Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pseudo Shigeru ❯ Kasumi's Challenge ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4: Kasumi's Challenge

The Rocket League's Indigo Plateau was nothing like the one Gary remembered. About the only thing that hadn't changed was Victory Road. But the compound itself took up the whole plateau and spilled over to the three surrounding islands. One island had a large arena and a Pokémon Center. The next had a six-story office building, and the final island appeared to be nothing more than a huge forest, although there was a tiny building in the center of it.

"Hope you're ready for a battle," Cassidy said suddenly.

Gary turned to look at her. "Why?"

"Don't be stupid," Butch snapped. "You think you just walk back into the Rocket League? We've got to make sure you're still as good as we are. Just because you stopped training doesn't mean we did."

"Just because I left doesn't mean I stopped training," Gary replied. He reached down and scratched Leon's ears. "Ready for a battle, boy?"

Leon growled and leaned into Gary's fingers.

"We'll be landing in one minute," a voice said over the intercom.

"So what do they call this thing?" Gary asked. "It's not a chopper, but it's not a plane, either."

Cassidy shrugged. "They don't really call it anything, except for the Dragon Fang. That's just what Lance and Clair call it, but since it doesn't have an official name, everyone calls it that."

The Dragon Fang landed a few seconds later, in a field outside of the arena.

"You'll be battling in there, Shigeru," Cassidy said. "We've got other things to attend to. There's no telling who you'll have to prove yourself against, so be prepared for anything."

Gary chuckled. "In that case, Leon might actually break a sweat."

"Glad to see you haven't lost your confidence. You're gonna need it."

"Personally, I hope it's Satoshi," Butch grunted. "I'd love to see him wipe the floor with you."

Gary remained silent as he entered the arena. He took a long look around, then sat down to wait for his opponent. A strong breeze suddenly hit him in the face, as if notifying him of how cold it was. He drew his hood over his head and wrapped an arm around Leon. "That's one thing I hate about bad guys. They love to kill you with suspense."

* * * * *

"Master Satoshi?"

Satoshi blinked several times and shook his head. "I told you a hundred times already. Just Satoshi when no one else is around."

"Sorry. The test is done."

"Really?"

"Yes. You fell asleep. Again."

Satoshi grunted. "Good work, Sentry. Put him back now."

Entei's unconscious body floated past him and carefully settled back in its unit.

Rubbing his eyes furiously, Satoshi stood up and stretched. "These late nights will be the end of me."

"I could recommend a vacation, if you like."

"No, Sentry. Then he'd have Clair doing the testing, and the last thing we need is a legendary going into shock again. It's hard enough to heal them when they're just tired."

"But you're the one that is tired, Satoshi. I can practically smell your fatigue…and your worry."

"I warned you about reading me, Sentry."

"You're worried Kasumi still loves him, aren't you?"

"Of course not," Satoshi replied, frowning. "I KNOW she still loves him. I'm worried that she'll see us as a…mistake."

"You could try impressing her with the bags under your eyes."

"Not funny." Satoshi reached over and hit a button on the wall. A monitor dropped down from the ceiling, revealing a clear aerial shot of the arena. "Hmm. Lance's aim is getting better."

"Clair's been helping him with it…among other things."

"I don't even WANT to know if you mean what I think you do, Sentry. I thought you psychics were supposed to be solemn and sincere?"

"I wouldn't be half as much fun then." Sentry pointed at the screen. "You know…he was shorter when I last saw him."

"It's been years, Sentry. People grow."

"Yeah. And split ends grow apart. Sound familiar?"

"Shut up."

* * * * *

Gary was just starting to nod off when he heard light footsteps. He slowly raised his head. "It's about time! I've been waiting here for…"

The girl standing over him was beautiful. It took him several seconds just to get past her face. It took even longer to keep from staring at the rest of her. The black, skintight uniform hugged in all the right places…and as far as Gary could see, there were no wrong places. She wore a black cloak over the uniform, with a bright blue RL emblazoned on the collar.

"Waiting here for what?" she asked, giving him a curious look.

Gary stood up and drew back his hood. "For you, of course."

She gasped and took a step back. "Shigeru…?!"

"Hey, Kasumi. You look good." He paused and made his ogling more obvious this time. "REAL good."

"There will be time for that later, Shigeru," Giovanni said as he appeared behind Kasumi. "For now, I think you should concentrate on the battle."

Gary nodded. "Hello, sir."

Giovanni returned the nod, then vanished. "I'll be watched closely. Make me proud…both of you."

"This is…unexpected," Kasumi said, a slight smile touching her lips. "But still very welcome."

"My return or the match?" Gary asked.

"Guess." She brushed a strand of red hair from her face. "You ready?"

"I was about to ask you the same thing, babe. How many?"

"Six. No holding back because I'm pretty, right?"

"Then no crying when I win."

* * * * *

Gary wasn't surprised when Kasumi called out a Gyarados first. As long as most of her lineup was water-based, he was pretty sure he'd win. "Better start off strong, but not too strong." He grabbed a pokeball and threw.

There was a loud roar as his Nidoking emerged, stomping the ground and snorting.

Kasumi smirked. "Not the first thing I'd send against a Gyarados, but…Tackle it!"

The Gyarados shot forward with lighting speed, slamming into the Nidoking and pushing it back.

Gary shook his head and grinned. "Thunder."

Nidoking got a good grip on Gyarados and let loose with a powerful electric attack. Gyarados roared in pain, then collapsed with a loud thud.

"Good work, Nidoking!" Gary shouted as Kasumi recalled her fallen Gyarados.

Kasumi drew her second pokeball and gave it an affectionate kiss. "You won't beat this one with a Nidoking. Go, Lapras!"

The Lapras appeared and lifted its head high.

Gary frowned. "Thunder."

Kasumi smiled. "Not this time. Ice Beam!"

Before Nidoking could attack, it was frozen in its tracks. A quick Body Slam finished it off.

"That Lapras is at a really high level. Didn't want to use my electric types this early, but…"

Gary sent out Eve next.

"An Eevee? He must be up to something." Kasumi thought for a moment. "Lapras, Body Slam!"

Lapras launched itself into the air, headed straight for Eve.

"Counter!" Gary shouted.

Eve froze and lowered her head, forming an energy shield around herself. Lapras landed on her, and then was thrown backwards, landing on its back. Eve knocked it out with two Thundershocks.

"Hmm. High level, plus it knows some other element attacks." Kasumi thought for a long moment.

Gary smiled when the Blastoise appeared. "Eve, hit it with Thunder!"

"Blastoise, use Earthquake, and fast!"

Blastoise stomped the ground twice, then withdrew into its shell as the electric attack hit. Eve squealed as she was thrown off her feet. She crashed to the ground, panting heavily.

Gary scooped her up. "You okay, girl?"

"Yes…but I can still…battle…"

"That attack took a lot out of you, Eve. You should rest. Kasumi's Pokémon won't get any easier."

"…no, Gary! I have to fight…for you…"

He smiled and shook his head. "You already did, girl. I'm very proud of you. Besides, I've got four Pokémon left, while Kasumi's only got three and a wounded Blastoise." He raised a pokeball and recalled her, knowing she would never quit unless he did.

Kasumi smiled to herself. "He really does care about his Pokémon. But that doesn't mean he's changed enough to beat me."

Gary fingered his pokeballs. "I don't want to send out Marowak, not even against a hurt Blastoise. Time to see what you're made of, Cleo."

Cleo leaped onto the field, staring at the Blastoise shell, which hadn't moved in the last few seconds. "Trainer Gary, I think it might be-"

"Look out!" Gary shouted.

Cleo dove aside just as the Blastoise used Hydro Pump, flooding the entire battlefield.

"Use Confusion, and hurry!"

Cleo's eyes narrowed, and the red jewel on her forehead flared.

The Blastoise came out of its shell and promptly fainted.

Gary smiled as Cleo returned to his side. "Good job, Cleo." He reached down and scratched behind her ears.

Cleo purred silkily and waved her tails. "You're quite good at that…"

"Well, I did have a hand in raising you."

Kasumi's next choice was a Golduck.

Gary smirked. "Take a quick rest, Cleo. Leon, you're up."

"Finally," Leon growled.

Cleo frowned. "You're replacing me with…with…HIM?"

"Psychics are his specialty, Cleo."

Leon glanced back at them and winked. "Oh, she knows, Master Gary. She knows all too well…"

Cleo hissed and turned her back. "Savage!"

Kasumi frowned. "Oh, great. Must be one of the newer ones Cassidy was talking about. But I've never seen that Pokémon before. Golduck, Psybeam!"

Gary chuckled. "You know what to do, Leon."

"Yeah. And here I thought you said this would be tough."

Golduck fired a Psybeam, but Leon didn't even slow down as he charged across the field.

"What?! Impossible!" Kasumi cried.

Leon struck with Faint Attack, scoring an instant knockout.

Kasumi recalled Golduck and sent out Jynx. "Lovely Kiss!"

The Jynx leaped at Leon, who barely dodged and hit it with another Faint Attack. Jynx fell, but slowly rose again. It countered with Blizzard, and this time, Leon couldn't escape its effects.

"Can you keep going, Leon?" Gary called.

"Don't insult me! I'm just getting started!" Leon darted forward took out Jynx with Bite.

Kasumi pulled out her last pokeball. "You've always been lucky before," she said quietly before tossing it out. "Don't let me down."

Gary blinked in shock as the Pokémon appeared. "What the heck is that thing?!"

"I believe it's a Togetic, Trainer Gary," Cleo replied. "A normal type, and very rare, as I understand it."

"Oh. Well…Leon, be ready for anything."

Kasumi smiled. "Togetic, show Shigeru why you're undefeated."

Togetic hopped forward and began to wave its tiny paws.

Gary watched in awe as the Togetic instantly fired a Solarbeam without even charging it first. Leon had no chance to dodge, and was slammed into the arena wall. He slumped to the ground and didn't move.

"Leon!" Cleo ran over to him and gently bumped his head with her nose. "Can you hear me…?"

Leon grunted and opened one eye. "Y'know, that little thing's pretty sneaky."

"Never mind that! Are you hurt?"

Leon smirked painfully. "Duh. Why else wouldn't I have a witty comeback by now?"

"Feel like avenging Leon, Cleo?" Gary asked. "Now's the time to say so."

Before Cleo could say anything, Leon grunted, "Get your pretty butt out there and tear Spikey a new one. And make sure you wag it on the way out."

Cleo actually smiled. "I think I have the general idea, Leon." She leaned down and licked his cheek. "You just promise me you'll try to get better instead pulling another stupid stunt."

"Yeah, yeah. Go get 'em, Pretty Cleo."

But, much to Gary's surprise, Cleo didn't last much longer than Leon. Granted, it took both a Hyper Beam and a Fire Blast to put her down, and even then she wouldn't quit until Togetic had knocked her out with Double-Edge. Marowak suffered much the same fate, although it was a Hydro Pump and Crabhammer that defeated him.

Gary was down to his last Pokémon. "Using Sally's out of the question, but there is this last one Freida gave me. I don't even know what it is, but…" He shrugged and threw the pokeball.

A large Ampharos emerged. She blinked a few times and bleated.

Leon raised his head a bit. "Marie? What are YOU doing here?!"

"Something wrong?" Gary asked.

"Well…kinda. Marie is Mistress Frieda's first Pokémon."

"Good. Then let's hope she has tons of experience. Marie, Light Screen!"

A golden sphere formed around Marie as she waved her tail in anticipation.

Togetic fired a Hyper Beam, but Marie shrugged it off and hit him with a Thunderpunch.

"Togetic!" Kasumi cried. "Light Screen!"

Gary frowned. "Crap. So much for special attacks." Then he smiled as he spotted the pink bow around Marie's neck. "Marie, Attract!"

Marie's body began to glow with a golden light, and Togetic flew towards her a dreamy look on his face.

Gary waited until he was close enough. "Marie, use Swift…now!"

Marie blasted Togetic right in his face. He squealed and hit the dirt hard.

Kasumi ran onto the field and cradled Togetic in her arms. "Are you okay?" she whispered, tears falling down her face.

"To-ge," Togetic moaned before fainting.

Kasumi hugged him tightly. "Thank you. I'm so proud of you, Togetic."

Gary slowly walked up to her. "Kasumi…"

She quickly stood up and stepped back, moving Togetic to her left arm and wiping her face with her right arm. "You've…improved greatly, Shigeru," she said quietly. "It was…an honor to battle you." The words sounded forced and rushed, and he knew she'd said them automatically, more or less.

Gary's gaze traveled down to Togetic. "Will he be okay?"

Kasumi blinked a few times. "Togetic is stronger than he looks." She stretched out her hand.

Gary stared at her, then shook her hand. "You did very well yourself, Kasumi."

"You did better," she replied before walking away.

* * * * *

"He won," Clair said quietly.

"He did," Lance agreed.

"So what's that mean?"

"That he has the option of coming back. Of course, I can't imagine why he would return if that wasn't his purpose all along."

"Maybe he came back for Kasumi."

Lance shook his head. "Doubtful. Besides, she's with Satoshi now."

"Well, he has been gone for a long time."

"I'm sure Butch would've rubbed it in his face by now."

"You don't mind him coming back?"

"He's proven he still has the skills to be one of us. That's enough for now."

Clair nodded slowly as she mounted her Kingdra. "So we're in agreement?"

Lance nodded as well, swinging himself up on his Dragonite's back. "He's in."

With that, the two Dragon Masters turned and flew off into the night.

* * * * *

"She…lost?" Sentry asked in disbelief.

"Looks like it," Satoshi said, rubbing his chin. "Togetic's never been beaten before. I'd better go check on Kasumi. She'll take this hard."

"I can't believe she lost," Sentry muttered.

"It happens."

Sentry looked skeptical, even through the metallic armor covering most of his face and body. "When's the last time it happened to you?"

Satoshi blinked. "Don't remember."

"Funny. Neither do I, and I remember everything. Which means it doesn't happen to everyone."

"Never said it happened to everyone. Just said it happened." Satoshi stood up. "You'd better close up down here. Clair might do a surprise inspection."

Sentry nodded. "Satoshi?"

"Hmm?"

"If Shigeru could beat Kasumi…does that mean he could beat you, too?"

"Depends on which Pokémon he uses. You know I'm only allowed to have one-on-one battles."

"Why is that?"

Satoshi shrugged. "Clair says that a trainer with my experience only needs one to win any battle."

"And you believe that?"

Satoshi shook his head as he walked out of the lab. "Never said I believed it. But I haven't lost since. Night, Sentry."

"Night, sir." Sentry sighed and turned to face the three legendary beasts in their prisons. "So. You guys know any good jokes?"

* * * * *

"That was a really great match."

Gary blinked and shook his head slightly. "Thanks."

"Tired?" Cassidy guessed.

"Maybe." He resisted the urge to yawn into his hand.

"Well, you're lucky. The boss is holding off meeting with you until tomorrow."

"Wonderful. That should give me just enough time to figure out how I can convince him to get rid of Butch."

"Tried that already," Cassidy sighed. "Several times."

Gary smirked. "Thought he was your partner?"

"Yeah, 'was' being the keyword. Now he's just annoying."

He placed a sympathetic hand on her shoulder. "Hate to break it to you, Cass, but he's always been that way. You're the only one just now realizing it."

"Yeah, I guess. You ever notice his voice sounds kinda…nasty?"

"You mean like a Snorlax with a Pineco stuck in its throat?" Gary pretended to think about it for a moment. "Nope, the thought never even crossed my mind."

Cassidy's lips twitched, and then she finally lowered her head and laughed. She soon regained her composure, and her face became serious. "It's good to have you back, Shigeru. Don't take off like that again, okay? We…really missed you."

Gary sighed. "Look, Cassidy. Let's be honest with each other." He tilted his head slightly and placed a hand on her shoulder. "I know you want me, but you'll just have to settle for another guy that sounds like a frog with a sore throat."

Cassidy glared at him, but only for a second. "Whatever." She punched him on the shoulder as the elevator doors finally opened. "Seeya tomorrow, Shigeru."

"Yeah. Seeya." Gary watched her walk away, then looked up the hall. "Unless they moved everything, my room should be down here."

"Hmm…third room on the left."

"Huh? Oh, thanks, Cleo. Wait…you're in your pokeball!"

"What's your point, Trainer Gary?"

"You can still talk into my head from there?"

"Of course. A mere pokeball can't block telepathic links."

"And yet it does a fine job of keeping you in there."

Cleo growled into his head. "Like others of my kind, my true power is psychic, not physical."

Gary chuckled as he finally reached his room. "Well, don't worry about it. You were very impressive tonight. I'm sure Frieda would be proud."

He could almost see Cleo blushing slightly as she said, "Thank you."

Gary pressed his hand against the small pad next to the door. "Open."

There was tiny beep. "Scan positive. Welcome home, Shigeru." The door slid open.

The room was exactly how he'd expected it to be: clean. Aside from the dresser, bed, and desk, it appeared to empty.

"Guess I wasn't much of a decorator." Gary dropped his bad on the bed and took a look around. His gaze landed on desk for the second time. "I wonder…" Gary walked over to the desk and began tapping the wood, searching for…something. Amazingly enough, he found it, despite the fact he had no idea what he was looking for.

The bottom drawer had a hollow echo, and Gary felt along the corners until his fingers brushed against a tiny knob. The entire set of drawers flipped around to reveal six pokeballs embedded in the wood. Each was clearly labeled.

"Man," Gary whispered. "These guys don't play around. At least, I didn't." He was just starting to reach for a pokeball when something brushed against his cheek. Startled, he jumped up and banged his head on the edge of the desk. "Ow!" Gary grunted and rubbed the growing bump on his head, slowly turning to see what had surprised him.

Sally stood before him, her vines waving in greeting.

"Oh. How'd you get out?"

Sally only stared at him in silence.

"Wait, you still don't understand me, do you?" Gary sighed. "Well, at least you're looking better."

As if she understood, Sally tilted her head a bit, then slowly nodded.

"You'd better get back inside your pokeball, Sally. This place is probably crawling with psychic types, and you're not exactly hard to miss."

She nodded again, slower than before, and picked up the custom green pokeball Gary had bought for her in Crimson City. After studying it for a few seconds, she pecked it with a vine and was pulled inside.

Gary picked up the ball and put it in his backpack. It was then that he heard a knock on the door. He ran his fingers over Cleo's pokeball.

"…it's…Satsohi, Trainer Gary. Be careful."

Gary frowned, then opened Cleo's pokeball.

Cleo leaped off the bed and came to stand by his side. "Is something wrong?"

"No. Just feel better with someone dependable by my side." Gary ran a hand through his hair and opened the door.

Satoshi looked up slowly, his face showing no emotion at all.

Gary stared at him for a long moment, then smirked. "I'm done battling for the day, Satoshi. You'll have to take a number."

Satoshi almost smiled. Almost. "No, no. I guess I just had to see you for myself…before I allowed myself to believe Cassidy's report." He paused. "It's…been a long time, Shigeru. Much has changed."

"Hmm. You mean that you've gotten better, or that you've gotten Kasumi?" Gary was quite impressed that the smile he displayed held no jealousy or malice at all. Well, very little, anyway.

Satoshi closed his eyes and chuckled. "You were always so direct and to the point."

"Yeah. Guess some things don't change, Satoshi."

"No, Shigeru. Some things do not." Satoshi opened his eyes and held out a gloved hand. "That was quite a battle you had with Kasumi."

Gary gripped the hand firmly. "How's she doing?"

"She'll recover." Then he smiled, as if he'd had a stroke of genius. "You should talk to her."

"I don't think she wants to talk to me."

"I've never known Kasumi to hold a grudge over a good battle."

Gary slowly withdrew his hand. "So you WANT me to be alone with your girl? Man, things have definitely changed."

Satoshi shook his head. "Not true. I trust you, Shigeru. More importantly, I trust you both."

"Good to hear that." Gary leaned against the doorframe. "So you really didn't come by to challenge me?"

"I'd be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind, old friend. But there will be plenty of time for that, once you've settled in. Go and talk to Kasumi first. You won't regret it."

"Fine. Where will I find you once I've settled in?"

Satoshi smiled again. "Most likely Lab 2, on the north island. If I'm not there, ask Sentry to locate me."

"One-on-one?" Gary asked.

Satoshi nodded and sighed. "I don't like it any more than you do, but I promise to use my best Pokémon."

"Then there's no problem at all." Gary felt something rub against his leg and looked down. "You'll have to excuse me, Satoshi. I was in the middle of giving Cleo a massage when you arrived."

"Say no more. Your Pokémon come first." Satoshi leaned down to rub Cleo's head. "You did very well tonight, Cleo. I look forward to seeing you in action again." He stood up, nodded to Gary, then turned and walked away. "Welcome back, old friend," he called over his shoulder.

"Thanks." Gary closed the door and sighed in relief. "Thanks for the save, Cleo."

"Well, now that you mention it, Mistress Frieda always gave the best massages after tough battles…"

Gary chuckled. "Well, if you're nice to Kasumi, maybe I can get her to give you one."

* * * * *

Continued in Chapter 5: The Resistance

An in-depth look at the weary but powerful few that dare to challenge the Rocket League's reign.