Other Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kagome's Trial ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Again, feedback is always welcome. Good, bad, it doesn't matter. I can even answer questions about the Golden Sun characters. I promise to get back to anyone with questions or just a comment in general in the next chapter.
 
~*~
 
Kagome had spent the entire day with the woman, Arianna, trying to learn how to communicate with her. So far she learned the words for household items, like chair and table. Of course, she didn't know every word for every item in the house, and she knew she wouldn't remember half the ones she knew now by the time tomorrow came, but she was making progress. She was currently trying to learn the names of dishes when the woman's head turned in response to something Kagome didn't catch. A few seconds later, the door slammed shut and the sound of footsteps was heard. Then, the girl who stood behind Arianna earlier was in the doorway. When she spotted Kagome, she ran over and said something Kagome couldn't understand. She seemed to be friendly, so Kagome assumed that she was trying to say hi.
 
“Hi, I'm Kagome,” she said nervously.
 
The girl looked confused, but her mother said something to her and her face cleared up. Kagome heard her name mentioned, so she guessed that Arianna had told her daughter what Kagome's name was. The girl turned to Kagome and asked, “Kagome?”
 
Kagome nodded. “Hai.”
 
The girl pointed to herself and said slowly and clearly, “Jenna.”
 
“Jenna?” Kagome repeated, trying to say the girl's name.
 
Jenna smiled and nodded happily. She turned to her mother and asked something, but Arianna shook her head. Jenna's face fell and she asked again, but whatever she was asking her mother didn't agree. In the end, Jenna hung her head and gave up. She looked back at her mother when Arianna asked her something and frowned. Responding in puzzled tones, she faced the direction she had come from and shouted something. Nothing answered her, but the sound of footsteps reached Kagome's ears and a boy that looked a little older than Jenna appeared in the doorway.
 
His brown hair was pulled into a loose ponytail that fell over his right shoulder. It looked like it was almost as long as her hair, which was surprising, as every other guy she had seen in this village had short hair. Like her, he was dressed in muted colors, not like his sister, who was wearing mauve and red. He had a pleasing face, but at the moment, it showed no expression whatsoever.
 
His mother said something to him, and he walked over to Kagome. His mother said something more insistently this time and he pointed to himself and said, “Felix.”
 
~*~
 
When they two of them got home, Jenna ran to the kitchen while Felix stood where he was, taking in the sounds in the kitchen. He heard Jenna start talking to the girl.
“Hi, I'm Jenna, who are you?” she asked.
 
There was no sound for a second, then a strange voice answered, “Konnichiwa, watashi wa Kagome desu.”
 
“She doesn't understand us quite yet, Jenna,” their mother said. “Her name is Kagome. To tell her your name, point to yourself and say your name.”
 
“Kagome?” Jenna asked. Felix assumed that she was just making sure she'd heard the girl's name correctly.
 
“Hai,” the voice said.
 
“Jenna,” Jenna said slowly, like she was talking to Garet when he was being particularly pigheaded.
 
“Jenna?” the voice repeated as if getting the feel of her name on her tongue.
 
“Mom, can we bring Isaac and Garet over to see her?” Jenna asked their mother.
 
“No, dear, we don't want to overwhelm her,” their mom explained. “She only just got here, and we want to help her adjust slowly.”
 
“But, Mom, they won't cause trouble. They just want to see her; they won't overwhelm her,” Jenna protested.
 
“No, dear. Maybe later, once she knows more of our language.”
 
Jenna sighed and hung her head.
 
“Oh, by the way, where's your brother?” Arianna asked.
 
“He came in with me, so I guess he's still standing in the doorway. Felix,” Jenna called him.
 
This is it, he said to himself and slowly walked to where his mother, sister, and a stranger waited for him. Stopping in the doorway, he saw his mother preparing dinner and his sister standing by the strange person.
 
At one glance she didn't seem too strange. She was dressed like other women in the village that were about to leave Vale for some reason or other. However, her black hair marked her as a foreigner, as well as her face. Her brown eyes were bright with curiosity, but also no small amount of apprehension.
 
“Introduce yourself to her, Felix,” his mother commanded when he didn't say anything.
 
Reluctantly he dragged his legs forward until he was right in front of the nervous girl. Not sure how to proceed, he looked back at his mother.
 
“Point to yourself and say your name,” she said, fed up with his stalling.
 
Feeling very foolish, he did as his mother said, pointed to himself and said, “Felix.”
 
“Felix,” she repeated after him. She smiled brightly, pointing to herself, responded, “Kagome.”
 
Dinner was both noisy and educational that night. Kagome sat between Jenna and their mother, and while they ate they taught Kagome the names of different random things, like what a fork was called or the name of a food. The food she picked up easier than the eating utensils. She kept calling a fork a “kumade”, a cup a “kappu”, a knife a “debabouchou”, and a plate a “pure-to”.
 
Felix didn't say much to anyone, but that was usual for him. He listened to Jenna and his parents educate the poor girl on what things were called. Figuring that they didn't need him to help her, he ate his food and watched them. Excusing himself when he was done, he put his dishes in the sink and went up to his room. Sitting on his bed, he looked at the chair by his desk and focused on just moving it. Technically, he wasn't supposed to be using Psynergy yet, but he figured that he should be able to something as simple as using Move on an object. Still, he couldn't make it move more than six inches; last time he tried he measured the exact distance it moved. Now he was trying to beat it by at least half an inch.
 
A knock on his door interrupted his concentration. Keeping back his frustration, he called, “Yes?”
 
Taking that as permission to enter, the door opened and Jenna popped her head in. “You took off really fast,” she commented as she came in. “What's the rush?”
 
“Nothing,” he answered her, giving the chair his attention again.
 
“Come on, Felix,” Jenna said as she flopped down beside him on his bed. “I know strangers make you nervous, but she's really nice, even if she can't communicate with us. She's really trying, though.”
 
He didn't say anything, just focused on the chair. Jenna followed his gaze and also stared at the chair, even though she had no idea what he was trying to do. They stayed like that for ten minutes, just staring at the desk chair. Finally, Jenna had enough of staring at an object for apparently no reason.
 
“What are you trying to do?” she asked. “We've been glaring at this poor chair for ten minutes, and it still hasn't grown extra legs and walked away.”
 
“I'm trying to make it move,” Felix answered her absently.
 
Jenna gaped at him. “I didn't think you could move something that big,” she commented.
 
“Most people can't at my age,” he explained, “but I've managed to move it six inches. Now I'm trying to beat that.”
 
“Oh.” Jenna stopped asking questions and watched him for another five minutes, but nothing happened.
 
Another knock on his door and their mother came in. “Jenna, will you stay with Kagome?” she asked. “She's a little frightened, but I think another girl's presence will help her calm down a bit.”
 
“Sure,” Jenna responded. Turning to her brother, she said good-bye and left with their mother.
 
Outside his door, Felix could hear Kagome join his mother and sister. Babbling in that foreign language she tried to tell them something, but neither they nor he could understand a word she said. His mother said something about needing to see Dora, Isaac's mother, for some reason, and left Jenna and Kagome alone.
 
“Let's go back to our room and we'll work on your vocabulary,” Jenna said cheerfully, and their footsteps faded as they walked away from his room.
 
Felix shook his head and once again concentrated on moving that darned desk chair.
 
~*~