Other Fan Fiction ❯ Aid Station ❯ Duty Calls ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Charles was laying in his bed in a comfortable position reading his book and listening to his Mozart when Hawkeye and BJ came in. He was oblivious to them at first, as he always tried to put the horrors of this place behind him while he read and listened to music, but something in BJ's hand caught. He sat up.
"I say Hunnicut is that wine?" He asked in an interested voice.
Hunnicut looked at him.
"Yeah, Peg sent it to me. Our old family friend, Charlie Morris gave it to her to give to me. To thank me for saving his kids life last year."
"Really?' Charles asked, his interest, indeed perked. "And uh, prey tell what is it called?" BJ looked at the label.
"Bourgone, 5 years old."
Charles eyes widened and he quickly stood up.
"Bourgone?! In this hell hole? Are you pulling my leg Hunnicut?"
"Well it's pretty hard to pull from here." BJ smiled. "Why good wine?"
"Good, good wine?" Gasped Winchester. "It's one of the very best! One you simply have to have in your collection. Why a wine like that in here is like, is like a gem." He quickly went to Hunnicut. "I'll give you $35 for it."
BJ's and Hawkeye's eyes both widened.
"$35 for wine?!" Hawkeye shouted. "Charles are you insane?"
Charles laughed.
"Yes of course, that was pretty foolish of me." He said and the others nodded. "$40." He added quickly. They stared at him.
"$45?" Charles asked in a pleading voice.
"Boy this must be some wine for you to give up so much money for it." BJ looked at it.
"Haha, yes of course it is. Now a fine young sir like yourself wouldn't be able to enjoy this nice wine because you don't know how to drink it properly."
"Oh I don't do I?" Hunnicut smiled and then popped the lid.
"Careful." Charles begged. "And no you don't, not under his influence." He jammed his finger towards Pierce's direction.
"Me, what did I do?" Pierce cried.
"Care for a drink Hawk?" BJ asked and grabbed two dirty small scotch glasses, whipped them with his shirt and poured it. Charles whimpered and moaned as they swallowed it.
"I think we're giving Charles a heart attack." BJ grinned. "Great wine though, not $45 great but great."
"Yeah, send Peg my thanks." Hawkeye grinned and looked at Winchester. "Charles you all right? You're turning blue."
"Well if I am it's all your fault! You ruined a perfectly good wine." Winned Charles.
"You want some cheese with that wine?" BJ asked playfully.
"Yes! I have the cheese, and I would have had the wine if you gave it to me!" Charles snapped.
"Well Charles, the only way you're going to get your hands on the rest of this wine is if I somehow get killed. I'll put it in my will." BJ smiled.
"And I'll help you write it." Charles snapped causing Hawkeye to laugh, clearly enjoying Charles's anguish.
Colonel. Potter came in looking tired from a night in the OR.
"Klinger just got a call from an Aid Station." He informed them.
"Great, so much for my dream that we were on a truce." Sighed Hawkeye.
"They need someone to come and help them." Potter told them.
"Please sir, I beg you do not pick me again. I have been there at least 3 times this past 4 months." Charles begged.
"I know Winchester, I'm not picking you. By the way Major, you look a little green. Are you sick?" Potter asked.
"If I am it's their fault." Charles spat and Sherman looked at the other two with a confused look.
"Long story." BJ said waving is hand.
"I see, are you doing anything today Hunnicut?"
BJ looked at the Colonel knowingly.
"I had the day off but I have the feeling I'm going to spend it at the Aid Station."
"You guessed correctly Hunnicut. I want every doctor here to spend equal time over there. It's only fair."
"Well as fair as you can get in a war with no rules." Hawkeye said.
"There are rules in any war Pierce." Potter informed him.
"Yeah, rules on how to kill more quickly and efficiently."
The Colonel pointed a finger at Peirce.
"I don't need this today Captain, comprede?"
"Fine, fine, just saying is all." Hawkeye said casually in his chair, holding his empty scotch glass.
"Now, an empty scotch glass, there's something I didn't think I'd see from you." Potter mused outloud. Hawkeye grinned at that.
"Yeah me neither."
"So when should I leave Colonel?" BJ pressed, getting them back onto the topic.
"Right away, they are being bombed pretty heavily." Potter said.
"Great." Sighed BJ. "Being bombed at is always something to look foward to."
"Ah, it's just the other side having a temper tantrum." Hawkeye shrugged, trying to hide his worry with the thought of his best friend going to such a dangerous location.
BJ smiled at that and Potter sighed and nodded.
"Well my work here for now is done, I'll be in my office if anyone needs me, oh and Hunnicut." He added before he left. BJ turned at looked at him.
"Yeah?"
"Be careful, and don't do anything stupid, like getting yourself killed." The Colonel told him gently, a softer and more caring spark in his eyes. BJ nodded.
"Sure thing Colonel."
Potter left the tent, his stomach tigher than normal. But he guessed that it was understandble. He just sent one of his finest men to one of the most dangerous places in Korea. He just hoped that Hunnicut kept his promise.
Charles and Hawkeye watched as BJ quickly gathered up some of his equipment, including an extra pair of clothes in case he had to spend the night. As he packed Charles laughed suddenly.
"What's so funny Charles?" Hunnicut asked, distracted.
"I just realized something, before I was quiet enviouse of you. But now I wouldn't trade places with you for anything."
Hawkeye glared at him, forgetting how selfish Charles could sound but BJ simply shrugged, brushing it off.
"Yeah, me too." He said with a short laugh and that was when Hawkeye realized that BJ was just as worried as he was, maybe more...