Other Fan Fiction ❯ Atomic Galaxy ❯ Chapter 14

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Atomic Galaxy: Solar System XIV

Planet 98: Not All that Shines is Golden

Betty's Point of View

It's just another day at school and it's hard to imagine that soon this will be over. In just a few weeks I'll graduate from high school. I must admit I'll miss it, but at the same time I'm happy. Granny helped me pick a college where I can have a more flexible schedule with enough time for the Galactic Guardians and having friends. Lately it's just been Galactic Guardians, academics with some family time squished in and hardly any time at all for friends.

That will all change soon. It'll be great to be away for college. I'll still come to visit my parents on the weekends and Sparky and X-5 offered to teleport me to Granny's house so I wouldn't have to take the long drive. It might take a while for me to graduate if I take few classes so I have more free time, but that's okay, I'm not really in a hurry since this is just like extra credit for me. I already have my career, I'm a Galactic Guardian.

Penelope is being more insistent then ever. I notice as I walk by and see her holding on to Dylan's arm for dear life. She's going to pull his arm off if she keeps doing that. I feel sorry for him with that look of distress. I wonder if he'll ever give in. I would help him, I want to help him, but I can't help it but to remember how he got fed up with my constant lateness and yelled at me at the pizza place where we were supposed to meet two hours earlier.

Honestly, I felt like digging a hole on the floor somehow and staying in there hidden forever. Sadly Penelope was there and soon half the mall knew. I can't blame him for being angry, but he didn't have to yell, I really didn't expect it from him.

As I leave the school and walk home, I look around in search of Noah, but don't see him anywhere. I wonder where he went? Funny how he must always be wondering where I am and now for the first time I wonder where he ran off to.

"Betty!" I turn to look at Dylan who's running after me. "Hey Betty, can I talk to you?"

"Sure."

"I wanted to apologize for the other day. I shouldn't have yelled at you like that. Forgive me?" He smiles that irresistible smile.

"You're forgiven and I'm sorry I was late."

"You're forgiven too. So do you have a date for the prom?"

I'm not sure what to say. Noah and Dylan are both my friends, just friends. I could say I don't have a date yet, because I don't. But then what if Noah asks? We usually go together to these school events and maybe prom shouldn't be any different. It's hard to decide. I've had a crush on Dylan for some time now, but I also like Noah and don't want to abandon him, then again shouldn't I go with someone because I truly want to? Okay, that aside I'll go with... I need time to think.

Before I can say anything my bracelet beeps. "I need to think about it." He asked if I had a date not if I wanted to go with him, but I assumed that would be his question.

"Call me to let me know," He doesn't sound satisfied with my answer, but not too disappointed.

"I'll call you soon, tonight or tomorrow at the latest." It shouldn't take too long to get a hold of Noah on the phone if I don't see him in person before then, so I don't think I'll be late for my call. I know it will be easier to decide once I talk to both. "Got to go, bye!"

xoxox xox xoxox

As I run off to find a private place where to answer this call I end up literally running into Noah, "sorry."

"It's okay," he looks at me then at the ground, then at me again. "So is it true that you're going to the prom with Dylan?"

"Did he say that?" I'm still conscious of the constant beeping.

"He said he was going to ask you and I thought you would go so..."

"I told him I would think about it, I have to go now, I'll call you later today." I run off yet again.

xoxox xox xoxox

I finally find myself alone and answer the call saluting, "Atomic Betty reporting for duty!"

"Atomic Betty, it's good that you finally answered, is everything alright?" Admiral Degill asks.

"Everything's fine sir," I'm not sure of what excuse to give him for taking so long to answer the call.

"Good, because we need your help right away, Princess Nova of planet Starlight is missing. The planet is divided into two kingdoms that are to be united by the marriage of princess Nova to prince Astro, if she is found on time. If not, this may mean a civil war that could devastate the planet. You must find the princess as soon as possible!"

This isn't that different from a few missions I had before, except this time there didn't appear to be any clues. "Are there any possible theories as to where the princess is?"

"Unfortunately not, planet Starlight has not received any communications asking for ransom, yet and the royal family is very worried. You must head there immediately and investigate."

"I'm on my way!" I salute once more and change into my Galactic Guardian uniform as I'm beamed up to the ship. There is one thing I completely missed, one detail that would put my secret in danger, I didn't know at the time, but Penelope was watching.

xoxox xox xoxox

"If those planets want to be one kingdom, why did they separate into two in the first place?" Sparky asked as we were on our way to planet Starlight. The mission seems too familiar. I'm sure we will be able to find some clues on planet Starlight and the investigation will progress from there. Maybe I was feeling a little overconfident, maybe that's why I missed very important details in the entire investigation process.

By the time we landed, X-5 was still telling Sparky exactly why the planet was divided into two kingdoms. He looked pretty bored and the truth is I'm bored by the history lesson also, but I didn't say anything. When we landed, we were escorted by the royal guards to meet the king and queen of the west region, princess Nova's parents.

"Galactic Guardians, I'm so glad you're here." The king looked like a human but had silver hair and eyes. "Find princess Nova, do anything you must just bring her back safely." During our short conversation, I noticed the king was very worried about his daughter's safety.

However, the queen was another story. She also looked human, her hair and eyes were a light blue. "Bring her back quickly, people have already started to exchange theories and some say she ran away because she didn't want to get married, but that is not true. My daughter would give her life for our kingdom and I don't want such things to be spoken of her." It looked as if she was more worried about the princess' reputation than the princess herself.

Either way, they were both counting on us to find her. "Is there anything we can do to help?" The king asked.

"I would like to ask you a few questions, your majesty," I replied.

"Go ahead," the king nodded.

Then the basic questions began. "When was the last time you saw Princess Nova?"

"She was on her way to meet prince Astro, but she never arrived," The king sounded sad.

"She's always on time, she's very punctual and responsible, something bad must have happened to her," the queen added.

"Was she alone?" Sparky asked.

"Yes..." The king answered. "She had gone all over the planet by herself before. Everyone knows her and cares for her. She had always been safe I don't know why that changed now."

"Besides," The queen added her own comment again. "She is a strong fighter, if anything did happen, I'm sure she could have defended herself long enough for help to arrive, she is even stronger than prince Astro."

Somehow, I get the feeling that the queen might not like prince Astro all that much. Of course, I can't tell her that directly, it would be disrespectful. "You don't like the prince much do you?" Sparky and his big mouth. I elbow him, hoping no one saw me do it and smile nervously.

"He is like his mother, but I'm sure Nova will help him change for the better once they're married," the queen ignored the 'be nice' look the king was giving her.

"Perhaps we will find more clues in the eastern region," X-5 suggested. "We should take the same route that Princess Nova took."

"She must have taken the royal road," the queen informed. "It is a road that circles the planet horizontally and only royalty are allowed to use it."

"In that case," I voice, "we will need your authorization to go to that road and search for clues."

"Of course, you may go anywhere you want, I prepared this access card when Admiral Degill said you were coming." The king hands me a small card with a glass like circle on the left and a magnetic black circle on the right. "I obtained your fingerprint data from Admiral Degill and as promised, I am informing you to confirm it is alright."

"It's fine," I agreed.

The king continues. "Place your finger on the black circle and it will identify you even with the glove on, the projector on the left will create a hologram which you must hold in front of the camera for the computer to confirm the recording of my voice and image."

The security system was kind of complicated. Each card was unique so every time a new one was issued a new recording was made with a password that worked for a specific person and a specific group of people in the company of that person. No two hologram videos looked the same and only the king, queen and princess could make valid videos. There was another copy in the main computer system at the palace that compared the two holograms to make sure they are exactly the same. That plus every time you walk through a door there is a metallic line along the door frame that at first glance looks like decoration but it's actually a scanner.

"The royal road's sensors indicate that she disappeared at this point." The kind handing me a keychain shaped like planet Starlight with a small switch on the side. It projects a map of the planet and obeys voice command to zoom in on a certain area and request information. There are some reference points marked, such as the location of both palaces and the point in which Nova was last detected in the royal road.

xoxox xox xoxox

With no time to waste, we go off to the royal road to investigate. On our way out of the palace, a girl of Sparky's species with light purple hair said something interesting. "Hi, I'm Comet, I'm Nova's friend... If you figure it out, please try to understand." She ran off after that. I think she worked at the palace, I wonder what she meant.

xoxox xox xoxox

The royal road is actually a bridge that goes in a straight line around the planet. It is surrounded by an almost indestructible type of glass and an energy force field. It's rather large in width and height, big enough for the Starcruiser and several other ships to fit inside its tunnel. The floor it decorated with jewels and there are gardens of rare flowers on the sides. So far nothing looks out of place.

Starlight is a very beautiful planet, called that because it glows like a star. From afar it looks like a star, but when you come close the light is less intense and it's actually pleasing to the eye. Since the planet itself emits light and heat, the fact that they don't have a sun or a large star near by doesn't interfere with the day light, however for that same reason there is no night.

It's a little strange to look at the sky and find no sun when the light looks just like the light on Earth, except for the part about not having the sun in your eyes. I'll have to remember to visit this planet again when this is over. Even a shiny glittery wild flower from here is very valuable in other planets. There is flora and fauna that can only be found here.

I snap myself out of the daydream. This is no time to picture myself walking down that road with Dylan on one arm and Noah on the other, which reminds me I need to decide who I'm attending the prom with. I've gone to every other event with Noah, but this time Dylan did ask first and I like them both, I can't decide... I'll think about it later, it looks like we're approaching the spot where the princess mysteriously disappeared.

Nothing, no clues, nothing; the place is intact and that's very suspicious. "Maybe it's time to pay a visit to prince Astro's palace."

xoxox xox xoxox

The visit was very short. Prince Astro just asked us to do what we could to find Princess Nova and notify him if we received a request for ransom, then he politely dismissed us, saying he had things to do. He also looks human with golden hair and eyes of the same color. Another suspicious thing is that the queen wasn't there.

According to Astro, his mother was with the council attending the preparations of the wedding. This is very suspicious indeed. Perhaps Nova's mother has a real reason to dislike Astro and his mother. Maybe someone is not telling everything they know, but why?

xoxox xox xoxox

We retuned to the western region to have a word with the queen about prince Astro, but we were informed by the guards that she was currently away, taking care of the princess' pet dragon so people wouldn't think Nova doesn't give her pet good care. The king was nowhere to be found either, he was off with a search party looking for his daughter.

It's just so strange that a princess could disappear from such high security place. How could she have just disappeared from the computer's watchful eye if there's a scanner on the royal road every certain number of feet and the place were her signal disappeared, as well as the rest of the way, had no clues or evidence of a fight or kidnapping occurrence. This really makes no sense. She must know how everything works around here, all the security. So if she was to escape unnoticed, she could.

We're about to leave to try to insist speaking with prince Astro again, his attitude was too calm, but then a guard runs to us with small hologram projector. Apparently he was instructed to bring any evidence their local investigators found to us. Suddenly the mystery starts to be solved.

There is a hologram video of Maximus asking for a considerable amount in either Starlight treasures or universal currency in exchange for freeing the princess. However, the princess doesn't appear in the video, which makes me doubt it. Maybe Maximus just wants to get rich out of this situation and doesn't have the princess, or maybe he does. Either way, this is the only clue we have so it's time to head off to Maximus' lair.

xoxox xox xoxox

Maximus' lair is oddly unguarded. Sure there are a few robots here and there, but it looks to me as if they're not trying to stop us, rather lead us somewhere. So instead of continuing, I crawled into a ventilation tube and told Sparky and X-5 to follow me. That appeared to catch the guards' attention, but we got away anyway.

It was from the ventilation system that I arrived above a room that reminded me of Mission Impossible. There I saw many treasures that looked like they came from planet Starlight. There were three people in that room. Maximus, Minimus and someone else. It looked like it was a silver haired woman of Sparky's species. "Do we have a deal?"

"Yes, this payment is acceptable," Maximus agreed. "The princess will never get in your way again." That woman must want to get rid of the princess, but why and who is she?

"Ready?" I whispered looking behind me at Sparky and X-5. They nodded their agreement and I kicked the ventilator's door open, falling from the ceiling into the room below. "You are both under arrest!"

"She's early," the woman was annoyed.

"How nice to see I'm expected," I drew my light saber. Maximus gets his light saber ready also and the woman tries to head for the door. Many guards run into the room and it looks like they're keeping Sparky and X-5 busy while I duel Maximus. Unfortunately, the silver haired Martian woman got away and from that moment on, everything became easier.

Maximus isn't making a big effort to win. That is suspicious, very suspicious. The guards that flooded the room are not too heavily armed either. Calling for some more guards, Maximus glances at a fancy clock on the wall, then runs out of the room. The mysterious woman escaped sometime during our battle about ten minutes ago. What's happening? I can't help it but to think that this is going as he planned and I'm falling right into a trap.

"We did it!" Sparky announces as we beat the last guard.

"We must find the princess, I have a feeling she's in great danger," I leave the room.

"It's Minimus!" Sparky spots him at the end of the hall as we run.

"Oh, no they are escaping!" Minimus runs off and I must say he's not a very good actor. I know he wants us to follow him.

"There is a 99% chance this is a trap," X-5 informs us. I agree with him, but there's not time to lose, this is our only clue.

"You're right, but we need to find the princess immediately." We are a little pressed for time since the princess has a wedding to attend, not to mention I have some phone calls to make.

Minimus doesn't run very fast and we could have caught him, but I signaled Sparky and X-5 to stay behind me. If we catch him now, he won't lead us all the way to wherever he's going, but I'm pretty sure it's important for our mission to go there. He might lead us to the princess. Maximus possibly has her hostage, but at least we'll find her and I'm sure we can figure something out from there.

Just as I thought Maximus, has the princess as a hostage but he has never taken a hostage like this before. There she is, princess Nova. She looks like a human like except she has silver hair and eyes like her father. She's tied up by various chains and Maximus is holding a gun to her head. "Don't step any closer Atomic Betty."

"How could you do this?" Sparky yelled in frustration.

"Please Galactic Guardians," Nova spoke softly. Her voice sounds oddly familiar but I can't recognize it. "Please leave now; I could not live with myself if harm comes to someone because of me."

"What do you want?" I ask firmly.

Maximus grins evilly. "Atomic Betty, you will-"

"Leave," Princess Nova interrupts.

Maximus looks at her then at me. "Atomic Betty, you will surrender."

I thought I saw the princess glare at him for just a moment before I nodded. "Chief!" "Captain!" Sparky and X-5 cried simultaneously as I stepped forward and let Minimus handcuff me.

"You two can go," Maximus told Sparky and X-5. "Go tell the Galactic Guardians that Atomic Betty has been defeated. Minimus the bracelet." The bracelet was my means of escape for later. But the situation is too dangerous, I'm sure Maximus having that big ego will try to come up with the perfect way to destroy me, so I'll have time to escape, but I can't endanger Nova.

"Minimus don't," Nova speaks and surprisingly, Minimus steps away.

"This may be a good time to tell you Nova, that the gun is real," Maximus hissed. This is beginning to sound as if it was all arranged.

Nova glares at him and in a matter of seconds where the princess once was, now stands a dragon. The dragon broke off the chains easily and took Maximus' gun in her mouth spitting out a chewed ball of metal on the floor as easily as one chews bubble gum. She broke off my handcuffs with her sharp claws and roared causing, anything made of glass to shatter. We all covered our ears and watched Maximus run away with Minimus following him. Nova then turned into a human. "I'm sorry it didn't work out, but you wouldn't be willing to lie for me, would you?"

"What are you talking about? What's really going on?" I demand to know.

Nova sighed, giving up the act. "I don't want to live in Starlight anymore. That place hides a dark secret. I can't tell you what it is and if you discover it, you must understand why it's best that you don't know." Her words remind me of what the girl in the palace said. "I don't want to cause Starlight any problems, but I don't want to be a part of it, so I paid Maximus to help me fake my death. Your purpose here was to witness it and take the message to my parents, but I don't want you to get hurt because of me. People might get hurt because of my parents and Astro, but not because of me, I won't be like them." Needless to say her confession is very confusing and surprising. "We should go, Maximus might come back looking for us soon."

xoxox xox xoxox

Once we're back in the Starcruiser, I try to clear things up. "What is this secret that planet Starlight hides?"

"I told you I don't want to incriminate anyone. They'll come after me if I do. I just want out," Nova speaks sadly.

I don't think I'll get a lot of information from her on the subject. "How did you turn into a dragon?" Sparky asks.

This question appears to be acceptable and Nova has no objection in answering it. "The people of my planet can turn into any species that they've come in contact with. I have a pet dragon so I can turn into one."

"Are you like Chameleon?" Sparky is curious.

"No," Nova explains, "we are of different species. My species' transformation ability is limited and we don't have an original form like his does, if we ever did, no one remembers what it was. Basically, a child will be born of the same species of the mother at the time of birth. When we come in contact with another species, we can turn into it at will. Being around someone of my own race that has the ability to turn into another isn't enough, I would have to come in contact with an original of a particular race to gain the ability to transform into it. Besides, I can't change details like the color of my hair, only my species."

This is very interesting information that no one on planet Starlight cared to mention. Now it starts to make sense why there are so many different species living on Starlight, they're actually the same species in different forms. "What are your other forms?" X-5 asked.

"A dragon, but only that particular type of dragon since it's the only kind I've been around. That was done for protection; those dragons are very strong but not too big. I was born as a human and those are the only two forms I'm supposed to have, but my best friend Comet is a Martian." Now I understand the one I saw before with Maximus was actually Nova. "She's not supposed to be at the palace but she tells everyone she was born that way and has never been outside of Starlight so she can't change. If she's discovered, her life will be in danger."

"We won't tell anyone," I say truthfully, yet I wonder why would she be in danger? Why does she have to pretend to be a native of Starlight? Maybe it's related to this secret that Nova refuses to tell.

"Finally, my other form is a lynx, which I recently acquired, shaking hands is not uncommon when completing a deal in this area of the galaxy. Maximus never suspected what I was really doing." Nova explains "The best you can do is tell them Maximus killed me and keep the secret, he won't mind the accusation, I already paid him to accept it and even if he couldn't take advantage of our deal against you, I'm sure he would still take the evil credit."

I shake my head, "I can't do that." What could make a princess want to run away so badly? "Please tell us what's going on, if you're afraid to be hurt, the Galactic Guardians will protect you."

"I don't want to incriminate my parents. Astro is the worse of all, but I don't want anything to get blamed on my parents. Ever since I was little, they always gave me everything I ever wanted. I had my escape all planned out. I have a mansion and a fortune with another identity some place far away. I got that with their money, I grew up with everything a little girl could want because of them. It's not like they made a big effort to stop me from escaping. Mom is clueless about it and I suspect dad knows and let me do it. An accusation is no way to repay them," Nova insisted.

"You're being selfish," I didn't care to watch my words. "Just because they took good care of you doesn't make it alright to hurt other people."

"I know that," Nova yells angrily. "I won't stand in your way but I won't help you, why can't you understand that I don't want to be involved? This isn't my problem; I didn't choose to be born as the princess of a corrupt planet. I will not get involved. I'll go back to Starlight now but I won't be there for too long." The rest of the trip back to planet Starlight passed in silence.

xoxox xox xoxox

When we arrived on planet Starlight, Nova's father was happy to see her, but her mother only gave her a disappointed look. I think they know she ran away. Their security is just too advanced to get passed it unless one was allowed full access to the system and there are only so many people who can do that in the western region. The east has its own security system. Since that's where the wedding will take place that's where we will head tomorrow.

We are invited to attend the wedding the following day. We accepted so that we can continue the investigations without looking suspicious. I returned to Earth after informing Admiral Degill about the situation on Starlight. It appears no one knows what this dark secret could be. I think Nova is trying to tell us, she's just afraid about what may happen if she does.

xoxox xox xoxox

When I get to Earth I'm drowned in bad news. I go check my emails to try to relax and I find an attachment on an email from Penelope. In the email she goes on and on about how people are taking cameras to school to take pictures of their classmates whom they might not see in a long time after graduation and that she took a video camera along. She brags about her high tech camera for a while, then finally gets to the point.

Penelope caught me on video when I was called for my mission. I download the attached file and view it, it's true, there's the video of my being beamed up to the ship, you can even see a hologram of Admiral Degill in the beginning and then Starcruiser as I'm beamed up. She said that if I didn't stay away from Dylan she would send the video to a show called Mysterious Mysteries that is all about aliens. Just what I needed; blackmail.

Things keep going down hill, as soon as I disconnect from the internet and try to think of a plan to get that video away from Penelope, the phone rings. I answer it and it's Noah, calling to say he can't go to the prom so I should go with Dylan. When I ask him why, he tells me he had an accident and is calling from the hospital. It turns out he was hit by a bus and if I catch that driver... No time to think of torture now, I promised I would go visit and I will keep that promise.

xoxox xox xoxox

I arrived at the hospital quickly. But just as I'm entering, my bracelet starts to beep, not now, I can't be late this time. I sigh and look around for a bathroom or something. I hide in one of the stalls and answer the call saluting.

Admiral Degill appears very worried. "Atomic Betty, we have a problem on Starlight!"

Looks like there's no way I can postpone this,"what happened?"

"It appears that prince Astro has gone crazy, he's threatening to destroy near by planets if princess Nova doesn't return!" Admiral Degill informs.

I gasp, how could this be? My day can't possibly get any worse. "Where is she now?"

"No one knows for certain."

"I'm on my way," I'm beamed up to the Starcruiser. There are days when life just sucks.

xoxox xox xoxox

"Where should we go chief?" Sparky asks.

"We need to find princess Nova, I think she will be able to explain everything." I need to think of a plan. "Head to the west region of planet Starlight, I think I know who might be able to tell us where Nova went."

xoxox xox xoxox

When we arrived at planet Starlight, we quickly headed to the western palace in search of Comet. My plan is to take her with us on the ship for her safety. Being Nova's best friend, she might know where Nova went, what she said earlier sounded as if she also knew of that secret Nova refuses to tell.

"Atomic Betty, what brings you to the west side again?" The king asks as we're running down a palace hall.

"We're here to investigate," I reply firmly, skipping the formalities. "We want to hear the truth about what's going on?"

"I don't know what's going on," The king sounds angry. "I'm not sure why Astro is acting this way but I assure you your presence here is not needed, this is an internal matter and we will not require the presence of the Galactic Guardians any longer. I thank you for bringing Nova back, but it seems that she has disappeared again, so if you want to help, find her and bring her here where she'll be safe," the king left.

"Galactic Guardians," I heard someone calling from behind a large pillar. We heard in that direction and discover it's Comet. "Prince Astro fears princess Nova will reveal too much information about planet Starlight. You must tell him she will not reveal anything. Please don't ask me anything, just say she will keep the secret. Tell him that and this will be over."

"No, we're not going anywhere until we know what's really going on," I insist.

"You know you have to tell us," Sparky added. "If you tell us, we can help."

Comet shook her head. "If I tell you, I will put Nova in danger."

"You've said too much!" A guard jumped out of nowhere and shot lasers at Comet.

I tried to get her out of the way, but I wasn't fast enough. "Comet!"

"Chief, is she?" Sparky was shocked.

"I don't know," I shook her gently, but there was no reaction.

"Her vital signs are gone," X-5 informed us sadly.

The palace guards have circled us by now, pointing various types of deadly laser guns at us. "Don't move!" There's nothing to be done now, we're surrounded and attempting an escape is too dangerous at this point.

xoxox xox xoxox

We're taken to an underground dungeon and locked up in a cell with a force field around it, scheduled to be executed tomorrow, they probably need the time to device a cover up.

"The odds of a successful escape are 574,251 to 1," X-5 examined the force field.

"We're gonna die!" Sparky cried. "Worse, we'll die with empty stomachs!"

"We're not going to die; we'll find a way to get out of here. Don't forget we've been in hard situations before and gotten out of them, this won't be any different." I use the laser in my bracelet and try to get rid of the force field to no effect. "Sparky do you have your pistol?"

Sparky aimed the weapon at the force filed and fired to no effect.

X-5 cautiously approached the force field. "It absorbs energy and keeps anything solid from going to the other side."

We sat there in silence for a few more minutes, trying to think of a plan, then a guard came by. "Know what this is?" He pointed to a high tech gun and grinning evilly. "It can penetrate the force field without harming it, but it will certainly harm you. I guess your final appointment was rescheduled for today, no need to take risks."

So that's it? He's just going to shoot us? This can't be the end, something has to happen. Something unexpected, something, anything... There a blast of light from the corridor and a large ball of electricity hit the guard, knocking him unconscious on the cold metal floor.

"We're saved!" Sparky cheered.

"Who saved us?" We watch as someone caring an electric gun equipped with a little flashlight approaches our dark dungeon cell.

"Boss, are you in there?" It was none other than Minimus PU. He's the last person I expected to come. "Atomic Betty?" His head turns around so his angry face is looking at us. "I guess someone managed to capture you and was about to end your life? Wait till the boss hears about this!" Then his head turned around again, going back to his normal face. "I don't think I'll tell him after all, he might think I saved you on purpose and it was an accident. By the way, you haven't seen his evilness around here, have you?"

"No, but we'll help you find him if you let us out," I'm not actually expecting him to fall for it.

"Okay," Minimus goes over to a control panel. "Which button is it?"

I stood there for a moment, completely surprised by this turn of events and X-5 had to answer for me. "I saw the guard push the third button from the left in the second row from the top."

Minimus pushed the button X-5 told him to and the force field on the cell disappeared. "Let's go before it's too late."

"Wait," ran in front of Minimus. "What's going on?" I'm tired of being kept in the dark about everything.

"The boss is in great danger and I'm here to save him, but I can't find him." Minimus urged.

"Details?" Sparky was getting impatiet.

"Hidden among the treasures princess Nova brought as payment was a microscopic robot that infiltrated the lair's main computer system, infecting it with a virus that temporarily disabled the security system including the robot army. During that time, while we were trying to repair it, Astro's soldiers captured his evilness. I called Nova about it, but she claims she had no idea that one of the security robots was still in the treasures. She thought she removed them all when she stole the treasures from the east palace, because she didn't want to steal from her own kingdom. She said that Astro must have activated the robot and sent it to disable the security system so he could capture the boss, but that it wasn't her fault, so I should keep her out of it," Minimus explained.

As we're about to exit the dungeon, someone comes running from another corridor. "Quit complaining and run!" A girl yells; I've heard her before, Nova?

"Wait up, this is all your fault!" Is that Maximus?

"Boss?" Minimus calls. They turn the corner and I was right, it's Nova and Maximus. "You're safe!"

"Minimus? How did you get here? You came looking for me?" Maximus appears to be surprised to see his sidekick. Maybe he's more surprised about Minimus actually getting this far, then the fact that he tried to find him.

"Of course I did!" Minimus said.

The moment of villain and sidekick friendship doesn't last long as Maximus hit Minimus on the head annoyed. "What took you so long? I could have been killed by now for all you know!"

"Ouch, sorry boss," Minimus normal face apologized, while his angry face quietly complained about ingratitude.

"Okay, so it is kind of my fault that the microscopic robot got into your lair, so I'm rescuing you, but since the Galactic Guardians are here, I'll leave you with them for protection. My record's clear again," Nova began to walk away.

"Wait!" I stop Nova. "What do you mean your record is clear?"

"What I mean is I've never hurt anyone in my life and no one has gotten hurt because of me, so the Galactic Guardians have nothing against me and since I'm not testifying against Starlight, neither does Astro. Everyone's happy so you can let me be."

"You can't run away from your problems," I insist.

"That's not a crime and I'm not evil! Don't you understand? If I help Starlight I would have to hurt people and if I help the Galactic Guardians, my parents would be hurt. I tried to keep a balance, I tried to stay neutral. I don't hurt and I don't help, keep me out of it. I'm sick of being trapped trying to avoid hurting anyone!" Nova's voice echoes all over the dungeon.

"My, my, that's some argument you're having," the new voice belongs to Astro. "It's over Nova, the Galactic Guardians are here and I don't mean just them. You've done it, you've ruined everything for Starlight so you might as well tell them."

I look at Nova, she sighs giving up and reveals the secret. "Starlight isn't a natural planet; it's an artificial planet that costs thousands of millions a day to maintain, even with the income from tourists, it's not enough. To keep a rich lifestyle under such a situation, both Starlight's governments steal, blackmail, trade with the black market and force people into transforming into rare species that are then stuffed and sold. I didn't know until recently."

"Exactly," Astro glared. "This is the best planet ever, the most prestigious one. We can't have our pride and joy without it's fuel and maintenance. Besides, without a planet there is no kingdom, but a certain goody-goody princess wanted to ruin it all. Dear Nova, why couldn't you just ignore it and live your life pretending it isn't true? I would have done all the work for you; you only needed to be my queen in name and nothing more, I wouldn't have forced you into dealing with this, all I asked was for your silence."

"It's wrong, but I don't want to betray those who were kind to me. Even if the gifts I was given were obtained in such a way, it's the thought that counts. Why can't I just be neutral and not just anyone?" Nova holds back tears.

"It's over, we've been discovered and you know what that means," Astro growls.

"You wouldn't dare!" Nova sounded as if she knew what he was talking about. I've had it with everyone else knowing what's going on and not telling.

"It's been done," Astro assured.

"What? What's been done? What?" Sparky starts to panic.

"He's going to self destruct Starlight," Nova stammers.

"That's right and with the force filed around it, you can't get out. Go on; try to leave, I won't stand on your way," Astro stepped aside.

"Let's go," I urged and we ran outside.

xoxox xox xoxox

The planet's surface looks calm, some people are looking at the sky with worry, noticing the force field, but they look too calm to know the planet is about to self destruct. We need to get everyone out of here before the planet blows up. "Nova, how much time do we have?"

"I don't know, it depends on when he activated it, but it must be less than an hour. The self destruct mechanism is in the center of the planet, destroying it means an instant destruction of the planet regardless of how the count down stands and it would be impossible to hack. Astro doesn't care if he lives, threats won't work on him and I'm sure he must have already gotten rid of anyone who could possible stop this. I'm getting off this planet now." Nova pressed a small button on her crescent moon shaped earring on her left ear. "Come to me Shooting Star, beam me up," seconds after the voice command, she was gone, off to her ship, the Shooting Star.

"Minimus were did you park the ship? It better not have been far!" Maximus yelled.

"It's this way your evilness," Minimus ran off with Maximus after him.

My bracelet starts to beep and I immediately answer it. "All Galactic Guardians are to fill their ships with as many civilians as possible and escape immediately. Act with haste but with caution to avoid a massive panic. Most civilians are not aware of the mortal danger." Admiral Degill's one way communication must have been broadcasted to all the Galactic Guardians on the planet and atmosphere near by.

xoxox xox xoxox

We quickly headed to the Starcruiser and started to beam people up, hastily explaining that this is for their safety, not revealing the truth because that would truly cause chaos on the ship. After the Starcruiser was full we tried to escape.

There are many Galactic Guardians ships on the planet's atmosphere unable to leave due to the force field. The fact that the planet is artificial will make the explosion bigger and none of us will survive if we're this close.

Why is the Royal Road glowing? That's it! It's not a road; it's a giant force field generator. "Everyone, we have to get rid of the Royal Road, the ring around the planet!" I broadcast the message to all the other Galactic Guardians ships.

We concentrate our fire on the Royal Road. It must be the right place, because many ships try to stop us now. It's trickier to defend ourselves and fire at the Royal Road all at once, but we mange to take it out and head out of Starlight's atmosphere at full speed.

The explosion happened seconds later with incredible force. The Starcruiser shook and was thrown forward, the engines over heated due to the tremendous heat that the explosion sent all around the galaxy. Then finally the star cruiser drifted in space, full of heartbroken, panicked people.

xoxox xox xoxox

It's been a long day and when I finally arrive home after a ship was send to pick us up, I get a speech because I got back so late without even saying I was staying out. Dad's in another of his business trips and mom doesn't mind as long as I tell her I'll be late, but I didn't this time. I was so tired I went straight to sleep as soon as mother released me.

xoxox xox xoxox

The next day I contacted Sparky for the detailed results of planet Starlight's destruction. Most people didn't make it out on time and a few Galactic Guardians ships were shot down or were not fast enough and got caught in the explosion. We were lucky to get out of there quickly, the Starcruiser is already repaired. I'm sad for those people of Starlight and the Galactic Guardians that couldn't make it out.

I went back to the Galactic Guardians Headquarters and attended a ceremony in honor of the Galactic Guardians that didn't make it out on time.

After the ceremony I was told I had a package at HQ. It had already been scanned for safety. The box contained a glass bottle, though upon closer examination, I realized it was actually crafted from diamond. I read the note attached:

"Greeting Atomic Betty,"

"In the end everyone got hurt instead of no one. I heard some ships were caught by the worse part of the heat wave and people suffered terrible burns. This is a rare medicine that can heal anything, burns, broken bones and any physical wounds. I know how skilled you are and that you probably got out of there on time to escape injury, but here's this gift just in case. If you don't need it, then maybe it will be useful in restoring a friend. Only a spoonful will be enough for a full recovery and it works on most species. I do hope you don't think of me as evil for choosing not to incriminate my parents, I plead to the fifth intergalactic constitution amendment on that. I wish you good fortune."

"Farewell,"

"Nova"

xoxox xox xoxox

I later returned to Earth and went to the hospital to visit Noah, taking a small plastic container with enough healing liquid for one person. This medicine is crafted from precious jewels though a complex process and it's extremely rare and expensive. I donated the rest to the Galactic Guardians.

"Hi, sorry I'm late," I gave him my usual greeting, as I entered his room to find him wrapped in bandages like a mummy. Poor Noah, if I catch that driver... Focus Betty, it's time to heal him, not time to think of torture.

"You're an entire day late," Noah sounds more disappointed than angry.

"I'm sorry, but I brought you something to make you feel better. It's really rare and I know it'll help, drink this," I help him drink the miracle medicine.

"Thanks, I feel better already," Noah sounds sincere.

xoxox xox xoxox

When I got home later, I got a call from the show Mysterious Mysteries, congratulating me on my acting for the video. Looks like Penelope sent it in after all, since I didn't give her a reply fast enough. On the bright side, no one believed it was real. The show called us both to award us a cash price for best futuristic science fiction video. Apparently, they thought it was all done with computer generated special effects and assumed Penelope was joking when she tried to tell them it was real. In the end, the blackmail backfired.

xoxox xox xoxox

The next day, Noah was let out of the hospital. He was completely healed, even if no one could explain why. I'm glad he didn't mention the miracle medicine to the doctors. I heard it tastes sweet, so he must have assumed it was some kind of juice.

Nova is still out there. I heard rumors that she took a large portion of her parents' fortune and is living comfortably in Lynxia with a new name and a new form. Speaking of lynx, I heard Maximus made it out safely too.

I called Dylan late, but I called, and we talked for a while, though I still owe him an answer. It remains unsolved; I still haven't decided who I'm going to prom with.

End of Solar System XIV

Disclaimer, I don't own Atomic Betty.