Other Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kagome's Trial ❯ Chapter 10

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The promised I'm-sorry chapter.
 
~*~
 
Things changed drastically for the Valeans over the next three weeks. They were moved to their own home at the edge of Prox so no one would bother them. Saturos and Menardi would occasionally visit them, making sure they had everything they needed. Things turned a little sour when Kyle asked when they were allowed to return to Vale.
 
“You can't go back yet,” Saturos answered when he was asked.
 
“Why? Is something wrong?”
 
“You won't be able to return until the Lighthouses are relit,” Menardi said.
 
“You can't light the Lighthouses,” Arianna declared. “You need the Elemental Stars, and they don't exist.”
 
“The Lighthouses were lit sometime in the past, so it's possible for them to be relit. We just need the Elemental Stars.”
 
“And that's why you went to Vale,” Kyle stated.
 
“That's where we think they are. Everything we've read points at Mt. Aleph, but it could be held in one of the Lighthouses themselves.”
 
“Did you check the Lighthouses yet?”
 
“Mars Lighthouse and Jupiter Lighthouse,” Menardi answered. “They weren't there. We couldn't actually enter Jupiter Lighthouse, but we read what the walls said.”
 
“You do realize what you're doing is dangerous,” Eric spoke up. “If the Lighthouses are lit, then they will destroy the world.”
 
Saturos nodded. “There is that possibility,” he conceded, “but if we do nothing, then Weyard will slowly destroy itself, and it's been speeding up for some time now. I'd rather have a chance at life rather than do nothing and accept the destruction of Weyard.”
 
“I can't say I agree that it will save Weyard,” Kyle started, but Saturos was nodding.
 
“I didn't think you would,” he assured the man. “The teachings of Vale say that the end of the world will come if the Lighthouses shine once more. I don't agree with that any more than you agree with my beliefs, but I'm going to act on mine.”
 
“The elders won't let you,” Arianna quickly asserted.
 
Saturos laughed without humor. “They didn't let us last time, either. That didn't stop us from entering the inner chambers of the mountain.” He stood up. “I have more research to do, so I have to leave.”
 
“I also have work to do,” Menardi said, rising with her partner. “If you need anything, you know where Puelle's home is.”
 
The two Proxians left quickly. “Now they can't leave because they know too much,” Menardi muttered. “Why did you tell them all that?”
 
“They deserve to know their fate,” Saturos answered. “They couldn't leave anyway, so I thought they'd appreciate knowing what's going to happen if the Lighthouses they guard so well aren't lit.”
 
“They've believed in Vale's teachings too long for them to change their ways now.”
 
“I know,” he sighed. “There's nothing we can do about that now, but the children, Felix and Kagome, will be easier to change to our way of thinking.”
 
A small Proxian waved her arms wildly at them. “Menardi, Mother says you need to come home for dinner,” Karst called, running up to the pair.
 
“I'm coming,” Menardi told her, walking away with her younger sister. “See you in the practice ring tomorrow?” she asked over her shoulder.
 
“Count on it,” Saturos promised. He continued walking to his home and was very surprised when the second he walked in the door, Puelle was standing in front of him. “Can I help you?” he asked politely to cover his confusion.
 
“It's about the Valeans,” Puelle said, not beating around the bush. “Have you spoken with them?”
 
“Yes, just now. Why?”
 
“I think we will need their cooperation if we are to succeed in seeing the light shining in the Lighthouses again.”
 
Saturos shook his head, thinking of his conversation with them. “They'll never help us. Their beliefs are too ingrained in them.”
 
“But not in the younglings.”
 
Wasn't I just talking about this with Menardi? “I suppose,” he said slowly.
 
“They will need a mentor.”
 
Saturos didn't like the way this was heading. “If they are to learn our beliefs, then I think you are correct.”
 
“They couldn't stay with their parents; all our work would be undone then. I'd like for them to stay with someone they know.”
 
I knew this was going to happen. There goes my freedom. He heaved a sigh. “I'll take Felix,” he said.
 
“They must stay together,” Puelle insisted. “That way they'll learn much faster, and they'll be easier to handle when they're separated from their parents.”
 
Saturos backed up. “Whoa, whoa, whoa! I can take one, but I don't know if I can handle both of them. I have no experience with children.”
 
“Now's your chance to learn,” Puelle said cheerfully. “They'll probably be upset at first, but they'll get used to you.”
 
“Puelle, I know nothing about children, much less a female one. I may be able to handle Felix, but Kagome is a bit beyond me.”
 
“Menardi can advise you. Now, we'll go and get your charges now. I just wanted to warn you before they showed up on your doorstep.”
 
“So you knew they'd be staying with me,” Saturos stated.
 
“You are the only person who can pull this off since Menardi has a mother and younger sister to look after, and you live here mostly by yourself.”
 
“Ralom lives here.”
 
“He's gone most of the time nowadays. You are the best person for the job. Now, I'll go get them. Be prepared for scared and upset children. I'll be right back.”
 
“This is just great,” he moaned when Puelle had left. “Now I need to go prepare two of those extra rooms.” Using his Psynergy, he started the fires in the grates and searched the closets for blankets. Once the beds were made, he went upstairs to find one of the scrolls he was currently deciphering. Finding the scroll, he brought it downstairs and settled onto the couch to read and wait for Puelle. He became so engrossed in the hidden messages of the scroll that he lost track of time and was startled when he heard a knock on the door. With the scroll in hand, he opened the door and saw Puelle with the two children, both looking more upset than he thought they'd be.
 
“Here they are,” Puelle said unnecessarily, then left, leaving Saturos with two distressed children. Naturally, Saturos was on the edge of hysteria himself, which didn't help the two children.
 
“Um, come in,” he said, stepping back so they could enter. They hesitantly walked in.
 
“Why aren't we allowed to see the others?” Kagome asked him.
 
“Because Puelle said so,” Saturos said. “And you are allowed to see them at times, just not every day. I'll take you to your rooms; it's late, and I'm sure you two are tired.”
 
They followed him and went into the rooms he indicated without seeming to be aware of what they were doing. “My room is over there if you need anything,” he said, waving his hand in the general direction of his room.
 
Leaving them to do as they wished, he went to his room and started working on the scroll again. Hours passed, and the scroll enraptured him again so he almost didn't hear the knock at his door. “Come in,” he called absently, not looking up. He was surprised when he heard Felix's voice; he had been expecting Ralom, not the child. “What can I do for you?” he asked the boy.
 
“Are there any spare blankets around?” he asked hesitantly. “Kagome and I looked, but we couldn't find any.”
 
He thought hard about where Ralom would keep the blankets, but came up with a blank; he'd already put all of them in their rooms. “I think you already have all the spare blankets,” Saturos answered him. “Is it really that cold out there?”
 
The boy nodded. “It's fine,” he assured Saturos, though the man could see he was lying.
 
“No, this won't do,” Saturos contradicted him. “Wait here.” The boy did as he was told while Saturos left to find Kagome. “Come with me,” he commanded. She followed him as he gathered all the blankets off the beds and had her carry the pillows. He reentered his room with Kagome on his heels. Throwing his burden onto the bed, he turned to them and said, “You two can sleep in here tonight. It's the warmest room in the house right now, so you should sleep comfortably.” He picked up his scroll and started to exit the room when Felix stopped him.
 
“Where will you stay?” he asked.
 
“Upstairs,” he answered.
 
“We couldn't throw you out of your room,” Kagome said, standing by Felix.
 
Saturos smiled at them. “It'll be fine,” he assured them. “You need the heat more than I do.” He sidestepped them and left, taking the steps two at a time. Arriving at the top, he looked at his clock and did a double take. It can't be that late! Menardi is going to cream me tomorrow, no, today, if I don't get some sleep. Unfortunately, the scroll was calling him, and he was unable to resist. Propping his feet on the table, he sat back against the cushy chair and buried himself in its contents.
 
He was not expecting to find that the first thing he saw when he woke up was Menardi standing over him. “How did you get in here?” he asked, trying to sit up properly and failing because his whole body was stiff.
 
“I let myself in,” she answered, looking down at him. “Do you know what time it is?”
 
“No,” he answered, stretching in the chair, trying to get rid of the kinks in his body.
 
“It's now 11:50 in the morning,” she informed him. “You were supposed to be at the practice ring four hours ago. When you didn't show up, I came by to see if something happened. You didn't tell me that the children were staying with you.” Her tone became accusatory.
 
“I didn't know until I got home, which was when I saw Puelle and he told me.”
 
“Anyway, I came in and saw them up. You didn't tell them where the food was, so I took some things out of your pantry and gave it to them. Really, Saturos, you should've at least fed them.”
 
“You weren't the one who was kicked out of your room because they were cold,” he retorted grumpily. “Besides, I didn't know I'd sleep this late. Thank you for feeding them, though. Where's Ralom?”
 
“Gone, I suppose. I didn't see him.”
 
He stood up and, with her supporting him, made his way to the stairs. “I think I'm okay now,” he said, taking his arm off her shoulder.
 
“Are you sure?” she asked in concern.
 
“Yes,” he assured her. She followed him down the stairs and to the pantry. “Would you like anything?” he asked her while he rummaged through the food.
 
“No, I'm fine,” she said, watching him. “Why are the children with you?”
 
“Puelle wants me to teach them our way of thinking. The girl, Kagome, doesn't seem to have any Psynergetic ability, but she can help with Felix. He's the one we need the most. Puelle thought it would be best if we didn't separate them. Where are they, by the way?”
 
“In the living area,” she answered. “I put them there since I didn't think you'd want them messing with your scrolls.” She knew how attached he was to his scrolls.
 
“You have my eternal gratitude,” he said, locating something he felt like eating.
 
“But not your love?” she asked teasingly.
 
He let out his breath in amusement. “Of course, my love as well,” he grinned, grabbing her wrist and pulling her against him.
 
She wasn't expecting this, but apparently was willing to play along. “That's good to know,” she said, hooking her hands behind his neck.
 
“Really?” Leaving the food in the pantry, Saturos put his arms around her waist.
 
“Really.” Then Menardi took it a step farther. Moving quickly, she captured his lips with hers. It was meant to be fast and playful, but for some reason neither of them was willing to end it. She leaned into him, deepening the kiss. Eventually they did come apart.
 
“What was that for?” he asked a now blushing Menardi.
 
“For being you,” she replied impishly.
 
He laughed and reached into the pantry for his food again. “I should probably check on the younglings,” he told her.
 
“I'll go with you,” she volunteered.
 
They walked through the rooms to join Saturos' young charges.
 
~*~