Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Longing for Adventure ❯ Luck or Talent? First step into new Future. ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Looking around the endless forest wasn't hard, it just seemed plainly obvious that it would take days to cross threw it. My experience has not led me out this far, I had only first left my City. Being a starter Trainer was not easy, there are millions of compatible people in the forest who are itching for a Pokemon Battle and I knew all along that with one Pokemon on my Team, it would be impossible to fight them all. Some might have Bug Types, other Fire Types; maybe I would encounter some Ice Types, who knew?
 
I believed though in my Destiny, I was able to choose it, but only the ways I had been give to choose from. Frome the three possible choices at Pr. Oak's I had picked the first step to one part of my future, was it bright? Was I capable of being a good Pokemon Trainer? It depended all on me, the Pokemon I would encounter on the way threw Kanto could become one of mine or I left them and fought my way threw to Jhoto, maybe even to Hoen. I sighed deeply, my thoughts floated around; I turned around slightly, looking back at my home, Viridian City.
 
One day I would return to take the Indigo Plateau challenge, but would I even come this far. My Pokemon was strong in will, I had seen determination in his eyes, but he was not the normal creature I would have received. I could have had Charmander, Squirtle or Bulbasaur, but none of them suited my, I don't know why, I just didn't like the thought of having the same starter as all the other Trainers, so three other kids took them, one had even received a Pikachu, but I wanted something else, which I received from the Professor, he looked at me worriedly, but I knew I could handle him. Gripping my Pokeball, I knew it would be hard, especially the Gym in Pewter City.
 
“You do realise that this Pokemon needs no more training, but a good Trainer to handle it, …you know…its past,” these words rushed threw my head, the words Professor Oak had said to me while I got my Pokeball. The new Pokedex would come in handy, this sudden thought rushed threw me and there were so many Pokemon to catch and train, where would I start; at Viridian Forest; my first destination. I walked down the steep path, watching that I did not step on any bumpy rocks, I had fallen down here before, but that was years ago. My mind circled, once I came back to my new Pokemon, the other time it rushed back to battling, it went like this the whole day.
 
“I wonder what Gary got,” I thought to myself, “or Maggie, I think she picked Squirtle, what about Steven? Maybe a Charmander, that would suit him down to the ground and Alexis, he surely got Bulbasaur, he loves Grass Types and Poison Types! And Ash, for sure, got Pikachu, I saw him anyway, the small yellow mouse did not seem very happy at all,” I laughed, the picture of Ash dragging his Pokemon towards this place was too amusing to ignore. “When I think of it, I think Gary got the same Pokemon as me,” I said to myself throwing the ball into the air and letting it rip open.
 
The shiny white flash spread from the opening and landed on the ground, secure. The small brown Pokemon materialized and stood before me, his head slightly bent down. “Hey Eevee, how are you,” I asked him, his head still looking at the floor? I bent down to the ground, stroking his soft brown fur, he stiffened, his past was a mystery to me, at least most of it, but the way he had been treated before was a disgrace and planted a deep guilt into my chest. “Hey Eevee, everything will be ok, you will never see her again, I promise to look after you, don't worry, we are friends now and partners,” I spoke softly, not to scare my small Pokemon away, I had actually played with him, but he still held onto his memories.
 
His head lifted and his chocolate brown eyes met my ocean blue ones. I felt sadness in them, pain, grief, this girl had treated him in the most anxious ways and I felt so sorry for him. “Would you…like a nick name,” I asked carefully? He blinked a few times before smiling slightly, he nodded. “That is great, well then, what about Chiro,” I asked him? His eyes fell. “Okay then, maybe,” my thoughts napped around another name, “Sammy, and I will call you Sam for short?” His eyes first stared at me for a second, not understanding then it lightened up a little showing happiness. “Vee,” it spoke to me and nodded.
 
“Right, from now on you are called Sammy and for short Sam, well then Sam, hop on we have to get a move on, I bet with Maggie that I would catch some Pokemon from the way of Viridian to Pewter, and I will not loose to her bet, I will catch more!” My happy voice startled the Eevee shortly before he nodded in agreement. “We are partners right Sam and we will always be together I promise, I will never trade you or treat you wrong,” I told him, a smile plastered on my face. I motioned him to jump on my shoulder, which he did after some serious considering, but he still didn't trust me fully, even if we had known each other for several months, surprised?
 
Walking along with him on my shoulder I felt safe, having a Pokemon can change the way you look at things, I had to care for him from now on, not only battle with him, that was something very serious, but so exciting! Considering the way I wanted to go, I thought sticking to the path was a bad idea, not many wild Pokemon go near a place where a lot of Trainers walk. Getting out a small device I switched it on, it revealed a small map of Kanto which showed me where I was and what lay ahead. No, it was not Poke Gear, they were only obtainable in Jhoto, but a small electrical device I had gotten from my father, he was mechanic and a very good one, he had created some special Pokeball's just for me, he was currently working in Saffron City, in the Silph Scope Company.
 
The Pokeball's were very easy to share into groups. There were three normal red and white Pokeball's he had bought for me. There was one Friend Ball he had given me; he said it would be a bit sneaky if he would give me more. There were two Superball's, the colours blue/ red and white, they looked quite pretty. Of the others I had only received one each, one Lureball, which boosted the chance of catching a water Pokemon, a Fastball, which increased the chance of catching a fast Pokemon, a Heavyball, the black colours looked gloomy, but it was the perfect ball to catch heavy Pokemon with, like Onix or Chansey, even a Snorlax, maybe other Pokemon as well. The next in line was a Moonball, I loved it, the colour was so intense and well prepared, my father had done a great job! Well he did learn from the best at least that is what he said to me.
 
The two last ones I probably will not need in the too distant future, one Levelball and one Ultraball. My Father had always said that many of these balls only existed in Jhoto, but why had they never been transported to this part of the country, were they too expensive? I ignored my own question and noticed that I had been quite for a while, the map still in hands. “Well Sam, it seems like the best way would be near the paths, but far enough away so we can catch or see wild Pokemon,” I told him, his eyes looked at the small excuse of a map, but I could read it, it served its purpose. “I think there are a lot of Bug Types in this forest, but I think I wont let you battle against Poison Types just yet, they are very tricky and can hurt you a great deal,” I told him, he sniffed hard in responds.
 
“Don't worry Sam, if we do meet one, I have Antidote in my bag pack, it won't hurt drinking it,” I told him, thinking about the purple liquid, I would hate the thought of drinking that. “Eev ee vee,” it told me. I didn't know what he had actually said, but a small image floated threw my mind, he was scared. “No, I promise not to push you too far, I am not like her…I hope,” I whispered the two last words, making sure that Sammy couldn't hear them. We continued our silent walk threw the grassy area. “Maybe Sam,” I started, “we will meet the others and we can have a Pokemon battle!”
 
His ears twitched a bit, but he nodded in responds. “Thanks Sam, that really means a lot to me,” I said to him, smiling a bit more, maybe gaining his trust would be not as hard as I thought it would? We passed another tree, as high as the last one; it was getting a bit darker due to thick branches the trees carried. Talking a bit more to Sam we searched the wood lands for Pokemon we could battle or catch, I was quite stunned as I realized that there were not many around, or better, not any at all. “How long have we been walking Sam,” I questioned him, looking at my watch; it had been at least on hour, maybe we had to walk in deeper?
 
The further we walked in, the more helpful I found Sam, I felt much more comfy then without him. A small crackling sound disturbed my thoughts and I gazed up, Sammy doing the same. A burst of white light emerged from the top of a tree branch, revealing a small Butterfly like creature flying away into the skies. “Was that a Butterfree,” I asked before I turned on my Pokedex, Sammy was as curious as I was. Peeking over my shoulder he scanned the picture and writing with his eyes only to sound annoyed. “Should I read it to you,” I asked him, he nodded with a smile. “Okay, this is Butterfree, but I do suppose you know it, it is a butterfly in species and has number 12 as signature in the Pokedex. The machines information about it is: It collects honey every day. It rubs honey onto the hairs on its legs to carry it back to its nest.”
 
I explained to a Pokemon something it never really would understand, but I knew Sammy could, he was very intelligent even for his kind. Pokemon develop a certain understanding in their ages, Sam was one year old and was treated badly from the start, but somehow he overcame his fear and learned to play with me as he got taken in by Professor Oak. He was only 5 months then. Sammy' eyes blinked at the lode of information I had given him, but it quickly turned into a smile, he had understood every word I said. “You know what Sam, I think we will actually need to catch a Caterpie or a Metapod, or even a Butterfree, we are fighting against a Rock / Ground Gym, normal attacks have hardly much of an effect on them.”
 
He nodded understanding the matter. I quickly passed threw the area, knowing full well without a compatible Pokemon I would stand no chance, Sam might be stronger then any Pokemon given to the other Trainer's but he was still not strong enough to fight against a Rock Type, or maybe he was? No, I would not put him threw so much danger, not now and not ever! Shacking my head I went further, not noticing Sammy's confused glance. “We would need a Grass Type or a Water Type, but there aren't many water spots around here, most of them contain only Magikarp. I do not want to own one yet, I don't think I have the strength in coping with a Gyarados yet,” I muttered, but Sam listened and agreed once again.
 
“Does that mean you think I am weak,” I asked him with a grin? He stared at me before smiling back in the same way. “Just you wait,” I joked and he sprung off my shoulder towards the next tree. We ran in circles around the tree, fooling around and letting our depression fly away, maybe that was the right way in Pokemon, not taking everything too seriously, loafing around would be a good idea too in some occasions! We sat on the dry grass; both breathing heavily threw the endless laps we had raced. “You know Sam,” I said looking into the sky; a small shine object passed my gaze, “I wish I could understand every word you said.” My sight became dreamy. “That would be very handy,” Sam replied.
 
My eyes widened shortly. “Did you just say: that would be handy?” “Yes I did,” Sam replied in his high voice! “You can understand me!” I stared at him wide eyed. “I…I can,” I stuttered, “but how, I mean, I never could in the first place!” “Maybe it was just destined to be, just like you got me, you got the ability of understanding my race.” Sammy's face was an expression of happiness and sadness. “I am really glad you can understand me now, but that will mean I can not hide anything from you too well, that is not that handy in another way.” “And what does that mean,” I asked him?! “Nothing,” he quickly replied to me! “OH, SAM!” My voice echoed threw the forest and as I got up I hit my head hard on a tree branch, letting the entire plant shake.
 
That was a great Headbutt, but I can do better,” Sam joked, he seemed happy and friendlier all of a sudden! “You know, for a Pokemon with a hard past you seem very cheerful!” “That is because I believe in your promise, I learned from the very beginning that every Trainer keeps it, even a threat or a punch, they never lie even if it is a promise as cruel as life can be!” “I get that, but it is still spooky, how come I can understand you now?” “Maybe your wish was granted.” Sammy's sentence cleared it up a bit, but who would grant me a wish for free? Had I done something right, or had I done something special?
 
A smooth echo went threw the forest as a blue light emerged and it vanished as fast as it had come. “What was that!?” “I know what it was, but I am not going to tell you, that will stay a secret for a long time.” His words caught my attention fast, but I knew I could never get it out of him. I sighed and once I did so an object fell onto my head, giving me more headaches. “What now!” I screamed the words, feeling very valuable! “A Pokemon just dropped onto your head,” Sam plainly stated. I blinked at him shortly before gazing down at the Pokemon. I blinked even more as I caught the fact that I had never seen any Pokemon like it before.
 
By your expression, you do not know who or what it is,” Sammy laughed! “It is a Bug Type alright, it looks more like a plant piece though,” I muttered while rubbing my head. “Be careful it can Self-destruct,” Sammy told me! “WHAT!!!” I got to my legs, only to loose my balance and fall flat onto my face. My bag pack opened in the process and out rolled a small red Pokeball. It rolled further reaching the fairly big Bug Type. It opened up as it touched the creature and sucked it inside with a gleaming red light. The Pokeball shuck a few times before falling silent.
 
Congratulations, your first Pokemon is caught and it is a …,” before Sammy could finish the sentence a young boy flew by screaming a single name: “PINECO!!!” I stared at him wide eyed. “What is a Pineco,” I asked Sam, he laughed at me: “The Pokemon you just caught,” he responded! I twitched with my left eye, making a panicked expression. “HEY GIRL; TRADE THE PINECO FOR MY POKEMOM, THEY HAVE ONLY BEEN RECENTLY DISCOVERED AND I WANT ONE!!!” His screams must have chased all the wild Pokemon away and I sighed. “Why not, I actually…didn't want to catch it.” He smiled at me and motioned me to follow with a slighter lower voice.
 
Looking at Sam he had his paws over his ears. “Too loud,” he muttered over and over again! This time it was my turn to laugh. “What is it Sammy, can't you take a kids voice,” I told! “Hey you are only 10 years old,” he said back, smiling proudly. I shrugged and picked him up, catching up with the strange boy I had just met…
 
`*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*' *'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'
 
It actually turned out that his name was Wade, a Bug Catcher, at least, that was what he told us. “You only catch creepy Bugs,” I asked him? “You girls, scared of everything that has more then four legs or scythes or giant pincers,” he stated, but that statement was true for me, I was not scared, I just didn't actually like them, I had grieved the first moment I had caught …Pineco. “How come I have never seen one like this before,” I asked him? “They only live in Jhoto, but a ship load brought some Pineco with them to Kanto, they dropped them off here thinking they would not survive for long.” He explained it clearly; human had once more interfered with life and Pokemon.
 
“So, what Pokemon do you have on mind trading to me, I have never traded before.” My question surprised him but he only shrugged. “You see this machine, Bill has created it, it allows Trainers to swap their Pokemon for another, but it keeps its previous name and stats, so take care, this Pokemon is kind of easy going, but the others I have wouldn't obey a Trainer without any experience,” he told me, sounding oblivious. “I get the point Wade, can we trade please,” I pleaded, his presence was slightly annoying, he was still younger then me, but he was so overly active, I could not bare it on this day, it was too much, I felt exhausted and tired, I had never walked so far and never so fast, I thought it would take days to pass threw the forest!
 
Sam yawned slightly. A loud sound echoed threw the Pokemon Centre we had landed in and the trading machine was switched on. “Okay, lay the Pineco into the small dent…uh…what is his name?” I stared at him. “Why do you not pick now?” “That is a deal! His name is Rover!” I fell Anime Style to the ground, with Sam doing the same. “Okay…his name is Rover then,” I blabbered in embarrassment, who would call a Bug Pokemon Rover?! He laid another ball onto the other dent; it was a normal Pokeball with a small grass shaped mark engraved into it. The machine automatically booted up and the balls switched sides. On the screen, I and Sammy saw a funny shaped Pokemon, but we thought nothing of it.
 
After another `bleep' the machine had finished its work. “YEAH I GOT A PINECO!! ALL BOW BEFORE THE BUG CATCHER WADE!!” “I think he is going insane,” Sam muttered into my ear, I nodded frantically. As he had finished his small victory dance he stared at me. “So,” he said. “Yes,” I said lazily? “Don't ya won't to know what Pokemon you just have got,” he asked me. “Well…yes,” I stated to him, I had completely forgotten about that, I had no clue what Pokemon I just had! “Well, he has no name yet, but he does not need one either,” Wade stated looking at his new Pokeball happily.
 
“So boy what is it,” I asked him? “Find out yourself,” he called to me before running away! I stared at him, had I just made a wrong move? “There he goes, boy I am relieved,” Sammy stated. “I am, but something is very fishy about this, why was he in such a hurry?” “I do not have his complex brain,” Sam stated once more. “That explains your higher IQ,” I stated this time. Sammy laughed before nudging me, I should open it. “Okay, okay, be patient!” “We are both not patient!” “That is a point,” I said shortly and pressed the red button on the ball. With a flash of white light a Pokemon materialized.
 
You know, the little symbol on the ball lies like my old Poke friend Drowzee!” Sammy had another point there; the Pokemon did not resemble a Grass Pokemon, but a Water Pokemon. “Okay, what is it,” I asked slightly astonished? “I think it is water,” Sammy told me. “Sam, my brain is not that low in IQ,” I told him, slightly dumbfounded that he actually thought that I couldn't differ between a Grass and a Water Pokemon! He stuck a tongue out to me before falling silent. I took out my Pokedex and scanned threw the information. “Marill, the newly discovered Aqua Mouse Pokemon, its body is covered with water-repellent fur. It can swim through water at high speed without being slowed by the water's resistance.”
 
“It says it is Male, I think we should give him a name.” “If he reacts to it,” Sam murmured. The small blue Pokemon looked around confused before spotting me. “Hey there Marill, I am your new Trainer, I hope we get along!” “I hope so too, but who are you?” “I am Kira Hyamari and you have a name?” “Wow you understand me, alright, I do not have a name yet, but I will accept one from you, even if I am traded like a toy,” he announced to me! “Well, don't worry, I will not trade you, never will, you belong to me now, we are now a trio, I hope though that we will soon expand,” I told them, full of hope, with a water Pokemon on line, the Gym should be a bit easier now.
 
Are you a good fighter,” Sammy asked, “have you fought yet?” “My old Trainer always let me battle when there was a Rock or Ground Pokemon out, or even a Fire Type, no bug can cope with the sort of Types,” he announced proudly. “Good, have you fought against any Gym Leaders yet,” I questioned? “No, not yet, but by the looks of it you want me too,” the Marill stated! “Yep, you are going to battle against Rock Types, I hope you are ready for that,” I told him, smiling. “Of course, I have enough water attacks to defeat any Rock or Ground Pokemon,” Marill bragged. “Yeah sure,” Sammy muttered, “so what about a name now,” he added!
 
“Wait, I think, what about, um…Dynamic?” Marill blinked a few times. “That is alright with me, but do not expect me to be called Rolly later on,” Marill stated! “Na, I think Dynamic suits you very well, you are loaded with power,” I told him, cuddling the small blue mouse. He laughed in return and we made our way towards the exit. Looking around the dull grey City I noticed two large buildings, the Gym and the Museum. “We have not time for sight seeing, let us get the badge and let us get out of here, you still have some Pokemon to catch,” Sammy moaned.
 
“I know, two Pokemon are not many, but a Trainer needs time to adjust Sam.” “By now, even Ash has probably caught more Pokemon then you,” Sam told me, a smirk fell on his face. “And Gary as well, he probably has all Pokemon that are gathered in Viridian Forest and Route one.” I twitched; he was right, very right. “Right after the Gym Battle, a Pokemon catching spree is recommended,” I shot to him, “and you are the Pokemon who will fight all of them,” I added. Sammy's face fell slightly. “That was to be expected,” Dynamic told the Eevee, smirking in the same way he had.
 
With a loud sigh we made our way towards Pewter Gym. The doors swung open as I stepped inside, only to find a small sign. “The Gym Leader…has been replaced?!” All of us shouted at the same time, in disbelief. Looking up we saw a middle aged teen standing on the rocks, he was laughing, loudly. “I am Brock, the sign has been standing there for about two years, but anyway, you came for a Gym Battle, you will get one,” he told them, smiling even more. “The boy is creepy, especially the way he is looking at you freaks me out,” Dynamic told us, going back a few steps.
 
With a burst of white light a small, but strong Geodude shaped, it roared quietly in its own language, which I understood as `I am ready!'. Looking at Dynamic he nodded, jumping out onto the field. “This will be a two on two battles Miss,” Brock called out, his voice sounding more mature then before! “Fine with me…uh…Brock,” I told him, shouting a bit louder! He smiled and ordered a Rock Throw. “Dynamic, try evading the rocks,” I called to him, then something caught me off guard, this was my first Pokemon Battle! The small blue mouse jumped from side to side, but was too slow to avoid all of them.
 
Dynamic twisted in the air as another rock hit him. He cried out quietly before snapping his eyes open and shooting a stream of blue and white liquid towards the foe. Geodude blinked once before the attack struck him, sending him flying into the walls of the arena. The Rock Type fell backwards and landed head on, literally said. The Pokemon's eyes looked twisted and he was surely down. “That was number one Dynamic and it actually went quite fast,” I called to him, proud that I had won my first fight with a new Pokemon! The Marill posed, proud of his victory as a red beam of light sucked the fainted Geodude inside, that was too easy to be true.
 
Another flash of white light emerged and a giant rock like snake roared even louder then the Geodude, he too was saying the same thing. “Wow, an Onix,” I stated to myself, Sammy gulping. Dynamic had gotten a slight shock, he hadn't expected a huge opponent! “Onix bind!” The call was done, the huge body moved towards the small mouse, trying to catch it with its tail, but every time the Onix had caught it, the Marill escaped its grasp, due to the liquid that spread across his whole body. Another Water Gun was launched on the Rock snake, sending it into the side of the arena, like it had the Geodude. With a high jump, Dynamic started to roll, as the time faded he became faster and shot across the field landing a direct hit on the Onix.
 
The Rock Type flew across to the other side of the field and fainted as it impacted on the wall. Brock stood there, he had been amazed with the attack, so amazed he had forgotten to launch another attack. Snapping out of his daydream he recalled the Onix in disbelief. “You have fought well Trainer, but I doubt that I will forget that, the other boy who came here was too weak to win against my Onix with only a Pikachu.” I stared at Brock as he gave me the boulder badge. “You mean Ash Ketchum has been here,” I questioned? “Yes, do you know him?” “He got his first Pokemon on the same day I did,” I told him. He nodded. “It seems like you had the surprise of moment, I did not expect such a powerful Water Gun from such a small Pokemon. But nerveless I lost; I will return to my training…do you want to go on a date with me?”
 
The question nearly sent me back flying. “No thank - you Brock I have to continue towards Mount Moon, I heard there are some really elusive Pokemon there, well see you,” I told him as I recalled my two Pokemon, letting them jump in surprise before they were recalled. I ran out of the Gym and soon landed in the Pokemon Centre, letting them out again, they looked at me angrily. “You did well Dynamic,” I told him, patting him on the head. “I know, the Onix was no match for me at all, I have fought loads of times against such things,” he announced again! “Don't blow yourself up! I still think the Onix was poorly trained, he must have first become a Gym Leader and the sign was an utter lie!” Dynamic and Sammy fought a mental battle staring at each other. “I think,” I began, “it is time to heal.”
 
*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'* '*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'
 
My first night in the Pokemon Centre was alright, it was very comfy as well. Dynamic and Sammy had learned to communicate without showing off their skills, but that did come in good use, the attacks were practised and therefore more accurate. Leaving the Centre behind, I recalled Dynamic and continued my way towards Mount Moon. “Do you have everything you need,” Sam asked me, he was back on my shoulder? “Yes, all Potions, all everything, we will be safe, I actually just want to catch Pokemon,” I told him excitingly! “I can imagine, but do me one favour,” he said. “Yes,” I asked suspicious?
 
Would you catch a Clefairy, I really would like to meet one,” he chirped. “Why that?” “They are soooooo cute!” I nearly fell Anime Style once again, but remained stern. “Whatever,” I told him before continuing my way towards the next challenge, or was it something else I was searching for?