Outlaw Star Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Of Princesses and Space Pirates ❯ Chapter 5: No Need for Bounty Hunters ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own the rights to any of the characters in this fanfic, nor do I claim them. The idea, however, is mine.
 
AN - A 'lil birdie told me that this story was beginning to collect dust, and I needed to get the ball rollin' once again! And the fact that I knew that fact goes to prove what a horrible authoress I've been lately. ^_^* So I apologize for allowing the dust to settle for so long. Without further delay, enjoy!
 
Of Princesses and Space Pirates
Chapter 5: No Need for Bounty Hunters
 
"What's everyone in such a bad mood about," Aisha asked loudly as she stretched lazily in her chair. When Gene, Jim, Melfina, and Suzuka boarded the Outlaw Star, Aisha had already been aboard, waiting for their return. Wordlessly, the crewmembers took their places, and Gene plotted a course for the Heifong system. The silence that had settled afterward unnerved Aisha, and she could no longer stand it. "Isn't anyone going to say anything at all?"
 
"There's nothing to say." The tone in Gene's voice caused Aisha to glance at him briefly, before she turned in her seat, and looked across towards Suzuka.
 
"Suzu, what did I miss," she asked. When she didn't get an answer, she frowned slightly. "Damn, something exciting happened and I missed it, didn't I? I knew I should have stuck around a little longer."
 
"You really are a useless animal," Gene mumbled to himself.
 
"What did you call me," Aisha screamed, her ears twitching slightly. "I heard that! I'm not an animal!"
 
"Oh, that's right," Gene began, leering in her direction. "You're just a stray cat that wandered in off the street."
 
Aisha's fur stood on end as she stood up angrily. "Why you-"
 
"We could have used your help earlier, Aisha," Melfina interrupted, trying to change the subject before a fight ensued. "The MacDougall brothers are back, and I guess they want revenge for what happened in the Leyline. Although…"
 
"Although, what," Aisha asked as Melfina trailed, her full attention on the woman now. "What were you going to say?"
 
Melfina sighed, as she tried to piece together her thoughts. "It's hard to explain, Aisha. You had to have been there, to understand. I'm sorry."
 
As Aisha began to whine slightly, Jim tuned out the noise of the background as his mind began to wander, and his thoughts turned towards a girl he hardly even knew. Melfina had mentioned that her name was Sasami, and the name seemed to fit her perfectly. As Jim sat in thought, he began to remember the first time he saw Sasami at the hot springs on Tenrei. He could remember the sound of her voice as she giggled at the strange creature that was with her. And he remembered the way she smiled at him, when he called out to her after she got off the passenger train at her stop.
 
A slow smile found its' way to Jim's face, however it faded as he remembered what happened on Sentinel not too long ago. He and Suzuka had arrived just as that strange woman was picking Sasami up, so he had not seen what happened to her. However, the pained look on Sasami's face was something he couldn't forget. Several questions raced through his mind, as he searched for answers. Who was that woman, and why did she take Sasami? He ran a hand through his hair in frustration, and it was then that he noticed Aisha standing next to him.
 
"What are you thinking so hard about, Jimmy," she asked, causing the boy to flush slightly.
 
"It's none of your business," he exclaimed, in a voice louder than he had meant to use. It didn't phase her any, however, as she just smiled.
 
"Are you sure about that, Jimmy," Aisha asked. Jim shook his head meekly, however his embarrassment only heightened as Gene cleared his throat.
 
"I bet I know what he's thinking about," Gene drawled. He smiled as Jim turned around to look at him. "Or should I say, who he's thinking about."
 
"Just be quiet Gene," Jim yelled, as his face flustered even more. Aisha blinked in confusion, as she looked from Jim to Gene, and back again.
 
"What are you two talking about," she demanded, scratching the back of her head.
 
"Gene," Gilliam stated suddenly. "Shouldn't we be requesting for docking permission right about now? We've reached Heifong."
 
"Saved by the ship," Gene grumbled, as he settled back down into his chair. "You got lucky, Jim."
 
"You do remember what happened last time, don't you Gene," Gilliam questioned. "It was almost a disaster."
 
"Yeah, yeah, stop nagging me," Gene exclaimed, as he waved his hand in a dismissive manner. "Besides, my landings have gotten a lot better since then."
 
"Thank goodness," Jim muttered under his breath.
 
"Did you say something, Jim," Gene asked in a teasing tone. "I didn't catch all that."
 
"Gene, I really think you should-"
 
"Alright already, Gilliam, just shut up," Gene interrupted, turning his attention away from the red-faced boy, and looking towards the monitor.
 
"I'll send for a connection, then, Gene." The red-haired man rolled his eyes slightly, and after a moment's silence, he heard a beep, which signaled the connection got through.
 
"This is Heifong Docking Control," a voice spoke, as a picture of a man appeared on the screen.
 
"This is the Outlaw Star, requesting docking permission," Gene stated. "What've you got for me?"
 
"How long do you intend on staying at the port," the man asked, a bored expression on his face.
 
"I can tell you really love your job," Gene stated sarcastically. The man just stared at him blankly, and Gene swallowed noisily. "Uh, a day's time, at most." The man disappeared off-screen, and a map with different docks appeared where he had once been. One of the ports began to flash, and the man spoke once again.
 
"Port Five is available for docking," he spoke. "Permission granted. You have usage of the port until 6pm. It's a 1,000 wong fee for every hour you stay after that."
 
"Yeah, thanks," Gene stated, closing the link. "Alright, Gilliam, let's set her down."
 
After the Outlaw Star had been docked successfully, her crew took the sidewalk escalator, which led to the busy streets of Hugo. Gene waved down a taxi, and as they began to pile inside, Melfina looked over towards Suzuka, who stood unmoving on the sidewalk.
 
"Aren't you coming along, Suzuka?"
 
"I think I'll stay with the ship," she answered. "I have no desire to see Fred Luo."
 
"You're on your own, Suzu," Aisha exclaimed. "It must be something big, if we're going to go see Fred. And this Ctarl-ctarl isn't going to miss out on anything else exciting!"
 
"Do what you want," Suzuka replied. "Just stop calling me that."
 
"This won't take very long, so don't disappear on us, or you'll get left behind," Gene stated as the taxi began to roll forward. Suzuka simply nodded, and as the taxi merged into traffic, she watched until it disappeared from sight.
 
~ * ~ * ~ * ~
 
"Mihoshi, you're laying on the controls! Wake up!" The blonde woman quickly sat upright, however it became apparent to her partner, that she was still asleep.
 
"Give me just five more minutes, Kiyone," Mihoshi replied sleepily, succumbing back into unconsciousness. Sighing in frustration, Kiyone violently shook the woman by her shoulder.
 
"Get up now, Mihoshi," she yelled. "We've got a job to do, or did you forget it already?" Her statement seemed to rouse her from sleep, as the blonde slowly opened her eyes.
 
"Are we there yet," Mihoshi asked, yawning loudly and rubbing the sleep from her eyes.
 
"Yeah, but no thanks to you," Kiyone snapped. "You were supposed to stay awake, to help me navigate to the transit station. But you were already asleep before we had even left Earth's solar system! You were totally useless!"
 
"I'm sorry," she apologized, as she became somewhat alert. "But I can't stay awake on long trips, you know that."
 
"You're an officer of the Galaxy Police," Kiyone exclaimed. "Show some restraint, Mihoshi!" As she fumed silently, she heard as Mihoshi began typing at her console. "What are you doing now," she demanded, almost afraid of the answer she might receive.
 
"I know we're not on official business, but we have very precious cargo onboard to protect." Kiyone's jaw dropped slightly, as she gawked at her partner. In a moment of rare wisdom, Mihoshi was actually right about something.
 
"Mihoshi," she trailed. A small smile appeared on the blonde's face, as the other woman looked at her. "I couldn't have put it better myself."
 
"Right," she exclaimed, smiling as well. "We've never been out this far, and there's no telling what kind of monsters or creatures are out here." Her face grew pale, as she thought about what she just said. "You don't think monsters will attack us, do you? Ooh, that would be bad!"
 
Kiyone's smile melted into a stupefied look, as she shook her head. "I spoke too soon."
 
"Kiyone, Mihoshi?" The two women turned towards the sound of the voice, and watched as a familiar figure stepped towards them.
 
"Princess Ayeka," Kiyone exclaimed. "Should you be up? You still don't look too well."
 
"No, she shouldn't be up." A figure stepped out behind Ayeka, resting a hand on her shoulder.
 
"Tenchi," Kiyone began. "Ayeka should still be resting."
 
The dark-haired boy smiled apologetically, and scratched the back of his head. "I know. She slipped away while I was getting something to eat for her."
 
"Don't blame Lord Tenchi, Ms. Kiyone," Ayeka protested. "I got out of bed because I'm feeling much better. I… I want to help you find Sasami, and I can't do that if I'm bedridden."
 
"Ayeka-"
 
"I really feel much better, Lord Tenchi," she interrupted. "Please, don't worry about me." Clasping her hands together in front of her, Ayeka stepped into the room fully. "How close are we to our destination?"
 
"Let's see," Kiyone trailed, glancing at the navigation map. "We should reach the transit station in no more than half a day's time. It's the last known location where Sasami was believed to have been spotted, according to our sources."
 
"I see," Ayeka stated, a disappointed look appearing on her face. "I only wish that Ms. Washu had agreed to come along with us. Why did she refuse to help?"
 
"Maybe it's because you chased her only daughter away," Mihoshi offered. A shocked look appeared on Ayeka's face, as she bowed her head slightly.
 
"Mihoshi!"
 
"Don't scold her, Kiyone," Tenchi stated, taking everyone by surprise. "I'm more to blame than Ayeka, but we're both at fault. We're the ones that caused Ryoko to run."
 
"But why did she take Sasami with her," Ayeka demanded, her eyes becoming damp. "She had no right!"
 
"We don't know that Ryoko took Sasami," Tenchi began, shaking his head slightly. "And it's not fair to accuse her of that. False accusations are what started this whole mess in the first place."
 
"Y-you're right, Lord Tenchi. I apologize."
 
"I think the best thing right now is for everyone to get a few hour's rest," Kiyone suggested. "Things will only become more difficult from this point, and we all need to be alert."
 
"You'll let me know when we're about to land," Ayeka asked.
 
"Of course." Reluctantly, Ayeka agreed to rest and allowed Tenchi to lead her out from the room. Kiyone watched their retreating figures, and then let out a sigh. "Things will most definitely be more difficult," she thought inwardly. "Because now it's a race against the clock."
 
~ * ~ * ~ * ~
 
Gene, Jim, Melfina, and Aisha stepped inside Fred Luo's business building, and began to make their way towards his office. Not much had been said on the trip over, as a sense of uncertainty hung over their heads. As they continued down the long stretch of hallway, the double-doors, which led to Fred's office, came into view. They were closed, as if some sort of meeting were already going on, and Fred's two bodyguards were nowhere to be seen.
 
"Hey, what gives," Gene demanded. "I thought Fred was expecting us?" Just then, the double-doors swung open, and Fred's bodyguards walked out of the room. Three figures followed behind the two men, and finally, Fred himself, made an appearance.
 
"Thank you for your business. I look forward to future prospects with you." The woman whom he was speaking to stopped, and the two hooded figures that accompanied her stopped as well.
 
"I hope my wares are beneficial to you, Mr. Luo," the woman replied, an almost mischievous smile appearing on her face.
 
"I'm sure they will be, for my next client," Fred stated, noticing for the first time the crew of the Outlaw Star had arrived. "Speaking of whom… Gene! I'm glad you could make it."
 
The woman turned her attention towards Gene, raising an eyebrow. She placed a hand underneath her chin, as she looked him over. "He's the one that will go after the bounty," she asked.
 
"Hey, we're Outlaws, lady, not bounty hunters" Gene stated. "Though we do run a profitable business, Starwind and Hawking Enterprises. Ever heard of us?"
 
"Not from where I come from," she replied. "But I'm sure we'll be in contact again sometime in the near future."
 
A flirtatious smile appeared on Gene's face, as he looked at the woman. "I hope so." He watched as one of the hooded figures leaned over to the woman, whispering something to her. She nodded her head, and then turned back to Fred.
 
"I'd hate to keep you from your business, Mr. Luo," she began. "I'll take my leave now." That said, she and her entourage turned, walking past Gene and the others.
 
"If I didn't know any better," Gene began, watching as she walked away, "I'd think she was flirting with you, Fred."
 
"Don't be ridiculous," Fred replied, brushing off his statement. "Please, step into my office."
 
"No hugs today," Gene asked, as he and the others followed the man into his office. "Fred, I'm hurt!"
 
"I'm a business man, Gene," Fred stated, taking a seat behind his desk and motioning for the others to sit across from him. "Besides, there will be time for that later." He smiled, as Gene paled visibly.
 
"So what's this about a bounty," Jim asked, trying to change the subject. "Is that what you called us here for?"
 
"That's exactly right, James."
 
"A bounty, Fred?" Gene shook his head, standing from his seat. "We don't have time for this, let's get out of here."
 
"Shouldn't we at least hear him out, Gene," Melfina asked. "We came all this way."
 
"No, Mel," Gene replied, as he headed towards the door. "We need a real job, that will pay-"
 
"Would 15 billion wong change your mind, Gene," Fred interrupted. He watched as Gene stopped at the door, and smiled as he looked back over his shoulder.
 
"Fifteen?"
 
"I'm willing to give you the details, if you're interested."
 
"Okay." Gene walked back to his chair, taking his seat. "I'll listen, Fred, but I hope you're not wasting our time."
 
"Oh, it's legit," Fred replied. "The bounty was warranted by a very powerful family." When he didn't hear any other objections, Fred smiled and began going over the details of the job.
 
~ * ~ * ~ * ~
 
Ryoko sat in an atmosphere much like the one at the bar on Sentinel. A dozen empty shot glasses were turned upside-down in front of her, and as she downed another shot, she discarded it in the same manner as the others. Bloodshot eyes took in her surroundings, however she was discerningly alert and aware of what went on around her. Letting out a slow sigh, she rapped the top of the bar counter.
 
"You want another," the barkeeper asked, as he dried a glass. "I think you've had enough to drink."
 
"I'm the one paying, so give me another damn drink," she stated angrily, her voice slightly slurred. The barkeeper just shrugged his shoulders as he placed another shot glass down in front of her, and filled it to the brim. "That's better." She picked the glass up, drinking just enough of the liquor so that it wouldn't spill over the sides of the glass.
 
The barkeeper watched her with a raised eyebrow, before he spoke. "So, what are you trying to escape from?" Golden eyes flashed in annoyance, as Ryoko set down her glass and traced a finger along the rim absently.
 
"I'm not trying to escape anything," she murmured. "I'm just trying to think." She paused, glancing up and staring deep into the man's eyes. "Have you ever seen something, that you wish you hadn't?"
 
"Working in a place like this," he asked, gesturing with a wave of his arm. "I've seen more than my share of crazy things." As more patrons approached the counter, the barkeeper turned his attention towards them, leaving Ryoko to her thoughts.
 
As she sat there, her mind wandered back to what it was she had seen, that had deeply disturbed her. Picking up her shot again, she held the glass up to her lips. "There's no doubt about what happened to you, Sasami," she stated softly to herself, before downing the contents of the glass. As the liquid burned its' way down her throat, her realization came full-circle. "You summoned the Lighthawk wings." Standing sluggishly, Ryoko threw down payment for her tab, and stumbled towards the door.
 
"Hey." As she walked past a table, the dark-haired stranger had spoken to her. She stopped, turning towards him slightly. "Hey, are you the one known as Ryoko?"
 
"What's it to you," she retorted, putting a hand to her hip. The man looked up and his gaze pierced hers, as dark orbs locked with her glassy, golden oculars.
 
"If you are Ryoko, I think you should have a seat." He motioned towards the empty seat across from him, and picked up his shot glass. "Have a drink with me."
 
Ryoko raised an eyebrow at the commands he gave her, however her curiosity got the best of her and she slowly sat down across from him.
 
 
To Be Continued. . .