Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Vacation Girl ❯ Volume One, Chapter One: Arrive ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Arrive
Monday. The first day of summer is supposed to be, fun right? Not if you're Tsurimi Fumio. The boy still had school to deal with. First classes to finish his GED. Then, he had to pay off some massive bands debts. Fumio sighed over the bill.
Damn it!” he thought. “Did it have to be so expensive?” He looked up at the ceiling. Sure, he had a summer job. Working at the campus bookstore doesn't help, however. The boy still had other bills. Tuition was high on the list. And that was only half of it. Thank goodness for financial aid. Otherwise, he would be screwed. But, they haven't paid for this semester yet. Plus, he had to pay for books and food. Plus, band debts too.
Fumio totaled up the expenses. The figures could drive anyone crazy after a few days of calculating. 588,017.63¥.
I have to pay for all of this?!?” he thought. The freshman fell back onto the floor. He would need all summer to pay it off. Plus, all his friends went home for the summer. So, the boy was in deep financial crap and alone. Fumio sighed aloud again.
Could this summer get any worse?” he thought. Then came a knock at his door. The freshman turned and looked.
“Yes?” he asked. “Who is it?”
“It's me, Doi,” a girl's voice replied. Fumio sat up, looking puzzled.
“Huh?” he asked. The boy got up and walked to the door. He opened it crack and peeked out. The RA looked in at him. Her dull brown eyes pierced through him.
“Yes?” Fumio asked again.
“Tsurimi-kun,” she said. “You have a little visitor.” Fumio was really confused now.
“Huh?” he asked. The boy opened the door.
“Hiya!” a small voice cheered. Fumio looked down to a tiny face. She had a wide smile. This little girl still had on her dark blue and red sailor school uniform. Her yellow book bag looked loaded down to the ground. She waved at the boy again.
“Hiya!” she cheered. Fumio blinked. No, she was real.
“Sui-Topii?” he asked. “What are you doing here?” That's when he saw the bright pink Hello Kitty suitcases. He turned to the RA/
“What's going on here?” he asked. Doi shrugged at him.
“Don't ask me,” she said. “She asked which dorm you were in and I took her here.”
“I'm staying with you!” Sui-Topii cheered. Fumio's eyes shot open wide.
“What?!?” he yelled. Both the little girl and RA went into the dorm. Fumio still stood there shocked.
In a few minutes, Sui-Topii sat on Fumio's bed. Her brother paced around, trying to piece together what was going on.
“Okay,” the boy said. “Why are you here?” The little girl looked on with bright, wide eyes.
“Mommy and daddy set me here.”
“Why?”
“I wanted to see you.”
Fumio tried to not to look disappointed. “Really?”
Sui-Topii nodded. “Yeah.”
Silence. Fumio stared on at her. “And how long are you here with me?”
His sister smiled at him with a grin. “All summer long!”
Fumio's face dropped. “What?”
Sui-Topii smiled and nodded. “Yeah!” Her brother didn't speak for an extended moment.
“Uh…” he said. “Hang on for one moment, okay?” The freshman raced all the way to the kitchen. He drew out his cell phone and made the call. He waited as the other line rang.
“Pick up, pick up,” Fumio mumbled.
“Hello?” a man's voice asked on the other line. The freshman stood up straighter.
“Papa!”
“Fumio-kun. How are you?”
“Good. Uh… Why is Sui-Topii here, dad?”
“She misses you. So, we sent her to stay with you for the summer.”
“But, she can't!”
“Why not?”
Fumio pressed his lips together. “I can't afford to keep her for the summer!”
“But she misses you.”
“Why can't she stay with you or mom?”
“We're going on a honeymoon trip.”
“You're what?”
“Your mom and I are going to rekindle our relationship.”
“But…”
“Have a good summer with your sister!” Click!
Fumio lowered his phone to his chest. “Damn it!” he thought. Just like his parents—selfish and overindulgent. The freshman sighed. Well, too late now. He would have to deal with his little sister. Fumio walked back to his room.
He found that Sui-Topii had big teary eyes now. Her brother's face dropped.
“Sui-chan, what's the matter?” he asked. Her lower lip began to quiver.
“You don't want me here, do you?” she whimpered. Fumio felt himself becoming guilty for the phone conversation he just had.
“No,” he said. “No, it's not that.” Sui-Topii whimpered at him.
“So I can stay?” she asked. Her older brother sighed.
“Yes,” he said. “You can stay!”
“YAY!!!” the little girl cheered. She bounced up and down on the bed. Fumio sighed again. This is only the first day of summer.
Monday Afternoon