Other Fan Fiction ❯ Black Roses ❯ The Damsel in Distress ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
It had taken several long hours for Gladiator to get away from the crowds of people that emerged from all corners of Bowerstone to gawk at him. Though he had tried to push through them, they had only come closer. And the hero couldn’t ignore the tiny faces of the children looking at him with pure childish delight.
Unfortunately, by the time Gladiator was able to break away, the ship carrying Evange had already faded into the seas. However, the hero was unaware and was now forced to see Lady Grey and talk with her.
“Ah, so my husband appears, again. I was wondering if you had died yet.”
Gladiator stood by the door uncomfortably, as Lady Grey lounged on her vast bed.
“Elvira... You talked with Evange today.”
“Yes, and he was quite a miserable wretch.”
“Where is he?”
Lady Grey grinned wickedly, fanning herself with a hand.
“Why are you so eager to know about the boy, now?”
I won’t give her an excuse to kill him.
“I need to speak with him.”
Disappointment briefly crossed the Lady’s face before she sighed and sat up.
“I set him off to Bargate. Along with his little followers.”
Did she already imprison him? Why?
“What crime have you accused him of?”
Lady Grey let out a short, barking laugh. “No, husband, I did not put the boy in prison. I only sent him there to escort some friends of his. I think he was thrilled to go on a boat ride.”
Gladiator narrowed his eyes as he looked at Lady Grey but turned around. He wasn’t going to question her about Evange, anymore. He had more important things to take care of.
Now that I know where Evange is heading, I can get there before him and wait. Though... I’m not looking forward to going back to Bargate.
A shudder ran through the hero as he recalled the memories of the prison, of his mother’s and his own torture.
A fitting place for me to confront Evange, I suppose.

~~~

Muted sunlight peered through the thick fog all around the ship. The sunlight cast an eerie glow on the ghostly crew, making them radiate a strange green light. Mathiues, however, had no problems dealing with the crew, despite their unearthly appearance. Leah had started pacing the boat, impatient to get to their destination. Evange... He was a bit unwell.
The boy had been sitting away from the railing for the duration of the first day, trying to sleep. After his earlier doze, though, sleep had evaded him.
This water never... goes... away...
Eventually, Evange got up, slowly making his way to the railing and leaning on it.
I’m going to kill you.
The boy glared down at the water, a hearty scowl going with the glare. Leah noticed Evange had finally moved and went to go talk to him, seeing as how he was probably as bored as she was.
“Evange-”
Evange turned his head and sent his full glare at Leah. The girl winced, frowned at Evange, but walked away.
What’s with him? I didn’t even say anything to him, yet.
Leah looked back at the boy, sending a weak glare at his back. She took a spot by Mathiues, sending a small nod at him as he shouted out orders to the crew. The apprentice quickly made room for Leah, while staying relatively close to her. He couldn’t help but look at the girl with admiration.
She’s so beautiful.
“So, Mathiues, when are we going to get to Knothole Glade?”
Mathiues started at the sound of his name coming from Leah’s lips. He was instantly enchanted by her. Leah tilted her head before turning the other direction. She didn’t know why, but Mathiues didn’t talk to her very much. He’d always daze off into space, leaving the girl feeling foolish.
He could at least make an excuse to not talk to me. It’s kind of rude of him to just ignore me.
The apprentice eventually snapped out of it enough to realize Leah had asked him a question, and he jumped to answer it.
“Er, Knothole Glade? We should be there in about a week. As long as we have good sailing like today’s! And don’t worry, Leah, I’ll make sure your sailing is good, no matter what. Captain Mathiues is here to protect and serve you.”
Leah looked down at Mathiues as he bowed to her, a broad grin on his face. She smiled, looking away and noticing a very annoyed Evange switching his glare to Mathiues.
Evange is really grumpy. What’s his problem, anyway? Mathiues isn’t even doing anything...
Leah paused as she tossed a new thought around in her mind.
If just talking to Mathiues makes Evange mad, then maybe being nicer to Mathiues will tick Evange off even more. He deserves it... Why did he glare at me?
“Mathiues, you must be really confident about your captaining skills. Er,” The girl tried to think of something to say, “If pirates attacked, you’d save me, right?”
She attempted to smile at Mathiues sweetly, aware that it probably came off as more than a bit crooked. But the apprentice took in the smile, and beamed one of his own.
“Of course! I’ll do anything and everything for you!”
“And you’re so nice, too! Some people just don’t know how to be nice...”
“Oh, Leah, I could never be nasty to you!” Mathiues whipped Leah around to face him, “Believe me, Leah, I could never be anything less than what you want me to be.”
Leah let out a nervous laugh, looking away from Mathiues’ serious face. She didn’t like pretending like this just to make Evange mad.
Maybe I should stop this before anyone gets hurt...
“Er, right. Well, I’m sure the crew needs you. I should probably leave you to-”
“Leah,” the apprentice lifted Leah’s face, his gloved hand trembling, “I don’t ever want to be without you.”
Oh no... This is a bit too serious. I got to get away...
Leah allowed herself a nervous smile, which Mathiues took to be a happy one and lowered his face to Leah’s. The girl fervently hoped that Mathiues wasn’t about to kiss her. She closed her eyes, pulling her head away as far as possible.
“Hey!”
Leah felt Mathiues step away from her and she cautiously opened her eyes.
Evange. Of course. He’s probably ready to kill someone.
“I think you’d better stick to your work, captain.”
The boy was nearly spitting venom as he spoke, but that didn’t stop Mathiues talking back. The apprentice had gained much confidence from what he believed to be Leah’s acceptance of his feelings.
“Maybe you shouldn’t interfere with our personal matters!”
“Your personal matters?”
Evange sneered at Mathiues, his dark eyes seemingly growing darker yet.
“I don’t think your little girl was even serious.”
“You guys, stop! You can’t fight on a boat. One of you might fall off...”
That immediately shut Evange up. His eyes flickered to the vast expanse of sea, an unnoticeable shudder running through him. Mathiues instantly paused when Leah spoke. The girl rubbed her arm, looking between the boys.
“Are you done?”
“Yes, Leah. I’m sorry for causing a scene in front of you. Will you accept my deepest apologies?”
Mathiues looked at the girl with remorseful eyes, bowing his head before retreating to order the crew, once more. He glanced back at Leah, shooting her a smile.
We’ll have more chances to express our love, Leah.
Evange had already begun to walk to his previous spot at the railing, but a sharp tug on his sleeve stopped him. He turned to see Leah glaring at him, but with the hint of a smile on her face. The boy’s brows rose.
“Er... You really shouldn’t have interrupted-”
“I’m ever so sorry.” Evange brushed Leah away, but her voice reached his ears once more.
“Still, thanks for, er...”
“Saving you, perhaps?”
The girl nodded her head, angrily.
I always owe him something. And he’s always so smug about everything.
Evange smirked, “I saved the damsel in distress... I believe a reward is in order.”
“What?”
Leah nearly panicked at the tone in Evange’s words. She suddenly didn’t know which was worse... Mathiues coming after her for a kiss or Evange hounding her for something else.
“When I know what I want, I’ll let you know.” The boy winked at the girl before turning away.
I’m stuck on a boat with two guys that want something from me that I can’t give them. Why does this happen to me?
Leah slumped down, afraid of what the coming week would bring.

~~~

Bargate was the same as it had always been. Red uniformed guards patrolling the hallways, moans and sobs of pain from the torture chamber, yelling as the guards entertained themselves with the prisoner races, which were held more often, now. Lady Grey hadn’t bothered to change anything.
Gladiator stood at the great doors of the prison, looking out towards the sea. He had been standing at the shore for a few days, occasionally leaving to take care of some of his human needs.
They should’ve been here by now. Something’s not right. Did Elvira let Evange on that boat without any guards?
The hero had been thinking over that possibility for the past few hours. He wanted to believe that Lady Grey had some purpose for sending Evange out on a boat instead of making him teleport. Gladiator wasn’t aware of Evange’s phobia of water, since he wasn’t around when the phobia developed.
Damn, where is he?
Gladiator covered his face with one giant hand, feeling his age in the damp air of the prison.
I’ll wait inside for a bit... Wasn’t there a prisoner I wanted to see before her execution? Maybe I can pass some time talking to her.
The hero disappeared into Bargate, turning his back to the dark seas.

~~~

The next few days on the boat had been less eventful. Leah had made sure she was never alone with either of the boys, sometimes even talking to the ghosts to look busy. Well, more like talking at the ghosts, since they never responded.
On what Mathiues predicted to be their last full day at sea, Leah was unable to find anything to busy herself with. All her excuses were used up, and Mathiues was already walking over to talk to her. Leah didn’t want to rely on Evange’s help, she’d only end up with owing him something else.
“Leah, we’re almost to Knothole Glade, and it’s lovely weather. I expect we’ll be getting into some rougher waters once we near the island. The rain there might throw us a bit off, but no worries!”
Leah nodded, not wanting to give Mathiues any strange ideas.
Too bad he already thinks I like him. I wish I hadn’t been so nice.
There was a few moments of silence, Leah looking to the side while Mathiues twisted the fabric of his top. He opened his mouth several times, wanting to voice something that had worried him for a long time, now.
If I don’t ask her... I’ll make a fool of myself! I have to ask.
“Leah... The friend you’re trying to save... What-” Mathiues closed his mouth, revising his question, “Can I ask h-how close you are to him?”
Not far from where the two were talking, Evange was sitting against the railing. He slid open one eye to glance at Leah and to make sure Mathiues wasn’t doing anything ‘romantic’, again.
“How close? Very. Kuyo, my friend, has always been there.”
Mathiues’ heart fell, “So, you love him?”
“How can I not?”
Evange frowned a bit as Leah confirmed what he had already guessed.
I’m afraid your dear friend won’t be saved anytime soon by you.
“Kuyo has looked after me since I was born. My dearest friend.”
The two boys were in shock, relief written all over Mathiues’ face and secretly flooding Evange.
“So, he’s like a-a brother to you?”
“Yea, I guess.”
The apprentice beamed at Leah, “Then we have to make sure we save him! We’ll let nothing stand in our way!”
Leah smiled back, hoping Mathiues wouldn’t read into the smile.
Like a brother... That’s good unless she’s into incest...
Evange peeked over at Leah again, dismissing the thought.
Fine, then. I’ll help. It’s something to do, in any case. Plus, I wouldn’t want that dirty apprentice getting too close.
The ship slid through the waters, observed by unseen eyes.

~~~

It was early morning, the waters still ebony, and twice as rough. Mathiues had already woken, shouting orders to the crew, anxious that nothing should happen this close to the island. Leah had just barely woken up from her restless sleep, coming to slump over on the railing. She looked into the darkness that surrounded them, her spirits not as light as they should’ve been.
Am I even really getting closer to Kuyo? Or is this another dead end that just leads to more problems?
There was a sigh and a light thump as Evange came to sit against the railing next to the girl.
“What are you so depressed about?”
Leah frowned, “I’m fine.”
“And that’s why you’re over here moping...”
Silence on Leah’s part. The boy rolled his neck, annoyed by the girl’s response. And that he had been woken up so early by Mathiues’ shouting.
Damn apprentice. He practically screamed in my ear.
“Maybe you’re just grumpy from your lack of sleep.”
“I slept fine.”
“Even with those dreams of yours?”
Leah tensed, gaping down at Evange. She couldn’t see his face from her angle, but something else about the boy caught her eye.
A fading bruise, half hidden among Evange’s hair.
That bruise... That’s the spot where I hit him in my... dream...
Horror made Leah back away from Evange, her foot catching on the railing and almost sending her to the deck.
The boy looked at her, frowning, “Watch it. No one’s go-”
Leah smacked Evange as hard as she could, her hand stinging, and glared at him. Evange looked up in total bewilderment, one side of his pale face turning an angry red. Mathiues had glanced at them, and was marching over, ready to protect Leah against the devilish Evange.
“What’s your problem?”
My problem?!”
Evange says that to me after what he did?! And he just let me think it was a dream! He’s been following me the whole time!
The girl was about to send Evange overboard, but Mathiues came up and stepped in front of her, facing Evange.
“What have you done to upset Leah so much?!”
“I didn’t do-”
Leah had pushed around Mathiues, hitting Evange again, glaring down at him. Instantly, the boy was standing, too, glaring back at Leah. Mathiues got ready to interfere in case Evange started being violent.
“What is wrong with you?”
Evange had to say the words slowly, measuring them, to keep his anger down.
“Just a delayed reaction from my dream.”
The boy realized what Leah was saying and relaxed. A small smile replaced the former sneer.
“Oh yes, a pleasant dream, wasn’t it? Maybe you’ll be lucky enough to have another.”
The boy winked, stepping backwards as Leah tried to hit him, once again. Mathiues stepped beside Leah, wanting to calm her down, as Evange calmly walked away, throwing smirks over his shoulder.
“You know you liked it...”
A sound of pure rage burst from Leah, Mathiues was confused by the situation but dubbing it Evange’s fault.
I’ll find out what he did later... Right now, I’ve got to get us to land.
Leah was left to vent her frustration by herself. She would’ve gone after Evange, but some ghosts had already started to mill around her. They were supposed to protect Evange, and had seen Leah hit their master. They were going to be sure to keep her away from Evange, now.
Evange! I’m going to kill you!

~~~

Finally done! Finally! Finally!
It feels like I’ve been writing this chapter for months. T-T
But it’s finally done!
Hopefully, I can get to the meat of plot, now. This story will probably be at least 20 chapters long. I hope to finish it off, soon. :)
Thanks to the helpful reviews. I do try to improve my writing. And seeing what you think helps me do that. -Addressed to my ff.net reviewers.-
If you’re going to say the story isn’t good, an explanation would be nice. :D
...Leah desperately wants to pummel Evange.