Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Longing for Adventure ❯ A Surprise and Shock to remember. ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

We crossed a few paths, encountering more Pokemon than I had actually hoped for. “Nika, use Ember!” My new Pokemon, Vulpix, was in a middle of a battle, her coat shone under the sunny sparks of the day, which made her all so beautiful to look at, Sam had made a good choice. Nika opened her mouth, a small flame ball forming before it got shot towards the enemy, a Butterfree. The Pokemon squealed shortly at the flaming sensation that went threw its now overheated body and it fell towards the ground, landing behind a small bush. “Quick Kira, try to catch it,” Dynamic called to me! I nodded and took out my last remaining red Pokeball and tossed it towards the bush. A bright light emerged, sucking the Pokemon into it and flying back to my hands unharmed.
 
Didn't it try to retaliate,” Sammy asked, confusion spreading on both our faces? Nika blinked a couple of times before approaching us with an equal confused expression. I stared at my new Pokeball, shrugging before I heard a loud chirpy noise behind the bush. The Butterfree flew out of it, speeding up to get away, heavy burn marks around its left wing. “Did I do that,” Nika asked shocked?! “It seems like you have become much stronger then you thought,” I said shortly before noticing something. “Eh, if that is the Pokemon we just battled, what did we actually catch?” All three of us looked at each other before my Pokedex bleeped once again. I quickly examined the data and came to a conclusion what we had just caught.
 
So Kira, what does it say about our…new Team mate,” Sammy asked? Nika looked at me questioningly. I blinked a few times before I actually started to speak. “Well, he is male and is a Grass Type and Poison Type,” I told them slowly, letting the information ride threw my head. “Is it a Bulbasaur,” Sammy asked me? I only shook my head. “Well what is it then,” Nika questioned me? “It's an Oddish,” I said plainly, both of them stared at me shocked. “A Grass Type, how on earth did you catch that so easily, he would have fought some how,” Dynamic shot at me!! “Well then, let us find out then why,” Nika plainly stated towards Dynamic staring at him sternly. “What are you staring at me for?” “You are too impatient, that is not good for a Pokemon.” “And why?” “Because it can have outcomes in battle, maybe that is why you lost so often.” Sammy and Dynamic went quiet, seeing some truth in her words.
 
I shrugged slightly and released the small Plant Pokemon, noticing something very unusual. “Is that thing sleeping,” Sammy questioned, laughing while he asked? “It seems like it, Oddish usually only come out in the night, that is why we never see them around so often,” Nika spoke, wisdom emerging from her words. “You are quite clever for a young Vulpix,” I told her, smiling warmly. “Well, I did learn a bit from my mother,” she told me. “And who was your mother?” “She was a lovely Ninetales, but she got captured not too long ago by a boy with brown hair and purple like top, his shorts or trousers looked the same colour as the earth, he was really good in Pokemon, but he only had an Eevee with him,” she answered me. “I know who you mean, I think it was Gary, but capturing a fully evolved Pokemon, how did he do that?” “I think it was because he had a Ground Pokemon, the small thing was really powerful!” “But he had only started when I had,” I protested against all wills!
 
It seems like he is a very talented Trainer,” Nika told me, “but don't worry, everything needs time, maybe it was just luck, but the ball he used was an Ultra Ball anyway.” I frowned in frustration, Gary had already past. “But it did seem like he was not heading towards Cerulean City,” Nika added. “No? Maybe he went another way, but that will do fine, I do not want to battle him actually yet.” Threw our conversation the small Oddish woke up, blinking at us as he saw our faces. “What,” he asked drowsy? “Hey look, the plant is awake,” Sammy announced! We looked at the Dual Type Pokemon while he came back to his senses. The Oddish quickly jumped up and tried to run away before it actually stood still and turned around. “You have caught me haven't you,” he asked a bit depressed?
 
All four of us nodded. He sighed loudly before returning back to our side. “Why, aren't you happy,” I asked him? “No it is not that, but I would have liked to fight first.” “So then Oddish, I am Kira,” I told him shaking one of his three leaves, changing the subject really fast. “That is a nice name and I get the point that you can understand every word I say,” he responded to me, smiling shyly. “Yes I can understand you, I do not know why though,” I told him letting go of his small petal. “So small guy want a nickname,” Sammy asked, fully aware of the Grass Type? “Yes, why not, but actually a Pokemon already has a name while it lives in the wild,” it replied to Sammy, who stared at it shortly before understanding. “You do, what is your name then,” I asked? “It doesn't matter now, due to the fact that you caught me we wild Pokemon loose our names and wait for new ones,” it explained to me.
 
You mean you forget,” Sam questioned? Both, Nika and Oddish nodded. “Why, didn't you have a name,” I asked the small Eevee, who was currently standing on my shoulder? “No, I was born in a Pokemon Centre where I met my first Trainer Kathy,” he told me, wearingly watching my expression. “And she didn't give you a nickname,” he shook his head? I sighed shortly, wanting to forget the subject quickly and made up my mind in what I should call my now captured Pokemon. The Oddish looked at me, waiting for a sample. “What about Leaf,” I asked; he shook his head in disagreement. “Well then, Karo would be a nice name, what do you think about that?” Oddish thought a moment before nodding. “That will do fine, I quite like the name Karo, it sounds unique,” he told me, smiling happily at me.
 
I smiled back, recalling Nika, Dynamic and Karo to their Pokeball's, later on I would talk to my Oddish, getting to know it better. I continued with Sammy talking to me, he was a very talkative Pokemon, with lodes of questions on his mind, some I could answer and some I could not. We approached a young man; he was standing near a tree, playing with a leaf in his hand, looking very bored. As I and Sammy got closer he looked up, smiling. “Hey, are you a rooky Trainer,” he asked me? I nodded slowly, not knowing if he would actually challenge me to a battle. “Well, I am one of the three sellers around here, you are really lucky; this Route is the only one we ever go to, now what would you like to buy? After Mount Moon you must be famished and tired?!” He kept on blabbering, showing us what he had actually got. “Do you always wait for Trainers around here,” I asked, eyeing him with suspicion?
 
“We are around here because the Town of Cerulean City wanted us to, it is still a two day trip from here and by the time Trainers actually reach this far they are half dead, their Pokemon tired from all the battling, so we thought, why not, gets us a job!” I nodded, agreeing, it was a good idea, kind of, but Trainers not passing this spot would miss the opportunity. I searched threw the canny large selection, buying another bunch of normal Pokeball's (5) and some food supplies like Sandwich bread (brown though), Soda, Water, Lemonade and Pokechow. I had never seen this kind of Poke food before, but I did realize that it actually was for Pokemon. “So, I hope you can make your own Pokemon food mixing herbs and meat into it, or even sweets,” he told me, grabbing his Items and placing them back into a small portable fridge. I stared at it.
 
“Don't worry, I might have to cycle to the hut we have out here often, but that is the way the job runs, anyway girl, out here, just around the next corner of the road there is a small fishing tournament, try to catch a good Water Pokemon and win the prize, go and try it!” His helpful hint I accepted with happiness, I had never fished before, but a Water Pokemon from around here would be a good edition to my Team, even if I already had a Marill. I bid farewell to him and walked on, Sammy constantly asking me if we competed, after a while I had to make clear that I would first have a look to see what to do. He nodded in agreement.
 
ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß
 
“Do we have to pay,” I asked the elderly looking man? “No, but you do if you want to borrow a fishing rod,” he answered my question; I had to pay for something. “Well then how much does it cost,” I asked? “About 20 Poke dollars,” he replied blankly. I fished out the shimmering green note and exchanged it for a good rod, it seemed fairly decent. “You are entry number 53, the tournament will start in five minutes, go into one of the wooden boats we have prepared for you and choose wisely, only these Pokemon appear here,” he said pointing towards a large sign. “You have quite a few,” I said, looking at the pictures of Goldeen, Magicarp, Tentacool, Shellder, Poliwag, Horsea and Psyduck, but sadly no actual Water/Ice Type except Shellder.
 
“We have been transporting different kinds of Pokemon extra for the tournament that is held every week, we do not take Pokemon from the Ice Cave, neither the ones from Jhoto or Sevii Islands, sometimes though from Hoenn, but that is very rarely,” he explained to me more, gaining my attention. “Are these places far away,” I asked? “Very far, I think past the Orange Islands,” he told me, wishing me luck as the tournament was about to start now. I ran towards the single boat left for me and paddled towards the centre of the lake, where a few other Trainers and people had gathered.
 
I copied one of Anglers, throwing the strip of the road into the water. It took some time before a Pokemon actually bit on the shredded bate hooked onto the end. I pulled it out with a lot of energy, hoping it was something good. A Goldeen flew out of the water lake. Remembering you could only catch one Pokemon and keep it I used my Pokedex to regain the data. I shrugged slightly on the information, I had after all, two balls I was aloud to use encase I changed my mind. I threw my Pokeball into the air, releasing Karo. He chirped happily, eyeing the foe. “Okay Karo, Razor Leaf,” I called to him! His eyes began to glow a mysterious colour before he actually jumped up, twisting his head so that three razors formed, dashing towards the Goldeen and hitting it full on.
 
I was glad that my newly caught Pokemon did so well with one attack and ordered it to use Sleep Powder. Karo first blinked before releasing a blue powder like spore, sinking down towards the Goldeen, letting its eyes drop slightly before it dived back into the water, letting go of the hock it had hung on. “What!” I called slightly disappointed. A few Trainers around laughed at me, but quickly concentrated on their own fishing spree. “What happened,” I asked a bit shocked?! “The Pokemon knew what you were up to, only fast attacks can help here, one attack following the other is a better strategy at this point,” Sammy stated to me, gaining a plus point there on his idea.
 
I quickly threw the small thin string back into the lake, hoping that another Pokemon would appear, Karo and Sam waited patiently by my side. A few minutes later another tug was felt on my rod and I pulled it out, letting a small Pokemon plop onto the boat, trying its best to swim. “That's a Horsea,” Karo told me, he knew what to do straight away. He followed my instructions I had called before and released a powerful Razor Leaf, hitting the small Horsea in the stomach and sending it flying towards the boats end. It squealed shortly for help, before blue dust surrounded it and it shut its eyes, falling asleep in an instant.
 
I took out one of the two Lure Balls they had provided for me and threw it towards the sleeping Pokemon. A blue light emerged sending a blue stream of light towards the Horsea, which turned its body into a thin light blue aura. Soon the ball was wobbling on the ground, shaking a few times before it stopped. Another beep of the Pokedex caught my attention and I carefully read threw its data on my newly captured Pokemon. “Its female and it is still quite young,” I told them, while I had carefully put the good rod back to place. “Is it, it looked kind of helpless on land, but we could try to catch another one,” Karo told me, looking at the blurry picture on my Pokedex.
 
I nodded to Karo, we could try to catch another; it wouldn't be that hard, would it? We waited for another good 20 minutes before another Pokemon tugged onto the fishing rod. I pulled hard at the line, letting my Pokemon help me. A few water bubbles later a small Poliwag stood in front of us, wagging its long tail. I stared at it before I let Karo attack, sending it flying towards the boats end like Horsea had done. The wild Pokemon was not pleased and retaliated in using Double Slap. With another powerful Razor Leaf the Water Pokemon was down. I picked it up before putting it back into the water carefully and it swam away, happy. “Why, didn't you want to catch it,” Karo asked? “I didn't actually want it, but it would have made a neat Pokemon in my collection,” I told him, fishing once more before the siren rang, the tournament was therefore over and I quickly released the Goldeen I had just caught minutes before hand.
 
All Trainers rode back to the shore, leaving the boats and returning their borrowed rods and balls. I quickly found out that the prize was a basket full of Lure balls, which I did not win, my Pokemon only won the third prize, but actually the 1.000 Poke dollar reward and the hand made Pokeball from the famous Kurt, from Jhoto, was enough. My new Pokemon received the name Scarlet which suited her looks. I noticed something though that I was now longing for to go too, Jhoto. If I would ever win the eight badges from Kanto, I would surely go their by ferry or by train and after that maybe to Hoenn.
 
I walked on finding a perfect spot to rest, making sandwiches while my five Pokemon played around a small pond. Dynamic and Scarlet happily played around the pond, letting water splash in every direction. Nika was too busy playing with a Caterpie to even notice that Karo and Sammy watched her, eyeing the small Bug Type with interest as well, it seemed like small Pokemon made perfect toys for them. With a second thought it was very strange and somehow a bit mean.
 
Putting the Pokechow into five small piles on my plastic sheet I added some bread and salad, I did not know if it would hit their taste, neither did I know if what I did was right, but I wanted to try out what the guy had told me to do before. I called them a short while later, gaining their attention with the word `food'. Sammy was the first to enter his food pile, biting and chewing at it frantically. I had forgotten to eat about two days ago, which I regretted now. Karo and Nika were happy with their pile; Dynamic thought didn't actually like the salad and shoved it aside with his short paws. Bringing Scarlet over and letting her eat I quickly found out that she loved the bread and I was happy to see that.
 
Letting my Pokemon eat their food, I quickly gobbled down mine, feeling starved. I had to make measurements more often, especially now, since I have five Pokemon in my possession. Standing up, I searched the place for branches and sticks, quickly gathering them while my Pokemon ate. With a whole bunch of fire wood I returned, trying to make a fire, which didn't work very well. Nika stared at my useless tries and blew a small flame towards the wood, setting it on fire straight away. “See, that is how you do it,” she told me, proudly. “Yeah, kind of easy if you are a Fire Type,” I stated to her, making her laugh.
 
The sun set rapidly after the first hour and I got out my sleeping bag. Its white and silver stripes shone threw the effect of the moon and made it clear that somebody was actually sleeping there. I got my new Pokemon to talk to me while I settled in my comfy and warm sleeping bag. My Pokemon gathered around me while I told them a story. “Can a Tauros really fly over the moon,” Scarlet asked me, glee shining threw her eyes?! I laughed, she was very child like. “Well it depends, if it has a space suit it probably could,” Dynamic joked, letting the Pokemon and me laugh out loud. Scarlet on the other hand believed him. “I wish I could, but I am too small,” she stated sadly.
 
Don't worry, if you battle hard and gain experience and power, you might be able to evolve, making you stronger and bigger in size,” Nika told the small Water Type, pawing her on the head. “But not all Pokemon evolve with experience, some need evolution stones, like me,” Sam explained to her, “and some might even need to be traded, as far as I heard,” he added. “But I do not want to be traded,” Scarlet complained looking at me with big eyes! “No, I wont trade any of you,… wait, let us make a deal and a promise, we will all go to the Pokemon League challenge and we will try our best to win,” I made a gesture of friendship, letting them know I meant it with full heart.
 
I put my hand into the middle, letting all five of them put either their paws or fines into the middle. All six of us smiled and I suddenly felt a warm feeling in my heart, knowing this would be the start of a wonderful and exciting life...
 
ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß ß-ß
 
As the sun began to shine, I woke up, leaving my now asleep Pokemon, to collect water and to get dressed. As I reached the pond I washed myself, letting myself feel refreshed from the cool sensation of the fresh water. I filled my water bottle with it before I used a bucket to take to the camp. Having a big bag pack with everything you needed was wonderful, especially if you could transport big objects that somehow shrunk as you packed them, the wonder of technology, I will never understand it.
 
Setting the fire once again, with the help of my now awakened friend Vulpix, I cooked a small packed of Noodles, which I stole out of the kitchen of my mothers. Opening the Pokechow, I put some bread into Scarlet's food, knowing she would like it and some tomatoes, to see if she would eat them. For Dynamic I put in some bread as well, this time with some well chopped carrot, I had done that at home though and knew that it would be okay after three days now, hopefully, it looked okay. “Memo for me, buy a knife.” For Sammy and Karo I used salad and carrot, while Nika received some tiny meat pieces.
 
All of them enjoyed their meal as they woke up, especially Scarlet. Calling back one at a time after breakfast and letting Sammy jump onto my shoulder, I put out the fire with my bucket full of hot water, packing it into my bag straight after. I smiled at myself and continued my way towards Cerulean City, taking out my small device for help tracking down the streets and roads. “Is it far way,” Sammy questioned me? “Not too far, but far enough,” I told him, earning a light sigh. Slipping down a few hills and encountering a few Trainer's was the best on the journey, it really gave Scarlet and Karo an experience boost. Though, Scarlet was not too happy about fighting with land Pokemon near a pond, especially if it was an electric Pokemon. That was the first time I had neglected a Type because I was too busy arguing with Sammy.
 
Walking further threw the forest like maze I recalled some information about Pidgey, Ekans and Sandshrew, some Spearow's where on their way as well. I shrugged at the info my Pokedex gave me and walked on, Sammy always on the look out for other Trainers or Pokemon. At one time, a small Spearow attacked us. Sammy took him down with a few Headbutt's and Quick Attacks and I tried to catch it before a different Pokeball emerged from a different direction and caught it. “HEY!” I yelled loudly! “What's a matter, it is after all my Eevee you are actually using Kira,” this voice was a nightmare to hear, Kathy.
 
She walked out behind a tree, eyeing me with anger. Sammy stood still a few seconds, not knowing what to do. “What are you doing with MY Eevee,” she questioned, her voice dripping with demise and anger!? “I got it from Professor Oak as my starting Pokemon,” I replied truthfully. She fell silent and stared at the small Pokemon, betrayal written on her expression. “You can keep the small excuse for a wimp,” she declared! “Sammy is not a wimp!” “So you called the little weakling Sammy, how cute, a sweet name for a looser.” My heart ached with anger and sadness, this girl was once the nicest person in the village, before she started to train Pokemon.
 
Sam whimpered in fear and quickly ran towards my protecting arms. “Want a battle then Kira,” she questioned me? “Why…not, it could be…fun,” I stuttered. “Fun, yeah, a battle is no fun Kira, it is a way of survival, learn that and you have learned everything in life, I had to find out the hard way and you will as well,” she announced, letting a Pokeball fly into the air, releasing a large Pokemon, a Persian. “Sammy, can you do this,” I asked him, his pleading eyes told me he did not want to fight his former Master and I choose another Pokemon instead, respecting his decision. A blast of blue light and Dynamic stood his ground.
 
“A Marill, how did you get a Pokemon from the Orange Islands,” she questioned me, I stayed silent. “Oh well, it will loose anyway,” she stated. “How dare she,” Dynamic protested under gritted teeth! “Stay calm Dynamic, this could be a very hard battle,” I told him. “This battle will be a piece of cake,” Persian stated, licking his fine paws with its ruff tongue. Dynamic burst with anger and by that the battle started. Dynamic shot out a large Bubble Beam, one attack I did not know he had. The Persian got hit slightly as it jumped aside and quickly retaliated by using Fury Swipes. The attack hit a couple of times until Dynamic was ordered to do a Rollout Attack.
 
With incredible force the attack hit the Persian, but was not enough to knock it out, not by far. Letting the small blue ball rip past its delicate fur, the Persian used Leer, letting its eyes glow a dangerous red. As Dynamic turned round he stopped in his tracks, hypnotised from the shine, lettings its attack come to an abrupt halt. The Persian smiled and so did its Trainer Kathy. “Now Persian, use Thunder,” I had not expected that. The Persian meowed once before leaping into the air agile. “Dynamic, be careful,” I called to the small mouse Pokemon, letting it know that something bad was about to come.
 
Several Thunder attacks stroke down from the air and Dynamic evaded most of them, some hit, but didn't actually defeat him yet. “Try Water Gun,” I commanded and a burst of water shot towards the Persian, surprising the Pokemon. Kathy shrugged before ordering a Slash, which was heavy. Sharp claws sunk into the skin of Dynamic as the cat appeared behind him, letting him squeal in pain. I blinked a few times before staring at Kathy; she had only a fake smile on. Another shrill squeak brought me back to reality and I looked onto the small battlefield.
 
The Persian was on top of the Marill, slashing its claws deeper. Blood started to trickle down my Pokemon's back. “What are you doing stop it now!” “Why, I told you a battle is more then a friendly combat,” she spoke. My mind twisted before Sammy told me to call Dynamic back, I did so straight away. “Had enough of playing,” Kathy asked, her voice low? “Why…I mean…why do that to a Pokemon?!” The answer came abrupt. “Because it is only a Pokemon, born to fight and to live, even if it means killing its target,” she explained plainly, as if it was obvious. “You are the most… the most…awful trainer alive,” my sentence was short, but that was the only thing I could think of.
 
She smiled at me once, a smile that would stick in my head forever. “Learn to battle properly, then you might win against me, until then, stop living in a dream world, Pokemon is after all a game of power, no past time hobby or a job.” “It is my Hobby and it is my job from now on and I will gladly raise my Pokemon with all the friendship and trust I can offer them,” I stated, as if it was obvious to everyone I knew. “You will learn as soon as you meet Team Rocket,” she told me, “I have, does that mean you actually belong to Team Rocket,” I asked her, disbelief and fear crawling to my expression?! “If that clears you up, yes I do,” she told me. “W...why,” I asked? “Because they see the truth, which other Trainers don't,” she told me, her Persian standing by her side.
 
My Trainer and I are born for battle and for wealth, we don't need any stupid children take our precious time,” Persian stated, again licking her left paw. “Your Pokemon is as blinded as you are,” I said quietly, but loud enough for her to hear. “Think whatever you like, who cares, soon enough Team Rocket will catch your Pokemon too, and I will make sure of that, and your Eevee will be mine after that once again, seeing as it still respects me as a Trainer, he will gladly return, wont you,” she asked Sammy? He cowered in my arms, letting his head shake a no. “Hm, you have already let him become soft, but that doesn't matter, he will make a great Jolteon,” she told me before smiling and leaving, a big grin plastered on her face.
 
Sam blinked before he asked: “Is she gone?” I nodded. “Did she scare you,” I asked him, he nodded clearly with a yes. “Do you still want her as a Trainer?” He rapidly shook his head, signing a no with every question I gave him. “Why did you want to return at the first place?” “I think…it is…because she was the first thing I saw,” he said quietly. I smiled into myself, how caring a Pokemon could be; how could she ever think that he was a tool for battle? I stroked his head a few times before leaving the battle ground. I rushed towards the City and soon found out that I was there, only at the entrance. I scrambled threw the hoard who had gathered their, all complaining about the loss to a girl, Kathy. Some even said their Pokemon had been taken.
 
I though, had other thoughts in my head as I staggered threw the City and into the Pokemon Centre. “Nurse Joy,” I called loudly! “What is it,” she asked me, approaching me fast. “My Marill, I think it has scratch patterns all over his back,” I quietly told her, releasing him. Dynamic stumbled as I had threw the City before lying flat on his round stomach, the wound bleeding terribly. “Oh my god, I have seen these wounds by other Pokemon, have you met this mysterious Team Rocket member,” she asked me worriedly, I nodded. “Please, for the sake of my patience, give us a record on how she looks and is, that might help in our researches,” she explained to me before pointing at Officer Jenny.
 
She was listening to a story from a young girl, her eyes filled with tears. “What happened to her,” I asked Nurse Joy? “She was attacked just like you,” she explained as Chancey escorted my Pokemon to the hospital chambers. I nodded, understanding what and how she felt. After the talk, Nurse Joy left to see how her Chancey were doing. I spoke to the Officer, while Sammy and my other Pokemon walked around freely. “Do you know her name,” Officer Jenny questioned me? “Yes…,” I stated, “her name is Kathy, Kathryn Origami from Viridian City.”