Other Fan Fiction ❯ Black Roses ❯ We Are Reunited ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Shuffling footsteps were the only sign of life in the dark hallways. When passing some rooms, faint moans and whisperings could be heard. But silence prevailed over those meager sounds.
A stooped figure, swathed in pristine white robes slid into a room, nodding to the others already assembled there. There was a hushed murmuring, the people talking about the coming decisions and actions that would be required of them.
A heavy door in the back of the room opened, and three people stepped through. With them, they brought instant silence.
Their genders were impossible to tell at first glance, but upon closer inspection, you could barely tell one was male and the other two females.
They each wore long robes, all a blazing white. They all wore hoods, emblazoned with individual insignias. On the man’s hood, a black arrow ran forward. The women had arrows pointing opposite ways, also in the standard black color.
“We will begin.”
The three spoke in unison, their voices matched to perfection. The assembly rose, bowed and retook their seats.
“Speak of our progress.”
A man stood from the rest of the crowd, “We have our needed creatures. Several dozen nymphs, balverines, minions, screamers, and two dragons. And we are being supplied humans as we speak.”
“And how goes the positioning of our will users?”
“We have sent ships out to Knothole Glade to find the most favorable locations. Several will users are located in various places in Albion.”
The man who spoke said the name with disgust, nearly spitting it out. He quickly sat as the three nodded to him. An older woman stood, keeping a docile expression on her otherwise fierce visage.
“If I may speak, My Masters Three?”
A barely perceptible nod from the three launched the woman into speech.
“I have been having visions of a terrible outcome for us. I fear that we are not moving fast enough. If someone against the rebuilding of Our Kingdom-”
“And who would?”
The seeress paused, carefully choosing her next words.
No matter their power, I must not let them know of the boy.
“I have not been able to see that.”
“Then we will not waste time on this vision of yours.”
“Please! Even if you do not believe me, you must not tarry! Carry out the ritual, now!”
There was silence as the Masters considered the woman’s words. They didn’t speak amongst themselves but evidently came to their decision a moment later.
“We will consider what you have said.”
“Thank you...”
The seeress bowed deeply before taking her seat.
If they knew what the boy could do. They would not rest till he was in their greedy hands.

~~~

Leah and Mathiues had decided that Bowerstone Quay was their best chance of hiring a boat to get them to Knothole Glade. Neither had brought gold, however. So, they were going to offer to work on a boat.
Evange, had already been able to recognize the path they were taking. And his mood had gotten worse. There was no way he’d be able to avoid notice in Bowerstone. Even if Gladiator hadn’t informed Lady Grey about the search for Evange, the Lady would still stop him.
Mother’s a pain. Too bad she hasn’t died, yet.
“Leah,” Mathiues used the name tenderly, “Can I ask what happened to your friend?”
“He was kidnaped.” Leah kept her voice cold, trying to give the apprentice the hint that she didn’t want to mention it again.
Mathiues’ mouth turned down, and he let his head droop down.
She’s looking for a boy. And she’s so dedicated to find him. How can I match up to someone I’ve never met?
Evange was only a few paces behind Leah and Mathiues, occasionally ducking behind some foliage for cover if he needed. But, for the most part, the two didn’t look back at him.
This is the first I’ve heard of this. She was alone the whole time I was with her. Is she lying?
“Anyway, we should stop for the night. It’s still quite a bit away from Bowerstone. It’ll be easier to walk there after resting.”
Mathiues nodded eagerly, following as Leah turned to the side, walking into the woods and to a dark clearing. Evange had quickly ducked in behind Mathiues, the shadows from the trees hiding him well enough. The apprentice didn’t notice Evange’s presence, Evange made sure he was near silent.
“I’ll clear the spot.” Leah began gathering sticks and rocks to make room for sleeping spots. Mathiues stopped her, grabbing the sticks she had picked up.
“I’ll light a fire, and we can cook some of my red meat!”
Leah offered the boy a smile, sitting down to wait for him to light up the pile. Evange glared at Mathiues, hoping the apprentice would be unable to light the fire.
“There we go!”
The sticks burst into flame, leaving Mathiues pleased with his work. He quickly brought out several pieces of meat and set them by the fire, on flat rocks.
“We can save some for tomorrow, too!”
“Yea, that’s a good idea.”
Mathiues dropped his smile, scooting closer to Leah.
“You seem upset. If you need someone to talk to... I’m always here... For you.”
I’ve been there for her much more than you have, little boy.
The whole display was making Evange sick.
Leah nodded, but turned away.
“I think I’ll just go to sleep. Thanks for caring.”
“What about the meat?”
“I’m not very hungry.”
Mathiues looked down sadly, disappointed that his attempt at comforting Leah and bringing them closer, had only pushed her away. He stayed up, waiting for the meat to cook before extinguishing the fire. The apprentice began to eat his meat but he glanced at Leah’s sleeping form and felt a pang of sympathy.
She needs my help. She cares so much about her friend. I have to help her!
Mathiues shrugged off his outer apprentice robe, a sleeveless shirt under it. He started towards Leah to cover her with the robe but he stopped as a dark shadow slid in front of him.
“Who’re-”
Evange glared at Mathiues, “Put your clothes back on and go to sleep.”
The apprentice recognized Evange from the Guild and drew in a breath.
“You’re that devil who kidnaped Leah!”
Mathiues reached for his sword, which he had set on the ground, but Evange was faster. He had already stepped in front of the apprentice, glaring at him, again.
“Go to bed, little boy.”
“I won’t let you take Leah away!”
Evange turned away, “I’m not taking her away. I’m coming with her.”
The apprentice was at a loss. Evange seemed to be sincere and what could Mathiues do? He could fight Evange. But he’d end up losing and Leah would be even worse off.
“Fine, just don’t do anything! If you try anything, I’ll kill you.”
Evange ignored Mathiues, leaning against a tree by Leah. He wasn’t about to let the apprentice come near the girl anytime during the night.
Stupid girl should be able to tell him to get lost, at least. I have to do everything for her...
Evange spent the rest of the night watching over Leah.

~~~

...Oh, sorry... I can't follow you right now... I'm washing my hair.
Leah rolled over, slowly waking up.
Take my advice, don’t go into the tavern. Daylight robbery at those prices...
The girl frowned and rubbed at her eyes, sitting up while still half asleep. She turned towards Mathiues, about to warn him about the dangers of the tavern, when she noticed someone that fully woke her up.
Evange?!
Neither of the boys looked at her, they were too busy sitting across from each other, totally silent. Both were glaring at the other. Leah finally found her voice, still thinking it impossible that Evange was sitting so close.
“Uh... Evange?”
“You’re awake, Leah! Would you like some...”
Mathiues trailed off as he noticed Leah was only looking at Evange. He felt a brief moment of panic. What if Evange was the friend Leah had been looking for?
Evange only spared a glance towards Leah, getting up in one movement.
“If we’re going to Bowerstone, it’ll be best if we get there early. So, hurry up.”
Is he not even going to explain why he’s here? And did he just say we’re going to Bowerstone? Since when was he included?
Leah frowned at Evange, but decided not to voice her thoughts for the moment. She became aware of Mathiues looking at her and gave him a nervous smile.
“I guess we should hurry. Is the meat done?”
“Oh! Yes, I heated it up this morning so it’d be warm for you.” The apprentice smiled warmly, grabbing at his chance to outdo Evange.
“Thanks.”
Leah took the meat from Mathiues, accidently brushing her hand against his. This sent him into a daze, strangely, at the same time, an odd twitch in Evange’s eye was set off. Leah just got up, eating the meat as she walked. Mathiues took the spot on Leah’s right, while Evange walked to the girl’s left.
It’s kind of creepy when they’re both looking at me...
Leah hurriedly ate her meat, a nervous laugh bubbling out of her as she noticed both boys looking at her, again. She quickly ducked her head, embarrassed by her behavior. Mathiues was kind enough to ignore Leah’s nervousness. Evange, however, didn’t mind teasing the girl.
“Laughing at yourself, again?”
Leah frowned, not wanting to rise to Evange’s bait.
“I suppose you would. You aren’t exactly serious looking. What with your messy hair.”
Evange smirked as he ruffled Leah’s hair further, earning him a glare from the girl. Mathiues saw how bothered Leah was and stepped in to ‘save’ her.
“Leave Leah alone! She’s beautiful!”
Evange’s playful mood disappeared and he sneered down at the apprentice.
“Well, look at the little boy proclaiming his love for the little girl.”
Mathiues blushed, “I’m not... I was only saying Leah’s beautiful! I don’t know how you can’t see it.”
“Maybe because my eyes aren’t clouded by your silly emotions.”
“They’re not silly! If we didn’t have feelings, then... then we’d miss out on so much. And if you don’t care about Leah, why are you here? And were you following us? Because you seemed to pop out of nowhere last night so conveniently.”
Was Evange following me? But, why would he?
“You have no room to talk. You were following her, too. How else would you have shown up in Greatwood like that?”
“Evange... You were there?”
Evange looked at Leah, obviously not liking her question. He walked away, heading towards Bowerstone. But Leah was tired of not getting answers from the boy. She ran after Evange, trying to grab his sleeve to stop him and make him talk to her.
“Hey! I asked-”
Leah was stopped as Mathiues’ hand appeared on her shoulder and held her back.
“Leah, I don’t think he’ll answer. Why don’t we just ignore him? I’m sure he’ll go away, eventually.”
He can’t be serious about coming with us... But, if he’s been following Leah longer than I have...
Mathiues shuddered.
What a creepy guy. And so rude, too!
“He will?”
Leah looked down, thinking about this option. She had never thought about ignoring Evange. When she had last seen him, he was being a jerk to her, and she had run off.
But... He gave me his guild seal. Which I lost... I owe him something for that, don’t I? And... I wonder if he’s been helping me all along...
“Of course he will! And then, you won’t have to worry about being made fun of. Because,” Mathiues stepped in front of Leah and grasped her hands, a heavy blush covering his face, “I would never tease you. You’re perfect to me.”
“Uh... Thanks.”
He’s... is he saying-?
Evange had slipped back, gracefully shoving Mathiues away from Leah. He sent a glare at Leah, before walking forward, again. Leah looked over to see if the apprentice was alright, before following Evange at a distance.
Everyone was acting so strangely around her, Leah didn’t know what to do. She was sure Mathiues had almost declared something important to her. But why had Evange interrupted? Did he just want to get to Bowerstone quickly, or was there something else that bothered him about Mathiues talking to Leah that way?
I can’t deal with this, now. I should be focusing on Kuyo not what these two think of me.

~~~

The three were off to Bowerstone, none of them in particularly high spirits. When they finally came into the town, most people didn’t pay any attention to Leah or Mathiues. But Evange stuck out in his dark robes and distinct looks.
“Lady Grey’s child, no doubt.”
“What’s he doing with such common fighters?”
“Getting some sick kicks out of them...”
Evange held his head high and ignored the villagers. These comments had been following him since he could get out of Bowerstone North. And he didn’t care.
Mathiues seemed to bask in the attention, though he was modest about it. Leah, however, had suddenly become nervous, and was constantly tripping over her own feet. Luckily, the villagers were still far too curious about Evange himself than his followers.
Evange kept a look out for guards, ducking his head when he saw one. If Lady Grey found out-
“My, what a surprise.”
A shudder passed through Evange as he passed the steps leading up to Bowerstone North. The feline voice drifting down to him. The boy couldn’t help looking up, meeting the gaze of Lady Grey.
Mother.

~~~

Another chapter pumped out courtesy of my beta's constant nagging about the fic. :D
Thanks again for the reviews. All of them pwn like nothing else.
...Mathiues got really annoying.