Other Fan Fiction ❯ A Paratrooper's Experience ❯ Back to England. ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6
1000 hours
July 20, 1944
 
 
 
 
Finally! I couldn't believe we were going back to England. I also couldn't believe the whole war so far. The thought of surviving made me feel comfortable and relaxed.
As we made our way on to the plane, I thought about what had happened during the war so far.
It caused stress, hell, fatigue, and chaos. The big jump, the gunfights, and also taking Carentan were all in my thoughts.
Then I remembered about Anderson. He had become my best friend since. The last time I saw him was at a hospital where he was still trying to recover. The doctors said that he was recovering slowly, but surely.
Then, I changed my thoughts into Cpl. Tucker. I had seen him die with my own two eyes. He may have died, but he died a hero and soldier trying to die for his country. He had also received a medal for bravery and courage. I remembered all about defending that useless bunker.
“ Hey Smith, daydreaming again?” Jackson commented.
I slowly drifted back to reality.
“ Yeah,” I replied.
He grinned and looked at my dirty uniform and my filthy face.
“ You really need to take a shower,” Jackson joked but he was right. I did need a shower. My boots were also untidy. They had stepped on mud, flat ground, all kinds of terrain. I felt like sleeping but I couldn't, and then I realized that everybody was in the same state as me. Tired, dirty, stressed.
And then I thought about the war again. What would happen? Would we win? Or would the Germans triumph?
I tried not to think of it. It was suppose to be a happy day.
“ Hey guys anybody want some smokes?” A soldier asked.
“ Yeah!” Everybody except me exclaimed.
The soldier passed a pack of cigarettes around. I then realized that I was the only soldier in the whole company that wasn't enjoying the time. Then I grinned and fell asleep.