Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Vacation Girl ❯ Volume One, Chapter Three: Crush ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Crush
Wednesday.
Fumio headed out to the activity center for work. He dropped Sui-Topii off at the daycare center. She didn't enjoy the setup.
“But I want to stay with you,” she whined. Her brother shook his head.
“I'm sorry,” he said. “But I have to work.” The little girl pouted at him. Fumio gave her a little smile.
“Listen,” he said. “It's just the morning. I'll be yours this evening, okay?” Sui-Topii still frowned. Her brother patted her on the head.
“We'll even have lunch together. Whatever you like,” he promised. “Please smile for me.” The little girl frowned still.
“Please smile!” her brother begged. Sui-Topii pouted, but complied. Her brother began to feel better about himself.
“Very good,” he said. The freshman patted her on the head and went to work.
This morning felt guilty. Fumio suddenly felt bead for leaving his sister behind. But, what choice did he have? He really needed the money. Otherwise, he'd be homeless. But still…
“Problem?” a voice asked him. Fumio almost leapt around at that question. A girl his age smiled at him.
“Hi,” she said. The boy's cheeks turned a cotton candy pink.
“F-F-Fergi!” he exclaimed. The girl giggled at him.
“Of course it is!” she said. “Who else would it be?” Fumio shook his head.
“I guess you're right,” he said. She just smiled at him. Fergi had a weird charm to her. Pretty American girl. She came to Japan last year on a student visa. In fact, Fergi and Fumio went to the same school together. He met her in his English class last semester. From there, he developed an attraction to her. Fergi stared on at him.
“Something wrong?” she asked. The boy quickly shook his head.
“No!” he exclaimed. “No, nothing at all!” Fergi only smiled at him.
“You're weird,” she said. Fumio only chuckled.
“I guess I am,” he said. The boy clapped his hands together. “Right!” he said. “Off to work!” Fumio marched off to the lobby. Fergi gave him a puzzled look.
“The gym is that way, dude,” she pointed out as she pointed behind her. The guy turned and stared at her.
“Huh?” he asked. It took Fumio a moment to get the drift. “Oh… right…” He went in the right direction this time. Fergi only shook her head and followed behind.
So, the work day began. Once again, Fumio couldn't get it. Why do I act so stupid around Fergi?, he thought. I'm in college now! I should know how to talk to women by now. He sighed. Too bad it doesn't work that way.
“Hey buddy!” a voice yelled from behind. Fumio nearly fell face down to the ground with a slap to his back.
“Whoa!” he cried out. A guy laughed over his head.
“Sorry man,” he said. Fumio looked up with a frown.
“Tak!” he shouted. “I told you not to do that to me!” His co-worker laughed.
“Lighten up man!” he said. “It's only summer.” Fumio's frown deepened.
“I can't, remember?” he asked. Tak became serious.
“Oh yeah,” he said. “Your debts.” His pal nodded.
“Yeah,” he said. Both went quiet for a long moment. Tak tried to smile.
“Hey, you talked to Fergi yet?” he asked. Fumio quickly blushed.
“What?” he asked.
“You know, asked her out?”
“What? No!”
“Why not?”
Fumio puffed up his cheeks. “It's complicated.”
“How?”
“I don't know, it just is!”
Tak tried to hold back a laugh. Fumio looked on at him.
“What?” he asked.
“You're chicken!”
“I am not!”
“Then go ask Fergi out!”
Fumio rose up to his feet. “Fine then! I'll do it!” He walked right out the door. Tak smiled to himself. Got him!
Fergi filled out records at the first desk when she heard footsteps. She looked up to Fumio walking up to her. The girl gave him a little smile.
“Hey Fumio,” she said. The boy stopped right in front of her.
“Hey,” he said. His crush blinked.
“What's up?”
The boy shuffled his feet a bit. “Well, I was wondering…”
“Wondering what?”
He found to find the right words, but nothing came out. “Uh… uh…”
“Speak up, I have work to do.”
“Uh… well… I was wondering…”
Suddenly, the door burst open behind them. Fumio and Fergi looked up to see one of the daycare teachers running in. Puzzled, Fumio approached her.
“San, what's the matter?” he asked. The teacher paused to catch her breath.
“Your sister's gone!” she blurted out. Fumio's eyes shot wide open.
“WHAT?!?” he cried.
“We looked up from making the snacks in the kitchen and she was gone! We can't find her anywhere in the whole center!” the teacher cried. The freshman raced out the door. It never failed. Every time he tried to ask Fergi out, something else got in the way. This time, it was Sui-Topii. Oh, Fergi would just have to wait for now—
Wednesday Afternoon