Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Twin's World ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"Oh Hikaru... Hikaru, I love you!" A tear streamed slowly down Kaoru's face and Hikaru bent down, as expected from the squealing fans, to kiss it away. The problem was the Hikaru stopped midair. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, since after all, the fans had been delighted by the possible mystery between the twins. But was that really a confession? Did they have a fight? Might there be a love triangle? Was that a rejection? Poor Kaoru!

"Ne, Hikaru, are you okay?" Haruhi asked quietly after the clients had dissipated. Tamaki was still moping around in the background, grumbling something garbled between "homo character," "father," "no permission," and "leave my daughter alone." Like usual, he was ignored without second thoughts. After all, it was Tamaki, the cough-clown-cough king of the host club. Could anyone ever take someone like him seriously?

"Yeah, yeah, fine... but! Is Haruhi perhaps worried about me?" Hikaru bent down closer to the girl without much preference of gender or sense of danger, for that matter. Tamaki could still be heard vaguely in the background, now fuming in envy.

Across the room, Kaoru looked out the window, thinking deeply about something. This was actually the first time that the twins had been so far away in action... but not in thoughts. From observation, Kaoru blushed, propped his chin on his hands, and the burst into bitter laughter. Hikaru didn't bother to even shoot his twin any sort of look.

Kaoru knew that Hikaru was ignoring him without having to look at what could have been mistakened as a couple -- Haruhi and Hikaru. He could guess, and probably correctly, that Haruhi had an unflattered look on her face, and Hikaru was trying desperately to make a spark. After all, Hikaru was his reflection in the mirror, and he knew exactly what Hikaru would do under what circumstances and when and why and how. He could also estimate Haruhi's reactions.

He was getting bored, truthfully. He has only stuck to the host club because Hikaru willed it... and somehow he didn't muster up enough will power to leave his twin. But he knew he couldn't hold on much longer.

A single question plagued him though: why exactly was Hikaru so interested in this Haruhi? Okay, the fact that Haruhi was a rarely seen commoner with no pedigree at all was probably the only thing. And maybe that she doesn't have a problem with crossing the gender lines. Or maybe how she can hold off Tamaki. Or maybe how she intruded into the secluded world of the twins, the quiet, calm, isolated world that no one has even taken step in before. Even Takami's invasion was only temporary.

Really though, those matters didn't concern him. She was just a bit eccentric and good-looking, but aren't there women like that all over the world?

Curiously enough, Kaoru began to feel a surging wave of jealousy splattering over him and he was fully aware of it. Except he was too oblivious to notice why there was that wave in the first place.

Hikaru kissed Haruhi mildly on the forehead, something that Tamaki had not yet done. But did he really enjoy it...?

"Ah, I only smelled your hair." He excused himself, making the lie sound so fake that people would immediately know the truth, or what he believed was the truth.

"If you wanted to know what type of shampoo I used, then you might as well ask." Haruhi shrugged away, without rejection to the kiss. Tamaki was insulted beyond repair, and had sulked into his little corner to weep.

"So what if I wanted to know what you put on those lips of yours everyday..." Hikaru was so close to kissing Haruhi. But somehow, it didn't feel right at all. It was as if he was merely just kissing some girl. There was no spark, no love, not anything.

The door slammed shut, making even the Tamaki-corner come back to reality. Kaoru had sprinted out of the music room without warning. It didn't seem like something he would do.

Then again, neither of the twins was really acting normally. What happened? Was it because that one had hurt the other? Had one gotten jealous? Had one gotten mad? Had one betrayed another? What is this friction?

Haruhi had accidentally let the look of dismay sneak onto his face, but immediately realized his mistake and smiled roughly. He continued his short affair with Haruhi, only to be cut off by the short "Honey-sempai".

"Oi, Hika! I want some cake! Can you go get me some strawberry cake?" The short little blond smiled cutely. Hikaru didn't see through the purpose of the interruption and frowned vaguely in thought.

"No." He said decisively, surprised.

"Well, are you so sure? Wouldn't you like to?" Mori-sempai smirked slightly behind Honey. The smirk suddenly reminded Hikaru of what the two meant.

"Ah! Yeah, 'course." He grinned and ran out of the room, to get "cake".

"I wonder why he obeys you so easily." Tamaki came out of the black corner and pondered outloud.

"Maybe because he's not really getting the cake." Haruhi smiled. Tamaki looked at her in confusion, but by that time the typical look of boredom and revived on her face.



"Hey, Kaoru!" Hikaru shouted from the staircase. Kaoru was already running towards the exit, and he was blindly ignoring his other half.

"Kaoru!" Hikaru shouted again as he thoughtless jumped down from the top of the staircase. Halfway through he realized that he was actually jumping down the staircase. And there were 72-steps in total.

He tried not to sound as if it really was so painful when he landed on his knees. But he knew clearly from the sound that he had broken something. The pain had covered his nerves, and he didn't hear himself scream. In all reality, the scream wasn't in pain; it was a scream of despair, regret, and agony.

Why was he so stupid? Why did he hesitate so much to realize it? It's too late now. The person who he truly treasures had already gone.

He sat alone on the carpet, hugging himself tightly. He imagined that those were Kaoru's arms. He almost imagined Kaoru's voice... almost. But that escaped him, just like Kaoru had.

For the sake of vanity, for the sake of not being laughed at for incest, he had lost his most important value. It was as if he was an angel without wings.

There were no tears. There was only the bitter taste of regret.


Kaoru thought he heard Hikaru scream as he rushed out of the entrance room. He hesitated and looked back at the elegant building. His eyes narrowed slightly. He wondered if Hikaru was doing it only so he would return... and be made a fool of.

That's right. He loved his twin, the wrong way. So what?

But it would have been much nicer if Hikaru had only rejected him plainly. Even that was less painful than seeing Hikaru avoid him and refuse to even permit him to love him.

It was silly even asking to see that guy again. After all, what good can it do? Hikaru would only avoid him and move closer to Haruhi, inflicting a deeper wound. Kaoru didn't realize that at that moment, the very heavy sense of despair that was pressuring him wasn't his own. He had forgotten that Hikaru and him... they were connected in a very special way.

He kept running, tears streaming down his face, until he tripped over something. Memories came flooding back as he watched the little scratch on his knee begin to bleed.

"Kaoru, you hurt yourself somewhere, didn't you?" Hikaru's childish voice came back, and although the tone was as still as steel, the words were whispered with a small overtone of worry.

"Ah... just a little." Kaoru heard himself reply. How long ago was this? He couldn't remember.

"Well, you idiot! Don't hurt yourself anymore, you know? If you hurt yourself, I'll feel it too."

And then something sparked.

He turned around and dashed back, to find Hikaru clutching onto himself desperately, blood staining through his tailored clothing. But there was something much stronger than that pain, and Kaoru suddenly felt it overwhelming him.

How could he not have noticed? How could he not have seen the placid look in Hikaru's eyes when he was taunting Haruhi? How could he have avoided Hikaru's little loving replies, little notes that told him to wait for him? How could he have merely ignored the pain that his other half was suffering through?

"Ah, Kaoru... Kaoru..." Hikaru repeated Kaoru's name slowly, feeling the consonants slip through his mouth.

"I'm here now, Hikaru, I'm with you." Kaoru embraced Hikaru's shivering body tightly. He wouldn't let him escape this time. He wouldn't ignore Hikaru's little ways of showing his true emotions this tiime.

"Kaoru, I just forgot to say that...I'm sorry." Hikaru finally said. Kaoru was still gripping onto the body that was slowly slipping from consciousness.

"No, no it's alright. It doesn't matter, if you feel the same way as I do." Kaoru smiled bitterly. So he was finally rejected. At least the right way this time.

"Which way do you feel, Kaoru? I think we feel the same way... my twin brother..." Hikaru smiled with a hint of ambiguity. Kaoru frowned and stared at Hikaru, but his other half had already passed out.


"Nooo! Hikaaaaaa! Don't go... don't go!" Honey sobbed, but Haruhi only shot the senior another emotionless glance and repeated for what seemed like the billionth time in a day: "He's not going to die, sempai."

"Ah..." Kaoru suddenly remarked. Everyone stared at him, waiting for him to finish, but he only smiled as he walked towards the patient room, "Hikaru's awake now. I can feel it."

"Ah, so psychic!" Tamaki sighed in envy, "I wish Haruhi and I were the same way."

"Thank god wishes don't always come true..." Haruhi whispered to the side.

They followed Kaoru to the door, but at the last second, they sneaked away. The twins were by themselves again.

"Ah, you dummy!" The two yelled at each other the same time, "Why did you do that?"

Without pause, the two continued screaming at the top of their lungs, "Because I love you, you idiot!"

"What..." The reaction between the two was in sync this time too.

Perhaps they really are the same person?


"Kaoru, I love you so much..." Hikaru whispered delightfully, enjoying the little squees of excitement coming from their clients. But he was also dead serious.

"I...oh Hikaru! I feel the same..." Another tear slipped down Kaoru's face.

Honey sempai played with the little bottle of tear-drops, "Wha? Kaoru's not using his eye-drops?"

"Oh my Lord! Those tears are real?" Tamaki's voice boomed over the room. His surprise was reflected in everyone else... in quieter ways, of course.

"Ah, they're becoming better actors." Renge complimented as she rose out of some weird spinning ground thing that no one has uncovered the mystery of. She was also chewing on a banana.

"Or perhaps they're just living their roles." Tamaki commented, and every stared at him for making such a brilliant remark. It was ambiguous, and perfect in tone.

"What?" Tamaki asked, "Don't you think that they look more homo now?"

Haruhi stared straight on, pretending that the confused idiot next to her really didn't exist. How could he not notice?