Other Fan Fiction ❯ Blood Rose ❯ Father ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
He awoke with a jolt. He was panting heavily, and sweating. Ranmaru held his face in his hands, what a horrible nightmare that was. He shook sleep from his mind and got up, he would have to ignore this hindrance.


The feeling of the dream still haunted him, and he knew the images would not wash from his mind that easily though. Despite what his mind was telling him to do, his body got up and headed for his father's room in a panic. When he got there, his father was gone. He walked around the empty room in quiet defeat.


"Ranmaru!" Mitsunari called from the hallway, Ranmaru ran out of his father's room.


"Whats going on?" Ranmaru asked.


"Something horrible. The Azai moved in quicker than anticipated, and the troops that marched last night to be ready at the battlefield were ambushed. We didn't expect them to march for at least another week, and so the men weren't really ready at all for the attack. We haven't lost but reinforcement have been called upon and-"


"What of Lord Nobunaga!? Has he already left for the mountain!?" Ranmaru said quickly.


"I was just getting to that, he requests your presence at once. He will not begin to march without you. I just tried your room and you weren't there. Report in to him at once." Ranmaru nodded and ran off to where he was sure his Lord would be getting ready for battle, his room. He stopped at the large room and called to his lord through the door.


"Lord Nobunaga..." He called urgently. "Come in, Ranmaru." He answered calmly. Ranmaru slid the door open and walked into the room.


"My lord...I have just heard details of the situation.. I'm sorry to keep you waiting." He bowed low. "Ranmaru... I will need you in this battle more than ever..." Nobunaga walked briskly over to the boy, commanding him to stand to his feet with a mere motion of his hand. Ranmaru did this in an instant. He lived only to serve his lord Nobunaga.


"Yes, Lord Nobunaga! I am honored to defend your life." He said with burning resolve.


Nobunaga chuckled softly. "Speak your mind. You have doubts..." Nobunaga knew his face so well, it didn't even help to try and hide things from him, he knew he could hide nothing from this man.


"I.. I am scared for the life of.. My father.. My lord..." Ranmaru said quietly. Nobunaga nodded in understanding. "Yoshinari Mori. A most respectable man. We must march now, or else all hope will be lost from this battle."


Ranmaru and Nobunaga were quick to head out to where rallying soldiers were getting ready to march out to Mt. Usa. Ranmaru was but a mere servant to his Lord Nobunaga, but he was always at the head of the army with him, always right at his side at every council, at every meeting, despite the nobles present. Nobunaga wouldn't have it any other way, Ranmaru at his side was essential, to him.


The journey to the battlefield was spent in steely silence, and mental preparation for what was to come. Ranmaru was not able to calm his fears of the dream he had had. The death of his father would be a most mortifying thing indeed.


"Lord Nobunaga this is..." Ranmaru couldn't even say it as he dismounted his horse, and took in the sight of a brazen land of corpses. This is exactly like my dream, please don't let it be so...


He walked along the corpses until, like in his dreams, he came to his father's body. He was still bleeding from a fresh wound, and he wasn't certain that all the life had yet to even leave his father's eyes. He took a firm hold on his father's hand and gave one last stare into the fading eyes of his father.


He had wondered out much farther than he expected, he looked up at once at the sound of men approaching. Enemy soldiers with the Azai crest, he scowled in defiant hatred at them.


"Woaaah, what's a girl doing out here?" One of them was laughing at the taunting jeer. He was shaking with rage, but he was so overcome within the impact of the sudden lost his will to fight was stripped from his spirit, only hatred and regret remained in its place.


"That's no girl. That’s Ranmaru." "The Ranmaru? The one Nobunaga Oda is so fondly taken with?" They were closing in on him. "I bet the Oda would surrender if we had such a prisoner." They were all leering at him. He was staring at them, then he looked away to his father.


'What do I do? I can't let myself be used in such a way, I can't let myself be a hindrance to Lord Nobunaga.' Ranmaru was about to stand and face these men, when they were all cut down, he looked over at his lord.


He was atop his black stallion, he was looking back him with a reassuring stare. "Ranmaru... Come back with me to the main camp." He said softly. Ranmaru nodded, "I am on my way.." He stood quickly. "No... Come with me." He grabbed the boy by his arm and pulled him onto the horse, riding back to the main camp in a rush.


"I'm sorry..." Ranmaru apologized in a soft voice. Nobunaga put a soothing hand on his head, and held it there to his chest. "Ranmaru... Yoshinari's death will not be in vain. All of the Azai will fall. All those responsible for his death will perish along with him. Ranmaru... "


Nobunaga could feel the slender boy trembling against him, he made sure to keep as close to him as possible. A birage of arrows flying past his horse from enemy archers. "Ranmaru. You don't need to fight in this battle, try to regain your spirit first..." Nobunaga said soothingly. "I feel... As though I have lost the only man to truly know me... Lord Nobunaga... I feel so defeated." He shook his head.


"The only man...?" Nobunaga asked softly. Ranmaru tilted his head up to stare at his lord. "I would never cast you aside, Ranmaru, regardless of your class or status."


Ranmaru smiled softly and nodded. "I...I... Thank you...Thank you, Lord Nobunaga..." Nobunaga felt a contented smile form on his lips, as young Ranmaru leaned against his chest. "Tell me how you feel..." Nobunaga asked, but everything Nobunaga asked of Ranmaru was a certain order to the younger, Nobunaga was certain he could never change that about the youth, nor was it necessarily a bad thing either.


"I need to fight. I must fight for you... This will not stop my spirit... My father's death will only strengthen my resolve. I will protect you until my dying breath." Ranmaru said passionately.


"Ranmaru... You alone are all the defense I need... Your father would be so proud of you, right now." Ranmaru found himself smiling sadly.


"Lord Nobunaga..." He whispered loud enough only for the two of them to hear, even though they were both completely alone. Nobunaga neared the main camp, and Ranmaru hopped off onto the ground. "I will protect you... Forever." Ranmaru said with certainty. He would let nothing stand in the way of his sworn duty to protect his lord, he would cut down anyone who dared take away all that he had left.


Ranmaru stood by his lords side until enemy troops broke through to the main camp. Any man who set foot near Nobunaga, Ranmaru personally killed. He felt nothing at all at this point, he had never made such a slaughter of the battlefield.


No one escaped him alive, not even those fleeing in distress or begging him for mercy. His father would have all the company to the afterlife that was necessary.


Nagamasa Azai was breaking through to the camp, and Ranmaru made sure he was the first one to encounter him. “You killed my father... “ He said with a seething hatred. “I'm sorry... But I had to do what I thought was right.” Ranmaru pushed his blade against his lance, and ran it through to the man's shoulder. Cutting him deep, but in a non fatal way.


“You won't leave here alive.” Ranmaru said darkly, he continued to rapidly assault the man with his long sword. “Forgive me! I knew no other way!” Nagamasa was doing all his could to not hurt the small, frail boy, nearly slicing him to ribbons.


“You dare beg for forgiveness, with my father's blood still fresh on your hands...?” Ranmaru said with a deep look of hatred in his eyes. Nagamasa knew it was unavoidable at this point, if he didn't also slay this boy, he would be killed by him.


“Nagamasa!” Oichi cried out running towards him, if she was thinking she could save her lovers life by simply being a woman, she was terribly mistaken.


Ranmaru held his blade to her throat when she approached. He knew Nagamasa dare not attack him at this point. Ranmaru looked back at his lord Nobunaga. “Lord Nobunaga... What will you have me do?” He asked softly, but his words trembled with the weight of what this decision would put on him.


“Hahahahaha... Kill them, Ranmaru.” Nobunaga said, pushing him, testing him. Ranmaru had a dark and soulless stare in his eyes. If his father had not just died, he wasn't sure he'd have the cruelty to do it.


He drew his blade back and plunged it into Oichi's stomach. “Oichi!” Nagamasa immediately grabbed Ranmaru, as much as he knew this boy would never forgive him, he couldn't bring himself to hurt him. Oichi fell to the ground holding her stomach, the large blade stuck within her body. Nagamasa was holding Ranmaru down on the ground. He had his lance in his hands. His hands shook visibly. Could he kill someone so young? Looking at him reminded him of Oichi's innocence.


He felt a blade to his neck, the cold steel contrasting with the humid stick of his skin from fighting in battle all day. If he thought Ranmaru's seething stare was bad, the look Nobunaga was giving him could positively kill someone.


“Get. Off. Of him.” He said the words calmly and coolly, but his eyes spoke words of hatred and promises of death. “You will allow me and Oichi to retreat.” Nagamasa held the tip of the lance at Ranmaru's throat. “No! You will not use me as leverage! Lord Nobunaga, kill this man and forget my life.” Ranmaru pleaded.


Nobunaga studied Nagamasa. “You are in no position, to be making demands. When you get your traitorous body off my servant, I might consider not killing you and that dying woman.” It was as good as it was going to get, but Nagamasa had to be sure they could get away.


He looked back down at Ranmaru, as much as his actions had pained him, he had to ensure an escape. He started to get up, Nobunaga moved his sword away. Ranmaru crawled away from Nagamasa with a disgusted stare.


Nagamasa immediately was attending to Oichi, the long blade was pulled out of her stomach, and cast away onto the floor by Ranmaru's feet. Ranmaru glared again at Nagamasa and Oichi. 'My blade has been soiled.' He thought bitterly as he picked the blade up and sheathed it. He was staring at the ground with a defeated look of malcontent.


“Ranmaru... Are you hurt...?” Nobunaga asked with concern. Ranmaru looked at his lord then looked away ashamed. “Only my pride... My lord...” Nobunaga trained his eyes to Nagamasa and Oichi, Nagamasa was doing his best to stop her bleeding. “Ranmaru... Let us leave this filthy place.” Nobunaga said letting his hand out to Ranmaru.


“But... But my Lord... Nagamasa will...” Ranmaru didn't argue further with his lords dark stare. He nodded and took the outstretched hand, and Nobunaga pulled him onto his horse. “Nagamasa... Expect me to come for you, at Odani Castle.”


They galloped away from the battlefield, leaving the two of them there. “I failed to.. Avenge my father...” Ranmaru said sadly. “Ranmaru... You will have your chance...” Nobunaga said softly, Ranmaru seemed comforted because he then began resting his head against his armored chest.


“Lord Nobunaga... What will become of me now? I was but a simple page, contracted to you with my fathers deployment in the army.” He said in utter sadness. “Do not worry... Ranmaru... I'm sure your father was careful to ensure you had a future ahead of you.” Ranmaru looked up at his lords stern, but kind face. He smiled smally and nodded, “My father was a very intellectual man... I am sure you are right...”


“Ranmaru... Your mind and body must be tired from this battle. Rest if you need to, I no longer require to be protected right now.” Ranmaru looked up suddenly, and shook his head. “My lord! I couldn't! Not while we are still this close to the battle!” Nobunaga peered meaningfully into his young servants eyes.


“Allow me to protect you. For a change.” He spoke softly, but he always had this commanding tone to his voice. Ranmaru loved to follow the orders of his Lord, he loved to please him, to make him, and his father proud. To feel fulfilled. 'Is that really all that it is though...?' He sighed softly and closed his eyes resting against Nobunaga.


“You protect me more than just this moment...” Ranmaru said softly, he closed his eyes and let himself be taken away into a stress-less state of slumber.