Other Fan Fiction ❯ A Paratrooper's Experience ❯ Carentan ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5
June 13, 1944
800 hours
 
 
 
 
It was a week later since our first mission. Now it was time for us to take Carentan itself. I had prayed all night until I fell asleep. Then a soldier interrupted my thoughts.
“ Stop daydreaming, we need to move.” It was Cpl. Tucker.
I caught up with the rest of the platoon. Equipment jiggled as we walked. Then Lt. Hilton, which was Commanding Officer, ordered us to stop. Everybody stopped in their tracks.
He called every squad leader to come near him. They whispered something and the squad leaders returned to their spot.
Just then, Lt. Boone, which was our squad leader, came to us and informed, “ We're going to take left flank. There's an MG42 in that building ahead. Avoid it and take cover there.” He pointed to a little structure.
Then everybody moved out. The cold sound of MG42 fire started. I ran as fast as I could to get to where we were supposed to take cover. Fortunately, I made it. But a lot of soldiers were getting hit. The only ones that made it to the structure were Anderson and I.
“ Covering Fire!” I told Anderson. He started to fire his M1 Garand to the direction of the MG42 fire.
“Where'd everybody go?” He asked while reloading his clip.
“ I don't know, Keep Firing!” I answered. Then the MG42 shifted its attention from us to the pathway where we came from. Then, 3 soldiers arrived and ran to our left side. A soldier took cover in our spot but stepped left a little bit. Then, he threw a grenade. I thought it was going to go inside the window where the machine gun was firing from but it blew up in front of the window.
I then heard fire from a K98K. I looked left and saw that the soldier who threw the grenade was dead. We hadn't notice a soldier firing his K98K from a staircase.
“ Sniper from the left flank!” I shouted.
A soldier that had taken cover to our left fired his Garand at the window. It killed a German near the MG42 but it didn't kill the gunner. Then the MG42reloaded giving us time to fire back. I immediately stood up and walked to where the MG42 was. I threw a grenade and got out of there as quick as possible.
I heard the grenade explode. Everybody then moved out.
“ Anderson, Smith, and Tucker clear that sector to the right.” Lt. Boone ordered. He pointed to a building on the right. We immediately ran to the open door of the building. I could still hear firing and explosions. When we got inside we saw that there was nobody.
“ You guys check upstairs, I'll check the back of the house.”
When I checked there was two Germans. I immediately pulled the trigger of my Thompson killing both Krauts. I got back to the house and Anderson and Tucker said that there was nobody.
Tucker immediately ran outside but was stopped dead by an MP40
“ Shit!” I exclaimed. I then reloaded my gun and fired at the German who had killed Tucker. When Anderson and I got outside, I turned right as Anderson followed me.
We got in front of a building with a staircase. This was the building where there was a German with a K98K. I saw his dead body lying at the staircase.
“ Fire at that window.” I ordered Anderson as I got my grenade ready. When he finished I lobbed my grenade inside the shattered window.
“ Get out of the street! They have 2 tanks!” someone screamed.
“ Get out of here!” someone else yelled.
Then an explosion knocked Anderson over. He was wounded on the leg.
“ Help me!” he shouted for help. I quickly ran to him and carried his body on my shoulders. I didn't know where to carry him. There was chaos everywhere. I quickly carried him inside a house.
“ Stay here,” I told him. He nodded. I quickly ran and got on top of a Tiger tank. I quickly opened the cover and threw a grenade. I jumped out just in time as it blew up.
The Krauts who were inside the tank got out as they were on fire.
Surprisingly, another tank came toward my direction. I froze and didn't know what to do.
Then even more surprising was it blew up. I then saw a soldier armed with a bazooka.
I grinned and ran back to where Anderson was. I quickly pulled him onto my shoulders.
I ran up to a medic.
“ Hey could you take care of him?” I asked.
“ Sure,” he replied.