Pirates Of The Caribbean Fan Fiction ❯ Mirror, Mirror ❯ The Governor's Ball ( Chapter 11 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 11
 
Eloise tugged at the strings of Ayse's corset, and she sucked in a breath as she held on tightly to the post of her four-poster bed.
“Eloise!” she protested. “If you pull it any tighter I may not be able to breathe!”
“I'm sorry, Miss Ayse,” the maid responded sincerely. She relented on her pulling for a moment. “How does it feel?”
“Tight and uncomfortable, but I don't think I will faint,” Asye responded as she pushed up underneath her breasts.
Eloise finished tying the strings to Ayse's corset and then sat her down at the dressing table to do her hair. “I daresay, Miss Ayse, attending the governor's inaugural ball is quite an honor!”
Ayse frowned. “It would be a better honor if I didn't have to go with Mr. Bradley.”
“Now, my friend, I'm certain he really isn't all bad if'n you give him a chance.”
Ayse turned her head up to scowl at Eloise. “Have you not seen how old he is? Dear God, he's older than my own father.”
Eloise put Ayse's head down and ran the brush through her hair. Then she began parting Ayse's dark locks with the comb and pinning the hair into place. “Well, I did see that, but I must ask - why did you accept this engagement when it's obvious you don't want it?”
Ayse chewed her lower lip. “I accepted because I didn't have a choice in the matter. Single men my age are few and far between after all.” Ayse paused, knowing that every word spoken to anyone must be chosen carefully, even though Eloise was her friend. “Now stop asking questions that are none of your business and finish me so that I may dress.”
Eloise complied and soon left the room. As soon as the door was closed, Ayse began to tug on the gown and tighten the laces in front before pinning the stomacher in place. She opened James's watch and then turned to study herself in the larger dressing mirror that once held James locked inside.
“You look far lovelier than I could have ever imagined,” James said earnestly. He paused to study her for a moment. “Mr. Bradley no doubt has excellent taste in women's attire.”
Ayse gave the side of the dress a tug. “Yes, but I daresay that his taste in size is slightly off.”
James laughed. “You will do and say anything to shoot that man down, won't you?”
“I'm sorry for my pessimism, but I've just been teeming with resentment over this whole engagement.”
“I can understand your cynicism, but do try to at least enjoy yourself this evening, Ayse,” James suggested. “It is an honor in the highest to be able to attend a ball at the Governor's mansion, and one that celebrates an inauguration at that.”
“I know, I know,” she responded dismissively. “And I do wish I could take you with me, if only for the security of having you, but I know that I cannot.”
“I understand, Ayse, and honestly, it will be good to mingle with others for a change. You said yourself that you haven't many friends, but I must warn you that there is a great deal of busybodies in Port Royal high society that cannot be trusted to keep their tongues in check. Be very mindful of what you say, Ayse.”
“I appreciate your advice, James, and I promise that it is dually noted.”
“Ayse! Are you ready yet?” Edmund called from downstairs.
She glanced at the door. “I'm coming!” She turned to look at James and lifted the hem of her skirts. “Please take care while I'm gone.”
“I will, and you try to enjoy yourself.”
Ayse shot gave James a pained look and then she was gone. She held onto the railing of the stairs and made her way down gracefully. Alston awaited her at the bottom of the stairs, his hazel eyes lighting up at the sight of her in the beautiful dress he had sent over for this very occasion. He extended his hand, and Ayse forced a pleasant smile at him, despite her personal reservations. She took it, and he led her down the last two steps before leaning down to kiss her hand.
“You look simply ravishing in that color of blue, Ayse, my love,” he said, straightening up.
“Thank you,” she responded.
He held her arm and wrapped it around his own affectionately. Alston was dressed in the fineries of an upstanding noble gentleman of Port Royal society with a full suit made of the finest materials that his tailors back in London had to offer.
Ayse glanced toward her family who were also attending this esteemed event. Mary looked as though she would die of jealousy, Aunt Anne smiled fondly at Ayse, apparently having no clue of the goings on behind this engagement, and Edmund…oh, how he looked so infuriatingly smug toward her. Ayse held back her scowl and kept her temper in check as Alston led his fiancée out to his carriage and helped her in.
Ayse turned her head and looked out the small window at the sea as the carriage pulled away from the comfort of her home. She knew that soon she would be out there with James in her pocket heading away from Port Royal and away from this marriage, but what obstacles lay ahead for them, she was not sure, nor did she want to think about it. She didn't want to think about the people she would be angering back here or what her father would do if he showed up here and she was gone.
“You seem preoccupied, Ayse,” Alston's voice broke in. “Is something troubling you?”
She forced a nervous smile. “N-no…not really. I'm just a bit nervous about a woman such as myself mingling with those of higher birth than I.”
Alston smiled at Ayse reassuringly, and his eyes held warmth toward her within them. “You need not be ill at ease, for I will be with you the whole time. I am certain my friends and acquaintances will be quite fond of you. You will have a splendid time. I promise you that.”
The carriage pulled up to their destination, and when the coachman opened the door, Ayse couldn't believe her eyes. The Governor's mansion was more beautiful than she had ever expected, and though it was in the very same district that James's house was in, this was the first time she was ever seeing it.
The house was a full two story home with fine marble steps leading up to the large mahogany front doors. The balcony was held up by four large pillars decorated in the classic Greek style. She carefully went up the steps, escorted by Alston, and entered an expansive foyer with a large staircase leading to the upper level of the home. The ballroom was located in the middle of the house, and two doormen opened a set of double doors just off the foyer to reveal a large room filled with the sound of music and the scent of refreshments placed on a table near the far left wall. A large crystal chandelier hung over the ballroom floor as couples dressed in the finest materials Ayse had ever seen swirled about the floor in a dance. Those who were not dancing chose to mingle off to the side and drink wine and eat the tarts that the refreshment table had to offer.
“Mr. Alston Bradley and his lovely fiancée Miss Ayse Thomas!” the butler announced.
People in the vicinity turned to look at Ayse and Alston, some of the ladies whispering to one another behind their fans while others simply looked her over and nodded. Whether they approved of her, Ayse did not know, nor did she care. She allowed Alston to lead her through the crowd and down to the main floor where the Governor was mingling with other elite members of society.
“Ah, Mr. Bradley,” the Governor acknowledged pleasantly. “I was wondering when you would make your appearance.”
“Well, I couldn't leave my lovely date waiting,” Alston lightly joked.
The Governor looked Ayse over and smiled. “So, this is the lovely lady you've told me so much about.” He gave a small bow to Ayse. “Governor John Williams. Pleased to finally meet you.”
Ayse spread her skirts and curtsied. “Miss Ayse Thomas. Thank you for having us at your lovely party and congratulations on your inauguration.”
“Thank you, Miss Thomas, and I hope that you will enjoy yourself.” He turned to Alston and smiled. “You had better ask the lady to dance, Mr. Bradley. I'm sure she doesn't want to be caught up in boring political conversations.”
Alston looked down at her and smiled. “Shall we, Ayse?”
She nodded in agreement as he swept her into a waltz and merged in with the rest of the crowd. She was surrounded by other couples like them, most of them married, but Alston never took his eyes from her. The music was fast for several songs before the musicians finally slowed it down a little to allow for the guests to break or dance slowly.
“Are hot, Ayse? You look a bit flushed,” Alston said.
She nodded. “I could stand to have a drink if you can find one.”
“Here. Let's get you out to some fresh air, then.” He led her out through a set of glass paned double doors to a large balcony outside where he set Ayse down on a bench. “I'll go get you a drink while you cool yourself.”
Alston left and was back moments later carrying two glasses of chilled wine. He sat down next to Ayse on the bench and handed her a glass. They sipped the wine together in silence for a moment before Alston began to speak.
“I am so glad you've accepted my offer for marriage, Ayse,” he began. “I am well aware of the age difference between us, but I promise you that you will be well cared for, and I think that we can grow very fond of one another in time.”
“I imagine so,” Ayse told him. “I can see that you are indeed a good man, and for that I am grateful.”
Alston fingered his glass and looked down at the bubbling substance it held. “Ayse, another thing that concerns me is the fact that I've been married two times already. Both of my wives were just as lovely and vibrant as you, yet they were fated to grow ill and pass away. I…hope that my previous marriages aren't a problem for you.”
Ayse shook her head. “I'm truly sorry for your losses, Alston, but I suppose that God just didn't have it fated for you to spend your life with them. I simply hope that I can live up to their reputations.”
He put his glass down with a pained expression and took Ayse's hand. “Ayse…I have no intention of comparing you to either of my late wives or making you feel like you have to measure up to them. You are your own person, and I will love you for that reason only.” He pushed a black curl away from Ayse's face. “You have my promise on that, my dear.”
She forced a smile. “I'm glad of that, Alston. I don't think many men could be as kind and generous as you.”
“You know I was thinking about our wedding date, and…I didn't know how soon you wanted to wed. Have you a particular date in mind?”
Ayse shrugged. “Not really. There aren't really seasons here in Jamaica, so I suppose that as long as it doesn't rain, any time sounds good.”
He smiled. “I was rather thinking the same, dear. In fact, I wanted to wed as soon as possible.”
Ayse arched an eyebrow, alarmed by this statement. “Um…how soon?”
He took her hands excitedly. “How about we try to make it in two weeks?”
Ayse couldn't stop her eyebrows from going up in both surprise and dismay. She was counting on a month, but two weeks…would that be enough time?
Alston suddenly looked a little crestfallen. “You don't look like you're too excited about that.”
“Uh…n-no!” Ayse recovered, smiling. “That sounds splendid. Two weeks it is, then.”
He stood up and held his hand out to her. “Oh, Ayse, I am so glad to hear that. I say, we should go in and make the announcement.”
Ayse took his hand and stood up as well. “Y-yes, I suppose we should.”
Alston beamed again at her before taking Ayse into his arms and pulling her into a hug. “You have no idea how happy you have made me,” he whispered as his lips caressed her fair cheek. He held her back at arm's length after kissing her cheek and then led her through the crowd toward the Governor.
“Governor Williams, I hate to steal your spotlight, but my lovely fiancée and I have an announcement to make…”
 
 
“Two weeks!? Just two weeks?!” James sputtered. “Ayse! Why didn't you push for a month?!”
“I don't know!” she argued. “I wasn't exactly in a position to barter!” Ayse kicked off the gown, too distressed at the moment to care that she was in her undergarments in front of James. “Crikey, I was anticipating that he would suggest a month which would have given us more time!”
“Still, you could have tried!” James fired back.
“Well what was I supposed to say, James?” she snapped. “Let's make it for a month so I can finalize my plans on jilting you?!”
James rolled his eyes and heaved an exasperated sigh. “This petty arguing is getting us nowhere. I suppose we will just have to make do, then. It really is an inconvenience, though.”
“I know it is, but at least the hard part is over and all we have to do is figure out how to get out of Port Royal,” she sighed. Ayse looked at James ruefully. “I really am sorry about all this. I honestly was counting on a month, and everything just happened so fast….and I didn't want to hurt his feelings because he was dreadfully excited, and…”
“I know, I know,” James cut her off. He shot her a sympathetic look. “I shouldn't have yelled at you, and for that I do apologize. I…guess I forgot that you're in just as sticky a situation as I and that you're risking a lot yourself by doing this.”
Ayse lay on her stomach on the bed and reached over to pick James up. “I am risking a lot for this, James. A lot of people are going to be good and pissed off at me over this, and…a man is going to be very heartbroken and humiliated.”
“Alston?”
“Yes,” Ayse admitted. “I may not want to marry him, but I do care about the fact that he's already had two wives die and now his bride to be is going to jilt him in front of all of Port Royal society. I will be damaging a man's pride here, and possibly the last chance he has at having a family.” She paused for a moment before continuing. “I really got to know this man tonight, James, and he truly is a kind man who has already begun to care for me very much, and I hate that I have to repay him in this manner.”
James furrowed his brow as he remembered his own situation with Elizabeth. He had been in Alston's shoes before, having worked hard to build up a life and a small fortune so that he could provide for the object of his affection. James remembered how he gave up Elizabeth to the blacksmith in front of everyone for the sake of her happiness and how humiliated he felt at having his private matters exposed in front of everyone. The difference here was that Ayse had thought carefully about this man's feelings when Elizabeth, he felt, had not.
“Ayse,” he said softly. “You are a caring person in the fact that you have thought about Mr. Bradley's feelings. I know what it's like to be in his shoes, and it really is degrading and harmful to a man's pride. It's something that is very difficult to recover from, and…was the means to my downfall, I'm afraid.”
“Yes, you've told me about all of that, and I am sorry all that happened to you and that you have had to live with the mistakes you've made, but I think everything will come around full circle for you.” She chewed her lower lip. “I just hope that Alston can find it in his heart to forgive me for what I am about to do.”
“In time, he will,” James reassured her. “The thing that I found was that it's hard to withhold forgiveness from someone you love.”
James looked up at the distant look held in Ayse's eyes. She truly seemed troubled by the fact that she was about to cause harm to a man who had never wronged her in his life. He wished he could reach out and touch her, if only to offer his assurance, but he knew that he could not.
Instead he gave a small sigh and decided to change the subject. “Ayse, remember that friend of mine I had mentioned?”
“Yes, what about him?”
“I think it's time we pay him a visit.”
“Tomorrow?” Ayse asked.
“Preferably, and I hope to God he can see me in this watch.”
She frowned. “As do I. But we'll find out tomorrow.”