Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Vendetta Theory ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Marcus lifted himself to his feet clumsily, rubbing his wrist that had absorbed most of his weight upon impact. His guide was by now quite a distance away from him and showed no sign of waiting for him to catch up. He hurriedly jogged after him, his mind still spinning. A short while later he was walking shoulder to shoulder with the blank faced man who continued onward in his brisk walk.
 
By now Marcus had grown a little short of breath and had to walk in silence for a moment before he had the composure to ask his burning question.
 
"Wha-what did you mean dead?" He at last puffed out.
 
"I meant exactly as I had spoke. I'm dead. Deceased. Departed. Not of the living status. No longer a consumer of oxygen, a propeller of blood. I've shuffled rather comfortably off of the mortal coil. My loins no longer-"
 
Marcus threw his hand up and interrupted, "Alright, alright, I get the picture! I don't need to hear any more talk about your loins okay?"
 
"Fair enough, but if my memory serves me you were the one who pried, I was rather ready to leave that conversation back where it had adjourned." He said.
 
This conversation had continued at his guide's vigorous pace so by now that bungee jump from Hell was just a blip of light in the distance. The hallway they had been walking in was long, sparse, and not well lighted. It was not cold, but not warm either. Another bright light that appeared to illuminate another room was off in the distance. As their were no twists or turns in the hallway that he could perceive it appeared the light would be their destination.
 
"What about me then. am I dead?"
 
"Well that is a trickier question. You very well might be."
 
"I'm Dead!"
 
"I said you might be. Might meaning a possibility or probability, not a definitive. Its possible the bullets might have killed you before I got there or I might have gotten there in time. I don't know and frankly I don't really care. Neither should you, because when you add it up you're not going back to Earth ever again anyway."