Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ He Never Calculated Love.... ❯ My Story ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
He slapped me. Hard too. That sent my glasses flying from my face and to the floor within seconds, and following that, an irritated yell, "You don't have to be so distant you know!" It was true...I am a distanced person. I suppose one raised completely devoid of parental love and affection would turn out to be distanced at some point in their life. But why did it have to be then? Why at age seventeen...did I, Otori Kyouya, have to be such a person? My calculating personality led me to be ever observant of finances and the occupants of Tamaki's ridiculous idea of a club. A club, however, I found myself drawn to daily. Thinking back, as bogus as that club was, I never hated going there after school. It was an amusement to see what outlandish ideas he'd throw in my direction each day. But that day, when I wouldn't tell him what he wanted to know...that though I claimed nothing was wrong...there was.
My problem was Fujioka Haruhi. Visions of her constantly plagued my head. Mind you, it was mostly numbers about her. Her percentages on her tests and assignments...how much money she owed us...gym times...those kinds of little details. I have no idea why I needed to know any of that, well, her debts were important I suppose, but the other facts I knew about her were unnecessary. But my biggest problem was that I loved her. But I suppose my body showed it in a different way. I looked through Tamaki after regaining my composure from his forceful attack on my person and straight at her. My eyes glazed over, I could tell from how agitated Tamaki still was, and I stood there before him unmoving. "You're still not answering me, Kyouya!" He screamed at me, "I don't know where your mind is anymore these days!!! Why do you constantly ignore me?!" I had had quite enough of Tamaki yelling at me and turned on him.
"If you are quite finished, Suou-san!" I snapped. It had been unintentional, and it left him a bit crestfallen that I had been so formal with him, but it made my displeasure known. Unfortunately, it also caused everyone in the Host Club to turn and look at what had made me so angry.
"Kyou-chan...why are you so angry?" Hunny was the first to inquire to my displeasure. Mori passed me a questioning look aswell.
"Yeah, Kyouya. What's up?" The twins followed closely. But from Haruhi, the look wasn't even directed at me. Hers was of frustration, and aimed directly for the idiotic blonde who had caused me to shout in the first place. She came rushing at him and grabbed him by the ear; dragging him forcefully away from me, she scolded him in that attractive, commanding voice of hers saying,
"Senpai, can you just leave him alone today? Goodness, maybe he was ignoring you because YOU'RE what's on his mind and what a bother you can be sometimes!" I inwardly sighed, if only she knew how I felt about her, if only she knew it was HER that was on my mind. I had no idea how she felt about me...I hoped she hadn't any feeling whatsoever for me, that would make my trials so much easier, because then, I wouldn't have to worry about offending her if we got into a relationship. Lately, I'd been such a...well, how do I put this politely....I can't. I'd been such an ass around her. I think that she probably knew how I felt about her, seeing as I'd say the stupidest things around her, and I'd for some reason become confortable enough to confess to her how irritating certain teachers are and how I thought Tamaki's paranoia was contagious because I was sure now that the English Literature teacher was out to get me. I mean, how much more unlike me can THAT have been?! As I stood there like an idiot, I was startled out of my reverie by a tug on my sleeve. "Kyouya-senpai? Are you alright? You don't look well." It was her. I blushed like a fool as I unsteadily answered her,
"Y-yes, Haruhi...I'm p-perfectly fine...uh...h-has everything been closed up for the evening?" She nodded slowly.
"Hai...Senpai, I'm wondering if we might take a walk through the gardens this afternoon if that's alright? There's something I want to talk to you about." there was a soft blush on her cheeks as she asked this.
"Sure. My driver can wait." I answered her. I honestly said that! And I hadn't even had to think about it! I was curious about how that walk would be...would I be able to control myself and not kiss her? Not scare her away? And what could it have been that she wanted to talk to me about?


I locked the door to the Third Music Room and turned around. She was there waiting for me, with a smile on her face. I noticed a slight flush on her face...or was it that she was blushing? I couldn't tell for sure, I was still in a foggy state of mind because I would be walking around that large garden with Haruhi.
We began our walk through the maze of rosebushes and it began pleasantly enough. We talked about different things, her father, stresses of midterm exams, how the blossoms on the sakura trees should be coming in soon, and how Tamaki would probably want to have another party in among the blossoms. Then, she got a serious look on her face. "Senpai..." She started. I stopped walking and looked down at her,
"Yes, Haruhi?"
"Is there something on your mind that you'd like to talk to me about? I've been concerned about you these past few weeks. You look like you haven't gotten much sleep, and your cheeks always seem to be flushed...are you ill?" Thank Kami-sama that the sun was reflecting in my glasses at that point...my emotions would have given way.
"N-no. No, I'm not ill...I, um...just have alot of things to think about." I turned to look at the roses on the bushes as if they were the most fascinating things in the world.
"Oh. What kinds of things? Am I able to know?" I smiled to myself. That was just like her. Always making sure she wasn't imposing on anything personal.
"You, primarily." I answered, back still turned to her.
"Oh? What about me?" Though I couldn't see it, I could tell she was blushing.
"Well...I'm uh...concerned...about your...eating habits." Eating habits?! Damn was I being an idiot!
"My eating habits?"
"Yes. It seems that you've been running out of the house without breakfast in the morning...and I haven't seen you in the cafeteria recently. Its showing in your PE grades." She sighed. She was probably thinking 'my god, is there ANYTHING this guy doesn't know?!' but she still answered,
"Well, I've been oversleeping lately. The Host Club is starting to tire me out. While we're on the concept of you concerning yourself with me...how far along in my debt to you all am I?" I pulled a petal off the rose I'd been staring at,
"You've made quite a dent. I'd say only about until the end of this year, and you'll be...paid...off..." my voice trailed off. That was right, wasn't it? As soon as she paid off everything she owed us, she was free to leave, and I was betting she would.
"Oh." Was the only response. "Was there anything else, that you were thinking about?"
"Love, actually." Ironically it was a title of a British film...but also of what I was thinking of.
"Love, Senpai?" I kicked myself mentally for spewing that out.
"I-is it so much of a surprise to you, Haruhi?" I still couldn't face her...I could feel that I was blushing like mad.
"Its not so much of a thing I'd think you'd be stuck in thought about, Senpai, that's all. May I ask...what about love?"
"It's not so much what as who, Haruhi." Damn, this confession was getting painful.
"Oh. May I ask who?" I couldn't hold back anymore. I spun around and kissed her in response. And, well...the rest they say is history.

Now, I'm sitting here, ten years later, in bed, next to my wife. As I look on her sleeping face, I can't believe how painfully pitiful I was at telling my beloved Haruhi that it was her indeed that I loved. Oh well. We're married now, and actually, our first child is due in two months. We're thinking of naming her Aoko Kohana, The Little Blue Flower. Ironically enough, that was the color of the flower which I had picked at as I confessed to Haruhi my love for her.

~OWARI~