Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ So Close ❯ So Close ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

A/N: Another Kyouya x Haruhi fic. I love that pairing so much, and I think I'm stubbornly refusing to start reading the manga in fear that Bisco Hatori will make her fall in love with Tamaki. Sorry for the run-on sentences sometimes, and the slight OOCness of Kyouya.
 
Disclaimers:
I do not own Ouran High School Host Club or any of its characters.
The song is “So Close” by Jon McLaughlin and it's on the “Enchanted” soundtrack.
This is set at the end of the anime, after their school festival. I don't think there are any spoilers.
 
Feedback is very welcome.
 
--
 
/You're in my arms
And all the world is calm
The music playing on for only two
/
Kyouya was dancing with Haruhi at the ball that marked the end of the festival and the end of the year. Floating with her through the liquid notes, Kyouya felt only peace. It was as if the rest of the world had ceased to matter and all was encompassed by the girl in his arms.
 
/So close together
And when I'm with you
So close to feeling alive
/
Haruhi had brought life to their host club. Everything that had happened before, while indulgent and fun, had been but passing amusement for each member. Kyouya, who never missed a detail, could read it in their eyes. While Haruhi might claim that he was the one who could make such a club possible financially and Tamaki the one who could find extravagant enough ideas to make the monetary deficit in the first place, it was she who held everyone together. She had brought the joy of living to Kyouya, where before he had just been existing.

/A life goes by
Romantic dreams will stop
So I bid mine goodbye and never knew
/
 
In almost Tamaki-esque fashion, Kyouya imagined what it would be like to admit to loving her, and miracle of miracles, of having her love him in return. His inner theater shot to a life where they would belong to each other, smiling quietly in contentment. The host club at their wedding, a child or two in the future.
 
Kyouya shook his head slightly, dispelling the thoughts. Idle fantasies were not his field. But even Kyouya couldn't manage to let go without a twinge of regret.

/So close was waiting, waiting here with you
And now forever I know
All that I wanted to hold you
So close
/
He knew, now, with her in his arms, that she was the only one he'd ever wanted, and probably ever would. She was the only one who could make him happy and content with his life. Everything else had been calculations and predictions, but she had been real.

/So close to reaching that famous happy end
Almost believing this was not pretend
And now you're beside me and look how far we
've come
So far we are so close/

He spun her out slightly and as she came back, he brought her close to hold her, and knew in the glowing happiness of his heart, that she was his, at least for this moment.

/How could I face the faceless days
If I should lose you now?
/
 
Finally after a short eternity the world came back to focus. Tamaki's tantrum at how Kyouya had stolen this dance that had miraculously circled them the entire time shifted back into his peripheral vision. He could also see the rest of the host club in the edges of the crowd looking on with gazes that matched too similarly to his own hidden emotions. With an inaudible sigh, Kyouya gave Haruhi one last smile before pushing her into Tamaki's unsuspecting arms.

/We're so close
To reaching that famous happy end
And almost believing this was not pretend
/
 
It would have been easy to prolong the dance, but Kyouya's heartbreak would have been far more damaging had he finally started believing the fantasy. So he did what he was wont to do, and melted into the shadows to watch.

/Let's go on dreaming for we know we are
So close/

It was difficult knowing that he could possibly make her love him. He could in essence steal her away from everyone. But Tamaki, his dear cursed fool of a best friend, was in love with her as well and Kyouya, though he could be demonic when necessary, would never willingly hurt Tamaki. So he would give her up. He stood there as long as he could bear it, watching everyone dance with her, drinking in every change in her emotion, treasuring every note of laughter from her voice. And when the night was over, he would close his heart, and forever stand beside her as his best friend swept her away.
 
/So close
And still so far
/
 
[End]