Other Fan Fiction ❯ Elixir of Life ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Elixir of Life: Part II

A certain bratty Empress was throwing a temper tantrum, among other things. "Why couldn't I win the auction? Why did someone else had to get the elixir of life? I should have my wish granted!" She screamed throwing every object she could get her hands on at any and every unfortunate servant that was unlucky enough to cross her path.

xoxox xox xoxox

On Planet Popunatu, "what was that noise? We need to be quiet," Betty and her crew were sneaking around some secret passages that, in theory, led to the dungeon.

"That was my stomachs. Sorry chief, I'm just so hungry," Sparky whispered.

"Try to keep your stomachs quiet, we can't get caught." Betty approached the end of the little tunnel. The group moved a stone block out of the way and found themselves in the dungeon.

"I heard something over here," a voice was heard.

"They're coming," Betty quickly hid again, moving the black back into place. The guards examined the area, but obviously not well enough. They returned to their posts and the Galactic Guardians came out of hiding. Finding the real Onebu wasn't too hard and they freed him quite easily. In fact, it was all a little too easy.

xoxox xox xoxox

On planet Coolosia, Atomic Rodger's Galactic Guardian watch beeped and he quickly answered it. "Atomic Rodger reporting for duty!" He saluted the image of Admiral Degill on the hologram.

"Atomic Rodger, how is your mission progressing?" Admiral Degill asked.

"The Empress lost the auction at Mortavio and I've been following the one who won, a white usagi girl who bid a magical ice tiara. She's very fast and avoided the entire army that the Empress sent after her. I managed to follow her to planet Coolosia," Atomic Rodger gave his report.

There was a legend of an evil creature that was defeated a long time ago. His powers were drained away by a stronger wizard and he was turned into a normal mortal. However, with the elixir of life, the potion that cures everything, he could recover his power. Exa Jerada, a journalist known for her gossip, had reported that the Empress wanted to give the elixir of life to that evil being in exchange for one wish, the thing she wanted the most. That represented two problems, what her wish could be and the evil creature. Given the fact that Atomic Betty was already on a mission, Atomic Rodger was sent to recover the elixir of life before it got to the Empress, but it wasn't the one representing her who won the auction on Mortavio as they had expected.

An usagi girl offered a rare magic item worth more than the amount of money offered by the Empress, a tiara of unmelting ice that amplified ice magic. It was the kind of magical item that the royal family of the Larutna galaxy had among many others.

Admiral Degill thought bout the possibilities of there being a connection between Betty and Rodger's missions. "Was this her?" The hologram changed to show a picture of zero two five.

"Yes, that's her," Rodger confirmed.

"She is a spy that went missing" Admiral was supposed to keep everything in secrecy but given the very suspicious connection he wasn't going to endanger the atomics by not giving them the full story. "This information needs confidential."

"I understand," Rodger replied.

"Zero two five is her spy number," Admiral Degill explained. "Zero went missing while on a mission in the Larutna Galaxy. She was supposedly captured by prince Olam. Atomic Betty's mission is to protect prince Onebu, arrest Olam and rescue Zero, but this is definitely very suspicious. Continue your investigation and try to locate Zero as soon as possible. I will contact Atomic Betty with the news."

After the communication ended there was an explosion near by. Atomic Rodger ran to investigate. A gray rabbit alien ran away laughing evilly. There was also a white rabbit there, the one who won the auction, dead.

xoxox xox xoxxox

On planet Popunatu, "leaving so soon?" Olam and the guards stood in front of the back exit of the palace.

Betty's plan was to get prince Onebu to safety first then arrest Olam. "Olam, you are under arrest!"

"Olam is dead," he looked like Olam, but if he wasn't, then who was he? "There was once a legendary creature that was very powerful and very evil. He had the power to grant wishes but he interpreted them in his own way. He could read people's minds so that they could not hide their wishes from him. He also had the power to divide himself into two halves that could take whatever form he wanted. One day another wizard defeated him and took away his power, for that he shall pay. But the story continued, as time passed Oscuro recovered some of his powers. He could once again divide into two halves and as long as one lived so would the other. Both halves could also shape-shift into anything he wanted, including your dead brother or a spy agent."

"It's you. You're Oscuro, but why are you doing this. What do you wish to accomplish?" Betty demanded.

"Half of Oscuro," he clarified. "The other half is the one that drank the elixir of life and restored my full power!"

"It was a trap," Betty realized.

"I didn't know..." Prince Onebu whispered.

"Of course you didn't, no one did!" Oscuro laughed evilly.

Oscuro killed agent seven eight nine and took his place to trick agent zero two five into delivering the elixir of life to him. His other half killed Olam to gain access to the magic item that would win the auction. Zero accepted it in exchange for letting the one she thought was Olam go, so she could save Seven.

No one in the spy organization knew where Zero disappeared to, but they knew she always finished her missions. They knew she would return to finish the job later, but to force her to return now, they sent someone else to finish her job. The spy would never let a Galactic Guardian finish her mission. The two organizations lived in peace and helped each other, but they still competed and were rivals.

It all worked out perfectly for Oscuro since Atomic Betty would be kept busy until Zero delivered the elixir of life, while Zero was thinking she was going to save her best friend who was already dead. It was all a distraction to hide the true purpose, and now Oscuro had everything he needed.

"You won't get away with this!" Atomic Betty was ready to fight.

Oscuro threw the two scepters at her which she easily caught. But why would he give up the magical items? "I won't be needing those anymore. We will meet again Atomic Betty!" Then he disappeared.

"Where did he go?" Sparky looked around.

"He teleported," X-5 explained.

Atomic Betty's bracelet beeped and she answered it. "Atomic Betty reporting for duty! I have important news about the mission."

"So you already found the connection between your mission and Zero," Admiral Degill asked.

"Actually, I haven't found her but I found an evil wizard." After a quick explanation from Betty, it was clear what they had to do, now that they knew both sides of the story. If there was any hope of defeating Oscuro, they needed to find the one who defeated him the first time.

xoxox xox xoxox

Long ago there was a wizard who could divide himself into two halves. With his evil magic he threatened to conquer the universe until another wizard defeated him and took away his magic. Slowly, Oscuro's powers recovered until he could partially use magic and once again divide himself in two.

At Mortavio, Solovem auctioned a rare substance called the Elixir of Life, capable of healing any injury or illness. Because of the elixir's effect to restore living beings to full health, it could also restore lost magical powers.

Oscuro, the evil wizard, had the power to grant wishes though he interpreted them in his own way. As a secondary effect created by his own natural magic, when ever he accepted an item from someone he had to grant that person a wish in return. The Empress hoped to offer him the Elixir of Life in exchange for having her wish granted.

An usagi spy codenamed zero two five was sent on a mission to planet Popunatu to stop a battle between two twin brothers, the princes of that galaxy, and restore the throne to the rightful heir. Her partner and best friend, another spy codenamed seven eight nine, suffered an otherwise incurable illness that could only be healed by the Elixir of Life.

Queen Iciclea's birthday approached and her boyfriend, Solovem wanted to give her a special gift. He had heard about a magical ice tiara but did not know of its location. In hopes of finding it he started the auction in which he sold the Elixir of Life.

The elixir was won by Zero who made a deal with the evil price Olam letting him go in exchange for the magical ice tiara which Solovem wanted. Then, in hopes of saving her beloved Seven, Zero traded the tiara to Solovem for the Elixir of Life outbidding the Empress.

But it had all been a trap and Seven was already dead. One half of Oscuro had taken his place and the other half had killed Olam and taken his place continuing his battle with Onebu. The plan was to manipulate Zero into winning the auction with the item given to her by one of Oscuro's halves and delivering the Elixir of Life to the other. Everything went according to his plan.

Now Oscuro had his powers restored. The two halves have teleported and join forces, though they did not merge right away. There seems to be no way to stop him unless the wizard that defeated him in the first place is found.

Meanwhile Maximus and Minimus are in a place known as the End of the Universe. A massive area filled with black holes that no ship can go through. A tanuki called Rickoon is trying to construct a ship that can reach the other side and Maximus has agreed to work with him. Most of the events have connected but a few mysteries still remain.

At the End of the Universe, Maximus was examining at several devices. "Those black holes are not ordinary black holes."

"Yes, they have a lot of magic in them as if they were magical to begin with, or a spell was used on them. Either way that just makes me want to see what's out there even more, but it also makes it harder. Do you think an Anti-Over Loader will work to protect the ship even if the black holes contain magic?" Rickoon asked.

"I'm not sure but there might be a way to overload the black holes and dispel the magic so we'll only need to worry about using the Anti-Over Loader to protect the ship from the left over natural form of the black holes, if any," Maximus replied.

Rickoon gave it some thought. "You know what? Now I wonder why I didn't think of that. I guess trying too hard and hiding all the time has made me miss certain details. I always thought about keeping the ship stable to stop it from blowing up, but to do the opposite and interact with the black holes, I didn’t think of that."

"Well I am a genius. It'll work well if the black holes are magical or if the magic isn't for anything too important. But if they're natural and magic is containing them, the black holes might expand," Maximus explained.

"Then getting to the other side will be harder," Rickoon acknowledged the possible problem.

"That would be the least of our worries. If the black holes expand they'll swallow this planet and will most likely die," Maximus explained.

"In other words we need to make sure we know what the magic is for before attempting to dispel them, right?" Rickoon asked.

Maximus nodded, "right, we'll start the investigation immediately."

xoxox xox xoxox

At the Galactic Guardian Headquarters, the guardians had regrouped to prepare for the mission. "This will be one of our most dangerous opponents yet. Fighting him head on from the beginning is not an option. We first need to find out who defeated him in the past or at east how it was done. It should go without saying that an ordinary magic user will not stand a chance." Admiral Degill explained. "X-5, how is the research going?"

"I have found few clues but they all point to Mortavio. It is logical to think that the so called wizard who defeated Oscuro in the past is there as it is where many famous illusionists gather." X-5 being a robot, still did not acknowledge magic.

"Then our investigations will continue there," Admiral Degill decided.

"Admiral Degill!" Atomic Roger arrived at Degill's office.

"What is it Atomic Rodger," the gold fish alien asked.

"Oscuro has started attacking; both of his halves are in different parts of the universe. One was originally seen at Coolosia and another at Splatty when the attacks first started. At first the one at Coolosia was focusing on destroying that planet first and the other had been traveling by teleportation between Splatty, Lynxia and the surrounding planets. When the Galactic Guardians arrived, he changed his strategy and teleported away. After he was found he continued teleporting. The two halves finally fused soon after to become more powerful. We can't catch up with him," Rodger reported.

"Then there's no time to waste. All the Galactic Guardians will be needed for this mission. Atomic Rodger I'm giving you a special unit to command, the general will give you the details so you should be on your way to meet him at the docking bay," Degill commanded.

"Yes, Admiral Degill I'll definitely accomplish my mission." Rodger saluted and left.

Betty looked a bit curious. She didn't want to hog all the missions but wondered why she wasn't sent. "Admiral Degill, can I ask what Atomic Rodger's mission is?"

"The same as everyone else's," Degill sounded dissatisfied with the desperate course of action that had to be taken. "To protect as many innocent people as possible and buy some time. Information about this event is rare. I'll require all the robots here researching together to track down the wizard who defeated Oscuro, or find out his methods and find a magic user capable of repeating what was done. We should also stay open to the possibility of an alternate solution. Sparky, you too will have control of unit. This is a state of emergency and we need everyone out. There's no telling where Oscuro will appear next since his teleportation abilities are beyond that of most other magic users. By the time we arrive it might be too late for an entire civilization. Because of this, we need to have all the guardians on stand by at all time, all over the galaxy. Sparky, go meet the general now."

"Yes admiral," Sparky saluted. "But what about the chief?" He looked towards Betty.

"Atomic Betty will have her own mission on Mortavio," Admiral Degill reveal.

Sparky knew it was coming, yet he had full confidence in his captain. "Chief, be careful."

"Don't worry Sparky, I'll be fine," Atomic Betty assured.

After Sparky left to prepare for his mission, Admiral Degill explained Betty's mission. "We will continue researching and overseeing this entire operation from headquarters. Oscuro has caused a lot of destruction but because we don't know where he will strike next and we can't effectively chase him, we must position ourselves and wait for him. If we could keep him in one place long enough for reinforcements to arrive then we could, delay the destruction significantly."

"Just delay?" Betty asked. "Then it's clear we need to find the way he was defeated before. I have a guess of who the wizard was but no evidence."

"If you're thinking about Solovem that was my guess too. We will continue the research to see if it really was him and to find out what exactly happened back then in case he refuses to even tell us. But there might be a chance that he has a rivalry with Oscuro that could make him work with the Galactic Guardians temporarily." Admiral Degill knew their options were limited.

"Because the Galactic Guardians enforced the ban against black magic signed by King Rturmex, Solovem has an even bigger grudge against us. Will he make an exception against Oscuro?" Betty asked.

"I can't say. The situation at the moment doesn't look good but we can turn it around. I know we will be able to find out what happened or come up with an alternative solution eventually. But that’s the problem, it will take time that we do not have. Oscuro will continue to hurt innocent people during that time." Admiral Degill's frustration with the situation was clear.

"Right, there's no time to waste. I'll be on my way to Mortavio," Atomic Betty saluted and left.

xoxox xox xoxox

At the End of the Universe, Rickoon, Maximus and Minimus continued studying the black holes and working on devices to get past them or get them out of the way if they really were fully magical. The heavy metal door of the building began to open as if by magic. "Were you expecting someone?" Maximus asked.

"No, you two go hide," Rickoon quickly got into his robotic alien disguise. The door should not be opened that easily. Had his secret been discovered?

"Rickoon, where is the fuel orb?" The door closed behind the wizard Solovem as he asked his question.

Relived that it was someone familiar, even though not exactly an ally, Rickoon removed his disguise and Maximus and Minimus came out of hiding. "It's in the basement but I'm using it. Do you need it back? I'll trade back if you dispel the black holes near here, that is if they really are fully magical and won't be dangerous to dispel."

"Yes they are magical but they are also technological. Good to see you're here too Maximus, it saves me the trouble of tracking you down," Solovem said.

"Why were you looking for me?" Maximus asked.

"Because I need an Over Loader, a big one," Solovem revealed. "To power it the fuel orb will be required. This is to stop Oscuro by over loading him in his own power."

Rickoon, Maximus and Minimus looked confused. "Who?" The three asked at the same time.

Solovem shook his head; it seemed that they had not heard the news. "While the three of you are here, Oscuro, a dark wizard, is out destroying the galaxy. I stopped him years ago with my magic because I did not want a wizard more powerful then me to exist, but this time..."

"You're too old for this now?" Maximus asked.

Solovem glared. "Silence! Does it not bother you that Oscuro is causing more destruction than you could?"

That hit a sensitive spot for Maximus and he was determined to stop Oscuro. "How big does the Over Loader have to be?"

"Big enough to use the fuel orb to full power," Solovem replied.

Maximus didn't know of the fuel orb's full capabilities but Rickoon had been using it for a while. The magical fuel orb could power any machine infinitely. It was one of the rare few magical artifacts that could successfully interact with technology. "Is that even possible without the Over Loader overloading?" The tanuki asked.

"Build a stabilizer for it ," Solovem explained the entire plan. "The goal is to overload the microchips contained in the black holes which are protected by magic. Then once the technological barrier is gone from the black holes I will remove the remaining magical barrier and the black holes, Oscuro's old powers will be released. He seemed to have regenerated his power but the magic he used to have is still sealed here, in the form of these black holes. Since it was his power no doubt he will absorb it. The magic itself should seek him out if he doesn’t come for it. Then, since he already has recovered his power anew, absorbing his old magic will caused him to overload and be consumed by his own magic."

"Then let's begin, I'm not letting anyone cause more destruction than me!" Maximus agreed.

After a few hours of working, there was a knock on the door. "Solovem, Maximus, open the door," a girl's voice was heard from outside.

"Did you tell anyone else we're here?" Maximus asked.

"No and I didn't tell anyone I was coming, or of your location," Solovem answered.

"Is it a friend?" Minimus asked.

"She must be an ally by the sound of it," Rickoon reasoned. Though he wondered how she found them. He opened the door this time without his disguise and let her in.

"Atomic Betty! How did you find us?" Maximus sounded quite annoyed.

"So you were here too. I used a magic tracking devise to find Solovem after I realized he wasn't in Mortavio. I just thought you would be here too since I haven’t heard from you lately and you probably wouldn't want to miss out on getting revenge against someone who is causing more destruction than you," Atomic Betty explained.

Maximus was not happy to be so predictable. "Stalker!"

Betty rolled her eyes and ignored Maximus, then asked Solovem. "Are planning to stop Oscuro?"

"Yes, it's a personal rivalry between me and him; it has nothing to do with helping the Galactic Guardians. I have no inconveniences in letting him cause a little more destruction before stopping him," Solovem replied.

"But I do!" Maximus complained. "No one causes more destruction than me. We need to stop him right away the Over Loader is almost finished."

So the unlikely and not completely willing team continued their work until the new and improved Over Loaded was complete. "You do realize I'll have to confiscate this after we use it," Betty pointed out.

"No way, after the black holes are taken care of, I'm using this on Galactic Guardian Headquarters!" Maximus did his classic evil laugh.

"Let's not discuss that now. I want to see this at work!" Rickoon was certainly excited about seeing what was past those black holes after they were removed.

The Over Loader was a success and the technological barrier from the black holes that were Oscuro's past magic was removed. However even though it worked, the Over Loader overloaded and blew up after its job was done so it seemed that Maximus wouldn’t get a chance to use it on the Galactic Guardian Headquarters after all, it only worked with the fuel orb anyway and it had used all its power, proving that not even magic is infinite after all. Solovem removed the magical barrier, but to their surprise, as they went outside to see the black holes being set free, they found themselves surrounded by aliens.

"I knew I might eventually be discovered but why now?" Rickoon said.

"This is nothing we'll just... um... do something Atomic Betty!" Maximus complained.

"Me? Well I guess we'll have to fight if that's what they’re looking for," Atomic Betty got ready for the action.

"There's no time for this!" Solovem reminded them.

The aliens looked at the dark wizard and started talking among themselves. "Are you Solovem the great wizard who defeated Oscuro in the past?" One of them finally asked.

"Yes, I am Solovem," the dark wizard replied.

The aliens paused for a moment before running off in a panic. "What was that all about?" Maximus asked.

"I am a legend in this galaxy." To that the lynx couldn’t help it but to laugh. "What is so funny?" Solovem's voice echoed and dark magic surrounded him.

"No-nothing!" Maximus jumped back. More black magic came. "What's the problem now? I was laughing at... Minimus, yes, at Minimus, that's it!"

"I didn't do that," Solovem revealed.

"Overloading me with my own magic? Not a very creative plan. Oh wait, that's right, since you don't have enough magic of your own you need to try to use my own to defeat me. That's not happening Solovem!" Oscuro made himself visible in his true form. With both halves fused together he just looked like a mass of dark energy.

"That's what you say but no one can handle that much magic!" Solovem insisted.

Oscuro laughed evilly, which made Maximus angry because he felt he was being copied. The evil wizard then absorbed the magic and did not blow up. "Now I'm twice as powerful with this magic you gave me, your plan failed!"

"Why is he not blowing up? Did we just make him more powerful?" Maximus began to worry, yet everyone else seemed perfectly calm.

"It looks like everything worked out," Atomic Betty revealed.

"Exactly as planned," Rickoon agreed.

"Since I just gave you something and you accepted it, you must grant my wish and interpreting it in your own way will not work on me because my magic prevents it. You have no choice but to grant my wish the way I wish it and I wish you would lose all your magic forever!" Solovem put his real plan into action.

"No! That's worse than blowing up for a wizard!" Oscuro's magic acted on its own, granting Solovem’s wish. It was then very easy for Atomic Betty to arrest him after he was left without magic. The evil wizard Oscuro, was finally defeated and the state of emergency declared all over the galaxy was over.

"That was the plan all along?" Maximus asked, to which Minimus and Rickoon nodded. "I knew that!"

Solovem returned to Mortavio and Atomic Betty returned to the Galactic Guardian Headquarters with Oscuro arrested.

"Now that the black holes are gone there's a whole universe out there to explore," Rickoon looked longingly at the dark skies.

"I'm curious about it, but I need to return to my position of supreme evil overlord. I've been missing for too long and I need to prove that I can cause more destruction than Oscuro," Maximus decided.

"To think that all this time Solovem only let me keep the fuel orb to hide it. He must have known I wasn't thinking about removing the black holes, and didn't care if anyone got past them, but now the black holes are gone so I can explore." Rickoon couldn't wait to go explore what was out there. "I guess it's goodbye."

"Not quite, since the fuel orb was lost, you'll need a good ship and supplies for your explorations. I can provide all of that if you work for me and bring back whatever powers are found in the far reaches of the universe," Maximus offered.

Rickoon grinned, "you have a deal!" Though he didn't say when he would be coming back.

In the end Oscuro was defeated, left without magic and arrested by Atomic Betty. Onebu took his rightful place as the ruler of Popunatu. Solovem reclaimed his position as the greatest dark wizard and threw a big party for Iciclea. Rickoon left on a journey to the far away unexplored corners of the universe and Maximus and Minimus returned to the lair to work on the next evil plan.

End

Disclaimer, I don't own Atomic Betty or it's characters. The original characters I made for this story are mine. Oscuro means dark in Spanish.