Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Longing for Adventure ❯ My friend. ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

I sat in the cafeteria of the Pokemon Centre, my Pokemon with Nurse Joy. I read threw the morning paper I had achieved threw a young woman on the counter; the headlines were all about Kathy the `Mysterious Rocket Trainer'. It seemed like the news makers wanted her to be a hero and not a villain like she actually was. She had hurt several people after all and had even stolen some Pokemon, but how can you steal Pokemon from their Trainers? I actually thought that was impossible, had Team Rocket created Pokeball's that actually caught Trainer's Pokemon? And if so, I hoped none of my friends had encountered them yet.
 
Settling down minutes later with a cup of coffee and some toast, I scanned the Pokemon Centre information lists. They were hanging above me, lining up jobs. I read threw the first one, which offered you a fine job in a Restaurant. The other one actually gave information away on being the next Gym Leader for Lavender Town, which needed one very soon. I shrugged lightly, knowing it would take me a long time to achieve such standards. Being a Gym Leader is something many can do, but they have to have the right skills and Pokemon, so actually nothing for me, yet.
 
I gulped down the last piece of toast before finishing off my daily doses of caffeine and jumped up. I ran threw the next double glass doors and rushed threw the Pokemon Centre to stop at a brown desk, which Nurse Joy sat behind in. “Oh, Kira right? Your Pokemon are doing fine, your Marill should be healed by now,” she told me with a smile. I nodded, relieved that Dynamic was alright. “Can I please collect them, I want to battle the Cerulean Gym Leader and earn the Rain Badge,” I told her. “You can collect your Pokemon, but I am afraid the Gym will be shut for another day. The Gym Leader has shortly abandoned her Gym and is on a journey, but you could ask one of the three sisters to battle you if you want the badge desperately,” she explained to me.
 
My shocked expression was enough for her, to understand that I was more then disappointed from the information she had gladly given me. “Wait just a second; I will collect your Pokemon.” I stood there for at least another five minutes, the words racing threw my mind rapidly. “And how will I get all eight badges now,” I questioned myself? “I don't actually want to go off the traditional Route.” As Nurse Joy returned she handed over five Pokeball's, one of them empty as I saw Dynamic resting in her arms. “Are you okay Dynamic,” I questioned my smiling Pokemon? “I am fine, just a bit in pain, that is all,” he told me, motioning towards his back. I sighed, relieved once again.
 
I called him back soon, after a short conversation and released Sammy. He was glad seeing me looking alright and jumped back onto his usual place, my right shoulder. I spoke with him while we went outside of the Poke Centre, usually about casual things and about the newspaper. He nodded sometimes, but soon started to talk like a waterfall. “You know, being with you makes me feel special,” he told me. “And why,” I asked, my eyes slightly twitching, I knew something was about to come. “Because I am probably the only valuable Pokemon in your Team!” I stopped and blinked a few times before starting to laugh. “What?! Was it something I said!?” “No, nothing, okay, just forget about it,” I told him, picturing a fake smile, inside I was cringing with laughter.
 
I quickly found his personality amazing and innocent, even if he did like to pick up a fight, he was just a small Pokemon with mischief going threw his head. Walking up to another path, a huge sign hung down from one of the buildings, showing the words `Nugget Bridge ahead'. I blinked a couple of times before passing it, the black letters still stung out from the fair distance as I realised soon. I walked on; crossing a few fields with wild Pidgey's and Spearow's crossing my path. We battled a few wild Pokemon and I managed to evade some Trainers on the way, but some were just too stubborn to take no as an answer.
 
Walking threw more grass land we stumbled over some wild Meowth, they were cute to look at, but somehow they seemed aware of everything that was going on around them, wary about anything that passed their ways. I smiled at them, making them stare at me and Sammy, one even answered with `good day', I was amazed! Pokemon had actually pride in them when it came to their territory, their fur shining with the sun burning down on them, yes Pokemon are wonderful creatures with amazing abilities and techniques for staying alive and healthy.
 
Sliding down a hill, we quickly spotted someone in the distance and I was glad that we did. I walked closer towards her greeting her as I always did. “Hello Maggie, what are you looking for?” She twisted her head towards me, smiling as she recognised my face and features threw the blinding sun. “KIRA,” she shouted out loud, letting Sam quiver in fear! My expression suited his and she tackled me, hugging me to death on the floor. “So Kira, how's everything been going, caught a lot of Pokemon? I have about ten in my position now,” she chirped happily and proudly! “That is great Maggie, but would you stop hugging me…breath…short,” I choked the last few words as she squeezed me harder, but she did let go in the end.
 
“So, how is your little Eevee doing, seems like he is fine, he looks kind of healthy and happy,” she told me, eyeing my Pokemon with interest. “Yeah, he is doing very well, he is enjoying himself on the journey,” I said to her, patting him on the head slightly. “You could do that more often you know,” he told me happily! “Maybe if we meet more people, I will, depends on how well you do in battling,” I told him, getting an angry stare from him, “What now,” I asked? “I am always good in battle,” he stated to me! “Who said you weren't,” I asked, a grin spreading on my face? He blinked before realizing he had fallen into a trap. “Kira, you are talking to your Pokemon as if you actually could understand every word he says,” Maggie stated to me. “Well, I can, but it is sometimes hard, even Pokemon have dialects,” I responded to her.
 
“Hey cool! I would love to understand mine, which ones have you caught, and how many, I am dying to know,” she changed her subjects fast, crossing my ability to talk to Pokemon with which ones I had caught? “Well, you know Sammy; I only have four more, my Marill Dynamic, my Vulpix Nika, my Horsea Scarlet and my friend Karo an Oddish.” “You have an Oddish? I only caught a Bellsprout about an hour ago, that was my tenth Pokemon and I did pick Squirtle at the beginning, but I think you have already guessed that,” she stated; I nodded to her last words. “And in my team I have a Pidgey, a Butterfree, a Sandshrew, a Nidoran female and a Vulpix aswell, but all without nicknames…what is a Marill?”
 
The question surprised me and it took me a while to answer her. “A Marill…well…it is a small mouse…like a Pikachu and ….uh…is blue…is a Water Type, has a white round stomach…has a small ball attached to its very thin tail…,” I tried to continue but Maggie was faster in words then I could ever be. “Just show it!” I nodded in responds once again before opening my second Pokeball, Dynamic was happy to jump out. “Are we fighting, come on let me at anything!” I sighed loudly to his comments, he was after all, still injured, even if most of his wounds had been treated and healed. “Dynamic, this is Maggie, she is one of my friends from Pallet Town,” I explained to him, he smiled and gave her a short welcome.
 
Maggie stared at the Pokemon for a short time. “He is bandaged?” “Yes, I met one Rocket Grunt and she was kind of harsh.” “You met Kathy too?” “Yeah, that was her alright, did you meet her?” Maggie was quiet for a time. “Well yeah, she stole my Onix I had caught in Mount Moon. I used it against her but she threw this black and red Pokeball into the air. I think the red colour was the R sign on their shirts.” “But as I met Kathy she wore her usual outfit, a blue top with a long white skirt.” “I know, but as I met her a few other Team Rocket Grunts stood behind her, all telling her to fight me, I just don't know why she joined them, they looked so…so…,” she stopped in the middle and I stared at her for a short time.
 
“Are you okay?” She looked up at me. “Its okay, it is just, the ball I used to capture my Onix with, it was the one my father had especially ordered for me from Jhoto, it was a black ball aswell and he added it would be the best ball to catch heavy Pokemon…but it got smashed. As the Rocket Pokeball hit mine, my ball just crumbled…it was so…strange and it…felt so unreal.” “I know how you feel, I think I was lucky that I still have Dynamic, but her Pokemon, the Persian, it seemed so out of place, brainwashed or something, it said this really weird sentence,” I told her, recalling the short words the Persian had muttered under licking its paws. “I heard Pokemon used by Team Rocket get some sort of training …that they somehow change in behaviour.”
 
“That sounds really spooky,” I stated, more afraid then ever. “If we are lucky, we will never meet them again and my Onix, I will never see it again…soon at least, I hope they don't use him for something evil.” “They first need to train him properly, if I am guessing right, you only had him or her for about one or two days.” “It was a she and yes I had her for two days.” “Well then, we can't change the past can we now,” I said, trying to change the subject. “I guess so, but it would be quite cool, I heard some sort of Pokemon could do that,” she told me, digging threw her brain, trying to find the answer to the Pokemon's name, “I think it was a Psychic Type, but most legends are anyway.” “Hey Maggie, what are you actually doing out here?”
 
“Me? I am searching for wild Pokemon, you know, the kind that are soft and cuddly, I already have a Meowth, caught it a few hours ago before the Bellsprout.” “So that is why the Pokemon looked so wary, you had caught one of their group mates before hand.” “I think that would be right!” “Anyway, have you seen anything special around here, I would like to add more Pokemon to my collection.” “Well Kira, what about battling me first, I think that could be quite cool,” Maggie told me, staring at me with determination, that was actually very rare with her? “Sure why not; what about a three on three battle, is that okay with you,” I asked her? “Fine with me, but no Pokemon changes, right?” “Fine, so come on, let us battle!”
 
One Pokeball twisted into the air before a Pidgey entered the ring. Its feathers spreading as it hovered before its Trainer. The small thing looked quite formidable and was well trained for a freshly caught Pokemon. I smiled slightly and ordered my Eevee into the battlefield. Sammy smiled and jumped off my shoulder, running into the middle, the Pidgey, flying and hovering inches above, ready to strike at any time, this could be, very hard. “Right Sammy, let us start, try Tackle!” My order was obeyed; Sam struck the surprised bird as it failed to notice the sudden leap. Maggie was in shock for a short time before she retaliated, telling her Pokemon to do a Gust attack! The small bird chirped a few times before its wings started to flap harder and faster.
 
A small whirl wind combined like a small tornado and rushed for Sammy, he was staring at it, waiting for a command which fell an instant later. He dashed to the side, letting the little tornado pass. He smiled but soon got surprised by a swift Quick Attack from the Pidgey. He fell backwards, landing flat on his back. He stood up and was greeted by another Tackle from the Pidgey. He flew up in the air striking the hard ground as he landed. “Sam, use Quick Attack that might help!” He japed once before pushing himself up and evading another Tackle attack. He growled low, frightening the small bird slightly, which stopped in its tracks. Sammy smiled shortly before he launched his own Quick Attack.
 
The small Pidgey evaded the first couple of tries, but couldn't move from the last one. It got taken aback from a following Body Slam and landed on its stomach, on the ground. “Pidgey, try to get up!” Maggie's call reached the helpless bird, but it was too exhausted from the speed and battle, and so, fainted on the spot. “Seems like Sammy has won the first round,” I told her, grinning sheepishly! “It has, but that doesn't mean he will win the next round,” she announced and recalled her fallen friend. Another twist of a red Pokeball made its way and Squirtle approached. The light skin made it clear that it still was very young, but never the less, even young Pokemon can be powerful.
 
“Sammy, return,” I told him, he shrugged and jumped back onto my shoulder. “Kira recalling him means you can't use him anymore,” Maggie protested, I nodded. “It does, but I think I can relay on him anyway,” I told her throwing one of my own Pokeball's in the air. Dynamic looked at me, disappointed. “What about me,” he protested this time! “When your wounds are fully healed, Nurse Joy said it would only take a few days.” “A few days to long,” he argued, I sighed. A flash snapped me back to the battle and Karo stood there, full aware from his opponent. “You choose an Oddish, cool, he looks cute!” “I know, but he can fight, come on Karo; use Razor Leaf!” “Squirtle, try to Tackle it!”
 
The battle unfolded once again and the two Pokemon attacked each other, one with a powerful blade attack and the other with a hard shell. The Razor Leaf hit once, the other two blades got evaded. The Squirtle was faster then I had actually thought and soon had caught Karo off guard. My small Plant Type was thrown into the air and landed on its back, trying desperately to get up. “Come on Karo, get up!” He struggled and before he knew it a Water Attack struck, sending him skidding on the ground towards a hard stone surface. He shrieked in pain and I somehow started to panic. “Squirtle, try Body Slam!” I heard the attack, but could not think of any retaliation. I was lucky though. Karo evaded the attack with great difficulty.
 
I frowned loud once before telling my Pokemon to use a Stun Spore. Maggie gulped once as a thick powder of small Spores flew over her Squirtle. The substance landed on his skin and the small turtle like Pokemon stood still, shock frozen threw the paralyzing effect. Maggie groaned and quickly told her Pokemon to use Water Gun. I blinked a few times, not knowing what she meant. The blue Pokemon nodded and tried with all effort to move, but a sharp Razor Leaf attack knocked it down, sending it flying towards the ground, just like it had Karo before. The Squirtle was down, his eyes spinning in irritation.
 
“How can a Water Pokemon loose against a Grass Pokemon,” Maggie questioned? I looked at her in shock. “Maggie, you do know Grass Pokemon have an advantage over Water Types.” “No they don't they, have an advantage over Fire Types!” I blinked confused before noticing her face changing. “You are right, I made a mistake, Water is weak against Plant, sorry.” “Why, you just got carried away by the battle, your thoughts racing away, I did the same mistake with my Horsea Scarlet, I let her fight a Pikachu,” I told her, her face lit up. “What about the last Pokemon,” she asked? I looked at her. “You mean you still want to continue, even if you have already lost?” “Why not, it is experience and I have won often enough before!”
 
I smiled at her friendly and upstanding attitude; it was great to hear she didn't actually care about her loss, which is rare around some Trainer's. She threw her Pokeball at the same time I did and two red fur balls stood in front of each other. Mine had a slightly darker toned fur then usual Pokemon and her Vulpix looked nearly yellow red, strange but cool, unique. “Okay Vulpix, our turn, let us beat the crap out of that one,” she told her Pokemon, laughing as she did so. “Just you see and wait who beats the crap out of whom!” Nika yowled once in agreement, while the other Vulpix seemed not to listen. “Okay Vulpix, Quick Attack!” No responds. “Come on Vulpix; try at least to obey me!” No reaction, Maggie sighed and frowned. “Come on Vulpix, return,” she gestured before I stopped her, my Vulpix Nika, confused.
 
No battle,” she questioned me, disappointed!? “I am afraid not,” I told her, stroking her delicate fur. She smiled in glee and happily lay down onto the grassy field, my sitting beside her and soon Maggie joined, her Vulpix cleaning itself beside her. “Since I have this Pokemon, it won't obey me, I don't know why, but he is just too stubborn to do anything I say!” My Vulpix glanced around to him, interest glowing in her dark brown eyes. “Maybe you could try…and talk to him,” Maggie said, pleading with her big green orbs. I nodded and turned my attention towards the male Vulpix. “Hey there Vulpix, why aren't you obeying your Trainer,” I asked, not knowing if it would respond? It did not.
 
My Vulpix walked towards it, prodding it and talking to him. He turned his attention to her, and she started to ask. He though just stared at her for a while, confusion spreading across his face. “What,” he shouted, “what did you say, I can't hear you!” My face turned pale, was this small Pokemon death? “I think Maggie, you should bring it straight to the Pokemon Centre,” I stated to her! “And why, is something wrong?” “Well, I think…the reason it doesn't answer to your commands is…because it could be death…
 
ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß
 
Returning to the Pokemon Centre we told Nurse Joy our current situation. “Well, it could be, but I doubt that such a small Pokemon can become death, I think its ears are blocked up, that happens occasionally with young Pokemon who don't clean themselves properly behind the ears.” I stared at the Pokemon, some sort of disgust tracing my expression. Maggie just laughed nervously; she too had awaited something far more complicated then that. “Give the Pokemon to me, I will wash out his ears, don't worry it wont take long at all,” Nurse Joy told us, her face breaking into a smile, I somehow knew she was avoiding a laugh. Our expressions probably amused her to no end.
 
We let her take in all our Pokemon, healing them. I watched as she went threw a glass door and turned on a strange looking metal object. The machine blinked a couple of times before five Pokemon emerged, my Pokemon. They seemed happy and refreshed. The Nurse then studied all of them with care before the machine automatically recalled them into their Pokeball's, then the other five of Maggie got checked threw, while Vulpix waited in the hospital room for his treatment. It didn't even take ten minutes and Nurse Joy returned placing five of my Pokeball's in front of me on a small silver tray. I thanked her for such a quick heal and she laughed. Maggie received her friends shortly after, with her Vulpix smiling at her.
 
“Hey there Vulpix, alright now,” she questioned the small fox Pokemon? It nodded with a happy smile. Maggie cheerfully cuddled her Pokemon, happy about the sudden difference. “Thanks Kira, I nearly thought he hated me,” she told me, stroking his delicate fur. “Did you? I thought it looked …out of line actually, it seemed so zoomed out,” I replied, both of us smiling at each other. I quickly released my Eevee Sammy, who was glad for some fresh air. “So Kira, what are we going to do now with the Gym shut until tomorrow,” Sammy asked? “Well, what about going back out towards Route 4 and catching some Pokemon their,” I questioned him?
 
Maggie looked at me slightly confused, but soon cottoned on to whom I was actually talking to. She smiled secretly once more delighted about my ability. “So what did you say to him,” she asked me, mischief glinting in her eyes? “Well, I said we could go towards Route 4, see if we could catch any cool Pokemon.” “And what did her reply?” “He said, sure why not and so we are going to go.” “Can I come?” “Of course you can, I actually wanted to ask you right now.” “Well then let us go now!!” She dragged me out of Poke Centre, me waving towards Nurse Joy, who was suppressing a laugh. Maggie tore me towards the Route and was full of words, as if she had to say all at once. I sometimes answered with a Yes or a No, but keeping up with her questions I ended up nodding my head.
 
“So Kira, we are here, what do we do?” “What about, looking for Pokemon?” “Eh…sure…sorry about that, it was a really stupid question, I am just so excited! I love catching Pokemon!” Her cheery attitude made me forget my anger about the situation before and I quickly scanned my map for any useful information. “It seems a lot of Pokemon live here, some Ground Types might show their faces and if we would go fishing that would give us some more chances, but we always could go back to Mount Moon.” “I do not think so! I do not like that dark and dull place, it scares me to hell, which is how I caught a Zubat, twisting the Pokeball into any direction.” “What do you mean,” I asked, slightly irritated?
 
“Well, a whole bunch of these creatures came flying towards me and I screamed the place down, of course, confusing them. They flew about out of control before I threw a Pokeball that was destined for a Geodude, oh well, caught one of them instead,” she mumbled, not happy about her catch. “If you want to become a great Pokemon Trainer, you have to respect all Pokemon, not just looking at their appearance or values. It is just …kind of…sad actually.” “Hey, I did not mean it like that, they just scared the s*it out of me!” “Maggie, your language,” I stated bluntly! Sammy laughed in the background before I stared him down. “Do not ever think of using that word Sammy, hear!” He nodded frequently, not wanting to annoy me too much.
 
We continued our small expedition threw the first part of Route 4, searching for Pokemon everywhere. We came across a few Bellsprout and Pidgey, even a few Bug Types, but both of us only battled them. Both our interests concentrated more in earning the badge from Cerulean City then capturing more Pokemon, but we needed the training, so we gladly accepted the Pokemon we met on our way threw. Most Pokemon Trainer's start off their collection with a variety of Types, but not training them can end your trail fast. As for my five Pokemon, I wanted them in shape for the Gym Challenge tomorrow. Maggie on the other hand, her Pokemon seemed already very strong, especially the Nidoran female, it was bursting with energy. I was very surprised at the amount of power her creatures already possessed and tried my best to equal our standards.
 
The hardest battle I can recall was the one fight against a Beedrill. It didn't matter what we threw against it, it always managed to recover fast. Its speed was at high levels, but Nika didn't back in and in the end, her Ember Attacks and Quick Attacks brought her victory. Maggie's Squirtle was the most fascinating Pokemon to look at while battling. It automatically retreated into its shell if danger approached to fast and in most cases that helped a great deal. The power and accuracy of its attacks were spectacular for such a young Pokemon, but even Sammy had such powers, maybe they received them threw breeding the correct Pokemon together.
 
As the sun began to set, we trailed off, back to the Poke Centre, receiving a room for the night. We released all our Pokemon in our room and settled down after feeding them the right food. “Why are you mixing human food with Poke chow,” Maggie questioned me, watching me intense as I mixed the foods together? “Well, a young male on Route 104 told me to mix berries and all sorts of things to Poke chow, so I am trying it out, at least that is all I can think of,” I replied truthfully. She nodded her head, believing me and wondering if she should do the same, I smiled at her confused and thoughtful face. “What about this, I found out that Scarlet here,” I stroked her small frame lightly, “likes bread mixed into her food, she adores it!”
 
Maggie blinked a few times before asking me for some advice, which I did give, but with care. She handed her small Pidgey some food mixture from Scarlet, who gazed at me with a sulky face. I comfort her in saying a few calm words about friendship and sharing. Scarlet looked at me, still with the same gaze and questioned me about the subject; I gladly explained to her what I meant. “Does that mean I am friends with Pidgey,” she asked me? I looked over to the Pidgey and it looked up to me. The bird like creature heard Scarlet's question and flew beside her. “We are friends now if you like, your food was delicious, I thank you for sharing it with me,” the Pidgey answered politely. I was very surprised about the good behaviour the Pidgey kept and stroked Nika beside me.
 
Maggie fed her Pokemon while I mixed fruit and vegetable to the food, her Pokemon smiled at my creation. “You know Kira, you are probably the best food maker for Pokemon there is!” “Maggie, I only try out, and that the Pokemon like it doesn't mean that I am the best, it just means that I hit their tastes right.” She nodded once again to my reply and smiled at her young Vulpix, he was finally taking notice of her as Trainer. “After a day of training he seems surer of himself,” I told her, stroking Sammy with my left hand. “What about your Vulpix…I mean Nika, she is very thoughtful.” “She likes battling that is all; her mother was captured by Gary not too long ago.” “You mean that boy, the grandchild from Professor Oak?” I nodded to her question.
 
“Geez, I heard he already has all eight badges!” “I doubt that, nobody can travel that quick and beat so many Gym Leaders at once.” “You might be right, but I still find him better then anybody else, he was so calm in our first battle.” “You battled Gary Oak?” “Yeah, his Eevee was mighty, as if he had trained the small thing all his life!” “Well, Eevee's are very strong in Physical attacks; they are not weak against special attacks, not much at least.” “Maybe that is why I lost, I only used Water Gun and Tackle and I forgot the rest of the attacks.” I fell dumbfounded on the floor to that statement.
 
“What?” “I think you are a very good Trainer, your Pokemon like the way you train them and they have …sympathy with you as well!” “What does that mean?” “……That means they like you for who you are not what you shall become or must achieve,” I stated bluntly. Her face changed into a blank stare and I sighed, getting threw to her was like talking to a brick wall; nice and thick in some occasions…
 
ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß
 
We woke up near the afternoon, meaning we had overslept half the day! I was up in a flash, shaking the dreaming girl. “I choose….what….WHAT!” Her voice echoed threw the room and caused all our Pokemon to wake up. “We have to get to the Gym and we have to get our dinner now get up before the day is over,” I told her calmly, walking towards the bathroom. “I had the most wonderful dream and you had to wake me up,” she winged! “Were you dreaming of winning the World Champion ships,” I questioned her? “Yeah, how do you know that?” “Because every Trainer does,” I replied simply. She frowned and slowly got to her feet.
 
We quickly got ready and ate our dinner and soon we were standing in front of the Gym, ready for anything, I wonder what lurks behind these massive wooden doors. Maybe future could tell me…