Pirates Of The Caribbean Fan Fiction ❯ Honor and Decency ❯ Honor and Decency ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
I wrote this alternate ending to "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" for two reasons.

1.) The ending had a major plot hole. Many people didn't seem bothered by this, but I was. Elizabeth saw Jack row out away from the Black Pearl while the kraken was attacking (when she called him a coward) The kraken continued to attack the ship and Elizabeth witnessed this. Her reasoning for locking Jack to the mast was "It's after you, not us and not the ship." How could she possibly come to this conclusion? The kraken allowed Jack to get away from the ship in a row boat and did not go after him, therefore, she should have logically come to the conclusion that Jack could get into the row boat without drawing the kraken away from the Pearl. Will had also been on Davy Jones ship, so how could she make the assumption that he wasn't now being pursued by Jones and his kraken as well? To me, it was a shoddy ending that wasn't held together well, simply because they wanted to add in "the kiss" to make all the fan girls gasp and swoon.

2.) Jack is not an idiot. He has proven that he is the master of manipulation over and over again, and for him to so easily fall prey to Elizabeth kissing him while Will was there, and she was upset with him over betraying her fiance, was a real insult to Jack's intelligence, in my opinion.

So, I wrote an alternate ending. I feel it would have suited the characters better, allowed the kiss to remain in the plot and let Jack keep his dignity. Enjoy! :)

"Honor and Decency"

*
Jack looked out at the remainder of his crew and then around the deck of his beloved ship. There was no doubt in his mind that Davy Jones would deliver upon his promise and return her to the depths of the ocean.

“Captain, orders?” Gibbs questioned. The kraken would be returning and there was very little doubt that it would rip the ship apart now that it was good and mad.

“Abandon ship. Into the long boat,” Jack ordered.

“Jack...the Pearl,” Gibbs said in a slightly stunned voice.

“She's just a ship, mate,” Jack replied solemnly. He took one last look around while the others began to prepare the long boat.

“Thank you, Jack,” Elizabeth said as she walked up to him.
“We're not free yet, love."

“You came back, I always knew you were a good man,” she said and eyed him up. Jack watched her suspiciously. He could see pure curiosity and even desire in her eyes but there was more, something calculating. Her beloved blacksmith had returned to her, so the sudden soft look she was giving him as she stepped closer, left Jack wondering what, exactly, her intentions were. He took a step back to see if she would continue her pursuit or if she would return to what she considered to be her senses, and return to her betrothed.

Jack took yet another step back as she cleared the distance between them but he caught her gaze as it slipped past him briefly to the mast that was directly behind him. Within a second her lips were on his. He would be lying to himself if he said he hadn't thought about this before. An intelligent, dignified woman showing desire to be with him; rather than just whores and strumpets that demanded money for his pleasures. Mere seconds later he felt her trying to inconspicuously reach around him and as soon as she did, he snapped the shakle around her wrist.

“Told you you'd come to my side, love,” he taunted as she tried to pull her hand free. He then leaned closer to her so he could speak in a low voice. “That moral center...that sense of honor and decency...it's saved for people like your dear William.”

“The monster is after you, not us and not the ship. If you get into that boat you sentence us all to death,” she pleaded as she tried to free herself.

“And if I would have let you drown that day in Port Royal we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place, aye?” He bit back. Elizabeth winced at the words, for they were true. She had spoken to him of honor and decency and yet Jack had saved her life. He could have allowed her to die, but chose not to. And now she was willing to let him die to save herself and the others.

“The way I see it love, we are the same, save for the honor and decency part, of course.” He then turned and grabbed her hand and pulled until it began slipping out of the shackle. She whimpered in pain as her petite hand finally came free and she found herself being shoved down to the long boat.

“Oh and Elizabeth,” he said just before he put her into the boat. “You might want to work on that personal hygiene a bit too, eh?” He glanced at Will and then looked to his first mate, Mr. Gibbs.

“Get as far away from the Pearl as ye can,” Jack ordered. Everyone started at him in stunned silence.

“Jack...” Gibbs said but didn't need to finish. Jack was already looking back at his ship longingly.

“The captain goes down with the ship, right?” He tried to joke and then took on a more serious tone as he turned back to the crew. “It's after me. Not you and not the ship.” Gibbs turned silently to the others who just shook their heads in wonderment.

“Aye, Captain,” he murmured quietly as Jack turned and began walking the deck slowly, taking in his last moments with the Pearl. What felt like hours later, but was really only moments fraught with nervous anticipation, Jack watched as a tentacle began to ascend the side of the ship. He knew what was coming and maybe Elizabeth had been right all along. This was his moment of courage, his chance to do the right thing, if not for them, then for the Black Pearl. What was a man, after all, without his freedom?