Other Fan Fiction ❯ Namco vs Tecmo ❯ The Screamers ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: If owning a copy of the game means that you own the rights to it then…I still don't own Dead or Alive or Soul Calibur. Tecmo and Namco own them respectively. Oh well…


I decided to be more creative with the ring's setting for Jann Lee and Maxi's fight. I made it the deck of a classic Spanish galleon, devoid of other crewmembers despite the fact that it was at sea, bobbing up and down in the current as ships do. Maxi smiled as he almost instantly became accustomed to the unpredictable movements of the floor underneath him, but Jann Lee seemed to find it slightly more difficult. There was anger in his eyes as he noticed the ease with which Maxi moved. The enclosed part of the ship, which overlooked the deck served as the observation point for the other fighters. There was not enough room to comfortably accommodate everyone - mainly due to Bass, Astaroth and Nightmare's sword taking up too much room, so I placed Ivy and Hitomi in the crow's nest atop one of the masts. Now that there was enough room for the audience, I turned my attention to the two fighters. I stood on the roof of the building, not bothering to hover. My wings trailed behind me anyway, waving lightly despite the fact that I wasn't really using them.

"Gentlemen, are you ready?" I asked. Jann Lee, having gotten used to the ground faster than even he expected, shrugged and readied his nunchaku. Maxi grinned at the challenge, and returned the strange salute that Lee had given him. "Ready…FIGHT!"

This time they paid no mind to the sudden booming of my voice, instead closing into range with each other as quickly as they could, screaming loudly at each other as they did so. Jann Lee's scream was far louder and more powerful than Maxi's, and the ship captain was temporarily dazed by the battle cry. Jann Lee took the opportunity, kicking out at Maxi's stomach before spinning his nunchaku at his head. Maxi had recovered quickly, and as soon as he was kicked he knew that his opponent would try and hit him, probably in the head - it's what he would have done. Maxi's deftness defied Jann Lee of a clean hit, and the nunchaku sailed through the air over Maxi's head. He had dropped almost prone, and Jann Lee's missed attack left him teetering towards a loss of balance. Maxi sped up the process, sweeping his leg in a wide arc and kicking away his opponent's legs from under him. Jann Lee crashed to the deck, and Maxi rose up, pulling taut his nunchaku chain, preparing to wrap it around Jann Lee's neck and break it. Suddenly Jann Lee's eyes snapped open, and he kicked out at his opponent fiercely. Maxi blocked the kick with the taut chain, but was still pushed backwards. Jann Lee rolled to his feet, took one step forward, reversed his direction and thrust both of his elbows back at Maxi. The powerful blow struck home, and Maxi tumbled backwards, coming to a stop perilously close to falling into the churning water. Jann Lee lifted his leg, preparing to kick his opponent out of the ring. But Maxi wasn't nearly done yet, hoisting himself up and dodging the kick in one fluid motion. He was up in a blink, the deadly rod to his nunchaku spinning and whirring, smashing into Jann Lee's surprised face, arms and chest over and over again. Eventually the barrage stopped, and Jann Lee's nunchaku dropped from his dead fingers. His body thumped loudly as it came down soon after. Jann Lee's face was a bloody ruin, and both of his arms, collarbones, and entire ribcage were virtually non-existent, smashed into tiny shards. This would need a little reconstruction, a lot more that Helena's swift and clean kill. But Jann Lee was dead, and for the moment that was all that really mattered.

"Maxi wins!" I announced.

Maxi reappeared with the other fighters. One slightest glance at Lei Fang sent a shiver down his spine, and he did not look at her dark expression again. Outside, Jann Lee slowly got back to his feet, nursing the residual headache that he felt. I dropped my arms, my work done.

"Next battle!" I said. I was beginning to enjoy this, "Will be Bass versus Astaroth!!!"