Pokemon Fan Fiction / Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Pokémon: Sora's Journey ❯ Sparks Fly For Magnemite ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Episode 25: Sparks Fly For Magnemite

A couple more days has passed and the Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, and the Alolan nine had made it Gringey City.

As they arrived, they found that the place is just plain depressing. The town has mostly factories. Only a few people live there and to add, there was no blue sky and the ocean smells like sludge.

"Just look at this place," Sora said. "Many factories around here. And we haven't even seen a single person since we got here."

"Judging by the look of this place, I would say for certain that the name is appropriate," Hapu said.

"What happened that made it like this?" Kiawe asked.

"Well, I heard it used to be a tourist attraction, until the city went overboard with building more and more factories," Sora explained. "It got so bad, the pollution ruined the air and water causing a lot of people to move away."

"I know I wouldn't want to live either," Sophocles said.

Pikachu wasn't feeling so good. He started to sparkling electricity and he faints.

"Pikachu!" Sora gasped. "You okay? Pikachu! Come on, buddy! Speak to me!"

"Pika," Pikachu said weakly.

Sora picks Pikachu up only to be shocked by Pikachu's burst of electricity. Unknown to the group, they were being watched by a light blue Pokémon with a round steel body with horseshoe magnets on the side. It also has to screws on its body and a bigger screw on top of its head. This Pokémon is a Magnemite.

Sora, Kairi, and the Alolan nine rushes Pikachu into the local Pokémon Center. Sora is wearing rubber gloves so that he wouldn't be shocked again. Sora was glad his mother packed those in. Also, he remembered rubber can block electricity. They finally made it to the Pokémon Center.

Unknown to the group, they were being watched by Team Rocket who is currently hiding in the sewer.

"We finally found them," Meowth said as he is in his own mini submarine. Jessie and James weren't so lucky as they were choking on the pollution. "Chill out and put the suits on!" Jessie and James put on the suits as fast as they could. "This machine pumps in a mixture of oxygen and air freshener."

"Much better," Jessie and James sighed.

"Why didn't you tell us about these suits sooner, Meowth?!" James snapped.

"We could have choked to death!" Jessie snapped along James.

"Stop complaining you two," Meowth told his human colleagues. "I did come up with this ingenious scheme. Now get through the pipe and swim to the Pokémon Center. We're wasting time here!"

"Your plans stinks, Meowth!" Jessie snapped. "I am not going through the sewer!"

"I am one hundred percent with Jessie in this one!" James agreed. "I want to get Pikachu just as bad as you do; but this in humiliating! It's degrading!"

"James and I refuse to go along with this!" Jessie stated. "Sorry that this shocks you!"

Meowth's grin didn't disappear.

"So am I," Meowth said pushing a button. Jessie and James got the shock of a lifetime. It wasn't Pikachu's usual shocks but it was a shock. "I knew that you'll see things my way."

"You'll pay for this, Meowth," Jessie vowed.

"Why do we have to do all the dirty work?" James sarcastically asked.

They went into the mucky water and slowly made their way towards the pipe to the Pokémon Center.

Inside the Pokémon Center, Sora was banging the bell frantically.

"Hello! Nurse Joy!" Sora banged the bell. "It's a matter of life or death! Come on!" Sora banged and banged as Nurse Joy stepped out with a yawn.

"Do any of you have any idea what time it is?" Nurse Joy asked sleepy. "You should be asleep by now."

"I realize how late it is!" Sora said. "But something is wrong with my Pikachu!"

Nurse Joy looked at the Pikachu in Sora's arms and yawned again.

"There's nothing to worry about," Nurse Joy said. "Your Pikachu just has a cold."

"What do you mean a cold?" Sora asked.

"Your Pikachu has a Pokémon cold," Nurse Joy explained. "Sparks coming from your Pikachu's cheeks is a cold symptom. Just leave your Pikachu here overnight and it'll be as good as new in the morning."

Sora was super relieved to hear that. Kairi and the Alolan nine shared his relief. But Sora had to ask something.

"Just by any chance are you the oddball in your family?" Sora questioned.

"No actually," Nurse Joy answered. "It's my other relatives who are odd."

Sora, Kairi, and the Alolan nine just looked at her oddly. Meanwhile in the polluted sea water outside a power plant, a hoarde of Grimer emerges from the water and start crowding the vent outside.

Inside the power plant, two power plant workers are inside monitoring the city's power supply ae doing their daily routine when the power gets cut.

"What the hell was that?" One of the wrokers asked.

"Our generator has completely shut down," the second worker asked. "The water intake valve is completely jammed!"

"It can't be!" the first worker exclaimed.

Back in the sewer, the oxygen pumper shuts off and Meowth starts to freak out.

"What the heck just happened?!" Meowth exclaimed. "The power is completely shut down!" Meowth looks over to the oxygen tubes from the machine. "And if there's no power; there's no air. Jessie and James are dead ducks." Meowth winced at the thought. "What do I do? What do I do?" Meowth repeated over and over again giving off cold sweat. In the sewer's water, Jessie and James made their way through when they realized that they no longer had air to breath.

"MY AIR SUPPLY!" Jessie exclaimed as James gurgles.

In the Pokémon Center, just as Sora, Kairi, and the Alolan nine were about to get some rest, the power instantly shuts off. Nurse Joy along with Sora and his friends rushes over to the Pokémon in intensive care.

"What's going on now?" Sora asked.

"These Pokémon are intensive care!" Nurse Joy said. "And if we don't get the power back on and soon, these Pokémon won't make it to see the next morning!"

"Oh no!" Kairi exclaimed.

"We have to do something!" Lana said.

"Lana's right!" Kiawe said. "Is there anything you can do, Nurse Joy?"

"I'm afraid that I don't," Nurse Joy said sadly.

Sora sighed and as he shook his head.

"Looks like it's up to us," Sora said.

"Where do we start?" Illima asked.

"We should get to Officer Jenny's police booth," Sora stated. "I'm sure that she could find out what's going on."

"That's a good start as any," Mallow said.

"Let's go!" Sora said as he and the others started to make their way. Pikachu weakly turns to Sora.

"Pika," Pikachu wealky said holding out his little paw. They all turned to look at Pikachu.

"Don't worry, Pikachu," Sora said. "We'll be back when the power's back on. I promise."

They all left the Pokémon Center as Nurse Joy watches them leave.

"Good luck everybody," Nurse Joy said worryingly.

Pikachu was saddened by this. Pikachu knew Sora has never once broken a promise to Pikachu, but he began to worry about something might happen. Nurse Joy places Pikachu down on a little bed she had provided. Once he made sure that he was alone, he went after Sora, Kairi, and the Alolan nine.

The group made it to Officer Jenny's police booth.

"I'm trying to make contact," the policewoman said. "But there's no answer at the power plant!"

"Something is definitely up," Sora said.

"What does the power plant look like?" Kairi asked.

"It's not hard to miss," Officer Jenny said. "It's the huge building with the smoke stacks." She points to her left.

"Then let's get a move on!" Sora stated. Kairi and the Alolan nine agreed as they heard rustling in the bushes. They all turned to look. "W-What is that?" Sora said taking out Dratini's Dive Ball.

The small figure reveals to be Pikachu. Despite his cold he manged to catch up with his human friends.

"Pika...chu," Pikachu said weakly.

"Pikachu!" Sora exclaimed surprised. "Don't scare me like that!" Sora puts the Dive Ball away and he and the others went up to the mouse Pokémon. "And why are you here? You should be back in the Pokémon Center resting!"

"Chu," Pikachu weakly said shaking his head.

"Why not?" Sora asked.

"Could it be maybe Pikachu thought that we would just leave and not come back?" Kairi asked.

"Pikachu," Pikachu weakly nodded.

"Why would you think that?" Sora asked feeling hurt. "You should know by now I would never do that to you. I would never forgive myself if I lost you to anything."

"Pikachu," Pikachu said weakly.

"We don't have time to take Pikachu back," Kiawe said. "We got a job to do."

"You're right," Sora agreed before turning back to Pikachu. "You can come too. But just don't overdo it."

"Pika!" Pikachu smiled as he jumped into Sora's arms accidentally shocking him. He wished he still had those rubber gloves on.

"I've got ya covered," Sophocles said taking out Togedemaru's Pokéball. He lets Togedemaru out. "Togedemaru has an ability called Lightning Rod. As long as she's out, it won't be a problem."

"That's good to know," Sora said.

Unknown to anyone, the Magnemite from before is watching them carefully. Its single eye glows blue.

Elsewhere in the city, Jessie and James are breathing frantically finally getting out of the mucky sewer water.

"That was way too close to comfort," Jessie said. "We almost suffocated."

"The city has been plunged into darkness by a power failure," Meowth said.

"A power failure, is it?" James wheezed. "I can identify with that failure."

Team Rockets spots Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, and the Alolan nine running pass them.

"There they go!" Meowth said gleefully. "Finally lady luck is smiling on us! We can finally capture that pesky Pikachu from those goody-goody kids. Jessie, James, on your feet."

"Give us a chance to catch our breath first!" Jessie snapped at Meowth. "It was your fault that we nearly died in that sewer thanks to your ridiculous plan!"

"Just how do we know we won't die on the next plan you hatch from that mind of yours?!" James exclaimed.

"Just leave it all to me," Meowth said. "My next plan will be foolproof."

They made it over to the power plant.

"This must be the place," Sora said.

"We should check inside," Acerola said.

Sora and Kiawe managed to get the sliding door open and saw the place was deserted.

"Doesn't look like anyone is here," Hapu said.

"We'll have to look around," Kairi said.

"Good idea," Sora said. "Where should we start?"

Illima looked at the map of the power plant.

"We could start by heading down to the central control room down that way," Illima said pointing to his right.

Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, and the Alolan nine wondered through the plant's halls and found it odd that no one was working there. Just as the group were making their way, Sophocles and Togedemaru freezes.

"Guys," Sophocles said. "Something is following us."

Everyone looks around and sees nothing.

"There's nobody here," Sora said.

"I know I just heard something just now," Sophocles reasoned.

Kiawe grabbed Sophocles by his shirt.

"Sora is right," Kiawe said. "You're probably just hearing things. Your imagination is getting the best of you. Now let's keep moving!"

"I'm not imagining anything!" Sophocles argued. "I know I just heard something!"

Kiawe moaned as he turned back but he froze as he saw a shadowy figure floating behind Sora. Soon enough everyone else, except Sora saw it.

"Come on, Sophocles," Sora said. "I can understand you're scared. But there's nothing to worry about. Isn't that right, Kairi?" Kairi didn't answer as she was paralyzed with fright. "Not you too, Kairi. Kiawe I..." Sora looked at Kiawe as he also saw the frightened look. "Lana? Mallow? Mina? Illima? Hapu? Lillie? Anyone just say something!"

"S-S-Sora," Kairi finally spoke.

"T-T-There's something..." Lillie said.

"...behind you." Lana finished.

Sora froze as he slowly turned and saw nothing.

"Okay who it is just stop scaring us and just come out!" Sora said. "And if you're a ghost, just go away."

"Just go away," Kiawe sarcastically repeated. "Is that the best that you could come uo with?"

"It is on such short notice," Sora admitted in a low tone.

The shadowy figure looms behind Pikachu and Togedemaru. The two Electric Types turns around. The center eye starts glowing. Togedemaru jumps back towards Sophocles.

"Pika! Pikachu! Pika!"

"Pikachu," Sora said trying his to keep his cool and shaking. "Be quiet. Pikachu." Sora and the reat turn and saw the glowing circle as they scream frantically. Sora started to hold Kairi without thinking. She held him just as tight. They all jumped towards the wall behind them.

"WHAT IS THAT?!" Hapu asked.

"Magnemite."

"What the?" Sora asked.

Everyone looked at the figure behind Pikachu and saw that it was just a Magnemite.

"It was just a little Magnemite," Lillie said as Mina nodded.

Sora still shaking took out his Pokédex to analyze it.

Magnemite, the Magnet Pokémon

Type: Electric/Steel

Magnemite attaches itself to power lines to feed on electricity. If your house has a power outage, check your circuit breakers. You may find a large number of this Pokémon clinging to the breaker box.

"So it was just a Magnemite that was just scaring us the whole time," Kiawe groaned.

"What is it doing here?" Lana asked.

"It's not unusual to see one around a power plant," Lillie said. "That's where they usually make their homes."

"You don't think that it caused the blackout?" Mallow asked.

"I doubt it," Lillie shaking her head. "It couldn't have all by itself."

"I think you're right," Kairi said. "It looks too small to do any kind of damage alone."

"How much longer are you two lovebirds gonna keep clinging to each other?" Mallow jested.

Sora and Kairi realized they were still holding each other and frantically let go blushing. Magnemite starts circling around Pikachu. That got everyone to wonder.

"What is that Magnemite doing circling around Pikachu like that?" Sora asked.

"It seems to like Pikachu for a reason," Lillie said.

As Pikachu gave of sparks, Magnemite starts blushing.

"It's blushing," Acerola said. "Like it's in love with Pikachu or something."

"Doubt it," Lillie deadpanned.

"I doubt that too," Illima said stroking his chin. "Magnemite are genderless Pokémon. But I do suspect something has attracted it to Pikachu for a reason."

"What kind of something," Sora asked.

"I don't claim to know," Illima said.

Magnemite follows Pikachu around and around. He hides behind Sora's leg. But it retreats for a reason.

"Looks like that Magnemite gave up," Sora said when he started gagging. "What is that smell?"

Everyone caught a whiff and winced and held their noses to keep from breathing in the foul odor. From out of the air duct above, a small group of Grimer drops down.

"Grimer!" Kairi exclaimed holding her nose.

Sora pulled his Pokédex and pointed at the sludgy Pokémon.

Grimer, the Sludge Pokémon

Type: Poison

Grimer emerged from the sludge that settled on a polluted seabed. This Pokémon loves anything filthy. It constantly leaks a horribly germ-infested fluid from all over its body.

"I have a feeling these Pokémon are responsible for what's going on," Lana said.

"And that Magnemite just left because of them," Kiawe added.

"We'll have to clear them out," Sora said.

"I don't think the Pokémon we have will do any good," Kairi said. "It looks like there might be more out there. We could be dealing with an army of Grimer."

Sora had to agree. Just then, another sludgy Pokémon emerged from behind the Grimer. It was much larger than the Grimer, but its mouth is wider and the eyes are barely visible.

"What is that thing?!" Sophocles exclaimed.

"It's a Muk!" Sora answered pointing his Pokédex at the Muk.

Muk, the Sludge Pokémon

The evolved form of Grimer

Type: Poison

From Muk's body seeps a foul fluid that gives off a nose-bendingly horrible stench. Just one drop of this Pokémon's body fluid can turn a pool stagnant and rancid.

"I think that Muk is the ringleader," Mallow said shaking.

"I think you're right, Mallow," Lillie said.

"Totally," Mina said.

Muk sends the Grimer after the group as they ran for their lives.

"I don't think they want us to be here!" Kairi said.

"And what gave that away?!" Kiawe exclaimed.

Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, and the Alolan kept running as the Grimer gave chase. They kept running until Sora bumped into the power plant workers.

"Hey! What are you kids doing in here?" the second plant worker asked.

"Running for our lives for one thing," Sora answered.

"And that's something you guys should do too!" Sophocles added.

Before any of the workers could ask why they should run, they got their answer pretty quick.

"Oh shit!" The first plant worker exclaimed. "Grimer!"

"Back to the control room!" the second plant worker said with the kids and Pikachu following them. The Grimer continued their pursuit as the group entered the control room locking the door. Everyone started panting.

"That was so close," Sora panted. "And I thought running from a swarm of Beedrill was one thing."

"You mind telling us how those Grimer even got in here in the first place?" Kairi asked. "We need to clear them out or the Pokémon at the Pokémon Center will die."

"They had to come in through the sea water intake," the second plant worker said. "And there are so many of those things that they're clogging it up. We need to get the water into a boil."

"The water will turn the turbines on the generator," the first worker continued. "We've been having trouble to get it up and running."

"SORA!" Kiawe yelled. Everyone turned to Kiawe holding the door. "The Grimer are ramming the door! I can't hold it by myself!"

The Grimer started to ram at the door trying to get to the humans. Sora, Lana, Illima, and Sophocles held the door as best as they could do, but they rammed the door opened. Everyone was trapped. It looked like there were even more Grimer now.

"You kids are Pokémon trainers right?" The first plant worker asked. "Maybe you could get rid of the Grimer for us!"

"That should get the turbines to work!" The second plant worker added.

"We are," Sora answered. "But my Pikachu is sick and all of our Pokémon combined won't be able to take on all of these Grimer at once since there's too many of them!"

"Pikachu," Pikachu said weakly.

"Pikachu?" Sora looked at Pikachu. He had no other option. "Use your Thunderbolt!"

"Pikachu!" Pikachu fired Thunderbolt at one of the Grimer. They kept coming and coming. Until the Magnemite from before came intonthe control room along with a bunch of Pokémon which looks like three Magnemite together. Sora pulled out his Pokédex and pointed it at the new Pokémon.

Magneton, the Magnet Pokémon

The evolved form of Magnemite

Type: Electric/Steel

Magneton emits a powerful magnetic force that is fatal to mechanical devices. As a result, large cities sound sirens to warn citizens of large-scale outbreaks of this Pokémon.

"Where did they all come from?" Sora asked.

"It must have gone to get help since it couldn't take on the Grimer alone," Kairi pointed out.

Magnemite and the Magneton fired a wave of electricity at the Grimer. The sludge Pokémon were forced into a retreat. They were driven back to the sea water intake to where they have came from. The Grimer outside were even forced to retreat as well. The water flows into the intake turning the generator back on and restring power back to the city. Even at the Pokémon Center where Nurse Joy was currently waiting. The Pokémon in intensive care were all going to be alright thanks to Sora and his friends.

"We did it!" Sora beamed.

"Wait!" Kairi said. "There's one left!"

Everyone looked to see that only Muk didn't retreat.

"It's Muk!" Sora said. "And it's angry. Pikachu! Thunderbolt!"

"Pikachu!" Pikachu nodded firing Thunderbolt at the large sludge Pokémon. Sophocles decided to join in as he looked at Togedemaru.

"Okay Togedemaru! Discharge!" Sophocles ordered.

Togedemaru fired her Discharge attack at Muk combining Pikachu's Thunderbolt. Magnemite joined in firing the electricity at Muk. Muk got overwhelmed by the combined shocks and fell to the ground beaten. Sora threw a Pokéball at the Muk trapping it inside. The Pokéball wobbles around and around. Stars swirls around the Pokéball confirming the catch.

"Gotcha! Muk is good as mi-" Sora said before holding his nose. "You've gotta be kidding! The stench seeps through the Pokéball?!" Sora's Pokédex starts buzzing. Sora quickly took his Pokédex and decides to send the newly captured Muk straight to Professor Oak. The Pokéball teleports away to the Professor's lab as he starts breathing again.

Over to Professor Oak's lab, the scientist became ecstatic to see Sora had sent a new Pokémon to him once again.

"So Sora has managed to capture a new Pokémon!" Professor Oak beamed. "I wonder what did he send to me this time." He got his answer when the Pokéball opens up. "What is that smell?!" The Muk emerged out.

"Muk Muk Muk!"

"What's the idea of sending me a Muk?!" Professor Oak exclaimed. "Yuck!" He didn't know if it was Sora's idea of payback for him teasing Sora about him and Kairi. The Muk tackled Professor Oak to the ground. "Get off of me this minute!"

With the Grimer dealt with, everyone steps outside the power plant. And Pikachu started to feel better.

"What was up with Pikachu?" Sophocles asked. "He was just sick until a little while ago."

"I think I have a theory," Lillie said. "Pikachu must have built up too much electricity in his body until he let it all out against that Muk."

"That is exactly what happened," The first plant worker said. "Electric Type Pokémon get magnetized when they build up too much electricity. And they discharge electricity they get demagnetized."

Sophocles looks at Magnemite and threw the Pokéball at the Magnemite. Magnemite flows inside and the Pokéball wobbles around. Stars swirls around the Pokéball confirming the catch.

"Sora got a Muk. And I got a Magnemite," Sophocles said as he smiled.

"Two catches at once," Sora said as he wrapped his arm around his friend. "Congrates to you!"

"Same to you!" Sophocles laughed.

Team Rocket emerges from the sea water in their Gyarados submarine with a giant magnet attached.

"Since Pikachu is magnetized, we can pull Pikachu over to our giant magnet. Pikachu is good as caught!" Jessie said.

"And the boss will give us a big bonus for our efforts!" James added.

"And I'll be on his lap again!" Meowth said as he pushed the button to the magnet. But suddenly a bunch of Magneton gets pulled on instead. With more Magneton being added on, the submarine started to sink lower and lower.

"That doesn't sound good," Jessie said.

"No it doesn't," James agreed.

"Not one bit," Meowth also agreed.

The submarine sank to the bottom of the ocean floor.

"Some plan, Meowth!" Jessie snarled.

"I was sure that it was foolproof!" Meowth defended.

Back to the Pokémon Center, Sora, Kairi, and the Alolan nine explained to Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny about what happened.

"So all the Grimer here is just living proof that the sea is polluted," Kairi said.

"So you just need to clean it up," Lana said.

"You're right Lana," Officer Jenny said. "We'll do our part to make sure that happens."

"And when you clean up the air too, you can breathe life into this city again," Illima said.

"Thank all of you for what you've done," Nurse Joy said. "You worked hard to save these Pokémon's lives, I was inspired to be a better nurse."

"I will salute your fine work!" Offer Jenny beamed.

"We didn't do anything special," Sora modestly said. "Just don't go overboard with the factories again and try to keep it clean."

"We will," Nurse Joy said. "And come back and visit us again."

The group continued on their way to Fushia City and for Sora's next Gym battle. With the capture of the Muk still fresh in Sora's mind he and his friends knew that even the most disgusting Pokémon can be a valuable asset to the team. And who knows what else lays ahead for them.

Over to Professor Oak's lab, Sora's new Muk didn't take long to adjust to its new life at Professor Oak's lab as it liked the Pokémon professor instantly.

Suddenly a knock came at the door.

"I better go see who that is." Professor Oak said to himself. He managed to break away from Muk's hold. As he went down stairs he opened to see Delia along with three kids he's not familiar with. Delia is holding a plate with a paper towel over it.

"Ah Delia," The professor greeted. "Hello. I am happy to see you, but I'm afraid that you've caught me at a bad time."

"If it's a bad time, we could come back later," Delia said.

"Don't be silly," Professor Oak said reassuringly. "But I must ask who are they."

"Professor, I would like to introduce you to my nephew Ventus and his two friends Terra and Aqua."

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Professor Oak," Aqua said.

"Same here," Terra said.

Ventus smiled as he caught a whiff of something.

"What's that smell?" Ventus asked.

Ventus got his answer when Muk came downstairs and charged at the professor again.

"No-no! Stay back!" Professor Oak exclaimed as Muk tackeld him to the ground again. "Get off me this minute!"

"Hey! A Muk! So cool!" Ventus beamed holding his nose.

"Who sent that here?" Terra said also holding his nose.

"This is Sora's latest Pokémon," Professor Oak said. "But I have a theory this Muk has taken a shine to me."

Muk looked at the other four humans it went towards the youngest and started to hug Ventus. He started to laugh as the large sludge Pokémon started to like Ventus instantly.

"Hey! I like you too, big guy!" Ventus said Muk hugging him.

Terra and Aqua just shook their heads as they watched Muk hug their young friend and Delia just smiled as she knew he is Sora's cousin.