Other Fan Fiction ❯ Namco vs Tecmo ❯ The Rich Orphans ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer (bah, different fic, same disclaimer…): If owning a copy of the game means that you own the rights to it then…I still don't own Dead or Alive or Soul Calibur. Tecmo and Namco own them respectively. Oh well…


The environment changed as I worked the fabric of the realm. Helena and Ivy were separated from the others, and placed on the "ring" that I created. It mirrored the first level Helena's stage in Dead or Alive 3, Lorlei, except that a "ring out" would be caused if one of them were to be hit through the breakaway stone wall.

The remaining fighters were now standing inside the building that was one side of the arena, watching through the windows as the battle began. I myself floated overhead.

"Are you ready, ladies?" I asked.

Helena pulled her fan out from her belt and moved into a fighting stance that I hadn't seen before - then again, the ones that she used in Dead or Alive 3 was the only one I had seen.

"This is still all a bit abnormal," Ivy said, "But what the hell." She held up Valentine into a ready position.

I realised then that while Helena thought that it was a normal sword, Ivy didn't know that the thing in Helena's hand was a fan. Admittedly, the fan didn't look like a fan, and Ivy's blade didn't look as if it popped out into a chain. This would make things very interesting.

"Ready." I raise my arm, and let it drop, raising my voice so it boomed like thunder, "FIGHT!"

After the initial shock at my voice's sudden increase in volume, Helena rushed forwards recklessly, but she was merely exploring her opponent's style. She was ready for anything.

Ivy smiled and pressed a catch on her blade's hilt, releasing the chain and lashing out with it. Helena stomped hard to cut her speed, and barely avoids the deadly blades of Valentine. Ivy moved forward, her blade now one piece, and began to attack with it expertly. Helena was readier this time, and deflects the first series of alternating blows with her yet-to-be opened fan. I began to be amazed at her skill with the weapon, and hoped that the others would show similar skill.

Helena hopped back as she saw Ivy's finger move. The chain reached out again, snapping at her face. Helena held up the fan, deflecting the chain away from her face. It bent where the fan had hit it, and wrapped itself around Helena's weapon. Ivy flexed her bicep, pulling back on the hilt, trying to rob Helena of her fan. Helena mirrored the move, and tried to do the same to Valentine while attempting to keep a hold onto her fan. A sly smile crossed Ivy's face, and the blade segments lined up on the chain glowed blood red before leaping to life.

Taki shook her head as she watched the flying pieces of blade chase Helena around the ring, "She'll never survive this trick. I barely did."

Helena strained every muscle in her body as the flying pieces of metal zipped around. A sideways glance told her that her opponent, Ivy, was not moving, standing still with her eyes closed. She was controlling them, Helena realised, just as another flew past her cheek, barely missing her. It was time to change things a little. Helena stopped for a moment, willing the pieces to come to her. When half of them did, she smiled, and held up her fan. She saw Ivy grin triumphantly. Just as the pieces were about to slice through her, Helena flicked her wrist. The fan opened with a whisper, and the first of the pieces bounced off it with the shriek of metal-on-metal, falling to the ground having lost their momentum.

"Then again…" Taki said, shrugging.

Ivy frowned, and commanded the other blades to form a guard in front of her as Helena ran forwards. The opera singer didn't care to smile as she swept away each one. She smiled slightly when she reached her target, and Ivy's eyes snapped open in terrified realisation.

Her body stayed standing for several seconds after Helena had run past. Helena stood like a statue; her body still in the position is had been when she had sliced the blades of her fan through her opponent's chest. The fan itself dripped a steady flow of blood from several of the blades. Ivy's corpse collapsed to the ground with a light thud, and Helena rose to her full height, flicking the fan closed again.

"Helena wins," I said, waving my arm. Helena appeared with the other characters.

"Now, as for you," I said to Ivy's corpse. I waved both arms around in strange patterns, chanting seldom heard words. Ivy's body broke up into a million specks of sparkling dust that gathered together in a cloud and reformed. Ivy gasped in surprise as she awoke. She felt the side of her chest tentatively, where not five minutes ago the blades of Helena's fan had created a fatal slice. There was nothing amiss.

"Necromancy," Ivy whispered, gathering together her sword.

"Like I said, no one can die in this realm," I said to all of them, "That is the way I created the place. One of the parameters I used, if you will. Now, are we ready for the next part of round 1?"

Murmurs rose from the other gathered fighters as Ivy reappeared with them. Some of them continued to berate me for my heresies, but I found it interesting that none of them dared to voice it to me out loud.

"The next battle for Round 1," I announced, "Will be Jann Lee versus Maxi!"