Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pseudo Shigeru ❯ Battle in Lab 2 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 8: Battle in Lab 2

Satoshi was silent for the remainder of the trip back to the Indigo Plateau. Gary wasn't sure if he was brooding over the Granbull that had attacked him, or just wondering about his old Pokémon that he'd seen for the first time in years.

"Something's wrong," Satoshi whispered.

Gary blinked. "What?"

"We should've reached the Indigo Plateau by now."

"You saying Zadpos doesn't know the way?"

Satoshi frowned. "Of course he does. Which means the way has been changed."

"Or it just looks that way." Gary enlarged a pokéball.

"Oh no," Cleo groaned, already sensing his plan.

Leon emerged and narrowed his eyes. "There's a powerful psychic force masking the buildings."

"Think you can pull the same trick you did back at Frieda's?"

Leon shook his head. "No way. This kind of power is way out of any normal Pokémon's league. No pun intended."

"So we know the buildings are there," Gary muttered. "But how do we find them? We need something to follow, some kind of signal."

As if in reply, Zapdos let out a loud screech.

Instantly, there was an answering squawk.

"What was that?" Gary asked.

"A signal," Satoshi replied. "Kasumi's signal. Here it comes now."

A beam of blue light suddenly shot up from the ground. The arena finally shimmered into view as they got closer, and in the center of it was a magnificent bird.

Gary's eyes widened. "Is that…?"

Satoshi nodded. "Articuno."

Zapdos landed in front of Articuno and lowered his wings to the ground.

Once they had all climbed off, Satoshi recalled all his Pokémon except Pikachu, who remained by his side.

"So, think you can walk yet?" Gary asked.

Satoshi frowned. "What are you implying?"

"Well, since you seem to be in defensive mode, I'll take that as a no."

Satoshi started to reply, but a familiar voice cut him off.

"Satoshi!"

Kasumi came running up to them and looked as if she might throw her arms around Satoshi, until she realized he was wounded. "What happened?"

"The PokéPolice were there," Satoshi replied, fingering his ribs. Then he groaned and collapsed.

Gary kneeled and checked Satoshi's pulse. It was strong enough.

"Pikapi," Pikachu said, sounding worried.

"He'll be fine with rest, Pikachu." Gary carefully pulled Satoshi to his feet, then realized Kasumi wasn't helping. "Well?"

Kasumi continued to stare at him.

"Kasumi!" Gary snapped.

She gasped, then quickly draped Satoshi's other arm around her shoulders. Together, they carried him away.

Eve started to follow, until she noticed that Cleo was staying behind. "What is it?"

"I thought…I sensed something," Cleo said after a moment. "There, in the shadows."

"Just me," Leon replied as he stepped into view.

Cleo hissed in frustration as Eve bounded off. "Why do you insist on startling me?"

"Didn't mean to." Leon lowered his voice. "I sensed something, too. Went to check it out."

"What was it?" Cleo asked.

Leon grunted. "Had to be a psychic. Kinda smelled like you, but not as good. Took off once I got close."

"Why didn't you say so?"

"Didn't wanna worry the kid. She'd just tell Gary and get him worried."

* * * * *

Clair watched the screen for a moment, then raised the com unit to her lips. "Satoshi and Shigeru are home, sir."

"Excellent. Are they wounded?"

"Satoshi looks pretty out of it. Fainted once they got here. I cleared some spots in the infirmary."

"Good work as usual, Clair. Anything unusual to report?"

Clair paused. "Well, they rode back on Zapdos. Didn't think they'd need him."

"Hmm. Interesting. What do you make of it?"

"The rebels must've had an ugly surprise for them. Guess they're more prepared than we thought."

"Apparently."

Clair lowered the com unit, watching as Cleo & Leon followed their trainer out of the arena. It was then that she spotted something small and black moving in the shadows. It was far too small to be any recognizable Pokémon, and before she could get a good look, it was gone.

"Something wrong?" Lance asked from behind her.

"Maybe. I thought I saw something out there."

"Impossible. Sentry would've sensed it."

"There is nothing," Sentry confirmed a moment later.

"And your shields are still masking us?" Clair asked.

"Yes, Mistress."

Clair frowned. "Hmm."

"What?" Lance asked.

"I hate being wrong. But I really hate it when someone says I'm wrong, and I turn out to be right. Keep scanning until you find something, Sentry. I know what I saw."

"As you command, Mistress." Sentry watched Clair and Lance leave Lab 2, then sighed. He turned to another screen, watching as Shigeru & Kasumi helped Satoshi into one of the beds. "Get better soon, Satoshi. It's always boring down here without you."

Without warning, there was a soft growl behind him.

Sentry turned to see Entei on his feet, staring at the screen that still showed the inside of the arena. "No offense, of course. But you can be terribly entertained at the moment, can you?"

Entei did not answer, but he continued to stare at the screen, a glint of recognition in his eyes.

* * * * *

"That was a very stupid thing you did back there, Shiro," Chigusa muttered as their cruiser left the forest. "Because of it, your Granbull could be injured, or worse."

Shiro snorted. "Just because I'm the only one Jenny doesn't have on a leash, I'm the black sheep, huh? Well, if being able to think for myself is a crime, then I guess I'm guilty. Besides, Satoshi won't forget me anytime soon, and Princess is tough enough."

Though Shiro sounded confident, Chigusa noticed how he kept stroking his Granbull's head absently. Princess hadn't so much as blinked since Satsohi's Ariados had stung her. "She'll be fine," Chigusa said after a moment, placing one hand over his and hoping she sounded reassuring.

"Yeah," he whispered, no longer sounding very confident.

"She needs a Full Restore," a voice behind them announced.

Shiro & Chigusa turned as one to see Sylvie crouched over Princess.

"What's SHE doing here?!" Shiro cried.

"I'd guess she's fixing Princess," Chigusa said slowly, noticing the bottle in Sylvie's hand.

Sylvie carefully pushed the bottle between Princess's large front teeth and tipped its contents into her mouth. "Drink it all down, puppy, so you can get stronger," she said quietly, patting Princess's head.

"Just tell me you didn't bring your sister with you?" Shiro pleaded.

"Nope," Sylvie confirmed. "But Mikey and Mary are hiding in the back."

Shiro smacked his forehead. "I don't BELIEVE this!"

"Calm down, Shiro," Chigusa said. "I'm sure she's got a good reason for being here."

"I do," Sylvie replied confidently. "You're gonna help us stop the Rocket League."

"Why would we do that?" Shiro asked, his face still frozen in disbelief and something that might've been fear. Chigusa suspected he might be picturing what Sabrina would do to whoever had "taken" her sister.

"Because I said so. And because I helped your puppy."

Sure enough, Princess sprang onto Sylvie, eagerly licking her face.

"So I guess you have a plan?" Chigusa asked, smiling at her.

Sylvie nodded. "All you have to do is get us onto one of the islands. We can do the rest."

"You want us to just leave you there alone?"

"Not alone. With Mikey and Mary and our Pokémon."

"And you think you can defeat the Elite Five by yourselves, not to mention Lance, Clair, and Giovanni?"

"Won't have to beat them all," Sylvie answered with a big grin. "Just the bad ones."

* * * * *

Kasumi entered the code quickly, as if she expected to get in trouble for being there. Surely everyone in the building had seen her going into and coming out of Satoshi's room before. Of course, he'd always been inside before, not unconscious in the infirmary.

The door slid open with a soft hiss, and Kasumi stepped in, squatting next to the bed. "Chikorita," she started to whisper, then remembered it had evolved. "Bayleef?"

Slowly, a large, green head appeared on the other side of the bed, but it was a Meganium. Kasumi blinked in surprise. It was just more proof of how many secrets Satoshi kept, even from her.

Fortunately, Meganium recognized her at once and hurried around the bed, her large, pink petals waving in greeting. A pleasant scent drifted into Kasumi's nose, and she was reminded of vanilla and cinnamon. She gradually emerged from her dazed stupor as Meganium gently nuzzled her neck.

Kasumi smiled and stroked Meganium's long neck. "You miss Satoshi, huh?"

Meganium's petals waved again, and this time Kasumi inhaled a scent remarkably like Satoshi's: sweat, spice, and something else she couldn't identify.

"Want to go see him?" Kasumi asked. "I bet he'd like that."

Kasumi was rewarded with another pleasing scent, which she'd learned was "yes" in Plant. She was just leading Meganium out of the room when she bumped into someone.

"Shigeru!" she cried, nearly stumbling over Meganium.

If Gary was bothered by her reaction, he didn't show it. "Going to see Satoshi?" he asked.

Kasumi nodded, trying to catch her breath. She suspected her heart had nearly stopped.

"Don't bother. He's not in the infirmary," Gary pointed out.

"He's…not?"

"Just came from there. They said he walked out on his own. Well, limped out…"

Kasumi sighed in frustration. "He's so stubborn! Probably went straight to Lab 2, knowing him."

"Think he'd mind some company?"

"I guess not," Kasumi said slowly. "Could you…take Meganium down with you?"

Gary arched an eyebrow. "Changed your mind?" He noticed that she wasn't meeting his eyes.

"No, it's just…that place gives me the creeps. I'd never go there if it wasn't for Sentry."

"Yeah, sure. I can do that."

"Could you…stop by on your way back?" Kasumi asked softly, finally looking him in the eye. "I need to…ask you something later."

"Okay," Gary said slowly, looking slightly confused.

Kasumi brightened instantly, but somehow, it looked forced. "Thanks." She quickly walked away.

Gary watched her go. "Girls," he muttered.

"I heard that," Cleo growled into his head.

* * * * *

Sabrina hardly slept for more than an hour at a time anymore. Since the Rocket League had come to power, she'd felt a need to be alert at all hours of every day. When she did sleep, her Alakazam always stayed by her side. Misdreavus was always hidden somewhere in the vicinity of Sylvie's room, and she always slept with her Pokémon out, anyway.

There were very few Pokémon that could penetrate a defense like that, and the Rocket League had every one of them.

Sylvie's disappearance had been surprising, but not totally unexpected. Sabrina, for one, was not worried in the least. Sylvie was without question the second greatest human psychic in the world, and perhaps either by fate or simply blood, she was bound to Sabrina by one of the strongest psychic links in existence. As a result, Sabrina would've known instantly if Sylvie was in any sort of danger.

Anyway, Sylvie had taken her Pokémon, wherever she'd run off to, as well as Mikey and Mary. Despite their ages, all three children and their Pokémon had tons of experience, in and out of battle. Brock had always assumed that none of the adults would live to see the Rocket League fall, and so he'd drilled the children and their Pokémon relentlessly. Anyone else would've thought it cruel, but Sylvie had already survived a battle with one of the Elite Five. It was safe to assume she could hold her own in a full battle against anyone.

Of course, she'd never beaten Sabrina, but that was another matter entirely.

Without warning, Alakazam suddenly appeared in front of her. Confused as to why he hadn't called her, Sabrina reached into his mind and gasped.

Someone was in Sylvie's room, and they had a powerful psychic type with them.

Sabrina knew right away that the Pokémon's power was…unnatural. It was even stronger than her Alakazam, but it was…tainted, somehow. She could sense more than one mind behind it, which just confused her further. "Come, old friend. It's time we defended our home."

Despite knowing he was outmatched, Alakazam nodded and teleported them both to Sylvie's room.

Sabrina was hardly surprised to see a young woman leaning over Sylvie's bed. "Cassidy. Get out."

Cassidy straightened up and smiled thinly, her black cloak concealing all but her head and boots. "Hello, Sabrina. Lovely to see you again."

"What do you want?"

"Your sister, obviously."

"She's not here."

"Too bad." Cassidy frowned. "Then my Arbok will have to find something else to eat."

Sabrina felt a stabbing pain in her head and fell to her knees. She realized it was flooding from her link with Alakazam, and squinted to see what had happened.

To her shock, Cassidy's Arbok was wrapped tightly around Alakazam. "How?" she whispered.

"Don't worry, your Pokémon's as powerful as it ever was, Sabrina. But I'm afraid it just pales in comparison to mine."

There was a sudden movement under Cassidy's cloak, and Sabrina cried out as a fresh, new pain assaulted her mind.

"I hope you can appreciate the irony in what you're about to see," Cassidy said, finally letting her cloak slide open.

Sabrina's eyes widened as they settled on the monstrosity strapped to Cassidy's chest.

At one point, it had clearly been an Abra, but that was no longer the case. The creature's complexion was a ghostly white, making it resemble a Dewgong in color. Instead the usual violet, lightweight armor, the creature was fitted with a round, metallic chest plate that was actually bonded to its skin. Its tail was mysteriously missing, and most disturbing of all were its eyes.

Sabrina had never seen an Abra open its eyes more than a fraction. In sharp contrast, this one seemed to have lost the ability to even close its eyes at all. They resembled bloodshot marbles swimming around in its head more than eyes.

"Permanent state of hyperactivity," Cassidy explained. "Always awake, always alert, and always in pain. Partially why it enjoys sharing that pain with others. I don't think this one's had a nap in months."

A new, alarming thought forced its way into Sabrina's head. "This…one?" she whispered.

"Oh, yes," Cassidy continued, smiling again. "There are many more. Granted, most don't survive the injection, and half of that number spontaneously combust while trying to evolve."

Sabrina lowered her head, realizing she was crying. The Rocket League already had the most powerful Pokémon alive and the legendary birds. There was no need to experiment on innocent Pokémon so ruthlessly.

"I believe Sylvie has an Abra, doesn't she?" Cassidy asked. "I bet it would be the first one to evolve successfully after an injection."

"She'd never let you," Sabrina choked.

Cassidy smirked. "She wouldn't have much say in it, one we spliced her with the Abra."

Sabrina let out a cry of rage and threw herself at Cassidy, lashing out with the full, unhindered power of her mind. She was vaguely aware of Arbok's venomous fangs sinking into her ankle, but they might as well have been pinpricks.

Cassidy wisely took a step back, but it was no use. She had no psychic power to speak of, and her mind instantly ceased to exist. Her body was thrown aside by the sheer force of Sabrina's will.

The Abra faired only slightly better under the psychic assault. While it was true he had the genetic material of the original Mewtwo in his body, never before had he been forced to use all his power to defend himself in an instant. His brain struggled to keep him somewhat sane, while his heart strained to keep beating. After a moment, both organs exploded, coating Cassidy's front with gore.

Sabrina collapsed to the floor, her body sorely protesting any further action, mental or otherwise. Her only comfort at the moment was that Arbok's fangs were still in her leg, indicating the deadly snake had caught enough of the blast, as well. With her last ounce of strength, Sabrina sent a distress call to the rest of the resistance. "Be safe, my little sister," she whispered before the darkness took her.

* * * * *

"So what's with the disappearing act?"

Satoshi turned around to see Gary and Meganium in the doorway. "You found me, didn't you?"

"Shouldn't you be resting?" Gary asked.

"This IS rest," Satoshi replied, stroking Meganium's neck.

"Looks more like work to me," Gary said, glancing around Lab 2. His eyes landed on the three captive Pokémon directly behind Satoshi.

"They require constant study," Satoshi pointed out. "I'm the only human that can communicate with them, for some reason. Sentry usually helps, but he's been worn out masking the entire compound and doing in-depth scans of the perimeter. Not that Clair cares about his or any other Pokémon's health, anyway."

Gary kneeled in front of the nearest glass prison and placed his hand on it.

Though he had been asleep, Entei's eyes snapped open. He stared at Gary for a long moment, then raised a paw and pressed it to the glass.

"That's the most response he's ever given anyone else," Satoshi said quietly.

Gary pulled back his hand. "Probably just thought I was you."

Entei kept his paw against the glass, not even blinking.

"Since you're not really resting, I guess that means you've got enough strength for a battle?"

Satoshi tore his gaze from Entei. "Of course. I'll use my best."

"Then so will I." Gary's first instinct was to use Eve, but he wasn't so sure she'd be willing to battle Pikachu. Then his fingers brushed Marie's pokéball, and the decision was made.

If Satoshi was surprised by Gary's choice, he didn't show it. Instead, he drew a solid black pokéball out of his cloak. "Go," he whispered.

Gary couldn't ever remember Pikachu being inside a pokéball, but apparently, that hadn't changed in this world. What had changed, apparently, was Pikachu's rank as Satoshi's best, because the dark shape that quickly materialized was certainly not Pikachu.

It was a Gengar.

Gary blinked a few times, then looked at Satoshi, who had missed the expression on his opponent's face. Then, they both shouted attacks at once.

"Confuse Ray!"

"Light Screen!"

Though she was now protected from special attacks, Marie was confused. Gary had guessed Satoshi's first move ahead of time, fortunately, so even if Marie did hurt herself, she wouldn't do too much damage.

Although Satoshi wasn't going to wait for her head to clear up…or was he?

Gary's eyes nearly bulged out of his head when he realized Gengar wasn't attacking.

But the instant Marie regained her senses, she was forced to avoid a Hypnosis attack.

"Thunder!" Gary shouted.

The attack caught Gengar in the side and tossed him against the far wall. But for some reason, he was grinning evilly as he floated back to the floor.

Gary knew that Gengar would probably have the advantage if this went on too long. "Thunderpunch!"

Gengar made no attempt at all to avoid the attack.

Now Gary was very worried. Something was wrong. He tried another approach.

"Firepunch!"

Both Gengar and Satoshi looked surprised as Marie drove a flaming fist into the ghost Pokémon's belly. But again, Gengar didn't appear to be hurt at all. Any other would've been tired at the very least.

Finally, Satoshi gave another command. "Fire Blast."

Marie took the attack at point-blank range and was forced to the ground. She recovered quickly, though, and came in low with another Thunderpunch.

Satoshi's voice rang out. "Electric Fireball."

Gary froze. He'd never heard THAT attack before. Neither had Marie, since she couldn't find a way to dodge it. Gary noticed that she was a lot slower to get up this time, too. No matter how powerful the attack had been, it shouldn't have hurt her that much if it was heat-based.

"Thuder," Satoshi whispered.

Marie nearly took the attack head on, but it clipped her left leg at the last moment. She let out a bleat of pain.

Gengar's eyes lit up as Satoshi ordered, "Shadow Ball." The dark ball of power rapidly began to grow.

Gary knew he had lost, but he refused to admit it. "Return!" he shouted, and then, just before the ball was released, "Hyper Beam!"

Gengar's eyes widened in shock as the beam hit his ball.

There was a kind of silent explosion, pierced only by two wails of pain.

When the smoke cleared, Marie was unconscious, and Gengar was struggling to its feet. It appeared to finally be wounded, and very seriously.

"Amazing," Satoshi said after a while. "Most never figure out how to hurt Gengar."

"Not that it helped much," Gary replied, carefully scooping Marie up in his arms.

Satoshi handed him a Max Revive. "Then you know what not to do next time." His face suddenly drained of color, and he fell to his knees.

"Satoshi?" Gary asked, starting to put Marie down.

"I have him, Master Shigeru." Sentry was instantly revealed in the dim light, lifting Satoshi's body with a slight wave of his almost human paw.

"Will he be okay?"

Sentry nodded. "Merely exhaustion from his injury. I will see to him personally." He paused. "Your concern for him is appreciated, though."

"Yeah, well, somebody's gotta look out for him, since he won't himself."

Sentry nodded. "Indeed."

* * * * *

The three children were playing with the Smoochum they had raised together when one of them suddenly froze, as if in shock.

Mikey looked at her. "Sylvie? What's wrong?"

Mary bit her lip. "Sylvie, you're scaring us! Say something!"

Sylvie didn't say anything. It looked as if she'd stopped breathing as well.

"Mikey, get Captain Jenny!" Mary cried. "Hurry!"

Mikey nodded and ran out of the room.

Mary shook her friend. "Sylvie, don't do this! You said you'd never be like this again! You promised!"

Sylvie finally took a deep breath. "Big sister," she whispered, tears flowing down her face. "Don't go…don't leave me…please…"

Mary's eyes widened. "Sabrina? What's wrong with her?!"

Sylvie's eyes rolled up into her head, and she dropped to the floor.

"Sylvie?! Speak to me!" Mary pleaded.

The Smoochum slowly ventured forward and carefully pressed her puffy lips to Sylvie's cheek. When there was no reaction, she turned to Mary, a curious look on her little face. "Smooch?"

Mary sniffled and drew the little Pokémon into her arms. "No, Sweetie. I don't know what's wrong with Sylvie. I just wish I could do something for her…" Tears rolled down her face and splashed on the Smoochum's head.

"Smooch!" Unable to do anything else, Sweetie reached up and pressed her lips to Mary's chin.

* * * * *

Continued in Chapter 9: Mental Mayhem

Sylvie goes through a startling change in personality, and Kasumi reveals a secret to Gary. The Rocket League finds itself at war from the outside, as well as within. Lance and Clair are both defeated by an unknown opponent, while Sentry and the legendary Pokémon seem to have their own agenda…