Pet Shop Of Horrors Fan Fiction ❯ A Birthday To Remember ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: While I wish I owned these characters or the series, I regretfully say that I don't. The following story is in response to a challenge.

~~*~*~~

A Birthday to Remember

By DBZ Vegeta

~~*~*~~

Chapter 1

"Dammit Leon, why can't you cover for me this weekend?" Jill cried as Leon swung his coat over his shoulder, dangling it from one finger.

"You know that I won't so stop asking." he replied, his back to her. The tense line of his shoulders indicating his mood.

"But Leon, I have a date and Chief said if you would cover I could get off." she said dejectedly, her shoulders slumped.

"Sorry, but I have plans this weekend." Leon said as he quietly left the room, his heels making soft clicking noises that faded away as he strode down the hallway.

Jill turned away, only to jump back as she bumped into a figure standing behind her. He was dressed in a long dark red overdress with a gold dragon spiraling up from the hem to lays it powerful head on his chest. His dark hair was loose and fell forward to cover two multi-colored eyes, one gold and the other amethyst. He was cradling a small basket between his hands.

"Count, you scared the shit out of me!" yelled Jill as she panted slightly, one hand clasped to her chest. "Stop sneaking around would ya."

"I am sorry detective. I will endeavor not to do so again." D said, his lightly accented voice soothing her pounding heart.

"Good, by the way if you are looking for Leon, he just left."

"I know, he seemed to be quite distraught." D said softly, his eyes looking down the hallway that Leon had just stomped down.

"Yeah, he gets like this every year at this time. Holes up in his apartment and won't have contact with anyone." Jill said mournfully, her eyes showing concern for her friend.

"This time, what is so special about this time?" D asked confusion spreading over his serene face.

"Oh, you don't know do you. Well Leon sure doesn't like to talk about it so you couldn't possibly know." she said softly. "When Leon was in the police academy, his parents planned a small birthday celebration for him. He was supposed to be there with them that night, but the guys at the academy got him so drunk that he passed out in his dorm room. The next morning he went home to apologize and that when he found them.."

"Found what detective?" D asked inquiringly.

"Their bodies." She said, a shudder running down her body. "It seems like a burglar had broke into the house while they were waiting for Leon and killed them. Then he painted the wall with their blood, leaving Leon a message. It said 'Happy Birthday Leon' painted over and over again. Leon since then has always locked himself away from everyone, not wanting to celebrate his birthday. To him it is a reminder of his failure to protect his parents. He blames himself for not being there to help them."

D quietly looked down the hall that had just recently held his friend and grieved silently. Nodding to himself, he turned and politely thanked Jill before leaving the precinct to return to his pet shop. He needed to think about how to change Leon's birthday from such a sorrowful memory to a birthday to remember.

~*~

A/N: Please let me know what you think? What will D do to replace Leon's memory of such a horrible day.