Other Fan Fiction ❯ Black Roses ❯ A Gift of Petals ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Mathiues released Leah’s face, turning towards Evange almost triumphantly. Leah edged away from the apprentice, sending him a fierce glare that he didn’t catch.
I barely know him and he kisses me?! Why does everyone think I want all this romance?
“You want to explain yourself, now?”
Mathiues smiled, “You don’t really need an explanation, do you? It’s fairly obvious, isn’t it?”
Evange narrowed his eyes, glancing at Leah.
The girl couldn’t like him. But little Mathiues is dead, no matter what she thinks. He won’t get away with this.
“You refuse me an explanation? I’ll delight you with a tidbit about that kiss you just enjoyed, then” Evange smiled sweetly, “That wasn’t Leah’s first kiss. I should know.”
Mathiues glowered at Evange, “You stole her first kiss?!”
The boy smiled in response, causing Mathiues’ glare to deepen.
“I won’t let you get away with doing that.”
“I’m afraid that you’ll be dead before you can do anything to me.”
“Evange, you can’t kill him!”
Leah had half risen, looking between the two boys nervously. She knew the message she’d be sending by protecting Mathiues, but she couldn’t let him just be killed.
Evange raised an eyebrow, his smile turning into a slight frown, “Why can’t I kill him? He’s defenseless and stupid. I think I’m fully capable of killing him.”
“What was that, boy?”
Gladiator stepped out from behind Evange, one hand raised to grab the hilt of his sword.
“Stay out of my way, Father. This is none of your business.”
Gladiator’s face hardened and he stepped in front of Evange, “I won’t let you kill anyone.”
“You’re willing to kill me, then?” Evange smirked, sure of his father’s answer.
No... I can’t kill him. He has a chance of being good. Maybe the sacrifice of one boy will bring everything full circle. But how can I stand by and let one of them be slaughtered?
The hero deflated but didn’t move out of the way. Evange eased past the big man, locking eyes with Mathiues. The apprentice stood, his sword unsheathed with it’s tip pointed at his opponent. As for Evange, lightening licked at the air around his hands.
Leah clenched her hands and stepped between the boys, seeing that Gladiator wasn’t moving to stop either. She gulped and tried to think of something to say, anything that would stop the fight.
One of them will be dead. And it’ll be... well, it’ll be their faults, but I’ll still feel guilty. But what will stop them?... They’re both so stupid. I don’t like either of them! Maybe I should just say that?
“Leah,” Mathiues sent a soft smile at Leah without taking his eyes away from Evange’s, “I can handle myself. I don’t want you to think you have to protect me. I’ll take care of this girly boy quickly, okay?”
“Get out of the way, girl!”
They’ll never stop fighting if I just tell them I don’t like either! They’re fighting right now and I never said I liked either of them! They’re never going to stop unless... Unless I say I do like one of them.
Leah cringed, the boys mistaking the expression coming about because of Evange’s harsh command. Mathiues took a step towards Evange, glaring whole heartedly at the other boy.
In turn, Evange grinned wildly and swung his arm towards Mathiues in an arc. His lightning passing through the air dangerously close to Leah. Mathiues saw this, grabbed Leah and pushed her out of the way. Evange immediately took the opportunity to throw a fireball at the apprentice, switching between his spells with ease.
Mathiues cried out, grabbing at his arm and sinking to the ground for a moment, his sword falling away from him. Gladiator looked to the boys with worry and indecision, not wanting to intervene unless it was absolutely necessary. Evange flicked his tongue out to wet his lips, his familiar lightning lacing the air around his hands again.
“If being a ‘girly boy’ keeps the women coming, then fine. At least I’m not a pathetic piece of shit like you.”
The boy aimed a hard kick at Mathiues’ gut, the apprentice, however, grabbed Evange’s leg and pulled the boy down to the ground. Mathiues angrily pulled himself over Evange, bashing his head into Evange’s without mercy.
“At least I’m not a monster!”
The two continued struggling on the ground, Mathiues landing a hard punch to his opponent’s face, causing Evange to grab the apprentice by his hair and run lightning into it, effectively dislodging Mathiues. Evange shot to his feet, his nose and lips bleeding from the punch, ready to hit Mathiues with all his power.
I have to say something quick, they’re going to kill each other! But who do I say I like? Mathiues is probably the safer choice... but Evange won’t be rejected. He’ll probably go crazy like he did on that quest. However, if I choose Evange... I’ll probably be hurting Mathiues really badly. But he won’t start killing everything and he won’t be dead.
The girl glanced at Mathiues quickly, making up her mind as she saw him begin to go at Evange, again.
Better to save lives than feelings. I’m so sorry Mathiues.
“You guys have to stop fighting!... I don’t want one of you to end up dead. Especially since I already know which of you I like.”
There was instant silence, both boys pausing to focus their attention on Leah. Evange kept his lightning going, aware that Leah’s answer would probably be the one he was calmly dreading.
“I, er... I like,” Leah winced, “Evange.”
Mathiues lowered his head, his heart thumping painfully as his body ached.
She doesn’t like me and I made a fool of myself...
He took a deep breath, attempting a smile for Leah. But the girl was looking only at the ground, knowing she would probably regret her words soon. She also didn’t see the smugness that covered every inch of Evange’s face.
Gladiator sighed in relief, sidling to the fire and sitting down slowly. He was only too glad the situation had solved itself without death. The fight had been good for the boys, had released some tension. What did the feelings of one boy matter?
“Well, I’m going to get some more firewood, I suppose.” Mathiues grabbed up his sword and sheathed it, about to head to the woods but Evange stopped him.
“No, go ahead and relax, friend.” The boy smiled too sweetly, “Me and the girl will get it.”
And take some time getting to know each other a bit better.
Leah looked up, “Er, well, I don’t really think you need to come. I can get it myself... Plus, maybe you two should both relax. You’re pretty beat up...”
“As if that little boy’s primitive attacks could hurt me.”
Leah raised an eyebrow, You’re bleeding and look really bad... I think that means he hurt you pretty bad, jerk.
“Besides don’t you want me with you? After all don’t you like me?”
The girl knew she was trapped, lowering her head and glaring at the hard ground, “Fine, you can come with me...”
...You stupid idiot.
She slowly made her way into the woods, Evange following her with a twisted smile.
We’ll have so much fun, now, girl. Just wait and see how enjoyable my company can be.

~~~

Mathiues was desperately trying to remain collected, while wanting nothing more than to be swallowed by some monster.
How could I have read Leah so wrong? I thought she liked me... I’m such an idiot.
“You really like her, eh?”
The apprentice looked at Gladiator with a small smile, nodding his head slightly. The hero was silent for a few moments, looking into the woods. When he spoke, it was in a low whisper.
“Don’t give up so easily. Just because she doesn’t like you now, doesn’t mean she can’t learn to love you later.”
Mathiues’ eyes widened, “Sir?”
Gladiator smiled grimly, “People don’t last forever, neither do feelings. Who’s to say Evange won’t... be out of the picture by next week?”
I can only hope that I’m lying, right now. I don’t want to kill my son.
“You think Leah will stop liking Evange?”
The hero grunted, neither saying yes or no, but Mathiues was too filled with renewed hope to care. Just the possibility that Leah could love him someday returned him to his normal state.
Leah, I know I can make you love me. And I can wait forever for you to realize how much you do.
The apprentice smiled slightly, pushing away any doubt, and laid down to rest. It was hard to sleep when his arm was burnt, along with his hair. Gladiator was glad he was able to offer some comfort, watching Mathiues for a moment before switching his gaze to the woods.
But does that girl really like Evange? She’s playing with feelings, if she doesn’t.
The hero’s face hardened, his eyes narrowing.
I’ll find out what that girl really thinks.

~~~

Evange tenderly fingered his swollen face, not minding the blood, so not wiping it away. He was standing against a tree, not bothering to help Leah pick up firewood but only watching her. The boy could tell she was purposely avoiding eye contact with him, but really couldn’t care at the moment.
I have Leah all to myself, right now... I could do anything.
“Hey, Evange, can you carry some of these...”
Leah drifted off as she looked up, seeing the leer on Evange’s face and flinching. She quickly turned away, trying to busy herself with something.
“Er, never mind. I can make two trips-”
Black clad arms slid around the girl’s shoulders and she stiffened. Evange draped himself over Leah carefully, tucking her hair behind an ear while bringing his mouth to the other ear.
“My arms aren’t broken, I’ll help.”
Then, Leah was left standing in the woods while Evange sauntered back towards the camp with a meager amount of firewood. The girl dug her nails into her palms, angrily picking up the rest of the wood she had gathered and stomping back to the camp.
Gladiator glanced up as she arrived, “You just missed Evange. He decided to go for a walk... Mind if we-”
Mathiues slid open one eye at Gladiator’s voice, immediately spotted Leah and grinned at her.
“Leah, you’re back.”
I was only gone for a little while, you know...
The apprentice’s grin faded a bit as he focused on Leah’s hair, “Evange has strange tastes.”
Leah blinked in confusion while Gladiator glanced at what Mathiues had spotted and nodded.
“He gets them from his mother. She’s always liked things like that... Actually, I got Elvira a black rose as a gift, too.”
The hero’s face softened, Evange takes after me, does he?
Leah cleared her throat, “What brought this topic up?”
Gladiator smiled, “Evange left you a little something.”
At Leah’s still confused smile, Mathiues motioned the girl to bend down to him. She did so cautiously, hoping the apprentice wouldn’t do anything with Gladiator so near. Mathiues reached behind Leah’s ear, carefully removing a black rose.
“Oh...”
It’s kind of pretty...
Leah took the rose from Mathiues who turned away in hope of falling asleep. Gladiator felt a glimmer of pride for his son as he saw Leah admire the closed petals of Evange’s subtle gift.
“Evange is probably somewhere on the beach if you want to thank him.”
Leah frowned but nodded politely to Gladiator, “I guess I should.”
The jerk probably did it on accident. Or it’s something perverted. He’ll probably want something disgusting in return for it.
Calmly, Leah got up and walked to the beach, glowering. Gladiator looked into the still going fire, a deep frown settling on his face.
If she hurts Evange, I’ll be sure she’s hurt just as badly.

~~~

Evange was seated on a large piece of driftwood on the rocky beach, his knees drawn up and arms resting on them. He was looking up at the clouded over sky, noting that it was probably raining further into the island. On the beach, however, there were sparse patches of night sky still visible. The stars shone brightly, always seeming so blissfully jubilant so far above the problems of mortals.
With shuffling steps, Leah walked onto the beach, not noticing the seated Evange for a few minutes. Her gaze was captured by the dark ocean stretching away from the shore.
Kuyo’s over that sea, somewhere... I have to find him. No matter what it takes. He’s my only friend, I need him.
“Come to keep me warm for the night, girl?”
Leah jumped slightly before looking towards Evange. She sent a glare at the boy before walking over to him. There was a muffled slap as the girl hit Evange on the head followed by her surprised cry.
In the dim light, Evange grinned at Leah, who he had succeeded in pulling to the ground at his feet. The girl clenched her fists, her teeth almost audibly grinding.
I’ll just thank the stupid jerk and leave. He’ll probably take whatever I say the wrong way, though.
“So, girl, want to get-”
“Thanks for the flower.”
Evange blinked, withdrawing a bit, “You mean the rose?”
“Yea, thanks.”
As Leah began to get up, she glanced at Evange and was surprised to see the boy averting his eyes, almost giving off the impression that he was embarrassed.
“...Evange?”
Evange frowned but didn’t look at Leah, “Did you like it?”
Leah narrowed her eyes, not trusting the question or the boy behind it, “Yea, I guess...”
A sigh passed Evange’s lips and he got up slowly. Without another word, Evange began to walk away, Leah looking after him in bewilderment.
What’s the matter with him?
“Evange-”
The boy glanced over his shoulder as he walked away, “Enjoy your gift... I plan on giving you a much more personal one later.”
Leah narrowed her eyes in anger, digging her nails into her palms. Evange just smirked and continued walking, leaving Leah to sit on the ground by herself.
I’m going to kill that jerk!

~~~

And have you noticed that I often end a chapter off with Leah thinking Evange is a jerk? -sweatdrop-
...Evange really should've gone ahead and killed Mathiues.