Other Fan Fiction ❯ A House Fic ❯ One ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hello again. This chapter is an introductory thing. You get the hang of Lily's personality and how she reacts to the other characters.
 
disclaimer(s): do not own HOUSE MD. defintions come from Webster's Dictionary
 
House is fond of metaphors, thus giving me ideas for strange chapter titles. If you don't understand them, then perhaps my mind just works differently than yours. You may ask me about them, but my answers may not be satisfactory to you. Still, it's always better to try. Thankyou so much for reading my fanfic(s). Your attentions are greatly appreciated and inspiring.
 
sympathetic nervous system (n.) - the part of the automatic nervous system that tends to depress secretion, decrease smooth-muscle tone and contracticility, and cause vascular contraction. (doesn't that sound pleasant?)
 
Chapter One
On the Rocks
 
House stared vehemently at Lilian Baxter as she typed furiously at her new Toshiba. There was a stack of red folders, three feet tall, piled next to her desk. She'd gone through about a quarter of them in the past four hours and wasn't letting up.
Bored to death and not willing to resort to clinic duty, House did what he knew best how to do. He annoyed. "So, what happened to you?" He inquired sarcastically. "Bad night out? Someone steal your car? Sleep with the wrong
guy?"
Lily froze and whirled around in her chair. Her dark indigo pools burned into his bright ones. "Don't mess with me, House. I'm not a pushover like your team, and I've got Aunt Cuddy on my side."
Amused by her antics, House came back quickly, "That doesn't explain why you're so...testy. PMSing?"
"NO!" She blushed angrily. "She was right, you are an ass."
"Duh. Everybody knows that. Just works out that I'm a smartass, which is better or worse." He leaned back in his chair with a thoughtful expression. "I wonder which way that goes."
"Definitely worse," she informed him. "Worse than what I originally thought."
"Nice shirt. You know, if you lean forward any further I could see your-" A shoe hit him in the chest. Stunned, he picked it up and observed it. "Good aim," he commented.
"I was aiming for your mouth," she muttered darkly.
He shrugged, stood, and shoved her flip-flop in his shirt pocket. Her mouth fell open as he slipped out of the office, humming a little tune. Shaking with rage, she devised a plan to get back at him. That's when an orange glint caught her eye off his desk. House had forgotten his Vikaden. "Sucker," she hissed as she snatched it up.
 
* * *
 
"Congratulations, House. You've been degrated to shoe-thief. Any further and you'd be sleeping with Cameron."
"Ooo, that stung," House winked at a nurse as she walked by, rolling her eyes. He shrugged and dug his fork into his nice, free steak. He took a bite and swallowed before saying, "She's confusing."
"Who? Cameron?"
"No, you idiot. Lily."
"Why?" Wilson held a worried, albeit curious, expression.
House pointed out plainly, "She threw her shoe at me, insulted me, and I'm sure that by now, she's hidden my Vikaden in some deep, dark corner of the Universe."
"You left your Vikaden? Should I be worried?" Wilson took a bite of his salad.
House grinned. "She could never find all of it." Wilson agreed.
 
Meanwhile...
 
God, the man had loads of pills. They were stashed everywhere. When she was sure that she had found them all, there were twelve half empty bottles of pills and a ziplock full of them. She thought that he must have been in some serious pain to need that much medicine.
Lily had hidden them in a locker that Cuddy assigned to her. The job may have been easy, but that didn't mean that the hours were short. The deal was that when House was here, so was Lily. She didn't mind much, though. Work got her mind off of other things. An image of David flashed through her mind, and she quickly pushed it away. There was no use dwelling on the past.
Lily sat at her desk and started back on the paperwork. House had forms that were years old. Her fingers were already sore from the typing. Before she knew it, she was deep into her work, not noticing when House finally slipped back into his office and started rummaging through his hiding spots for pills. A considerable amount of time later, Lily felt something poking her irritably in the shoulder. "Can't find your meds?" she growled, still typing. "Or are you just poking me with that cane of yours for fun?"
"A little of both actually. You win. Where are my pills?"
"Somewhere in this hospital." She had a brief feeling of triumph until she heard him moan quietly. Frowning, she whirled around in her chair to face him. He was trying to hide it but wasn't doing a very good job. House was trying to stand casually, but his face was constricted in pain; he was gripping his cane so hard that his fingers were losing circulation, and leaning akwardly on his right leg. Lily rushed out of the office and down the hall to her locker. She grabbed the enormous bag of pills, bothering to snag a coke at the vending machine, and made her way back.
She flew into his office and threw the bag of pills at him. He caught it and dug through it to retrieve what he needed while she tore at the coke can. She finally turned to give the open can to him, but he had already shoved the pills down his throat. "Ew," she retorted. "Pills taste awful. You could have waited two more seconds."
Half glaring, House snatched the coke and drank half of it without stopping. When he was through, he told her quietly, "Thanks."
Smiling in earnest, the girl tried to help him to his chair. He snatched away, making her roll her eyes, and went to sit in it on his own. She went back to hers. "What happened?" she asked.
He was rubbing his leg and looking very unhappy. Now wasn't really the best time to be asking personal questions, she concluded, but he was a jerk, and he deserved the unfair treatment sometimes. "It's none of your business." So she left it at that and got back to work.
 
* * *
 
House was off on clinic duty, and she was so irritated by the silence that she simply couldn't take it anymore. Lily pulled up a website for online music and picked a song. Smiling, she started singing along and began typing away again.
 
House came into his office, and once again was unnoticed. Paradise City by Guns N'Roses was blaring from Lily's computer. She sang, unaware that he was behind her, and she sang badly. All the while, she was still doing her job, pecking away at the keyboard like it was all she knew.
She was persistent, he discovered, and stubborn. He was quite thankful to her for rounding up all of his Vikaden. He could never find a damn pill when he needed one and was often too lazy to look.
Now Foreman came into the office. He nearly balked at the bad singer's attempts at a high note. House put a finger to his lips and Foreman tried not to laugh. Next came Wilson for a chat, then Cuddy for an accusation, Chase came to tell House about some test results, and Cameron came because she couldn't find anyone. Soon, a crowd of people was standing silently behind the girl, and the song changed to Teenagers by My Chemical Romance.
Halfway through the song, Lily turned down the volume on her computer and continued typing away. "You know," she said loudly, making even House jump in surprise. "I can't sing, nor do I have eyes in the back of my head, but I can see out of the corner of my eye, and there is a glare on the window there that's given me full view of my unappreciative audience."
"Prove it," House challenged. "Who all's here?"
"You, Cuddy, Wilson, Foreman, Chase, Cameron, and three nurses from the first floor."
House whirled around and indeed, three stragglers were standing with the group that he hadn't noticed. "Damn." He grinned. "You're good."
"Just not visually impaired. Do I get payed for my little concert?" Lily turned around in her chair, blue eyes glittering with amusement. "Or shall I buy my own lunch?"
Then, to everyone's surprise, House said, "Sure. I'll buy. You like pizza, right?"
Grinning, Lily stopped the music altogether and jumped to her feet, grabbing her purse at the same time. She waved to everyone as she followed House out of the office.
 
* * *
Pizza Hut.
Yum.
House had ordered a peperoni with extra cheese and, to Lily's delight, banana peppers. She tore into a slice of pizza as House answered her most recent question. She had asked about his relationship with Cameron.
"Ugh." House looked almost offended. "That little goody goody is the worst type of doctor, all mushy and huggy."
Lily snorted. "Huggy?"
"She tends to think that hugs cure all problems."
She snickered. "Brilliantosity in a nutshell. Huggles cure cancer and the common cold. You didn't know that?"
House frowned. "You confuse me."
"How?" Lily asked. "I'm just a little weird, you know. Nothing too distilling."
"'Brilliantosity', where did that word come from?" House took a bite of his pizza while she answered. "Dunno. It's good though, right."
He raised a skeptical brow. She caved. "Oh alright! I read this book once right...it was called Angus, Thongs, and Full-frontal Snogging. The girl in the book was British. She said all kinds of weird things. She also had a habit of putting 'osity' at the ends of certain words. I thought it was neat-o, so I adapted what I call the Osity lingo."
House(now think, this is House) was staring at her with his mouth slightly agape. "WHAT was this book called again?"
"Angus, Thongs, and Full-frontal Snogging," she said matter-of-factly. House was silent for so long that she became worried. "You read porn?" he finally inquired. "First of all, ewww! Second of all...I think I love you!"
She rolled her eyes at him and grinned. "It's not porn!" House "hmphed" and started eating again. Lily studied him respectfully. House, for an old guy, was absolutely gorgeous. She couldn't explain why, but he just was. His eyes were his best feature. They were ice blue and as piercing as they were generous. Lily loved his eyes. The fact that he had a disability wasn't discouraging either. He was a total ass, but he was also funny and definitely not boring. Besides, she liked a challenge.
Lily smiled and happily continued eating her lunch.
* * *
Cameron stood outside of House's office the next morning. House was late as usual. He probably wouldn't come in for another hour or so. She was waiting on the new girl, Lilian, who was far too cunning and far too cute for her own good. Cameron pursed her lips as "new girl" came slowly around a corner, her eyes sweeping over the pages of a hard cover edition of Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer.
She barely noticed the young doctor standing in front of her's/House's office. "Oh, hi Cammy," she said automatically, making the older woman flinch. 'Cammy' was obviously not susceptible to her new sort-of-assistant. "Hey, Lily. You mind if I talk to you for a bit. House won't be in for a while."
"Okee-day," Lily replied airily. "Just let me drop this stuff off in the office." Cameron waited for the girl to dump her things at her own desk and come back out with a vague look on her face. "Tell me, Cammy, which would you choose; Overprotective vampire or far too friendly werewolf?"
"Um, werewolf?" Cameron replied uncertainly.
"Cur. No, Edward is definitely better. Anywho, sup?"
Shrugging off the new girl's weirdness, Cameron said, "It's about House, you see. He's not exactly um...normal."
"Okaaaay."
"I'm not trying to sound odd. It's just....um." Cameron seemed a little tongue tied. Luckily, House had eagerly explained Cameron's so called "crush" to Lily the day before. So it all made sense. "You like House. You want me to stay away from him, but you're too...polite to say so," she finished.
Cameron blushed and nodded. "Y-yes...House is a jerk, but he's also wonderful and-"
"In pain and helpless and needy and unable to take care of himself, so you are on a guilt trip about it and decided to let yourself care for him. Am I right?" Lily knew she might have taken that just a little too far. Unfortunately, she was right. Cameron's face turned redder, but she was angry, not embarrassed. "Look," she sassed, "I'm not trying to be a bitch, but you're already making me want to go down that road. I was trying to do this the NICE way."
"Pfft. Whatever you say, Cammy." Lily scuttled back into the office. Cameron stormed away, not willing to deal with her anger so openly.
* * *
Chase didn't bother hiding his attraction to the new girl, Lily Baxter. He was drooling over a mental image of her while House was discussing a patient with the team. Okay, so not really. House was swinging his cane around in an orderly fashion whilst Cameron whined to him about not doing his clinic duty. Foreman had his nose buried in a magazine. Chase was eating donuts and thinking about people who he should be ignoring. Across the white board several things were written: ~Missing three toes - mold. 20$ Foreman vs. Cameron & Chase, for House doing no clinic duty this week.Chase is gay. Cameron hearts House. Does not. Chase <3 Cameron.Does not! DOES NOT! STOP USING MY MARKERS!!!
um...Foreman didn't really care what was going on.
 
TO BE CONTINUED...