Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Society: Guardian Angel Story ❯ Gassed. ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Society: Guardian Angel Story

Chapter 2
: Gassed.

Well, I suppose it is time for chapter two! Please review/comment if you read this, but no flames...please. Thanks!!

Warnings: TURKEY SANDWICHES AND YOGURT WOO!!!!!!! .... MORE KISSING SCENES AND SWEETNESS!!! tissues may be needed here.....if you take this seriously. i wasn't tearing up while writing, but...you never know!! ^^ WEEEEEE!! Can anyone else tell I had a bit too much caffeine.....YET I DIDN'T HAVE ANY?!!!!! o_o <_< <_< ;;>_> <_<;;

Disclaimer: I only own Melody, Becca, Zach, Robb, Kody, The Society, The Sincerety Academy for Boys and Girls (I, um, well I at least tried
to make the name up. I apologize if there really is a school called that -_-;;), I do NOT, however, own the school uniforms (since I got them from a picture I found on google), I DO also own my own ideas ^^^__^^^ YAY!!! woo hoo.

**

I grabbed a container of leftover turkey from the other night's dinner, a jar of mayo, and the two slices of bread that I layed on the counter. I popped the bread into the toaster, put it on the setting where it nearly burns it, then walked over to the small, round table off to the side of the kitchen used as our breakfast and quick lunch eating area. I lit the long, red candle that was set up in the middle of the table and stared at the flame. The sound of the bread popping up made me jump. I strode over to the toaster and carefully plucked the black pieces of toast.

I don't know why, but something about sneaking snacks in the middle of the night excited me. I shouldn't need any more excitement though, since I was always on the watch for The Society. I placed the bread on a small, black square plate and began spreading some mayo over it, then the pieces of cold turkey, ending my sandwich with a smile stuck on my face.

"I thought I'd see you here," I almost jumped a foot up in the air as I heard Becca's voice behind me. I looked up at her from behind my shoulder and gave her a sly smile. She rolled her eyes and shook her head, a smile playing at her lips. She walked sleepily over to the fridge and took out a yogurt. Before sitting down at the dimly lit table, she grabbed a spoon out of the drawer.

Once I sat down and took a bite of my turkey sandwich, I finally looked at the time. Twelve-thirty! "I can't believe you Mel...well actually I can, but on a school night! Ugh.... So typical," She shook her head again. I giggled. "So, why aren't you cuddling up with Robb tonight?" I asked, then took another bite.

"He and Zach are meeting, I guess. I gave up looking for them and that's when I found you," She told me as I slowly chewed then swallowed. She suddenly grinned evilly towards me. "So...what's with you and Zach, hmm?" I sighed, getting animated.

"We just...you know. Kissed. Technically only one time though." I blushed in the dimness. Luck seemed to be on my side lately with my surroundings and blushing. She looked at me for a long second, then dipped her spoon back in her yogurt and swirled it. "I'm glad you finally admitted that you like him," She must've been wanting to say that since the day me and Zach first met.

"Yeah, well...I'm not sure how long this will last. It's going to be weird...." I confessed.

"Well, duh! At first it usually is. For me and Robb, it was a bit strange, but it just came naturally after a while." She sighed happily.

"Robb kind of...freaks me out sometimes," I said quietly before lowering my head and biting off a tiny piece of turkey. She stared over at me, almost gasping. "How?!" She slammed her spoon down on the counter. I smirked, keeping my head down. I shot my head up and coughed out, "J-just kidding Becca." She shrugged her shoulders and kept on eating her yogurt. I finished my sandwich as we sat in silence. Some things involving Robb maybe should be kept to myself.

"We'd better get going to sleep soon. I don't know when they're coming back, but they'll be pissed if they find us here. It's a school night, don't forget." I sighed as she reminded me of my dreaded nightmare: school. Full of annoying cheerleaders, stupid jocks, and nerds. Pure joy.

"Becca...," I looked away from her, suddenly getting serious. "Is anyone ever going to tell me all the information about The Society?" I heard her shift slightly, then lightly touch her fingers to my shoulder. "Melody...you know why we haven't told you. You just aren't emotionally ready to understand. You don't want to understand, trust me. It isn't exactly the kind of thing you would ever expect anyone to do. When the time is right, I'll tell you." She ended and patted my shoulder once more before taking her hand away.

"Fine...I'll just ask Zach. I'm sure he'll tell me." I said stubbornly. She rolled her eyes and stood up. Once she threw away her yogurt, she walked back over to me and said one last thing before she left. "If he thinks you're ready to know, he'll tell you. Until then, you need to toughen up." I never thought my best friend would say that to me. But I couldn't expect a friend to be so blatantly honest with me. Only a sister can do that. And that's what she was to me whether I liked it or not.

Ok, so I haven't been totally honest lately. I only know the basic specifics of The Society and why our parents are trying so hard to keep us safe from them. All I know is that The Society is a bad place where bad things happen. My and Becca's parents were spies working for the government a little while back, and their mission was to study The Society. Eventually The Society found out about them, so they used their technology to find and hunt all their close family members, and in price of spying on them and finding out most of their secrets, they wanted to kidnap me and Becca. I'm not really sure what they would do to us if we were captured, since no one around here thinks I'm "emotionally ready", and deciding not to let me in on anything. Ugh. So unfair. Like I'm not emotionally ready. Hah! Can you believe that?! ...Rhetorical question people!

Finally giving up, I blew out the red candle and headed up to bed.

**

I woke with a start from my alarm blasting music next to my bed. I reached blindly over to it, my covers still over my head so no light was possible to get in as I shut it off. I felt a hand go ontop of mine, grabbing me from my bed and making me sit up. My eyes were still glued shut and my free arm clung to my body, swaying with the sudden motion.

"Time for school!" Zach's cheery tone made me groan, then struggle from his grip to go back to sleep. "No Melody, I'm not having that..." He laughed to himself as he put his hand behind my back, making me sit up. My head lulled to the side and I breathed heavily. I started to open one of my eyes and glanced towards my digital clock. It read five-thirty. I sighed and lifted the covers from my body, then swung my legs over the side of my bed. Zach rubbed my back lightly as I let myself begin to wake up. "There we are sleeping beauty. Do you want anything for breakfast?" He asked me. I nodded my head as I rubbed at my eyes. "Waffles?" I shook my head, too fast, and got a small ringing in my ears. "Pancakes?" I nodded, less violently this time. I heard him smile as he got up and walked out of the room, probably to start breakfast.

I got up, feeling like a living zombie, and stalked over to the bathroom. It wasn't until I felt the warm shower water that I finally began to wake up. I hated mornings. I got washed up, put on my horrid school uniform, which including a black, knee-length skirt, white blouse, and a dark red jacket with white sleeves and black edges. I pulled on my black stockings that went most of the way up my calves, followed by my shoes. Luckily, shoes were the only thing we were allowed to pick out ourselves at the Sincerety Academy for Boys and Girls. I snuck my feet into my worn black and white converses and blow-dried my hair out. Once it was all dry, I stuck my long, brown hair in a large, yellow bow, which became my trademark at school.

I could smell breakfast even from the bathroom. The smell intensified as I stumbled down the stairs. Becca already sat at our usual round table, eating bacon and finishing her calculus homework. Her hair was pulled neatly back from her eyes with a barett. Robb sat next to her, wearing his uniform. I always thought he looked so out of place in his school uniform. His red jacket seemed a size too small, yet his white shirt fit perfectly, and his black pants looked awkward on him since he usually wore looser jeans. His brown hair covered his eyes most of the time. Zach stood over the stove, still making my pancakes. A pile already sat next to him on a plate. I didn't know how many more he was choosing on making me, so before he could put more on the plate, I stole it from the counter and sat down. A container of butter already sat in front of me, so I began to spread it onto my pancakes.

Zach sat next to me, smiling as I took a few bites. Zach looked so amazing in his uniform. He's the only boy I knew that didn't complain about wearing his black tie, since he knew how to actually do it and pull the look off. His white shirt and red jacket fit him snuggly, along with his black pants. I couldn't even compare the differences with Zach and Robb since they were so completely different; it was unreal. Zach's hair was put in its' usual style, just barely combed through, but still looked unbelievably gorgeous. It was parted to his left, like always.

I finished up the rest of my breakfast as quick as I could, then dared to look at the time. Seven-ten. "Come on, we're going to be late!" I suddenly yelled. We all dashed to Robb's car and got in. It was a sleek, black sports car, but I could never remember the name of it. We pulled into school just as everyone was walking in the building. I grabbed my bookbag, Zach trailing not too far behind me. We burst into our first period class, which was history, just ten seconds after the second bell rang.

"Nice of you to join us late Miss Brians, Mr. Wells. Take your seats, and try not to be late again." Mr. Lawrence's eyes squinted at us angrily as we sat down in the middle of the room to our seats. I was so glad that Zach was in each of my classes, thankfully arranged from my parents, who decided I should have safety even at school. He didn't actually count as a "student", but he still had to watch over me and help me study and do my homework.

The rest of the day flew by in a blur, stopping momentarily at lunch, then again in English class, where me, Becca, Robb, and Zach all had the same class. We were just watching the "Romeo and Juliet" movie, so we mostly slept and whispered once in a while to eachother. Once that was finally over, we headed out to our lockers and onto our last classes, which meant calculus class for me and Zach.

"Ugh...can't we just skip today, Zach?" I groaned, exhausted.

He shook his head at me and pushed me forward from behind. "No. And besides, after this we get to leave! Robb and I have a very special surprise for you and Becca once we get home." He smirked, looking like he was laughing at in inside joke that I didn't know about. I sighed and kept dragging my feet as he pushed me onward. We took our seats in the very front, which was bad, at least for me, since Mrs. Drakins spits. Yes, I know. Drakins. My school is so weird. I promise you she isn't a vampire though, since vampires are officially banned from my school.

"Now class, today we are going to learn about the wonderful topic of...." I dazed out for good the whole period. I have no idea what Drakins was going on about, and frankly I didn't care. I was so focused on finding out what Zach and Robb could possibly be planning. Something probably horrible...or maybe a way to embarrass me.... Suddenly, from the window, a small item came flying through the window. It was rectangular shaped and seemed to be spraying something. I heard the door and windows lock, and everything started to get hazy. That's when a flashback came at such a fast speed it almost took my breath away.

**

It was two years ago, roughly one year before me and Becca were assigned our ghost bodyguards. Becca's younger brother, Kody, was playing on the floor with his toy cars. He was only seven years old and always seemed to be having fun using his imagination. Becca and I were at her old house for lunch, our parents away as usual, and were only with our maid for the day. A rectagular shaped object came in through one of the open windows, smoking. All the windows shut, but the people, or creatures, ran away too fast for us to see who it was.

Slowly, our vision became fogged, but I could still see a cloudy vision of Kody being taken away by a shadow. After a few hours, we were awake, and at first it seemed nothing had happened. Kody was gone, but I was convinced that seeing Kody being taken away was simply a bad dream, as was Becca. After a long time of searching, we called our parents and told them what had happened. A few weeks later is when they told us it was The Society. That was the first time we ever heard their names before, and I wished it was the last.

Becca had gone into hysteria, from both her brother being taken away and the thought of being kidnapped herself. We'd never seen Kody since then....

**

"Melody get out of the WAY!" Zach yelled, pushing me aside, then getting in front of me protectively. I slipped the front of my shirt over my nose and mouth, trying not to breathe in the gas. All around me my classmates lay either on the floor or spread out in their seats. My eyes began to water from its' vapors and I felt a slow fog coming over me, but I still tried to fight it.

Zach seemed to be fighting a shadow, but when I looked more closely through squinted eyes, I noticed that the shadow just had on all black clothing. It seemed to be trying to get past Zach...to me. They were both relentless, and as much as I hated being seperated from Zach, I knew I had to escape. It would definately make his job easier...I hoped.

With slow steps, I exited the room, slamming the door tightly behind me. Hoping to get fresh air, I took a deep breath away from my clothing, but only got more of the gas. It seemed to have gotten through to the whole school. Students that were walking around in the hall had collapsed everywhere, not one person standing, but me, in sight. My eyes largened as the gas started to get through to me. I swayed slightly, yet through my glazed eyes, I saw a black figure not too far in the distance holding Becca. She was squirming lightly, looking as if she were about to go to sleep too. I didn't want to fight it, though a voice inside of me screamed to, knowing it could be life-threatening if I didn't. But the other half of me didn't care and it relaxed in the warmth of it all.

I felt my body slowly fall to the ground, yet I still didn't feel. My whole body felt numb, yet in a calm, good way. I attempted to smile, but I was too tired to, so I stuck with just resting my eyes. My eyes sang as I felt the rest of me leave. This wasn't the first time it happened to me, but this was the first time I ever fought it, and it was an entirely different experience.

**

"Melody? Mel?" Someone growled angrily. He seemed annoyed at something; worried maybe. I wasn't sure. "When the hell is she going to wake up?!" The voice sighed, this time, in defeat. I heard light slurping sounds, but why? I couldn't open my eyes. Did I die? Did The Society really take me? No...that can't be it. Something about that voice brought similarity, hope, and meaning.

I tried moving my arms and legs. As I got some movement from my left arm, I felt a sting. I cringed at it, but my body didn't respond. I figured I'd better try to open my eyes again, and this time I got a light responce. My eyelids moved in a butterfly wing flutter motion. My vision was a blurry. ' What had happened last? When did I fall asleep? Where did I fall asleep?! ' I thought frantically to myself. I think I remembered.... Something about school. I remembered...a shadow. Becca and Zach at school. A gas bomb...I remembered! Zach! What happened to him and Becca?! ' Where the hell am I?!!! ' I thought more frantically as my memory faded closer.

"Melody..." The voice sighed happily. I knew that voice. Zach! I smiled lightly up at him as he came into focus. He smiled down at me too. I felt him lift me from somewhere warm...must've been his lap, maybe. I sat up, his arm still hovering around my back. I looked around the room and saw Becca sipping some kind of warm drink in a mug, sitting next to Robb. They all smiled warmly at me, obviously glad I was finally awake.

I retured my attention back to my left arm, the one that stung. It was wrapped up in white bandage, laying limply in Zach's warm grasp. "You hurt your hand when you fell," He explained, seeing the confusion on my face.

"So...what happened?" My voice sounded raspy and tired. They seemed to look away all at the same time.

"Well um, Mel...it was, well you know," Becca told me after sipping again. I nodded, understanding that she meant it was The Society.

"I can't believe they actually attacked the whole school," I joked lightly. "We must be really important." I grinned, trying to lighten the mood. Zach tried to smile, but failed miserably. Becca looked defeated and Robb just looked plain pissed off. He was probably mad that one of The Society's people actually got a hold of Becca.

"Melody...they almost got Becca," Robb began to explain. Hah, am I good or what. "The Society almost took you both!" He growled. "You have no idea how much that.... I mean if they actually got one of you I'd just...." My heart leaped with his pain and heartbroke. It was nice to know how much Robb cared for me and Becca. I knew he was protective over Becca, but I never really knew about me. It made me feel even more secure, just that one almost insignificant, caring gesture made me almost tear up.

"Yeah we.... Well, I don't know what we would do. I'd be heartbroken if we lost either one of you...," Zach's voice pained me more than Robb's did.

"Okay, will someone explain to me what the heck happened earlier?!" I cut through the emotion in the air with my impatience, but I didn't care, I wanted answers.

Becca sighed, placing her mug down. "Basically, The Society came to our school, gassed it, then sent in fighters that I guess they either aquired or trained to try to kidnap us." Robb glowered at me, trying not to be too rude. I shivered, realizing how serious all of this really was. Zach rubbed my arm, trying to heat me with the friction. I looked at him from the corner of my eye. I looked back at me, then rested his cheek on my shoulder. I knew he was trying to comfort me, and it was working all too well. My heart almost burst with affection. I closed my eyes and tried to imagion warmth coming from him. It was stupid and idiotic of me to be thinking of this while we were pretty much being hunted.

"Melody....," Robb's voice startled me. "You have to be sure you take all this seriously. If you don't.... Well, I know none of us want to lose you. You are the baby of our little family here, after all." He actually smiled warmly at me. He will always and forever be the greatest, most protective, older brother I could ask for. I stuck my tongue out at him and giggled. I let my eyes drop to the floor then, my smile fading.

"You all know I take this the most seriously I can. But, there's still so much I don't know, so much I don't understand about The Society. And since you won't tell me...I guess I'll have to deal for a little while." I looked back up, hoping my little speech did its' justice. Robb nodded sharply, followed by Becca and Zach. He squeezed me tighter to him and I sighed happily.

"...Who wants dinner?" Becca yelled, breaking our silence.

**

Zach lay next to me motionless. I was under the covers since I felt cold, and he was over the sheets since the cold couldn't bother his ghostly form. His eyes were fixated on my face, searching from my eyes, to my lips, my hair, then back to my eyes. Sometimes he glided his thumb across my cheek, reaching his face over mine, but stopping himself. I stared lifeless out the window at the moonless night where the stars shone brightly. I sighed, taking Zach's big hand and holding it close to me, closing my eyes sleepily.

He kissed my fingertips, then rested on my shoulder. I snuggled my face closer to his, smelling his hair. "Melody...," He began. "I...." I open my eyes slightly and looked down. He pulled my face up from my chin to look at him. He looked worried. I wanted to wash all his worries away, kiss him, and make him feel better again. He's been acting different ever since the stupid thing at school happened earlier.

"Yes?" I asked after waiting a minute of our steady breathing. He looked down again.

"I'm worried. What if...what if The Society actually does get you next time? What if I lose you? I could never bare to...to have you gone. You mean so much to me. You have no idea, Mel," He made me tear up slightly. I sniffled and gazed into his eyes once more.

"I know Zach, but all we can do is try and hope that everything will be alright. If The Society is as bad as everyone is saying...well it wouldn't even matter. Just knowing that I could never see you again....," I coughed a sob. "That would be the end of me." He took my face and buried it in his chest. I cried as he gripped my hair and sobbed with me.

Suddenly, he grabbed a loose hold on my face and kissed me. This kiss seemed rushed, the way he grasp at my hair, but I kissed back at the same pace. Tears rolled down both our cheeks, but we didn't care. I don't know how long we were there, just holding eachother until I finally fell asleep. Horrible dreams of hunting shadows stalked me, but in the end my guardian angel was always there to save me.

**

Well, that's the end of the chapter! It took me actually a long time to figure out what was going to happen next. Thanks to my random mind and staying up for hours trying to think, think, think. THEN I finally came up with this! Hope you all liked...at least a little. If not, that's ok XP I still enjoy writing it. As I previously said, all questions will be answered here if there are any. Bye bye!!