Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Final Destiny ❯ Realization ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
::Part Two::<<realization//ash realizes the thing he had missed for so long, but his past follows even here to finish the job it began.>>

Ash watched as the Pokemon and their clones pounded each other mercilessly. He propped himself up against the wall of the stadium, still tired after climbing down from the upper floor. Near blinding flashes of light issued from Mew and Mewtwo as they smashed into each other.

"What will happen to them?" Ash thought. "They...they're killing each other. How could they do this?"

He watched as the clone Pikachu repeatedly slapped Ash's Pikachu, but Pikachu didn't move even a muscle to defend or attack back.

"Someone's gotta take a stand," Ash began. "Someone's gotta say no! And refuse to fight....just like Pikachu..."

He heard Joy and Misty talking...and the Pokemon's continued attacks, but that seemed only to be in the background. He knew what he had to do. Somehow, he knew what would stop this fighting.

He stood up, and ran with all his might between Mew and Mewtwo. He saw their attacks coming straight at him. They smashed into him. His body was exploding with pain. He felt himself get colder and colder. And then he blacked out.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

"Hello??" a voice called out to him. "Please...wake up..."

The voice sounded distant, but comforting. He walked in it's direction.

"Please...get up...you can't....."

He continued walking towards the sound.

"I'm sorry," another voice responded to the first. "There's nothing we can do. His injuries are just too severe..."

"What are they talking about?" Ash thought. "Who are they? Those voices...I can't place them..."

But he continued walking in their direction.

"I only brought him back here because I saw that no major organs were damaged. But he just lost too much blood. I'm really sorry..."

"Are they talking about...about me??" Ash thought. The thought surprised, and scared him. He started running.

"We can leave him on life support for as long as you want, but...."

Ash opened his eyes. Everything was so bright, an endless bright blur of color. He blinked again. His head was throbbing and he felt sick, but he was alive.

"He's awake!! Akamadake, he's awake!!!"

"Ayaka...I already told you...Oh my gosh!! You're right!! Sir...are you alright? What's your name? Who are you?"

Ash's head felt foggy. What were they talking about? Were they still talking to him?? "...what??...." he asked softly.

"We should really let him rest.." said Ayaka.

But Ash continued. "what...happened...to me...."

"Don't you remember? I was fighting you and those other people, but then one of them, that girl with the red hair, went wacky and started attacking everyone. You got sliced pretty bad by her ice sword. We didn't think you were gonna make it."

"...that...that dream...i had that dream...."

"Dream?"

"where i...." his body suddenly seized up. He cried out in pain.

"You really need to rest!! We can talk later!!"

He nodded briefly before losing consciousness.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

"So...can you explain to me Ayaka, why those people were attacking you?" asked Akamadake.

"I...I don't know. I just know that the rebellion didn't affect me, and it didn't affect them either. Maybe...maybe they think I'm a threat or something. But that Misty girl....she really turned on her team. I wouldn't mind so much if it was a fair fight, but she was wiping out her team mates even more than she was attacking me!"

"Have you ever seen them before?"

"Yes. They've attacked me several times before actually, but I've never seen that boy we've got in the other room, and I've never seen Misty spazz out like that before."

"Do you think that boy will tell us anything?"

"I guess it depends. I mean, if they were a really close team, he probably wouldn't reveal any of their secrets. But after the leader attacking him like that, maybe his loyalties will change."

"It would be helpful to have someone else on our side."

"His skills are impressive. He's quick, sharp, strong, and he fights with all his heart. The only way Misty caught him was because his guard was down. He'd be a valuable asset to our team."

"True. He'll need a lot of recovery time though. By the time he's back at full strength, it might be too late..."

"I don't know. He seems impressively strong and has a lot of endurance. That Pikachu of his, he shares life force with it. The Pikachu wasn't hurt at all, so that will probably help him heal faster."

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Ash layed on his back next to Pikachu in the tall, soft grass of the field behind Ayaka and Akamadake's little house. He watched as the clouds moved slowly across the cerulean sky.

"Pikachu, do you think that was my last battle? I don't know if I'll ever be able to fight again. I don't know if I'll ever recover."

"Pika pika!! Chu!"

"Thanks Pikachu. I can always count on you to reassure me that things will be okay. I'm just not sure. And I don't want to answer all their questions either. I don't really know who's side I'm on anymore, but I don't wanna give any information to someone who could be the enemy."

"Pi..pikachu...chu chu."

"Yeah, I know they saved my life. I guess you're right. I guess I just have to face whatever comes to me now, and worry about the consequences later. That's what I used to do, and everything always turned out alright. Ever since I started thinking ahead I've screwed everything up."

"Ashton!!! I have some soup for you!!!!"

"Cripe..Ayaka seriously annoys me sometimes. She's always so hyper and cheery and....and she reminds me so much of....of myself...."

Ash sat up and walked slowly into the kitchen. A bowl of steaming hot soup was on the table next to an empty chair. Ayaka sat across the table from Ash's place setting.

"Hey Ash!! How are ya feelin??"

"Umm...okay..."

"Oh...I'm sorry Ash. Don't mind me..I'm just kinda hyper. I guess I try a little too hard to enjoy every moment, to make everything happy, even when it isn't."

"It's...okay. To tell you the truth...I used to be just like you..."

"Really? You don't seem it. You seem so...well..no offense...but you're really dim and blank."

"Gee...thanks. I guess it's been this whole rebellion thing. It's wrecked my dreams."

"But..I don't understand. Pikachu still listens to you. So how has the rebellion affected you?"

"I wanted to be...to be the greatest Pokemon master in the world. There's no one left for me to battle. Except you and Misty and stuff. But it's too dangerous. Misty's almost killed me like twice times in the past week."

"I see. Oh yeah...do you remember when you first woke up..you said something about a dream?"

Ash shook his head. He did remember, of course he remembered, but he still wasn't sure whether to trust Ayaka. Plus, he was awful tired, and really wanted to go back to bed.

"Oh. I guess it figures. You were pretty out of it anyway. It doesn't matter. Just a dream...right?"

"Uh..yeah..."

"Are you done your soup?"

"Uh..yeah..."

"Well...did you like it??"

"Uh..yeah..."

Ash knew he was bothering Ayaka with his monotonous tone, but he couldn't help it.

Akamadake walked into the room. This was pretty much the first time Ash had gotten a good look at him. He looked about twenty years old. He had shoulder length straight black hair and piercing blue eyes. Ash could tell from his aura that he was very strong. He could feel his presence, even before he walked into the room.

"You should get some rest, Ashton. You look tired. Hey! If you want, I can put a mattress outside and you can hang out there. That might be a nice change."

"Sure...thanks."

Akamadake returned minutes later, dragging a mattress behind him.

"Wanna ride?" he asked Ash.

"Huh?"

"Sit on the mattress!"

"Um..okay.." Ash obeyed.

Akamadake dragged the mattress with Ash on it out the wide door and into the field. Ash laughed as the breeze blew his hair back off his face. He was having fun. He was really enjoying himself. Something he hadn't done for a long time.

"You liked that, didn't you?" Akamadake asked.

"Yeah!" Ash replied with an energy in his voice that he hadn't felt in what seemed like millenniums.

"Hey, we're not bad people if you give us a chance! If you're not too tired out, I'd like to talk to you. You don't have to answer anything you don't really want to."

"Well...okay." Ash smiled.

"Good! Well...firstly...I should introduce myself. My name's Akamadake Torotoko. I'm twenty three years old,aka saved my life. Though she has far surpassed me, she still thinks of me as her teacher, and respects me so. That's why she talks to me so formally. But don't worry, you can address me as informally as you'd like. We're friends now!"

"Oh..okay. I guess I owe you some of my information. My name's Ashton Ketchum...which I guess you also already know. I'm eighteen, and I've been a trainer since I was ten too. When I was fifteen, I joined this Pokemon trainer group. It was only for Kanto gym leaders, but I had been good friends with two of them, Misty and Brock, so they let me in. Yeah, Misty. The girl who almost killed me the other day. We were best friends. We'd do everything for each other. I had the best time in the league. Pikachu and I became the greatest team ever. We were so strong. About a half a year before the rebellion I noticed a change in her. She...she just wasn't the same person. She started not caring about me especially, though she was cold towards everyone. And it seemed like she would go out of her way to put me in danger. Like she was trying to hurt me, but in a way no one else could notice she was doing it. When the rebellion began, I decided to leave the league. A few weeks ago though, I received a call from Misty herself, asking me to return. She said she was sorry for everything that had happened between us and she had an idea that she wanted me to hear. So, I went..."

"I see. So this change...it's fairly recent?"

"Uh...yeah.."

"Listen, I know you've not been getting along real well with Ayaka. Would you like to go back in and...talk to her?"

"Sure...I...I guess I haven't really given her a chance. It hurt me...how much she reminded me of myself..."

"It's okay. Anything you don't feel comfortable doing...don't let her force ya!"

"Alright.."

"You don't look too great...do you wanna wait here and I'll go get Ayaka?"

"No! I can go!"

"You shouldn't let your pride damage you. You'll be up and running again faster if you just rest."

"I'm fine!! Can't you see that?? Let's go!!"

"Dang..he is stubborn.." Akamadake thought, and then began talking. "If I was going by what I see I wouldn't let you one centimeter out of your bed, but I've got to give your judgment some credit since you've survived this long around that creep Misty. But please, if you need to rest, please tell me. I...I just...I never want to see anyone as close to dying ever again as you were when I found you." Tears streamed down his face. "It hurt me so much...to see a life so close to disappearing..."

"It's alright. It..it must be hard for you." Ash thought back to his dream. He saw Pikachu, and the other Pokemon. "I know. I've...I've seen it myself."

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

"If I don't show my weakness, if I don't think about it, maybe...maybe it's not there," Ash thought. He repeated those words over and over again in his mind, the phrase echoing in his head with each step.

"We're there Ash..." said Akamadake.

"Yeah..." he replied.

"You know....you're pretty brave and strong and all, but it takes more bravery to admit you can't do something than to go out and do it anyway."

Ash looked back at Akamadake, knowing that he cared about him. He cared about him like a big brother or a father. A kind of caring Ash hadn't felt in a long time.

"You...you're right. I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize to me. Apologize to yourself."

They walked back into the house. Ayaka was still sitting at the table, gazing out blankly, tears in her eyes.

"I don't understand why he hates me so much," she thought to herself. "I mean, I saved his life, but he still treats me like his enemy. I never did anything to him. He still acts like he's on Misty's side, even though she tried to kill him and all. He seems so sweet and caring to his Pokemon, but in people skills, he's seriously lacking."

"Ayaka..." Ash said.

"Ash?"

"Yeah. I...I guess I've been wanting to talk to you."

Akamadake slowly left the room.

"Talk to me?"

"Apologize to you really. I'm sorry I've been such a jerk. I owe you my life, and I've been treating you like dirt. It's just, it's hard to be around you for me. You remind me so much of myself, before the rebellion. So happy, and so appreciative of life. I guess I'm really kind of jealous of you."

"Really? You...jealous? Of me?"

"Yep. I think that's it. I'd really like to try to start over with you. You seem like a nice person, really! So...will ya forgive me?"

"Of course!"

Ash was surprised how easily he had agreed to befriend Ayaka. It was just that he seemed to remind himself of...well...himself..a lot more lately. But he found he almost liked it, being happy again. Maybe this was the way for him. To be that happy hyper Pokemon trainer again. Now he did have someone to train with. I mean, he always had Misty and Erika and the other leaders, but nothing was right with them anymore. Misty seemed to be so...different...

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Ash looked out the window of the room that was now his own. He saw Ayaka picking wildflowers. Her hair was braided loosely and tied with a pale lemon yellow ribbon that matched her knee length summer dress. Ash smiled. Now that he was getting to know her, she wasn't bad at all. She was a lot nicer person than Misty had ever been to him. And..kinda pretty too.

Ash blushed, smiling as Ayaka waved at him.

"Hey Ash! Why don't you come down here?"

He thought for a moment. At first, he felt himself falling into the pattern he had lived in for the past few years, trying to find a way out of it. He could surely find an excuse...but he found that he didn't want to. He wanted to go outside with her.

"Yeah! Sure! Be down in a minute!" he yelled back.

He changed out of his pajamas and into a blue t-shirt and khaki shorts. and dashed down the stairs.

"Hey, slow down Ashton! Don't run into any walls!" Akamadake said with a chuckle. "He's really changed," he thought. "Only a little bit ago, I couldn't get him to say a word, now he's happy again. I wonder what happened?"

Ash slipped on his flip flops and ran outside, the grass still moist with the morning dew. The cool breeze blew his hair back, his long bangs flying out of his eyes and giving him an unobstructed view of the cloudless sky and the horizon pink with flowers. He smiled. Not the grim, stilted smile that was so natural to him now, but a warm, happy smile that made his eyes squint. Warmth surged through him, washing away tiredness and pain and finally making him feel alive again.

Ayaka giggled. He looked like a little kid grinning like that, and his hair stuck up funny from the wind.

"What??" Ash said, silently giggling. "What's so funny??"

"Uh...you?"

"Oh...your hair doesn't look great either ya know...!! Hehe!!"

"Hey. wanna go over to the lake and go swimming??"

"No...it's cold..."

"You suck!! I'm not taking no for an answer!!" she shouted and grabbed him by the arm, dragging him towards the lake beyond a small grove of trees.

"Well...okay...but I'm not known for my luck with water.."

"Yeah?? Mister Big Shot Pokemon Master can't swim?? Heh.."

"Shaddup!!"

Ayaka burst out laughing, and even Ash couldn't suppress his own laughter. They both dashed towards the lake. Ayaka slid off her sandals and her dress, revealing a cropped orange tank top and white shorts. She put her clothes on a patch of grass under a large cherry tree, and dove into the water. The water splashed

"Betcha can't catch me!" Ash shouted before running as fast as he could through the water.

"Betcha I can!" Ayaka shouted, swimming after him. Her body glided gracefully though the water, and she slammed into Ash, pushing him under water.

He pushed himself up, gasping, his hair plastered to his face, but laughing hard. He flicked his hair out of his eyes, and splashed water at Ayaka.

"You're havin a pretty good time for the depressed weirdo that you are!"

"Hey, I wouldn't talk to me like that if I were you!" Ash said before splashing her again.

"And I wouldn't splash me if I were you!" she replied as she splashed him back.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Ash layed on a smooth rock, letting the hot sun dry his body and hair and shorts, while Ayaka was picking more flowers about twenty feet away. He looked up at the sky, cerulean blue and clear as water. He peeled the plastic water protection off the bandages on his chest, and stretched. It was hot enough to want to get back in the water, but he had spent all this time getting dry and didn't want to get wet again. He closed his eyes, his body bathed in warmth, and felt himself fall asleep.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

"Ash!!" Ayaka cried, shaking him. "Ash, can you hear meee?? Oh my gosh...what'll I do..I don't have my phone...I don't..."

Ash opened his eyes. "Huh? Oh..chill out..I just fell asleep. Cripe, and you call me up tight..."

"Hehe..sorrie!"

"No problem. Listen, it's getting awful hot out here, and I'm kinda hungry. Whaddaya say we go back to the house and get some lunch?"

"Sure! Sounds like a plan!"

"I'll race ya there?"

"Yeah...but I'm gonna win!!"

"Wanna bet?" Ash shouted as they both took off sprinting across the field.

Ash grinned as his feet pounded on the hard ground. He wiped sweat out of his eyes and pushed his hair behind his ears. Th

Ayaka narrowed her eyes, focusing on Ash right in front of her. She focused her energy and dashed next to him right in time to enter the house at the same time as him.

"Well, your lucky I'm not in top shape, then I would have beaten ya for sure!" Ash said.

"Sure..." Ayaka responded.

"Hello Ashton! Hello Aya-chan!" said Akamadake. "I'm making some sandwiches. I'll give ya'll some if you go get washed up and put on some clean clothes.

"Sure!" responded Ayaka and Ash simultaneously as they ran upstairs.

Ash splashed cold water on his face and brushed his hair. He went back into his room and pulled on a pair of jeans, leaving his chest bare since he was still hot. He walked back downstairs and sat down at the table, biting into his ham sandwich. Ayaka wasn't downstairs yet.

"So, how are ya gettin along with Aya?"

"Good!" Ash exclaimed, before quickly calming himself down. "I mean..okay.."

"I'm glad! I told ya, you two will be great friends! I can see it!"

"Yeah. I think you might be right.."

"So, where did ya go?"

"We went over to the lake and went swimming."

"Have a good time?"

"Well..water's not exactly my element...but...well...yeah! I guess I really did!"

"That's good."

Ayaka walked into the room. She had obviously spent more time on herself than Ash. Her hair was brushed and kept back with a wide silk headband. She wore a short aqua dress, the same color as her headband.

"Good, you're both here now," began Akamadake. "I actually have something to...tell you. I received a letter today from a certain Misty Waterflower."

Ash gasped and turned pale at the sound of her name. He had just wanted to forget...

"Ash..Ash snap outta it! Are you okay?" Ayaka shook Ash as he stared blankly.

"I'm...I'm fine," he said shakily.

"Are you sure you want me to continue?" Akamadake asked.

"Yeah.."

"Okay. Misty asked weather you're alive or not, and requested a meeting with you if you were still here. I planned to respond and tell her that you don't wish to meet with her and tell her to leave us alone. Is that okay with you."

"No!" responded Ash. "I'll call her, ask her what she wants, and then make my decision."

"Alright, but please, tell me what it is, let me help you make your decision."

"I will..."

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

"Hello? Misty Waterflower here."

"It's me..Ash."

"Oh. Ash."

"You wrote me. Why? Why don't you just leave me alone? What do you want?"

"Everyone has goals, missions, things that they work towards. Let's just say, I need you here to complete my...mission."

"What mission Misty? What aren't you telling me? What's changed so much about you?" Tears were streaming down Ash's face as he yelled into the phone.

"Ash. Please...I just don't know what to say anymore..."

"It's okay Misty. Just tell me.."

"I need...I need to kill you..that's my mission."

"WHAT??? YOU NEED TO WHAT???"

"I've told you too much already. You either come here, or don't worry Ash, I will pay you and that loser Ayaka a well deserved visit."

Misty hung up the phone, and Ash clicked the off button before sliding down to the floor. He closed his eyes, letting hot tears stream down his face. Who had done this to Misty? And what price would he have to pay to change it? Was the price truly...his life...

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Ash could see the image of Ayaka standing out in the field, waving to him. But the fantasy quickly turned to a nightmare as he watched Misty dash in front of her, freeze her to death, and walk happily away. His eyes sprung open.

"Ash! Are you okay?" cried Akamadake. "I know I was the one who was pushing you to get out and do stuff...I guess you weren't ready. I'm..I'm so sorry."

"What...what happened?"

"We found you passed out in the kitchen, the phone in your hand."

"Misty..."

"What?"

"I called her...she told me what she wanted...I'm so scared!" he cried, his eyes welling up with tears again.

"What happened?"

"She..she wants to kill me..."

"Don't worry Ash, we'll keep you safe. Just sleep now."

His eyes stayed wide open. Ayaka walked into the room, and sat down on his bed. She moved her hand gently across his face. He began to open his mouth to speak, but she placed her finger over it before gently kissing him. He turned bright red, and smiled. Ayaka blushed and embraced him.

"It's okay Ash. It's alright. We'll keep you safe. Don't worry...don't worry..."

Ash's eyes closed and he calmed down. He felt his muscles relax, a smooth warmth passing over his body as he fell asleep.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

"You must listen to me!" the harbor manager cried. "The prophets have predicted the return of the winds of water. For years I have prayed, that mankind would never witness, that deadly storm ever again."

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Ash gasped for breath, looking out over an unearthly calm sea. The silence was like music after the deafening roar of water, though it had an eerie aspect to it. Not too far into the distance, a giant structure cast strange shadows on the water. He looked at the building in awe. He had never seen anything of its like.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Ash watched as the Pokemon and their clones pounded each other mercilessly. He propped himself up against the wall of the stadium, still tired after climbing down from the upper floor. Near blinding flashes of light issued from Mew and Mewtwo as they smashe

"What will happen to them?" Ash thought. "They...they're killing each other. How could they do this?"

He watched as the clone Pikachu repeatedly slapped Ash's Pikachu, but Pikachu didn't move even a muscle to defend or attack back.

"Someone's gotta take a stand," Ash began. "Someone's gotta say no! And refuse to fight....just like Pikachu..."

He heard Joy and Misty talking...and the Pokemon's continued attacks, but that seemed only to be in the background. He knew what he had to do. Somehow, he knew what would stop this fighting.

He stood up, and ran with all his might between Mew and Mewtwo. He saw their attacks coming straight at him. They smashed into him. His body was exploding with pain. He felt himself get colder and colder. And then he blacked out.