Outlaw Star Fan Fiction ❯ Outlaw Star The Flower of Fate ❯ Chapter 1: Miracle of Destiny ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fate. Destiny. Some believe that the past, present, and future are all set in stone and cannot be changed, for better or for worse, no matter how hard one wishes. Others believe that the future is full of infinite possible outcomes, and that one’s fate is far from predetermined. Which of these explanations is the real answer? Is there truth to be found in both of them, or is the answer something else entirely? The concept has inspired countless theories, with every individual coming to his or her own conclusions. Nonetheless, one simple question remains unanswered. A question that has existed since the first sentient life form came to be, an answer to which has yet to be given and proven to be absolute, with no room for doubt. Is fate real or not?

(Outlaw Star The Flower of Fate)

The lights inside the ship had stopped working. Hanmyo knew that her ship, the Torata, was about to explode. There was a good chance that with all of the attacks her ship had suffered, Hanmyo might have also been hurt badly, but even if she had been, it wasn’t going to matter. Soon she would be dead, just like her feline companions, Kemi and Matta, who had been the ones controlling the grappler arms of their ship. Hanmyo began to wish that she had ordered her cats to return to the ship so that they could pull back, but immediately she pushed that thought aside. Even if they had successfully escaped, Hazanko would have had them executed for giving up on their mission and thus shaming the rest of the Anten Seven. Hazanko had been angry at Shimi and Iraga for failing to accomplish their objectives, but at least they had died while trying to carry out their assignments.

“A dead ship. The Torata won’t respond. Kemi…Matta…” said Hanmyo quietly.

Chapter 1: Miracle of Destiny

Tears began to stream down Hanmyo’s face from under her control helmet. Internally, the young pilot was apologizing to those she considered close, her cats and Jim, the first boy she ever had feelings for, perhaps even loved. “Kemi…Matta…I’m so sorry I couldn’t save you two. Jim…please don’t feel sad when I’m not there tomorrow. Let me be the only one hurting, so that I can take that hurt with me.”

In her mindscape, she sighed deeply. “You’re so nice and honest, and you try so hard at everything. Jim, you were the first boy…no, the first person to show me true kindness that I can recall, and you barely knew me. Someone like you deserves far better than a pirate like me.”

Back outside of her mind, Hanmyo glanced at the flowers Jim had given her earlier through her helmet. The bouquet was tucked inside her shirt, resting right in front of her heart. With a sad smile on her face, Hanmyo closed her eyes and silently gave one last farewell to Kemi, Matta, and Jim.

Suddenly, time seemed to come to a standstill. Two orbs of light, one green and the other blue, appeared between the Torata and the Outlaw Star. The lights, completely invisible to both ships raced towards the Torata, one towards each side. They phased through the walls, entered the cockpit, and came to a halt right in front of Hanmyo. The two orbs seemed to turn towards one another, as if to share a knowing nod, before turning back towards Hanmyo and entering her body. The cockpit was filled with a bright light, followed by time beginning to move once more. The Torata gave off a spark of electricity before it exploded a few seconds later, but there was no longer anyone inside to disappear with it.

(Scene change)

Jim had been unable to hide his happiness when Gene announced with a sigh that they would have to return once again to Symka 5 for repairs. The repairman at the hanger hadn’t been too pleased that all of his hard work had been undone so quickly, but given the fact that it wasn’t often that he got to work on a grappler ship, and that Jim was a good negotiator, the two worked out an agreement. If the entire crew helped him out with his work around the space station’s various docks and hangars for the remainder of the evening, the repairman would start fixing the ship the next day while the crew slept, all while charging them the same amount as last time. So for the next few hours, everyone did their own tasks. Gene helped out with fixing ships in the repair hangar, while Aisha carried cargo onto and off of docked spaceships. Suzuka alternately supervised the two, making sure they didn’t slack off or get into any trouble. As for Jim and Melfina, they were in the office, with Jim helping out with all of the financial records while Melfina helped search for and provide Jim with particular files that needed attention. But both Melfina and the repairman were shocked with Jim’s behavior. He was so excited about his date that would take place the following day that he plowed through the mountain of paperwork like it was nothing. Jim was so into his work, in fact, that the only possible way to have gotten his attention away from it would have been nothing short of finding Aisha and having her scream in his ear.

Before anyone knew it, it was already four in the morning. The repairman told everyone that they had done plenty and could just go to bed, while he would start working on the ship around noon. While everyone else conked out immediately upon going to bed, Jim’s excitement about seeing Hanmyo the next day prevented him from successfully falling asleep. After lying wide awake in bed for a couple of hours, Jim finally decided to just get up and take a walk again. Determined not to wake anyone, the boy genius snuck off the ship, managing to slip past even Gilliam.

(Scene change)

Jim would have gone straight to the elevator that would have taken him to the main part of the space station, had he not begun floating around in zero-gravity the moment he opened the hatch. Realizing that their ship was in the middle of the repair hangar instead of docked outside, Jim looked around before seeing the repairman. Upon realizing that the blond kid had spotted him and was floating his way, the middle age man sighed in exasperation.

“I thought I asked your ship’s computer to make it so that you wouldn’t be able to hear any of the noise,” the repairman grumbled, adding to Jim’s confusion.

“What do you mean? And weren’t you going to wait until noon to get started?” Jim asked, completely puzzled.

“That was BEFORE I took a closer look at all of the paperwork you did for me,” the repairman responded. “Kid, do you have any idea as to the amount of work you actually finished for me?”

“I…wasn’t really keeping track,” Jim answered embarrassingly.

“Well then…” the repairman began. “To put it one way, I haven’t taken a single day off from work in several years, but thanks to you, I’ll be able to enjoy at least three weeks of vacation, starting the day after tomorrow! What I’m doing right now is simply a gesture of pure gratitude, nothing else.”

“Gee, I don’t know what to say…” replied Jim, doing his best to hide the pride in his voice.

“How about telling me what you’re doing out here?” responded the repairman in a serious tone. “You look like you haven’t slept a wink in ages, and yet you’re still up and about.”

“Couldn’t sleep,” replied Jim. “I’ve got something going on later today, and I can’t stop thinking about it. I figured that maybe if I took a short walk or something, I might calm down a little.”

“Well, all I can say is I hope you’re able to fall asleep after your walk, cause there’s no point in doing whatever you have planned later if you can’t stay awake through it,” said the repairman.

“Me, too,” Jim agreed. “And once again, thanks!”

(Scene change)

Five minutes later, Jim got off the elevator and started to walk around the station again. Soon after beginning his stroll, however, Jim found himself inexplicably drawn towards the park where he met Hanmyo. Upon arriving, he noticed that the entrance gate to the park was strangely wide open. Curious, he went in to investigate. With sunrise still more than an hour away, all the lampposts in the park were still lit. Upon reaching the fountain, Jim noticed someone slumped alongside the edge of it out of the corner of his eye. A nearby lamppost illuminated the person’s bruised face and damaged clothes, just enough for Jim to recognize who it was. Immediately turning deathly pale, Jim panicked and cried out, “HANMYO!!!”

(Scene change)

To say that Gene was not amused when he heard Jim’s voice yelling out of his earring (he had forgotten to take it out in his exhaustion) would be a gross understatement. After receiving the rude wake-up call and noticing the time, Gene’s frown grew even larger.

“Jim, do you have any idea what time it is? And why are you calling me like this?” Gene growled.

“No time to explain! Just call an ambulance and have them come to the park right away!” Jim replied.

“Are you sure you didn’t just have a nightmare? You’ve been working way too hard lately.”

“I’m serious, Gene! Someone’s life could be at stake here, dammit! Get help RIGHT NOW!!!”

After that, Jim cut the connection. Still skeptical and half asleep, Gene grudgingly rolled out of bed and stumbled towards Jim’s room to give him a piece of his mind. Upon seeing an empty bed, however, Gene snapped out of his stupor, ran back to his room to get dressed, and stormed out of the ship, knocking one of Gilliam’s robots into the wall along the way.

“Why did Gene hit me this time?” moaned Gilliam.

(Scene change)

After jumping straight into zero G when he wasn’t expecting to and angrily floating around for the next few minutes, Gene successfully made it outside. Almost immediately, he saw the park nearby and ran over there. “What’s that idiot doing outside right now anyway? And why the hell is the park even open at this hour?”

Seeing Jim kneeling on the ground near the fountain, Gene marched up to the little genius and got straight to business.

“What the hell are doing here, Jim? Do you have any clue what time it is?” Gene snapped.

“Gene, you moron! Where’s the ambulance?” Jim yelled.

“What’d you just call me, you little pipsqueak?” retorted Gene, not really listening.

Because they were too busy arguing, the two didn’t notice at all when Hanmyo very slowly began to regain consciousness. Her eyes opening at a snail’s pace, Hanmyo could vaguely see the silhouettes of two people standing in front of her. She could hear their voices, but couldn’t fully make out what they were saying. Her vision gradually improving, Hanmyo noticed that one of them was a young boy with a shock of dirty blond hair whom she quickly recognized.

‘Jim…What are you doing here?’ Hanmyo thought. ‘What AM I doing here, wherever HERE is? And…who is that with him?’ Seeing a man with red hair, she took in more of his features until…

‘Gene Starwind?!?’ Hanmyo internally gasped, recognizing him based on the description Hazanko had given the Anten Seven. ‘Why is he here, talking with Jim? Do they know each other? No, that’s impossible…isn’t it?’ Shock and realization hit Hanmyo like an asteroid, her eyes now completely open in disbelief at her sudden discovery. ‘They’re…friends? No…no! No! No! NO, IT CAN’T BE!!!’

As quickly as she had come to, Hanmyo fell unconscious once more. However, her body had begun to lean to the side and she fell, her head hitting the pavement. The sound of movement got the attention of Jim and Gene, which promptly lead them to cease their bickering. Upon realizing that Hanmyo was now lying on the ground, Jim panicked and raced to her side, fearing the worst.

“Hanmyo!?” Jim cried. Cautiously, but nervously, he straightened Hanmyo up back into a sitting position, then while kneeling on the ground, had her lean forward so that she was on his back. Standing up, Jim ran towards the park entrance, looking around for signs for a hospital. Or rather, he tried to run, but Jim wasn’t as strong physically as he would have liked, so he trudged towards the gate more than anything.

All this time, Gene had been watching Jim with an emotionless expression on his face. Noticing his lack of progress, Gene scowled and marched over to Jim before proceeding to lift Hanmyo off his back and placing her on his own.

“I saw earlier that the hospital is this way, and it isn’t too far, so come on!” Gene said before racing off, preventing Jim from complaining before the thought had even occurred to him. Jim immediately dashed after the redhead, just barely able to keep up. A minute later, Gene could no longer hold back on the question that had been driving him crazy.

“Jim, who is this kid and how the hell do you know her?” he asked the blond.

“Her name is Hanmyo, and she’s an important friend to me, alright?” Jim answered back.

“An important friend?” Gene questioned, but then immediately put the pieces together. “OH!!! I get it! She’s the date you had earlier! So what were you two doing out here so late? Did you rough her up too much or something?” he teased. Even in times of stress, Gene’s wit never abandons him.

“Would it kill you to keep your head out of the gutter for more than five minutes? I would NEVER do something like that to an angel like Hanmyo, you lech!” Jim retorted. He realized a moment too late, unfortunately, that he had made an unnecessary comment, giving Gene plenty of ammo.

“An angel, is she?” Gene laughed. “Even I wasn’t this much of a lady killer when I was your age!”

“Gene Starwind, now is NOT the time for this!” Jim yelled.

“Can you please stop freaking out? At this rate, you’ll go bald before we reach the hospital, which may I add happens to be just one more block away!” Gene criticized.

“Wait, what?” Jim said before looking up and seeing a giant building with a red cross on it in plain sight, causing him to blush in embarrassment at not having noticed sooner.

(Outlaw Star The Flower of Fate)

Gene and Jim crashed right through the hospital’s front doors, startling all of the staff members who were in the foyer. It wasn’t even 7 o’clock yet, so could anyone blame them?

“Um…excuse me,” one of the nurses asked shyly. “But can we help you with something?”

Gene looked at the nurse before beginning his explanation. “Yeah, my buddy here and I found this girl in the park, and she looks pretty hurt. I’m not sure how serious it is, but could you look her over?”

“Y-Yes, of course!” the nurse answered immediately, calling over her colleagues to take the girl off of Gene’s back and place her onto a stretcher and take her away. A few seconds later, Gene addressed Jim directly for the first time since they arrived.

“Hey, Jim? Don’t you think you should inform Hanmyo’s family about all of this?” Gene remarked.

“I can’t,” Jim said sadly. “In fact, I don’t know if she even has a family. We never really talked much about our personal backgrounds.”

“Then what the hell did you two do together all afternoon?” Gene asked.

“Just…stuff…” Jim muttered embarrassingly, not wanting to admit to acting like a little kid and just running around and playing.

“What kind of stuff?” Gene teased.

“None of your damn business!” Jim said even more softly, now with his eyes shut, unable to look Gene in the face.

“Alright! Alright!” Gene threw his hands up in mock defeat before getting serious. “But do you know anything about her? Anything at all?”

Jim opened his eyes half way before answering sadly, “Not much, just that she was here alone on Symka 5 while passing through on a trip with her two cats. Speaking of which, I need to ask Hanmyo what happened to them, since they weren’t with her when we found her.”

“Alone, huh?” Gene sighed. “What is it with kids trying so hard to act like adults?”

“And what’s that supposed to mean?” Jim asked angrily.

“That other than sharing a habit of trying to act like grown-ups when neither of you are one, I honestly don’t see anything you two could possibly share in common,” Gene answered indifferently. Before Jim could talk back, Gene went on. “This isn’t like you at all Jim. You haven’t known her for one whole day, and you know even less about her than you should, given that amount of time. So why is she so damn important to you?”

“You just don’t get it!” Jim responded furiously. He then whispered the next part, though Gene heard him anyway. “I should have known that someone like you couldn’t possibly understand how I feel.”

Normally, Gene would have been enraged by that last remark and would have started fighting with Jim, but he didn’t for two reasons. First of all, they were in a hospital, so that would be a really bad idea. Secondly, Gene noticed something odd about Jim’s voice when he made that last comment. It wasn’t an angry retort or even a resigned acceptance, both of which were common to hear from Jim when it came to Gene’s antics. It sounded depressed, something Gene couldn’t recall Jim ever being.

Before Gene could do anything about it, however, one of the nurses from earlier had returned. “I’m sorry to bother you,” the nurse said politely. “But we need both of you to answer some questions concerning the girl you brought in.”

“Uh, okay,” replied Gene hesitantly.

(Scene change)

“Just to make sure I understand all of this,” the head doctor questioned Jim and Gene, who were sitting in her office, a while later. Pointing at Jim, she continued, “You met her in the park yesterday morning.” To this, Jim nodded. “You then got together and spent the afternoon with her before parting ways at around sunset. And at any point yesterday did she display signs that she was hurt in some way?”

“No, not at all,” Jim answered.

“Then about an hour and a half ago, you went for a walk because you had trouble sleeping and thought it would help you relax. You noticed that the park gate was open and you went to check it out. It was then that you found your friend Hanmyo lying on the ground,” the doctor added.

“Yep. Then I contacted Gene, and together we brought Hanmyo here,” Jim said, confirming their story.

The doctor closed her eyes and let out a sigh before looking at Jim and smiling kindly. “Well, Jim, I think that they should be almost done checking Hanmyo over, so you should be able to see her soon. She’s still unconscious, but she should probably wake up soon. Why don’t you go see her right now?”

“Okey-dokey, then! Thank you!” Jim said cheerfully, already out of his seat and on his way out the door. Gene was about to stand up as well, but the doctor stopped him.

“Actually, Mr. Starwind,” the doctor began. “There’s something I need to discuss with you.”

“Is this about paying for everything? Because if that’s it, then…” Gene stated, sick of having to worry about money so much lately.

“No, Mr. Starwind. There wasn’t much to do, so we won’t charge you a whole lot,” the doctor reassured him. “However, about Hanmyo’s injuries…”

“Yeah? What about them?” Gene asked.

“On the surface, the bruises on her face and scratches on her body appear to be fresh, along with a broken rib. I can’t say for certain, but it appears as if Hanmyo had been roughly thrown around at a high speed. And yet, even before we began to take X-rays, it was clear that she was almost fully healed,” the doctor explained.

“What do you mean, almost fully healed?” Gene asked, completely shocked. “Is that even possible?”

“If I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes, I would feel the same way,” said the doctor. “But right in front of me, the bruises were gradually, but clearly fading. And once we began taking the X-rays, we took several, and with each shot, the rib appeared to be constantly improving. In short, Hanmyo’s body is healing at an unnaturally fast rate, the equivalent of several weeks worth of recovery in one night.”

“Are you serious?” Gene responded.

“I don’t joke about these sorts of things, Mr. Starwind,” the doctor coolly answered. “I would be a liar if I said this was actually a bad thing, but given how bizarre this is, I was hoping you would be able to shed a little light on this mystery.”

“I’m afraid not,” Gene sighed. “Jim’s the one who knows her, not me. And even he has only known her for one day.”

(Scene change)

Jim had finally found out where Hanmyo’s room was, and upon entering, found her fast asleep on a hospital bed. The purple-haired girl looked so peaceful while sleeping, Jim was satisfied with just pulling up a chair and sitting next to her bed, watching over her with a soft smile on his face.

“Hanmyo, I’m so glad you’re alright,” Jim said quietly, hoping Hanmyo could hear him, even in her unconscious state. “I don’t know why you were there in the park or how you got so badly hurt in the first place, but from here on out, I promise to protect you with everything I’ve got, because I know you’d do the same for me.”

“Jim, thank you,” a strained voice muttered, just loud enough for Jim to hear.

“Hanmyo?” Jim asked, attempting and failing to hide his excitement. He watched as Hanmyo slowly opened her eyes half-way and started to sit upright. “How are you feeling now?” Hanmyo glanced in his direction, her eyes still not fully open.

“Alright, I guess…” she began. Hanmyo squinted her eyes even closer, thinking hard, before donning an utterly perplexed and slightly pained expression.

“What’s the matter, Hanmyo?” said Jim worriedly.

“Jim, something’s wrong!” Hanmyo gasped. “My memory, it’s gone!”

(Scene change)

“So…all you can remember is our meeting and the afternoon we spent together?” Jim asked Hanmyo a few minutes later. He was now sitting next to her on the bed, hoping to help her in any way he could.

“Uh huh,” Hanmyo confirmed, her face solemn. “And oddly enough, I can remember those things perfectly. Every single detail, from the sound of the fountain when I first saw you to me leaping into the air when you gave me those flowers.”

“I see. I’m sorry, Hanmyo,” Jim said, holding his head sadly.

“Cheer up, Jim!” Hanmyo said cheerfully, causing Jim to look at her in confusion. “They’re good memories, so you have no reason to apologize!” she explained.

“Yeah, I guess if you could only remember one thing, you’d want it to be a good memory, right?” Jim replied, feeling a little better.

“Yep!” Hanmyo agreed happily. “Though…” her expression became serious once more.

“Yeah, Hanmyo?” Jim asked curiously.

“There is something else,” she began. “I don’t know whether or not to call it a memory, but I have this overwhelming feeling inside of me.” Hanmyo closed her eyes tightly, holding her hand over her heart. “It’s like something between sadness and regret. It keeps telling me that Kemi and Matta, that they’re…gone. And that…I should be, too. I have no proof to back this up, but deep down I know that it’s true.” At this point, her eyes opened back up and tears began to form.

“Hanmyo…” said Jim quietly, unsure of what to say or how to respond. All he knew is he couldn’t stand to see Hanmyo cry. Instinctively, he rested his hand on her back and rubbed up and down gently, hoping to cheer her up, at least a little. Mere seconds later, Hanmyo turned to face Jim with a look of joy and gratitude gracing her features, with no trace of tears at all.

“You’re so sweet, Jim. Thank you,” Hanmyo said.

“But I didn’t even say or do anything worth mentioning just now. How did I help?” Jim asked, confused. To this, Hanmyo responded with a light chuckle.

“Yes you did, silly!” Hanmyo said in a cheerful tone. “You were sitting with me and trying to find a way to make me happy! That’s more than plenty!” At this, she shook her head in a reassuring manner. “Not only that, you’ve been doing all that and more this entire time! I can’t think of a good way to thank you enough!”

“Then how about you come with us?” Jim turned to see Gene standing in the doorway.

“How long have you been there?” Jim asked, afraid of what Gene might have heard.

“Doesn’t matter,” Gene responded nonchalantly. “The point is that if Hanmyo came along, you’d not only be happy, but you’d finally have someone your own age to annoy instead of us! It’ll be a nice change of pace, seeing you act like a child for once in your life!”

“Gene, could you please not say things like that right now?” Jim asked the laughing red-head miserably.

“Seriously, Jim, can’t you take a joke for once?” Gene calmed down. “Look, the hospital is ready to dismiss your friend here any time, the Outlaw Star has one more spare bedroom, and according to our ship’s blueprints, Jim’s chair can be separated into two without that much trouble. So all that’s left is your answer. What do say, Hanmyo? Do you want to come?”

Hanmyo was speechless, but quickly shook her head before jumping off the bed in a fit of joy. “I’d love to! Thank you, thank you!” Hanmyo cheered before pulling Jim off the bed and spinning around with him. “Jim, we get to travel together! Yippee!” Jim smiled bashfully along with her, but his mood was instantly killed when Hanmyo asked, “But shouldn’t we tell the doctor about my memory?”

Jim panicked, considering the extra money it would cost to pay the hospital, along with the additional docking fees during Hanmyo’s stay, but luckily, Gene thought of a cover-up.

“Don’t worry, Hanmyo!” Gene attempted to reassure her. “We already have another crew member who has amnesia, and I doubt she’d mind having someone to relate to. Besides, after what the good doctor has done for us, it wouldn’t be nice to trouble her anymore, right?” Gene said all this while occasionally throwing in fits of forced laughter, but apparently it was enough to convince Hanmyo.

“Um, okay,” Hanmyo said plainly. Jim sighed with relief, but Hanmyo noticed this. “Is something wrong, Jim?”

“Oh, it’s nothing!” Jim said quickly. “Besides, you and I get to be together from now on, and that’s all that matters!”

To this, Hanmyo couldn’t help but smile and hugged Jim in response. “I told you our meeting was fate,” she said quietly enough so that only a blood-red faced Jim could hear, while in the background Gene just looked on and laughed.

(To be continued)

Preview:

Jim sure looks so happy now that Hanmyo is a part of the crew. I’m glad. Gene also doesn’t seem to mind that much, and Aisha and Gilliam appear to have taken a liking to her already! I don’t know about Suzuka though, but I’m sure that she’ll warm up to Hanmyo soon. As for myself, I think she’s really sweet. Jim’s made such a good friend. Still, I just wish that he would relax and take a break for once. He’s been working so hard lately, and he’s been looking a little ill. I’m getting worried.

Next time on Outlaw Star The Flower of Fate: The Genius Short-circuits. You better get ready! ...Did I do alright, Gene?