Other Fan Fiction ❯ Assembled Again ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
London
Henry Jekyll’s Residence

“You look so ill, Henry,” a man said tenderly. His dark eyes surveyed the thin form in the chair across from him. “Drink,” he pled, motioning to the cup of steaming tea in front of the other man.

“John. Oh, John!” the reedy voice of the other moaned, an indescribable agony in every word. “Only a child, John! He was only a child!”

“Henry,” John said slowly, “you vanished for years, and you returned just as suddenly… Where is the Henry I knew? What has happened to you, Henry? You obsess, my friend, over an urchin that was found strangled in the slums of London. This hardly the sort of news that should hold you. Now, if it were a high bred lady, perhaps--”

“You don’t understand, John!” Henry Jekyll cried out.

“Then explain it, Henry!”

“My will,” Henry said suddenly, holding a document out to John Utterson, ignoring his friend’s baffled expression at the sudden change of topics. “I have revised it. There is no mention of Edward Hyde in it.”

“Excellent!” John laughed. “You were so queer then, Henry. Leaving everything to a man none of those that were supposed to be close to you had even heard of!”

“Doctor Jekyll,” a dignified voice murmured as a man walked into the study, carrying a silver platter with a red envelope on it, “this arrived by evening post for you.”

Henry took up the envelope and whispered, “Poole, please escort Mr. Utterson out and leave me to myself for awhile.”

“Henry!” John exclaimed.

“John, please. I need to be alone,” Henry said, his voice an odd mix of a command and a plea. When Poole lead John out of the room and closed the door, Henry gazed at the envelope. A low, rough voice in his head was the only sound other than the crackling fire.

'Henry Jekyll of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?'