Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Host Club Love ❯ The plot turns out a little different from the recipe ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Looks like everything worked out alright.” Honey-chan nodded. Lunch outside was definitely a good idea today.
 
“I'm glad Kao-chan's alright.” Kyouya, Honey, Takashi and Tamaki sat around a wrought-iron picnic table and watched Haruhi try to brush off her two hyper classmates. “That reminds me Tama-kun, what did you say that made Hika-kun so mad at you?”
 
“It's not really that important. You know me!” Tamaki grinned. “I always say stupid things.” No one at the table was convinced.
 
“Ah, tono? Can I talk to you for a second?” Kaoru started to get up but Hikaru waved him back. “No, not this time. It's just me and him.”
 
The world could have disintegrated and time itself could have imploded and the host club members probably wouldn't have noticed. Tamaki nodded and started after the older Hitachiin.
 
“Kyouya… if I don't come back in ten minutes send Honey-sempai and Mori-sempai to rescue me.”
 
“Don't worry tono. Hikaru won't kill you.” He looked around curiously at the gazes he was getting from everyone. “What? What is it?”
 
“Ah, never mind Kaoru.”
 
Behind him he could hear Kaoru still asking what had happened that everyone else knew about.
 
“What is it?” Hikaru crossed his arms sullenly.
 
“The doctors said he was lucky. He had a strained ankle and a cut on his head but that was it. They were surprised he didn't even have a concussion after falling down that length of stairs. He had to stay home a rest for two days, but the doctors say he's all right now.”
 
“That's good.”
 
“Tono… Tamaki-sempai… I've never been really good at making apologies…”
 
“Well that's okay. I've never been really good at accepting them.”
 
Hikaru glared. “You're making this difficult.”
 
Tamaki grinned. “You bet!”
 
“I… was scared. I've never been without Kaoru before, and seeing him there… it had never occurred to me before that he might die sometime and leave me… knowing I might not see him again…”
 
“That was very heartless of me. I shouldn't have said that. Besides, that height wasn't likely to kill him.”
 
“Still, I didn't mean it, when I called you a… well you know. And you're annoying, but I don't really hate you. At least I don't hate you right now. I really hated you then though.”
 
“Apology accepted! Now, we can talk about forgetting about this whole stupid contest.”
 
A sneaky grin came across Hikaru's face. “That's just because we won.”
 
“WHAT! She was consoling you! It doesn't count!”
 
“Yes it does. Besides, she kissed Kaoru's cheek later.”
 
“He was unconscious! That doesn't count either! Hey! Don't you walk away from me!”
 
They bickered all the way back to the table, where Kaoru immediately jumped in the argument on his brother's side.
 
“You didn't even feel it!”
 
“You know Hikaru, now that tono mentions it, I do remember feeling something when I was unconscious…”
 
“NOT POSSIBLE! You're making it up!”
 
“You're just jealous because Haruhi kissed us.”
 
“That's it! Another competition and this time you're going to lose!”
 
The matching Cheshire cat grins faded into view. “How about a water-gun fight tono?”
 
“Right here, right now!”
 
Haruhi sighed in exasperation as the boys ran to change into swim-trunks. “It feels like they're never going to stop.”
 
“I wanna play too! Play with us Haru-chan!”
 
“We have a class meeting.” Honey pouted at Takashi.
 
“Not fair. I don't wanna go! I wanna play.” But he waved goodbye and followed obediently. Kyouya rose and started to pick up his untouched dinner basket.
 
“You have to go too Kyouya-sempai?”
 
“No. When those baka start their competitions they tend to forget there are other people around. I'd rather not get wet today.”
 
“FIRE!” The twins jumped out from behind a bush and blasted Tamaki who hadn't had time to find cover. Haruhi dodged a mis-aimed spout of water and decided Kyouya probably had the right idea. She grabbed her bento and made a dash for the music room. Another spout of water hit her square in the back, but who did it or whether or not they even noticed she couldn't tell. She managed to make it inside without getting too wet.
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx
 
“Didn't move fast enough?”
 
She smiled. “I should have left when you did Kyouya-sempai.” She dropped down in the chair across from him and opened her bento.
 
“What I am curious about is why you put up with this.”
 
“Well it really annoyed me, until Honey-sempai told me that it wasn't much use getting mad at Tamaki or Hikaru and Kaoru, since they were all pretty much pawns in your plan.”
 
“Is that so?”
 
“Now my turn to ask a question. Why did you try so hard to sabotage everyone else?”
 
“I was bored. And it was interesting.”
 
“That sounds like something Kaoru and Hikaru would say.”
 
“It was quite profitable. Our income over the past two weeks has increased by at least ten. I figured that as long as they were bringing in more customers and they didn't break anything, it was alright with me.”
 
“But that still doesn't explain why you manipulated everyone from behind the scenes.”
 
“…I have no idea why.”
 
“You know what I think sempai? You didn't want any of them to win. So you pretended to be `helping' both sides, but really you were making them get in each other's way. I think in your own strange way you care about me.”
 
“That's an interesting opinion.”
 
“Don't tell me you were after a kiss from me…”
 
Kyouya looked properly annoyed. “I have no interest in their little game. The game I play has it's own rules.
 
“Well,” she finished off her bento, “that's a relief. I'm going home now.” She got up. As she was passing by his chair, Kyouya caught her arm.
 
“Try to be a little more upset when Tamaki thinks dirty thoughts or when those two fondle you.”
 
“Kyouya-sempai?”
 
“You're allowing them to molest you. It's not proper by any standards. Try to be more concerned about yourself.”
 
Haruhi couldn't help a smile. “Okay sempai.” His arm fell from hers and he turned back to his meal. Suddenly his eyes widened as Haruhi flung her arms around his neck and planted a kiss on his cheek. “You win…” She ran out, smiling. For the first time EVER, someone caught Ohtori Kyouya off-guard.
 
For a long time Kyouya stared at the closed doors. “…Haruhi?”
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx
 
Haruhi felt like skipping from class. Finally! Back in her own seat, with her own classmates and problems she could actually answer! After a week in the senior class, her classroom felt like heaven. She swung open the doors to the third music room, convinced that nothing would ruin her mood. She was even forty minutes early today, so she would have time to go along with whatever crazy scheme the king came up with before the clients arrived.
 
She was greeted by screams.
 
Haruhi blinked, and checked her watch. She was definitely early. So what were all these girls doing here?
 
“Uh, Hikaru? What…”
 
“They're here by invitation for the private screening. It went on sale this morning and every copy sold out before first period. Kyouya-sempai ordered ten more shipments already. They should be here before the end of the screening.”
 
“Screening? Of what?”
 
“Haruhi-kun, please, can I have your autograph?”
 
“Me too! Oh, Haruhi-kun, me too!”
 
Haruhi looked at what was thrust into her hands. “What the… Host Club Love? Produced by Houshakuji Renge, directed by Ohtori Kyouya.” The picture on the front was a shopped photo of herself wearing a flowing white gown, curled up and asleep in the center of a red rose. She flipped the video over and read the blurb aloud. “Destined to be the center of controversy, Fujioka Haruhi becomes the prize in a fierce battle between former friends. Follow the story of a young person's search for love in a…” She blinked. She blinked again. But it was still there. The blurb, the screenshots, all of it was right there in her hand. The first shot had her and the twins under the table. Another had her being carried by Takashi. Still a third showed her reluctantly modeling the Hitachiin dresses.
 
“Haruhi-kun?”
 
“Um, please excuse me ladies, I need to talk to Kyouya-sempai for a moment.”
 
“SQUEAL!”
 
“Is it about the last scene? Oh that was so kawaii!”
 
“So unexpected! Kyouya-san of all people…”
 
“Sempai!” Kyouya looked up.
 
“Oh, Haruhi you need to get changed sometime between now and the end of the screening. We're having a photo shoot and Renge arranged for a graphics designer to create a promotional poster, so we'll nee you, Tamaki and the twins to pose for that.”
 
“Kyouya-sempai… when… why… how!? The table scene…”
 
“In preparation for this movie I had cameras installed in several appropriate places. I made sure that every square inch of this room came up on a camera. Also, I receive the footage on a portable screen and I then determine the angle the camera would need to move to correctly capture the scene. There was quite a bit of editing in order to keep your secret however.”
 
Haruhi still had trouble putting together full sentences. “But… even under the table? And my house…”
 
“This,” Kyouya said, holding out a life-like bird, “is the latest technology in candid video recording. One followed all of you everywhere. And as for the table, it has been my experience in this club that interesting things happen under tables. Get ready for your autograph signing.”
 
“I should have known. Kyouya-sempai, you are truly frightening. I should have guessed this from the very beginning.” Shaking her head, Haruhi walked toward the inner room.
 
“That was really smart Kyo-kun!” Honey-chan beamed up at him. “You can't look like you're going soft right?”
 
“Pardon?”
 
“I watched that last scene. That was very real Kyo-kun. You must be a really good actor, right?”
 
Kyouya saw something a little different in Honey's smile, and the same look reflected in Takashi's eyes.
 
“It's too bad that Tama-kun, Haru-chan, Kao-kun and Hika-kun don't realize what a good actor you are.”
 
Kyouya returned the knowing smile as the twins called for the `evil shadow master'.
 
“Yes Honey-sempai, it really is a pity, isn't it.”