yukiko's lip quavered and she looked around. “I just hear him…”
 
“I'd never save their miserable lives. They deserve it. You just deserve it more. Die.” His voice faded out and stopped altogether.
 
“Natsuro…he was taunting me…” She was crying. Shinro wiped her tears away, fighting the guards who tried to pull him back again.
 
“Yukiko…you can't die…” he whispered. As he said that, he was instantly tied to the stake himself, with Yukiko standing next to him, staring in amazement.
 
“Shinro…” An officer pulled her back. “No! I'm supposed to be there! I deserve to die! Shinro doesn't deserve it!”
 
The officer held her next to Yuki. Yuki stared at her. Yukiko? It's you, isn't it? Shinro is up there, isn't he? He…switched places with you.
 
What do you mean? Yukiko looked down and saw that she was wearing Shinro's clothes. She screamed, but it was too late. The flames had spread. Shinro was engulfed.
 
Yuki tried, as quickly as he could, to drench the flames with water, but Shinro was already dead. Sobbing, Yuki and Yukiko hugged each other. The crowd was silently watching the corpse of Yukiko, which was slowly changing into the corpse of Shinro, as Yukiko was changing back into herself.
 
“Yukiko.” The voice belonged to Shinro.
 
“Shinro…?” She asked.
 
“I've only got a few minutes to tell you what I need to say. You can still escape. If you run as fast as--”
 
“No,” Yukiko whispered.
 
“No…?” Shinro's spirit asked.
 
“No. Yuki and I will join you shortly…goodbye, for now, Shinro.”
 
“Goodbye…it's much too late to say `stay safe', but for the sake of tradition…stay safe.”
 
“Yes…stay safe.”
 
“Stay safe, Shinro,” Yuki said, understanding that his sister was talking to Shinro's ghost.
 
“Kill us together,” Yukiko announced, standing up.
 
The audience wept as the twins went through the same setup as Yukiko already had, before Shinro took her place. They were doused with lighter fluid, and, finally, the match was lit, burning them to ashes. No one moved as the ashes of all three children blew in the breeze that had occurred so suddenly. Ashes moved in circles, winding around the crowd, and eventually, floating too far for anyone to see.
 
Madame Kuroi and her followers both mourned and rejoiced the next week when it was declared that the law had been revoked. It was also noted in the article that the day of the children's death, November third, would be a holiday in remembrance of them.