Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pseudo Shigeru ❯ Guardian of the Forest ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: The Forest Guardian

Gary sighed and stretched his arms. Frieda had told him to relax while she took care of some things, so he had. But relaxing was starting to get boring, and he was wondering what she was up to. He was still curious as to why she'd obviously lied to him back in the forest, but it hadn't seemed like a big lie. But then, she had helped him escape his world. For that, he'd let it go…for now.

Eve suddenly jumped onto his shoulder. "Vee!"

"Yeah, I'm bored, too. Guess we should go complain to Frieda. She's not being a very good hostess."

Eve hopped to the floor, waiting for her trainer to follow. She led him down a hallway to a room he assumed was Frieda's.

Gary knocked on the door. "Hey, Frieda! Aren't you done yet?"

There was no reply.

He knocked again. "C'mon, Frieda!" Gary was about to knock a third time when he heard something heavy moving across the floor.

Eve suddenly became panicked and began to whine, pawing at his leg.

"What is it, girl?" Gary asked, picking her up.

Eve continued to whine and tried to hide beneath his cloak.

The door flew open, and Gary found himself staring at Frieda's Umbreon. It simply stood there for a moment, then stepped back as Espeon appeared by its side.

Gary didn't move a muscle. While he was certain the two Pokémon knew him, he couldn't be sure they wouldn't attack if they thought he was invading Frieda's space.

Finally, Espeon lowered its body to the ground and raised its split tail, rubbing the two appendages together.

Gary heard a soft, serene music playing, and a voice that sounded like a loving mother speaking to its child.

"Please forgive us, Trainer Gary, but we cannot allow you to enter. Mistress Frieda is…busy."

Gary blinked, realizing that Espeon had spoken directly in his head. In all the time that he had spent raising them, neither of the Pokémon had deemed him worthy of psychic conversation. But then, he wasn't sure if Umbreon had that ability.

Umbreon made a noise that sounded like a combination of growling and grunting.

Espeon seemed to glare at him. "Really, Leon. I hardly think such language is necessary."

Gary raised Eve to his face and whispered in her ear. "Think you can translate what he said, girl?"

Eve flattened her ears against her head and squeaked a reply. "Yes, but…I'd rather not repeat it, Gary…"

"Ah. Doesn't hold his tongue, does he?"

Eve shook her head, looking very embarrassed.

Leon made the noise again, this time batting Espeon's nose for emphasis.

Espeon's glare was unmistakable this time. "Trainer Gary, I must insist that you leave. Mistress Frieda would be most upset if-"

"Somehow, I don't think your friend there agrees, Espeon. And I'm wondering if Frieda would, either."

Leon sank his teeth into Gary's cloak and tried to pull him into the room.

Espeon hissed and slapped him away with her paws. "Leon, stop this! Mistress Frieda said she is not to be disturbed!"

Leon released Gary's cloak and stared at Espeon. His red eyes seemed to glow as he advanced on her, slowly backing her into a corner.

"L-Leon…w-what are you d-doing?" Espeon asked, sounding nervous.

Gary easily recognized the beginning of Umbreon's powerful Confuse Ray. After all, he'd taught it to the Pokémon himself.

Eve jumped out of Gary's arms and ran up to Leon's side. "You won't hurt her, will you?"

Leon didn't stop his attack. "Stay back, little one. Pretty Cleo's been very prissy lately. This should put her in her place."

"Leon…no…please…s-stoppitt…" Cleo wavered on her feet, then collapsed to the floor.

Leon ventured closer and sniffed the red dot on Cleo's forehead. "Good. She'll be out for a while." He glanced down at Eve. "Take Master Gary downstairs, and hurry."

"Downstairs? Where?"

Leon made his growling/grunting noise again. "Cleo must have hidden it. Hold on." His eyes began to glow again.

Gary blinked as the entire room seemed to shudder. Then he noticed that the bed wasn't really a bed at all, but a large steel trapdoor.

"Go, little one, and go quickly. I'll keep an eye on Cleo." Leon sat down beside Cleo and rested his head on her paw.

Eve experimentally tapped the trapdoor, and jumped back as it began to open. "This way, Gary!"

Gary glanced at Leon one last time before following Eve down the flight of steps he found. "Wait a minute, girl. I've got a question."

Even stopped and looked back at him. "You're wondering why Cleo called you Trainer, but Leon called you Master?"

"That's one thing, yeah."

"Cleo could sense that Frieda was only lending them to you for a time. She's extremely loyal to her."

"And what about Leon?"

"Leon could sense it, too, but you've earned his respect. He still considers you his Master."

"So you're saying if Frieda told him to do something, he wouldn't listen?"

"Oh, no, he's loyal to Frieda, too. But, like I said, he respects you, and besides, he…doesn't get along with Cleo very well."

Gary paused. "Then…you think it was a mistake, leaving them alone back there?"

Eve stopped for a moment, then shook her head. "No. Despite their differences, I could tell that he cares about Cleo." Eve stopped again. "Maybe a little TOO much…"

* * * * *

Upstairs, Cleo slowly opened her eyes. "Ugh…I feel sick."

"Now, now, Pretty Cleo. Is that any way to speak to a Pokémon that's gone out of his way to keep you warm?"

Cleo instantly realized that what she'd thought was a blanket was actually… "LEON! You sneaky, disgusting backstabber! Get your paws off me!"

"Hmm. No, I don't think so, my dear. Your fur is quite comfortable at the moment. So soft and silky…"

"Ooooh! If you weren't bigger than me, I'd...!"

"You wouldn't enjoy it as much then." Leon leaned down and nuzzled her neck. "Stop fidgeting. We both know you're not the slightest bit unhappy right now."

"How DARE you!" Cleo struggled even harder. "Are you…ugh…implying that I…oof…am enjoying this?!"

"No, Pretty Cleo. I'm SAYING that you are." He chuckled slightly. "You know, I really enjoyed it when you were begging me not to use my Confuse Ray. Maybe if you begged me again…"

"I will do no such thing! Let me up at once, Leon!"

"Admit that you don't find me entirely repulsive and I'll consider it."

"So you want me to LIE?!" she spat.

"Actually, I want you to be honest. With me and yourself."

"Fine. I honestly HATE what you're doing right now!"

"Oh, really?" Leon stared at the red dot on her forehead. "And what if I was to touch that certain spot that always makes you melt? Would you hate it then?"

"Don't you DARE, Leon! That spot is a symbol of my link to Mistress Frieda!"

"Well, I always did say you needed to be more accessible. What better way to start?" He gently brushed the red dot with his paw, chuckling when Cleo trembled involuntarily. "There, you see? Not so hostile now, are you?"

Cleo closed her eyes and whimpered. "Fine, you insensitive barbarian. You've just ruined ten years of the love Mistress Frieda shared with me. I hope you're happy!"

Leon didn't seem to be amused. "Well, good. The color red never suited you. I always thought you'd look better with a black dot, anyway…"

Cleo's eyes widened in shock. "Leon…you…y-you wouldn't dare!"

"Oh, please, Cleo. Why do you think Frieda and Gary raised us to be exact opposites? They knew each of us would cling to only one of them, and that eventually, he would come to our world to be with her. And can you guess what they had in store for us?"

Cleo shook her head violently. "No! NO! I won't believe it! You're…lying! Mistress Frieda would never do that to me!"

"Don't be stupid. She's always saying how you're her best Pokémon. Don't you think she'd want you to have an egg? Imagine it, Cleo. An Eevee with both our talents would be a formidable one. And who knows what it might become when it evolved?"

"Even if Mistress Frieda did want me to have an egg, what would possibly possess her to think YOU would make a good father?"

Leon laughed. "Well, why don't you ask Eve?"

Cleo's eyes widened. "No…she…it couldn't be…not her…?"

Leon smirked. "Maybe she is, and maybe she isn't. The point is, we were exposed to her for a reason. Are you saying you never even thought of having an egg when you looked at her, Cleo?"

Cleo fell silent. Now that she thought about it, being around Eve HAD given her ideas…but she'd always pushed them away immediately. Mainly because Leon was the only other Eevee evolution she'd encountered, and Cleo didn't want Frieda thinking she was interested in him. She wasn't. She couldn't be. Leon lived to annoy, infuriate, and frighten her. Cleo could understand if Gary had suggested the idea…but her own kind, loving trainer? The thought was too horrible to imagine.

"Think what you want of the idea, Cleo. Either way, you're staying here until they get back."

Cleo frowned. "Mistress Frieda will be angry."

"She'll get over it. We both know Gary's the best person for this job." Leon yawned and rested his head on her shoulder. "Better get some rest, Pretty Cleo. You're going to need it."

Cleo's eyes narrowed dangerously. "What is THAT supposed to mean?"

Leon chuckled. "You naughty little girl, Cleo. I only meant that we'd be going on a trip soon. What did you think I meant?"

Cleo hissed at him before resting her head on her paws. "Oh, shut up."

"Love you, too, dear."

* * * * *

"Gary…do you…like Frieda?"

He paused and looked at Eve, who had returned to his shoulder as they'd gone deeper into the tunnel. "What makes you ask?"

"Nothing." Eve concentrated, and the yellow gem on her collar pulsed, filling the tunnel with bright, yellow light.

"I guess I do, girl. But why do you want to know?"

Eve ducked her head. "Well…I was just curious. I like her, too."

"Oh? Why's that?"

"She's nice to me. And she knows how to scratch that spot behind my ear almost as good as you do."

Gary didn't say anything. The tunnel was starting to grow narrow, and he thought he could see a light other than Eve's up ahead.

Eve saw it, too, and her collar instantly stopped glowing. "I hear a voice…but it's a man, not Frieda."

Gary nodded and carefully slid toward the end of the tunnel. His ears weren't as sharp as Eve's, but soon he heard the voice, too.

"…that's why no one else can know about this, Frieda. I'm taking a big risk even by telling you. Every new person that learns of this world puts themselves in grave danger. This organization is ruthless when it comes to eliminating threats."

"Don't worry, Professor Elm. I won't tell anyone. You can trust me."

"Please be extremely careful, Frieda. I want to see your face again…"

"Don't worry, sir. You will." Frieda closed the laptop and sighed. "But I can't just sneak off without saying anything. Monica will be sore enough since she had to take my day. She and the others will start to worry, and…Gary…I can't just leave him here without an explanation."

"Then don't."

Frieda shrieked in surprise and spun around, nearly spilling out of her chair. "Gary! What are you doing down here?!"

"I was about to ask you the same thing, Frieda." Gary crossed his arms over his chest. "What was that all about?"

"H-How much did you hear?"

"Not important. It sounds like you're risking your life."

Frieda sighed. "You weren't supposed to know."

"So you were just going to disappear?" Gary asked. "Just like that?"

"Why not? You did."

"You know it's not the same, Frieda."

"Isn't it? Everything's the same, Gary."

"No, it isn't," he snapped. "I didn't come into this world alone. You brought me. Do you really think I'd step into the time stream without guidance? But you're doing this alone, aren't you?"

"You don't understand, Gary. This is dangerous, but I HAVE to do it!"

"Then make me understand, Frieda. Tell me everything."

"Why should I?"

Gary frowned. "Because if there's a chance I'm never going to see you again, I at least want to know what I'm losing you to."

Frieda sighed in frustration. "Gary…I can't. I want to, but I can't."

Gary stepped forward and cupped Frieda's chin in his hand. "Can't…or won't?"

Frieda tried to turn away.

"Tell me, Frieda. Please."

Eve hopped onto Frieda's shoulder and licked her cheek.

Frieda sighed heavily. "Fine. I'll tell you everything. But there's nothing you can say to stop me from going."

"I know you're going," Gary replied, releasing her chin. "Because I'll be there, too."

Frieda's eyes widened. "What? But you don't even know what we're up against!"

Gary smiled. "You said we. You want me to go."

Frieda blushed. "I just…it's dangerous, Gary."

"I know. But you name one person you'd rather have on your side in a fight."

"That's easy. Lance."

Gary glared at her. "A person you KNOW personally."

"Okay, okay! But don't say I didn't warn you."

"I won't. Let's talk."

* * * * *

As it turned out, Frieda didn't know everything about her mission yet. Once she called Professor Elm back and explained the situation, things took a bad turn.

"What?! Frieda, you swore to me no one would find out!"

"I'm sorry, sir! I didn't know Gary was-"

"STOP!" Professor Elm's eyes widened. "Did…you say…Gary…?"

Frieda looked puzzled and glanced at Gary. "Yes, but what does that matter?"

"Put him on the phone, Frieda. This could be a matter of life and death."

Frieda blinked and stepped away from the computer. "He wants to talk to you."

Gary didn't recognize the man on the screen, but then, he didn't expect to. However, the same could not be said for Professor Elm, who turned a ghostly shade of white.

"Dear God," he whispered. "It's…you. It's really you!"

"Who?!" Frieda cried, shoving her way back into the screen.

"Not now, Frieda. You and…Gary…must come to my lab at once. We'll go over the assignment in greater detail there. I'll be waiting." With that, the screen went blank.

"That's strange. I've never seen Professor Elm look so scared before."

Gary shrugged. "Well, it's not my fault. I've never been here."

Frieda stared at him. "No…I guess you haven't. C'mon, let's move."

* * * * *

When Professor Elm found Gary and Frieda on his doorstep, he reacted in much the same way he had on the vid-phone. "I just can't believe you're here," he kept saying as he led them down to his storage cellar.

"Well, I am. So what's with this mission that could get Frieda killed?" Gary received an elbow in the ribs for that one, but he ignored it.

"I must admit it would be very dangerous…for anyone that decided to risk the journey." Professor Elm sighed. "But…it must be done. The fate of two worlds is in jeopardy, and waiting any longer would only invite more trouble."

"More? You mean there's already been trouble?"

"Yes, I'm afraid." Professor Elm placed a small object in Gary's hand. "Last week, one of my Pokémon discovered this in the Ilex Forest."

Gary stared at the item in his palm. It appeared to be nothing more than a bunch of fish scales with a red tint to them. "Um…so two worlds are in danger because a bunch of Magikarp decided to walk on land?"

"I'm afraid it's not that simple, Gary. First, those aren't from a Magikarp. They're from a Gyarados. More importantly, a red one."

"There's no such thing."

"That USED to be true. It's not anymore. And what's worse, not only is it a red Gyarados scale, but it's one from another world entirely."

Gary blinked. "Okay. Still waiting on the dangerous part, Elm."

"As a time traveler yourself, you should know the implications. When worlds start bleeding into one another, it can only mean that they will eventually combine…and usually with catastrophic results. And THAT's not the worse part."

"Professor Elm's more worried about the world we'd be combining with," Frieda explained. "It's, for lack of a better term, evil."

"That's enough, Frieda," Professor Elm interrupted. "I'll tell him the story."

* * * * *

June 17th, 2000.

It wasn't a particularly important day…until that year, anyway.

It was the day that one world was plunged forever into darkness, and all because of a twelve-year old boy who learned a terrible secret. The boy couldn't have known what the revelation would mean for him or the entire world. It was nothing he'd asked for directly…but then, how could a young boy born to a single mother not wonder who his father was?

The boy's name was Ash Ketchum…but then, it was also Gary Oak…

Ash knew something was wrong the instant he walked into the house. Despite the mouth-watering aroma of his mother's deep dish chili cheese pizzas, something just felt…off.

"Oh, there you are, sweetie!" Mrs. Ketchum said as he walked into the kitchen. "I was just about to call you. Will Misty and Brock be joining us for dinner?"

"No, they went back to their own gyms for a while," Ash replied, frowning a bit. "Mom…is something wrong?"

"Wrong? What do you mean, honey? Did you not want pizza tonight?"

"No, you know I love your pizza, Mom. It's just…well, forget it. It's probably nothing."

But all through dinner, Ash couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't right. Even after he'd washed up and gotten ready for bed, there was an uneasy pain in the pit of his stomach, and something told him it wasn't chili cheese.

"I know something's weird, Pikachu," Ash said to his best friend and Pokémon later that night. "I just don't know what."

Tired from the day's activities, Pikachu replied, "Kachu, Pikapi." (Maybe you should sleep on it, Ash.)

"Yeah. You're probably right. Night, Pikachu."

Just then, there was a knock on the door. "Ash? Are you still awake?"

"Yeah, Mom. What is it?"

"Make sure you get plenty of rest tonight. I've got a big day planned tomorrow."

Ash blinked in surprise, but answered, "Okay, Mom."

The following morning, Ash was more than surprised to find Misty, Brock, Gary, and Professor Oak in the kitchen. His mother, however, was strangely quiet. But then, everyone was, as if they knew something he didn't. They did, of course.

After breakfast, Professor Oak led the four teens back to his lab, where he offered something of an explanation.

"There's no easy way to say this, Ash, so I'll just be frank." The older man sighed, and it was clear that whatever he had to say was not pleasant.

"What is it, Professor?" Ash asked, already dreading the answer.

Professor Oak looked him straight in the eye. "It's…your father, Ash. He wants to meet you. All of you."

"A-All?" Ash repeated, clearly in shock.

"He's been watching you," Gary said without the slightest hint of arrogance. "He's got it in his head that we're the people who influence you the most, so he wants to meet us all."

It made sense….sort of. Brock's wisdom and good cooking had sustained Ash more times than he could remember. Misty's advice and constant fights had been equally important, in a way. And Gary's challenges never seemed to end. They'd all helped him become a better trainer, and shaped him to be what he was.

"A limousine will be arriving within the hour," Professor Oak added.

"My…father," Ash whispered, staring at the floor.

Misty reached over and squeezed his hand. "You don't have to do it, Ash. But if you do, we'll be right beside you."

"Every step of the way," Brock agreed.

Gary didn't say anything, but it could be assumed he was curious as to the kind of man Ash's father was. The part about the limo hadn't exactly discouraged him, either.

"Thanks, guys," Ash muttered. "But…I just don't know…what to say to him…"

"You don't have to say anything," Misty pointed out. "He's the one with explaining to do, not you."

"The redhead's right," Gary said. "If he's been watching you this whole time, he should know enough. Especially if he knew about us. Time to let him step into the light."

Ash looked at his rival with obvious surprise. "You want to meet him, too?"

Gary shrugged. "He might as well meet the person keeping his kid from being Pallet's best trainer."

Later that afternoon, the four teens stepped into a limo. It was the last time anyone would see them for three years.

* * * * *

"The next time the Pallet Four, as the media began to call them, did appear, they were not the same people that disappeared that day. Ash, Misty, Brock, and Gary were gone for good. Since the first day of the Indigo League-Team Rocket merger, there has only been Satoshi, Kasumi, and Shigeru. Brock's whereabouts have never been determined, but it's assumed he wouldn't go along with whatever they were planning."

"And no one did anything?" Gary asked.

"Well, no. There was nothing they COULD do. According to police, Giovanni was the legal guardian of all three teens. And it wasn't like they were being held against their will. They were interviewed several times, but all of them said they wished to stay with the Rocket League."

"Most likely brainwashing, and lots of it," Frieda suggested. "Giovanni would have unlimited access to psychic Pokémon."

"What about Ash's mother and Gary's sister?" Frieda asked.

"Both missing, no leads," Professor Elm replied. "Before you ask, Misty's sisters closed down their gym after she joined the Rocket League. Brock's family has been searching for years with no luck."

"So everyone in the Pokémon League stayed after the merger?" Gary asked.

"Oh, no. Certainly not. Many quit the instant Lance went into negotiations with Giovanni. Sabrina was one of the strongest voices against the merger, and she left to start her own gym. Lance is the only member of the original Elite Four that still remains, although he got a promotion to the Board of Directors."

Gary frowned. "So who make up the Elite Four now…or do they even exist?"

"Oh, they exist, Gary. I think you'll find them very familiar." Professor Elm rummaged through his files, and finally located a photo on his desk. "This is a picture of the Rocket League's Board of Directors and the Elite Five as they were a year ago."

The first people Gary recognized were Cassidy and Butch. He remembered seeing them in the news a few times, usually for scams involving Pokémon. Both appeared to be very confident in the picture.

The person in the middle was, without a doubt, Ash. He looked strangely alien without his League cap, and his features were hard, almost as if chiseled in stone. In the picture, he was standing in front of Giovanni, a position which implied his rank. Giovanni's hand was resting on Ash's shoulder.

Next to Ash was Misty. Instead of her usual one-sided ponytail, she'd let her hair grow well past her shoulders. Gary was surprised to find himself admitting she was much more attractive that way…and then he realized why.

The final person in the front row had one arm wrapped possessively around Misty's waist. He was slightly taller than Ash, and he wore a smile that personified confidence.

"It's…me," Gary whispered.

"Yes, Gary. That's why you're perfect for this mission," Professor Elm replied. "Shigeru vanished shortly after this picture was taken."

Gary looked back, noticing something he'd overlooked. "Who's that girl on the other side of Giovanni?"

"That's Clair," Frieda replied. "Former Blackthorne City Gym Leader. She and Lance trained together as kids. She's into dragon types, too."

"And now she's on the Board of Directors with him. Figures." Gary squinted. "Hey…what's that thing around Ash's neck?"

"A pokeball in its smaller form. You'll notice that Misty, Cassidy, Lance, and Clair have them as well. It's a known fact that Team Rocket…acquired the legendary birds before the merger. There's a rumor that Giovanni gave them to his Elite."

"So you want me to pose as Shigeru, infiltrate the Rocket League, and do what, exactly?" Gary asked.

"Well, if there is any truth to the rumor about the legendary birds, your first priority would be to free them. We're assuming that Giovanni has somehow brainwashed the remaining members of the Pallet Four. My guess is that because Shigeru was exceptionally strong-willed, the brainwashing wore off and he escaped. Your task is to free Satoshi and Kasumi so that they can think for themselves again."

"But if they're working for Giovanni, why would they listen to me?"

Professor Elm smiled. "Well, at the time of this picture, Shigeru and Kasumi were something of an item. Plus, Shigeru and Satoshi were like brothers. They are the two people that knew him best. With any luck, you won't have to win their trust again. It's Giovanni and the others you'll have to work hard to convince."

"Ultimately, your goal is simple," Frieda said. "All you have to do is make that world as similar to this one as possible."

"Easier said than done," Gary replied, staring at the picture. "Much easier…"

* * * * *

Gary had studied every bit of information Professor Oak had gathered on Shigeru, the Rocket League, and the new world in general. For the first time in his life, Gary knew he was walking into something very dangerous…and he wasn't afraid. He was calm and collected. And for some reason, he couldn't sleep.

That turned out to be a good thing, because Frieda came to see him a little after midnight.

"Can't sleep?" she asked, sitting beside him on the couch.

"Don't want to," Gary muttered, going through the files again.

"Gary…this could be the last time we see each other."

He looked up. "You don't think I can do it?"

"That's not the point, Gary. Even if you can, there's no guarantee you'll get back here safely."

"I know that, Frieda. It doesn't bother me."

She stared at him in disbelief. "You mean…you don't care if you come back or not?"

"No, I mean it won't affect what I'm doing. I want to come back, but that's just a bonus I'm trying not to look forward to. In case I don't make it back, I don't want to be disappointed."

"Oh." Frieda was quiet for a moment. "Gary, I know there's nothing I could say to change your mind, but…"

"You're not going with me, Frieda. This is a one man job and you know it."

"I know. That's why…I want you to have these." She took his hand and placed three small pokeballs in it.

Gary stared at her. "You might never see them again."

She nodded. "I just…want you to be safe, Gary. This way, you'll have something to remember me by."

"I could never forget you, Frieda. You know that."

"Actually…you could." Frieda looked at him, tears in her eyes. "Professor Elm says that the journey to the new world alone could erase all of your memories of us. That's why I'm so worried that you won't come back. You might not remember to…"

Gary pressed his hand against her cheek. "I'll do my best to come back to you. That's all I can promise."

Frieda covered his hand with her own. "I'll miss you so much, Gary." She choked back a sob and closed her eyes.

Gary hesitated, then finally drew her into his arms. "Don't cry, Frieda. Everything will work out."

"I want to believe that," she whispered. "I really do."

* * * * *

The next morning, Professor Elm woke Gary up at dawn. Though he was tired, Gary didn't complain.

Within an hour, he found himself back in Ilex Forest, following the directions that Elm had given him. He was expecting to find a transport of some kind, but the directions only led him to a large tree in the heart of the forest.

Gary was just thinking of turning around when he sensed something watching him. He couldn't explain how he knew, but he knew he wasn't alone.

Then the bushes in front of him parted to reveal a strange green creature. It had been perfectly camouflaged with the underbrush, and the only exception was its large, unblinking eyes, surrounded by dark circles. It wasn't very large, possibly the size of a small child, and had a bulb-like body and head. The creature walked right up to him, circling him a few times before stopping in front of him. Two vines with leaves on the ends emerged from its shoulders, and they waved about in a strange, surreal pattern.

Gary slowly reached for his newly updated Pokédex and pointed it at the creature. He wasn't surprised by the description that came back.

"Unknown Pokémon species. No data available."

Gary was just about to pull out Eve's pokeball when he remembered Frieda's words. She'd said that she traveled between worlds by praying to the forest guardian, whatever it was. And then she'd mentioned someone named Sally just after they arrived in the future, but she wouldn't say who Sally was. It didn't take Gary long to guess the forest guardian's identity.

He licked his lips and looked down at the creature, who was currently inspecting the grass. "Sally?"

The creature stood up and looked at him expectantly, flapping its small wings twice.

"Well, look. If you really are the forest guardian, I could use your help."

The creature tilted its head and continued staring, which Gary took to mean, "Huh?"

"I guess you don't understand me. Maybe one of my Pokémon speaks your language."

Seconds later, Eve popped out of her pokeball.

"Eve, I need you to talk to her. Tell her we need her help."

Eve ran up the creature and tried to communicate, but it seemed to be ignoring her.

Gary guessed the problem, though. "Try using your Leaf Stone, girl."

The green stone on Eve's EvoRing pulsed brightly, and the creature instantly started paying attention.

After a few minutes of squeaks and purring, Eve hopped on Gary's shoulder. "Her name is Sally. She's a…or maybe the…Celebi. She is the forest guardian, but she won't help us unless we can prove we have good intentions. I told her we were Frieda's friends, but that's not enough."

"Well, we can't go back and get Frieda, but I have an idea." Gary pulled out another pokeball and released Frieda's Espeon.

"Something wrong, Trainer Gary?" Cleo asked. Then she noticed Sally. "Oh, I see."

"Cleo, please tell Sally that we're not enemies. Tell her Frieda's counting on us."

"Certainly, Gary. Just a minute."

It was another few minutes, but Cleo appeared to have convinced Sally.

"She'll help us, Trainer Gary. But she has some…terms, which will have to wait until we've arrived. Don't worry, it's nothing too drastic." Before Gary could ask, Cleo returned to her pokeball.

Sally then pointed at Eve with her vines and made a rustling sound.

"She wants me to go back into my pokeball, Gary."

Gary nodded. "Go ahead, girl. It's probably for your own good."

Eve nuzzled his cheek. "Be careful," she squeaked before being recalled.

Sally motioned for Gary to sit down, which he did with no complaints. Then she covered his eyes with her leaves, and he felt her weight (which actually wasn't much) in his lap. He wasn't sure how long they sat there until the world began to spin, but sleep came and took him before he could think about anything else.

* * * * *

Continued in Chapter 3: Return to Rocket

The Rocket League's Butch & Cassidy are ambushed by a mysterious girl that wants to be their newest gym leader. Meanwhile, Gary is welcomed into a vastly different Indigo Plateau, but to prove his worth, he must defeat Kasumi, former love of Shigeru.