Outlaw Star Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Of Princesses and Space Pirates ❯ Chapter 4: Past Enemies and Premonitions ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own any of the characters in this fanfic, nor do I claim them. The idea, however, is mine. Enjoy!
 
AN - I really have to apologize for taking so long to get this part out! I knew what I wanted to write, only I didn't have the time to sit down and write it. ^_^* But I want to thank you guys, for the support. It really is keeping me motivated, so keep those reviews comin'!
 
Of Princesses and Space Pirates
Chapter 4: Past Enemies and Premonitions
 
 
Jim Hawking slowly awoke from his unexpected late-afternoon nap, and sat up on the couch. Still trying to shake the fogginess of sleep from his head, he stretched out his arms and legs, and yawned loudly. Lazily, he slouched back, burrowing deep into the couch. Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, he slowly became aware of his surroundings. A single light lit the otherwise darkened room, and as he looked around, a slow smile spread across his face. Finally, everyone was gone, and he could have some much deserved peace and quiet.
 
Jumping up from the couch with a sudden, newfound burst of energy, Jim's bare feet slapped against the cold tile floor as he padded across the room. As he headed towards the kitchen to raid the fridge - or rather, to see what Aisha had left behind - he stubbed his toe on some foreign object, and cursed loudly.
 
"What a way to live," he grumbled out loud.
 
"Do you need a light," a familiar voice spoke, as the lights flickered on. Jim let out a startled yell, as he spotted a pink, cylindrical capsule floating near the light switch. "Oh my, did I startle you, Jim?"
 
"Just a little Gilliam," Jim answered, as his heartbeat slowed to its' normal pace. "I thought no one else was here."
 
"Only I am still home," Gilliam stated, floating over towards the boy. "The others have gone out for the night."
 
As Jim's eyesight finally adjusted to the light, he took a look around the studio apartment; the building that served as both a home for the crew of the Outlaw Star, as well as the office for their business. And, naturally, said crew left a mess for him to clean up. Jim sighed, and then looked down towards his feet.
 
"Aisha," he grumbled, spotting her weights on the ground. She left them inconveniently in the middle of the floor, and they were what Jim had stubbed his toe on. He knelt down to try to move them aside, and grunted in frustration.
 
"I wouldn't suggest you do that, Jim," Gilliam warned, watching as the boy continued struggling with the heavy weights.
 
"Well then what should I do," Jim snapped. "Leave them there, so I can stub my toe again?"
 
"Aisha is a Ctarl-Ctarl," Gilliam began. "And you are only a human. It's probably impossible for you to move them." Floating over to where the weights were, Gilliam's arms extended, and he easily picked them up from the ground. "I will move them."
 
"Uh…I'm sorry I yelled at you," Jim apologized sheepishly. "I didn't mean to." He paused, sighing as he ran a hand through his hair. "I guess they left it up to me to clean."
 
Gilliam paused in midair, and turned back around towards Jim. "Aisha made the mess, after Gene and Melfina left."
 
"Why am I not surprised," Jim stated, making a face. "I'll clean after I take a shower."
 
"It's alright, Jim. I'll take these to Aisha's room, and then I'll pick up around here."
 
"Oh, I can't let you-"
 
"I insist that you let me do it," Gilliam interrupted. "You deserve a break from all of your responsibilities. Besides, there's a message you can check on the computer. I think that it's a job offer."
 
"Thanks Gilliam," Jim stated, smiling slightly. "I'll take my shower first, and then take a look at the message. Hopefully, this job'll bring in enough to get us out of the red."
 
Jim turned, leaving the room and heading towards the bathroom. After a quick shower, he wrapped a towel around his waist, and dried his hair with another. Then, leaving the bathroom, he made his way over to the computer, sitting down in front of it. He accessed the mail unit, and the video message came onscreen.
 
"I already took a look at that, while you were sleeping. It's a job offer from Fred Luo, although the details are very sketchy."
 
Jim's face turned beet-red, as he already knew who was behind him before he even turned around. "Suzuka! I didn't realize you were home," Jim exclaimed. "I-I mean, Gilliam didn't tell me that you were here, and I would have gotten dressed, if I had known." He paused, throwing a glare in Gilliam's direction as he floated past with a duster in his hand.
 
"I just got in," Suzuka replied, a wry smile on her face. "Don't worry about it." She turned slightly, looking back at him over her shoulder. "Want some tea?"
 
"Sure," he stated, watching as she walked towards the kitchen. "Hey, what did Fred say?"
 
"Take a look at it yourself," her voice drifted out towards him. "He addressed it to you." Shrugging, Jim turned back towards the computer, and played the message.
 
"James, how good it would have been to talk with you…"
 
Jim sighed, rolling his eyes slightly. "Oh boy."
 
"…and I know you'll be the one to open this message, because I think you're the only one who lives there, that really cares whether your business is successful." On the video, Fred paused, pulling at his ear. "But I didn't call just to catch up on old times. There's a rumor floating around here, about some big bounty…"
 
"Here," Suzuka stated suddenly, startling Jim as she handed him a mug of tea. She looked towards the video, shaking her head. "As I said, he was pretty sketchy about details."
 
"Yeah, but at least he's letting us know about this, even if it is only a rumor for now." Jim paused, taking a sip of his tea. "We haven't had a job offer since we came back here to Sentinel." Suzuka shrugged, and as she walked over to the couch, Jim turned back to the video message.
 
"Seeing as how you and Gene owe me so much money, I thought to let you know about this possible job. I'm here in Heifong right now, so I hope you will come and see me, to get further details. I'll see what else I can find out." Fred leaned forward, propping an elbow on his desk and resting his chin on his knuckles. "Take care now, James. And keep Gene out of trouble."
 
Jim blinked as the screen turned to static and then went black. He leaned back in his chair, deep in thought. "Hmm," he mumbled. "Well, we'll just have to go and see Fred."
 
~ * ~ * ~ * ~
 
"Shit," Gene cursed, grasping his shoulder in pain, where he had gotten shot. He ducked back behind the truck he, Melfina, and Sasami hid behind, breathing hard.
 
"Oh no, Gene," Melfina stated, reaching out towards him.
 
"Don't worry about me, Mel! You and Sasami get out of here right now!"
 
"What's going on," Sasami asked, her voice full of fear. She held Ryo-oh-ki close, as the cabbit continued to hiss and growl. "Who are those guys, and why are they shooting at you?"
 
"They're the MacDougall brothers," Melfina answered, tearing off a piece of her cape, and wrapping it around Gene's bleeding arm.
 
"And what they want is a fight," Gene added, his teeth still gritted. He loaded a shell into his castor gun, and then looked at Sasami, giving her a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, I won't let anything happen to you."
 
"Gene-"
 
"They won't get you, Melfina," he interrupted. He glanced up, his gaze locking with hers. "I know that's what they want. I don't know how they survived, but they won't ever have you. Not while I'm still around."
 
Melfina's eyes filled with tears, as Gene gave her a reassuring smile as well. "Gene-"
 
"Gene!" The red-haired man cringed as the voice blasted suddenly into the communicator placed in his ear. Scowling slightly, he pressed a hand against the earpiece.
 
"Jim! Lower your voice, will ya," Gene spoke, growling slightly. "I'm not deaf, you know!"
 
"You'll never believe who I just heard from, with a possible job offer. This could get us way out of the red!"
 
"I don't really have time for this right now," Gene stated. "But I need you and the others to get over to Clyde's now! Who's there?"
 
"Just me and Suzuka." Jim's voice was broken up, as another explosion sounded through the air. "Whoa, Gene, what the hell was that?"
 
"Just move your ass, Jim," Gene replied. "And bring Suzuka with you." Snatching out the earpiece, he looked back to Melfina and Sasami. "Mel, when I fire on them, I want you and Sasami to make a break for it-" He trailed, looking to the side. "Go down that alley, and run as fast as you can."
 
"Alright," Melfina replied, placing a hand on Sasami's shoulder.
 
"But what about you, Gene," Sasami asked. Gene didn't answer her, however, and Harry's voice drifted towards their direction.
 
"Melfina, why are you hiding from me," he demanded, his voice wavering slightly. "I came back for you, Melfina. I told you I loved you. Why don't you understand!" Ignoring him, Melfina grasped Sasami's shoulder, beckoning for her to come along with her.
 
"Get ready to run," Gene instructed, his back pressed against the truck. Melfina stepped towards him, taking his hand in hers and squeezing it briefly before releasing it. She then turned on her heel and pulled Sasami towards her, making ready to run. Taking a deep breath, Gene readied his weapon, shouting, "Now!"
 
At the same moment Gene stepped away from his shield, pointing his gun at the MacDougalls, Melfina and Sasami made a dash towards the darkened alley. Noticing their movements, Harry turned to his brother.
 
"Ron!"
 
"Go and get her, Harry," he replied, his brother already set into motion before he said anything. Just as Gene's projectile neared him, Ron pulled out his own castor weapon, neutralizing the blast. Shaking his head, Ron slowly lowered the staff, as it pulsated with energy. "You didn't learn anything for our encounters, did Starwind?"
 
"Damn it," Gene cursed, watching from the corner of his eye as Harry chased after the girls, while he reloaded his weapon.
 
"Magic that is similar will repel against each other," Ron continued, calmly raising his staff. As he shot out the powerful magic, Gene quickly raised his gun, shooting a shell of his own. The two magic powers met, canceling each other out.
 
"So tell me, MacDougall," Gene stated casually, his gun resting at his side. "How did you survive the Leyline?"
 
An unreadable expression crossed Ron's face, as he frowned slightly and stared off into space. "A Goddess."
 
"Yeah," Gene scoffed. "Whatever." He raised his gun, quickly shooting out a castor shell. Ron's head snapped around, just as an explosion engulfed him. Once the dust cleared, Ron stood unscathed with a hand simply raised in the air. A light shield had protected him from the blast.
 
~ * ~ * ~ * ~
 
At the same time of the explosion, Melfina and Sasami stood in the alley, catching their breaths. Melfina looked up, a worried expression on her face. "Gene…"
 
"Don't worry about him, Melfina." The dark-haired woman screamed as the voice spoke near her ear, and she fell back as a hand touched her shoulder. Sasami screamed as well, as Harry stepped out from behind them, from the shadows.
 
"H-Harry," Melfina stuttered. "How did you get here so suddenly?"
 
"What does that matter, Melfina," he asked, stepping out into the light. "We'll be together again, like it should have always been."
 
"Leave her alone," Sasami yelled, moving forward to stand in between the two. As she did so, Harry pushed her away roughly, slamming her against the wall. Growling in anger, Ryo-oh-ki jumped from Sasami's arms, biting into Harry's arm.
 
He screamed, shaking his arm violently. "What the hell is this thing!"
 
"Let's get out of here, Melfina," Sasami exclaimed, helping the older woman stand. As the two began running away from the deranged man, she turned back slightly. "Come, Ryo-oh-ki!" Obediently, the cabbit released her hold on Harry's arm, scampering after the two women.
 
"It hurts," Harry screamed, kneeling on the ground as he cradled his injured arm. His vision blurred with his anger, as he stood back up, running after them. "I'll kill it! That animal and the girl are dead!"
 
"Run faster, Sasami," Melfina exclaimed urgently. The two pressed forward, returning to the sight the battle was taking place just in time to see Gene sprawl out across the ground. His gun flew from his hand, landing several feet away from him. "Gene!"
 
"Stay back, Melfina," he groaned, turning on his side and coughing up some blood.
 
Ron leveled his castor staff towards Gene, a sneer of victory spread across his face. "Die now, Gene Starwind!"
 
"Oh no, Gene," Melfina gasped in horror.
 
"No," Sasami screamed. Time seemed to slow, as Ron fired the projectile, and the castor magic made its' way towards Gene. Sasami ran forward, and an aura surrounded her as she stood in front of Gene, in between him and the blast.
 
"Sasami, move out of the way," Gene yelled. And yet, he was too weak to move, to get her out of harm's way.
 
He watched as a powerful wave of energy burst forth from Sasami, as a shield bearing three appendages formed around her to protect them both. She swept her arms in a circle and the appendages mimicked her movements as they rotated clockwise. Thrusting her hands forward as the castor magic struck the shield, the projectile bounced off harmlessly, returning to its' sender and striking him down.
 
Harry arrived in time, to see his brother fall unconscious to the ground. "Ron!" He ran past Sasami, nearly knocking her down. As he dropped to the ground, cradling Ron in his arms, he looked over at Sasami as she yelled out.
 
"Please, stop," she screamed. The shield, which she had produced, seemed to be out of control, as it began to crackle with energy and began to grow. "I can't control it! Please!" She was crying now, as energy continued to flow from her. Ryo-oh-ki growled, and then lunged towards Sasami, biting the girl on the hand. This action seemed to break the trance, as she gave a short scream and fell unconscious to the ground.
 
Harry's eyes widened, as he stared at the glowing symbol upon Sasami's forehead. He gently set his brother on the ground, and slowly stood up. "I've found you," he whispered in awe. "The Supreme Mother." He began to make his way towards the unconscious girl, when suddenly several beams of energy rained down from the sky. They impaled themselves into the ground, cutting off his path to Sasami.
 
"Stop right there, you bastard!"
 
Harry looked up into the sky, and saw a woman floating in the air. He watched as she floated down towards the earth, and as she landed, her golden eyes flashed angrily. Raw energy danced around her enclosed fist, and he took a cautious step back.
 
"Who the hell are you," he demanded.
 
Her eyes narrowed, and with a flick of her wrist, one of the energy beams floated into the air and sped towards him. It pierced through his shoulder, protruding through the other side, and he cried out in pain and shock. "If you plan on harming Sasami any further, believe me, you will know a pain much worse than that," she warned.
 
"You bitch," he screamed, as he grasped his throbbing shoulder. Anger flashed in her eyes, and his face clenched in fear as two more of the energy beams rose up into the air.
 
"That is enough! Return to me!" The voice carried in the wind, and as it passed over the group, Ron and Harry suddenly disappeared.
 
"Cowards," Ryoko sneered, as the remaining energy beams dissipated.
 
"How do you know Sasami?" Ryoko turned her head slightly, glancing over towards the dark-haired woman who had spoken. Rolling her eyes, she turned around, facing the man and woman before her.
 
"I don't have to answer any of your questions," she stated, catching Ryo-oh-ki as the cabbit jumped up towards her.
 
"The hell you don't," Gene exclaimed, standing up with Melfina's aid. "How do we know you don't intend on harming Sasami, any more than the MacDougalls' did?"
 
Ryoko allowed the cabbit to fall to the ground, as she jumped from her arms. "MacDougall, eh," she asked. Sighing as she put a hand to her hip, she narrowed her eyes slightly. "And to answer your question, I don't suppose you'd know. My intentions are my own!"
 
"Why you-"
 
"Gene!" The Outlaw Star's captain looked beyond Ryoko's shoulder, as he saw Jim and Suzuka running in their direction. However, his attention diverted back to Ryoko, as she knelt down to pick up Sasami.
 
"Hey-"
 
"Look," Ryoko interrupted his protest. "I don't owe you any kind of explanation, here. You're all just lucky nothing happened to Sasami. You don't know what kind of trouble you would've gotten yourself into."
 
"We were trying to help Sasami," Melfina protested. "We were trying to keep her safe!"
 
Ryoko narrowed her eyes, scowling in their direction. "Ryo-oh-ki!"
 
"Mreow," the cabbit murmured, jumping into the air as she morphed into the ship. As Gene and Melfina gasped in surprise, Jim and Suzuka finally arrived, and cautiously moved around Ryoko, towards their friends.
 
"Gene, what's going on," Jim asked, watching Ryoko warily. His brow shot up in surprise, as he glanced at the girl in her arms. Shaking his head slightly, he looked at his long-time companion. "Gene?"
 
"Quiet, Jim."
 
"Gene, was it," Ryoko asked, once again drawing his attention. "I don't know what happened, or why Sasami was involved, but you had better hope we never meet again." Casting a cold glare over the group, she hopped back, phasing away from them. Above them, Ryo-oh-ki spun around, before speeding off towards space. Together, the four gathered members of the Outlaw Star watched the horizon, as Ryoko's ship became a glowing sphere in the sky, before it finally disappeared.
 
"Would you mind telling us what's going on, Gene," Suzuka asked, an eyebrow raised in curiosity.
 
"The MacDougall's are back," he replied, continuing to stare at the empty space in the sky. "And something weird is going on. I intend to find out what."
 
 
To Be Continued. . .