Other Fan Fiction ❯ Crypton Academy for Vocaloid Enhancement (クリプトンアカデミーボーカロイド用の拡張) ❯ Chapter 2: Kaito, age 20. (怪盗、20歳) ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 2: Kaito, age 20.
 
At first, Meiko was surprised. She at least had a normal hair color. Kaito was head-to-toe blue and white: blue hair, blue eyes, blue scarf, large blue and white coat, and blue pants.
 
“Meiko, this is Kaito. He is Vocaloid 0-B.”
 
“I know, I know,” Meiko shrugged their hands off her shoulders and walked up to Kaito, and poked him in the forehead with two fingers, to which Kaito flinched and smiled, a slight chuckle under his breath. “You talk, blue boy?”
 
“Kaito has already been trained like we did with yo-“
 
“I didn't ask you,” Meiko said, not even turning to give the scientist any attention other than her words. They had been treating her worse lately, and couldn't care less if she was rude to them.
 
Kaito laughed again, and nodded, “I'm fully up to standards, Meiko.” He did a slight bow to show he respected the elder woman and smiled, “I'm looking forward to singing with you. My voice was specially made to harmonize with you.”
 
“So basically, you're a duet kinda guy?”
 
Kaito blinked and then shook his head, “No. I sing solo too. But my voice blends well with yours-“
 
Meiko already heard him the first time. “What type of music do you like to sing, Kaito?” She may have seemed rude, but she was smiling. She really wanted to see if she could get along with her counterpart. It would be cool to have someone like her around.
 
“I like classical, rock, techno…” Meiko liked how he was going, but then he shot himself in the foot. “…and pop.”
 
“Oh.” Meiko sighed, but shrugged it off. If he liked pop, he could take all those songs they tried to force on her. Kaito seemed a little off by her reaction, but Meiko grabbed his arm and started walking out of the room, “Let's go get a bite to eat. I'm starvin'!”
 
The scientists scratched their heads. Meiko was acting quite abrupt and rude. They thought they had trained her well. Kaito, on the other hand was way too polite, and was pretty much easily bossed around by Meiko. Even though Meiko may have liked it, they felt that they couldn't handle properly training Vocaloids to be perfect performers and human beings.
 
So Yamaha decided to trash Project: Vocaloid.
 
They broke the news to Kaito and Meiko that they were to be shut down a week after Kaito was presented to his female counterpart.
 
“Are you kidding me?” Meiko slammed her sake on the table, and looked up at the scientists as Kaito's ice cream dropped to the floor. “You have got to be shitting me right now. After all the work you put into us, and all the adjusting we had to go through to be like you dimwit humans, you want to shut us down? We haven't even sung publically yet!”
 
“That's the thing, Meiko,” one of the suits responded, raising his glasses and taking her sake, to Meiko's loud protests, “Since you haven't been released, it doesn't matter. The public won't know, and we'll just say that we haven't released anything lately because a project's funding fell through. “
 
“This is bullshit,” Meiko huffed, crossing her arms on her chest, and turning to the man in blue, “Don't you think so Kaito?”
 
Kaito was sitting with his jaw open, tears building in his eyes, “Why would you do that? You've made us as close to human as possible. This is like killing one.”
 
“Murderers!” Meiko screamed, grabbing Kaito and running out the door. Kaito struggled under her grip to find his own footing and began to run along side of her. Meiko could only focus on the fact that a bunch of scientists and security workers were chasing after them and they needed to get out of Yamaha fast. Out into the real world.
 
She had never been out there yet. That scared her, and she faltered a step, but kept running. Where would they go? How would they live? Yeah, Yamaha Corp taught them a lot about humans and human life, but they never put her in a real situation like this.
 
“Meiko, where are we?” They stopped running after they lost sign of the Yamaha workers. Kaito looked around the place they stopped. There were humans everywhere, buying food and talking to each other about the weather. They may have been designed to look like these humans, but no one here had blue hair like he did. The humans…. they were staring at the two Vocaloids.
 
“Kaito, follow me,” Meiko whispered, walking towards an alley, out of the crowds view. He followed, and they sat in the shadows. Meiko, for the first time since Kaito's conception, was crying. Kaito didn't know how to react to this, so he just put an arm around Meiko's shoulders.
 
“What do we do now?”
 
Meiko choked her sobbing and sighed, “I don't know, Kaito. We're not human, and humans aren't supposed to know that we're androids. How can we get any of them to help us without them questioning who we are?” She reached her foot out to kick a can resting on the ground, and buried herself in her companion, “I just didn't want to be shut down forever, Kaito. Not when I haven't had the chance to sing yet.”
 
“Same here,” Kaito whispered, holding Meiko's crying body in his arms. He still couldn't get it through his head that the men who created the two Vocaloids would want to destroy them so soon.
 
Then Meiko did something unexpected. She started singing. It was very weak at first due to all the tears, so Kaito sang along what he knew of the song to build up her confidence. He was happy, they did harmonize beautifully.
 
A locked up darkness as if it was trapped in a cage of cold
When letting go of that darkness,
We continue looking for the answer and
And sailing around a place thats unknown
And a future that we have imagined is a benefit
We continue thinking that day will arrive
The promise that I wrote in the sand will be taken
The sea will dissolve it without mercy
The heart that was reflected in the blue sky now is captured by black clouds
And it is dunked in the cold rain
A justice without power is impotent, but is there a meaning of having power without pride?
Even if everybody is an enemy,
Maintaining a challenge without surrendering is difficult
That is our yes, our justi-
 
Kaito looked up, and there were two men standing and watching them.