Other Fan Fiction ❯ A Paratrooper's Experience ❯ Mission Briefing ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 7
930 hours
August 28, 1944
 
 
 
 
 
I got my tray of food and sat down with the rest of my friends on the mess hall.
“ Hey Smith, I got some news.” Pfc. Anthony stated as I sat down.
“ What?” I asked curiously.
“ I was passing by when I overheard the officers talking about an airborne operation on Holland. I'm not sure though.” He answered my question.
“ I think they're planning it on mid- September.” Anthony added.
“ Well, if that's true we might as well enjoy our stay here.” Cpl. Armstrong advised as he ate his meat.
We shrugged and ate the food. When we were done we left and immediately went to the training grounds. By the time we got there I saw a soldier getting scolded by Lt. Col. Robert Martin.
“ Why are you here private!”
“ Because I want to be in the airborne, sir!” answered the poor soldier.
“ I can't here you private!”
“ I want to be in the airborne sir!”
“ Then go run 2 miles and come back here under 10 minutes! Let's go move it!” replied Lt. Col. Martin.
The private immediately ran as fast as he could. Then Anthony, Armstrong, and I joined the rest of the soldiers who were in line. Lt. Col. Martin then inspected the each of us and then said, “ Now you may be wondering why you are here. You have been called for an important reason. You have been called for another operation in the European front. Follow me and I will discuss the whole situation. Everybody jogged and followed.
He led us to the massive briefing room. “ Sit down dammit!” He bellowed. The room had a big projector and a huge board.
The huge projector quickly turned on and we saw a huge map. Lt. Col. Martin pointed to the country of Holland.
“ This operation will be called Operation Market-Garden. This operation will be a two-phase operation. Operation Market will be the airborne phase of the assault while Operation Garden will be the ground attack. The soldier of the First Allied Airborne Army is going to jump into the Netherlands. Since the 101st is part of the First Allied Airborne Army that means you. Unlike Normandy this operation will be happening in broad daylight. The First Allied Airborne Army is going to jump and secure a corridor from Eindhoven north to Arnhem, if succeeded; the British 30 Corps could push to IJesselmer. The main goal would be to cross the Rhine River and infiltrate the German West Wall defenses. Since Holland is occupied with ditches, dikes, and canals. So we the paratroopers will need to hold the bridges along the route secured. More details will be provided tomorrow. All of you are dismissed.” Lt. Col. Martin said.
Everybody quickly stood up and got out of the humongous room.
“ Man, the only reason I joined the damn paratroops is because my mom always made me do the dishes everyday.” Anthony stated as soon as we got out.
“ I can't believe we're going to Holland. I heard that a lot of Krauts are stationed there.” Cpl. Armstrong commented.
We continued to walk down the hall talking about the war.