Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Gift With Purchase ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]

GIFT WITH PURCHASE
An Ouran High School Host Club Drabble
 
Written by Miyu, Vampire Princess
 
 
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Written in response to challenge #21 "Free" for the LJ community "ouran_contest". Not sure what spawned the idea, but I wanted to write something a little more upbeat than the ideas that hit me when I saw the challenge topic. I hope I succeeded.
 
DISCLAIMER: Ouran High School Host Club is the property of creator Bisco Hatori, HAKUSENSHA, Inc., VIZ Media (Manga) and FUNimation (Anime). I do not own a single piece of the characters used here. They were kidnapped and used without permission.
 
 
~*~
 
 
A department store the week before Christmas. It was a horrible day to shop. Not because of the snow, or the cold.
 
But because everyone else had the same idea.
 
"It's the last one."
 
"Wonderful."
 
Kyoya Ohtori gave the store clerk a half smile as he hauled his purchase from the stand to the register. It was all very droll, the shopping experience. He could do without the crowds, the crying children and loud holiday music playing overhead. How did the lower class stand this type of shopping experience? How did his personal shopper?!
 
"Is that everything?"
 
"Yes."
 
It was exactly what his sister had asked for, he told himself. The only thing she said she really wanted for Christmas. He didn't understand why she would ask for something as practical as cookware. Her cooking was always atrocious. It would have been more practical to hire a personal chef.
 
"Could I have that wrapped, please?"
 
"Of course." The clerk passed the package to another clerk, who readily prepared to wrap the box. "You also have your choice of a gift with your purchase."
 
"I really don't need--"
 
"It's free with your purchase."
 
"Free?"
 
"Yes, sir."
 
Kyoya tried to wrap his brain around the concept as he gazed from the clerk to a glass case on his right. In it were three items. All looked relatively cheap, which may have been why they were being offered for free. But one particular item caught his attention.
 
A penguin, neck wrapped in a scarf, sat with both arms extended. It had mittens for hands and boots for feet. On its head was a green, knit hat with white fuzz on top.
 
The ensemble reminded him of Haruhi Fujioka.
 
She had shown up to school a few weeks ago wearing similar sportswear. It had been cold, near freezing. But she was well covered. Bundled so well you could only see her eyes.
 
Much like the penguin.
 
He'd all ready purchased several holiday gifts for her, but a little voice in his head thought she'd appreciate this gift much more than any of the others. Not because it was cheap. Or cute. But because it came from the heart.
 
"Sir?"
 
Money was no object. But still, a free gift? How could he say no?
 
"I'll take the penguin please."
 
"All right."
 
Kyoya left the store with his usual escort. He paid no attention to the people who whispered and stared. Crawling into the back of his limo, he instructed the driver to head for home. His father was hosting a party, and couldn't be late.
 
Feeling as if he was being watched, he looked beside him at his package. The penguin peered at him over the opening of the plastic store bag. The smile that passed Kyoya's lips was unbidden, uncharacteristic and...happy.
 
"I won't tell if you won't."
 
The penguin only stared back.
 
 
~END~