Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pseudo Shigeru ❯ Afraid of the Dark ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note: I've tried to keep all the chapters at ten pages, but since I'm nearing the end and there will be several battles and long explanations, it'll spill over. I originally planned for 13 chapters, but it depends on how the chapters shape up. Just a warning to anyone who's saving or printing (and bless you if you are!).

Chapter 10: Afraid of the Dark

The group proceeded in silence, partially because they didn't want the Rocket League knowing they were there, but mostly because Sylvie had silenced everyone with a glare. The girl's presence was actually frightening now, and her limited expressions were bone-chilling. Those present who had been unfortunate enough to witness Sabrina's smaller "shadow self" years before shuddered collectively, for it was if she had been reborn, but with ten times the power, yet with none of the sadistic but playful attitude.

Although the strangest thing about the new Sylvie was her obvious connection to her Pokémon. Though she all but ignored anyone human, Sylvie had not put down Sweetie since they'd left PokePolice HQ. Even now, the Smoochum's head poked out of Sylvie's backpack, trying to infect everyone with its normally contagious smile. But with Sylvie leading, no one really felt all that happy.

For some reason, Morty was the only one who didn't appear to be bothered by Sylvie's transformation. He walked directly behind her, slightly ahead of the rest of the group. If anything, he almost seemed to be protective of her, unnecessary as it was.

Sylvie came to a sudden stop in the middle of the forest they'd been sneaking through. "We will separate here."

"Is that wise?" Chigusa asked.

Sylvie pointedly ignored her. "Duplica and Copycat will enter RL HQ and shut down the remaining security systems. That will give the rest of you easy access. Mikey, Mary, and Nurse Joy will track down the Pokémon behind all this chaos."

"What about you?" Nurse Joy asked, looking a bit hesitant.

Sylvie sighed. "Morty and I will take care of the Elite."

"By yourselves?!" Shiro cried in sheer disbelief.

"You have a problem with this?" Morty asked quietly.

"I do," Captain Jenny said, stepping forward. "I'd prefer it if each group had one of us in it. I don't want any other laws broken…other than the obvious breaking and entering charges."

"Well, I would prefer it if other humans would utilize the remaining 90% of their brainpower," Sylvie snapped, her voice cold. "So I guess we'll both have to be disappointed this night, Captain. Now, if you're quite through wasting my time, we're going. Follow my orders or end up dead a lot faster. The world will be a better place by tomorrow either way." With that, she turned and walked off.

"Definitely got Sabrina in her," Duplica murmured, before following Copycat away from the group.

"You'll have to accept Sylvie's attitude for now, I'm afraid, Captain," Morty said. "But trust me, she knows exactly what she's doing."

"But is she Sylvie or Sabrina?" Jenny asked.

Morty gave her a blank look. "Assuming I did know that, I don't think it would be wise to tell you." He turned on his heel and went after Sylvie, who, much to his surprise, had stopped a few yards away. "You waited for me?" he asked, sounding amused.

"Of course," Sylvie sighed, managing to look impatient and somewhat pleased at the same time. "I LIKE having you around." Almost absently, she slipped her small hand into his and began to walk again.

Morty kept quiet as usual, though he couldn't help wondering whether it was Sabrina or Sylvie that preferred his company more. He suspected it was the latter, though the former also held some…interesting possibilities, to say the least.

"So, you really believe we can defeat the Elite alone?" he asked a moment later.

"No, I don't BELIEVE we can," Sylvie replied. "I KNOW we will. We only have to beat one of them, anyway, and it's the most incompetent one of all."

"You know this how?" Morty mused, suppressing the urge to chuckle.

Sylvie's eyes flashed with obvious psychic power. "Cassidy, Lance, Clair, and Kasumi are all unconscious. Satoshi and Shigeru are…otherwise occupied, to say the least. Which leaves…"

"Butch," Morty answered, frowning a bit. "It almost seems too easy."

"Glad you feel that way," Sylvie said, coming to a stop. "Although, I wouldn't tell him that. Yet."

A moment later, Butch stepped into view, and his face instantly broke into a snarl. "YOU!" he shouted, glaring at Sylvie.

Sylvie rolled her eyes. "Are we going to battle or just shout at each other all night?"

Butch started, then smirked. "Fine with me. I'll take you both on!"

Sylvie actually smiled, though it had nothing to do with happiness. "Joy," she said dryly. "But this time, you pay for what your partner did to Sabrina…and what you tried to do to Sylvie. This time…we fight to the death."

"Agreed," Butch snapped. "And you will pay for what your sister did to Cassidy, you little witch!"

"Well, if you're willing to give up two perfectly good Pokémon and your own life, don't let me to stop you."

Morty hesitated, though not out of fear. "Sylvie," he said quietly. "While I marvel at your tenacity, I have to wonder if this is wise. You only woke up a few hours ago. Should you really be pushing your powers, considerable as they are?"

Sylvie looked amused, if nothing else. "While your concern is greatly appreciated, Morty, it is misplaced. I need no psychic powers to read Butch. He is an open book to one such as me. A children's book, in fact…with pretty pictures and no words worth saying, anyway. But if it will ease your mind, I'll go first so you won't have to worry about me when you battle."

That wasn't quite the response Morty had been looking for.

But Sylvie was already lowering her backpack to the ground. "Go, Sweetie. Make Mommy proud."

Sweetie hopped out of the backpack and bounced in place excitedly, looking very determined. "Smooch!"

Butch grinned. "You've GOT to be kidding me."

* * * * *

Gary didn't like leaving Kasumi and Cleo alone, and even when he'd dispatched Leon to guard them, it didn't feel right. Kasumi and Shigeru had been in love, after all. She might feel betrayed when she woke up, and the last thing Gary needed was Satoshi's wrath coming down on his head. There was already too much going on that he didn't understand. He hated walking into any situation blind; it gave the enemy the advantage.

Well, not totally blind.

Sally the Celebi was walking just in front of him, her body giving off a soft, celestial glow that lit up the otherwise dark corridor. She was definitely turning out to be a terribly useful Pokémon. But then, he'd expected nothing less from a legendary that didn't even show up in his Pokédex.

Eve suddenly twitched on his shoulder.

"What is it, girl?" Gark asked, stopping to stroke her back.

"I…I sense something powerful…and…evil…" She moved closer to his cheek. "Gary, I'm scared…"

Sally had stopped as well, but for an entirely different reason.

A steel door, marked only with a large, ominously crimson number 2, loomed before them.

Gary stepped forward and placed his hand on the keypad. As it had before, the security system confirmed that his genetic structure matched Shigeru's exactly. The door rumbled and then slid open.

The lab looked just as it had hours ago…but empty.

The legendaries were gone, yet their glass prisons remained sealed. It was as if someone had let them out and then went to the trouble of closing the tubes again. Or perhaps the Pokémon had somehow passed through the glass.

Sally immediately went over to the security cameras and began jabbing at the console with her vines.

Gary hesitantly touched the tube that had once contained Entei. It was not overly warm, nor too cold. No clues there. He was just about to withdraw his hand when a vision leaked into his mind.

…Sentry raising a paw, telekinetically rearranging the molecules in the glass so the three legendary beasts could pass through them…

The idiocy of Giovanni was suddenly all too clear…and disturbing. How could he trust such a powerful Pokémon-and Mewtwo's heir, no less-to guard his most prized Pokémon? Why would he take such a risk?

Trophies, came the immediate answer. He didn't want the beasts to use. He only wanted them so he could say he'd done what no one else had: caught Entei, Suicine, and Raikou. Perhaps, once he'd had Clair break their individual wills, or "tamed" them, he would've given them to his Elite.

Gary glanced over his shoulder, only slightly surprised to find that Sally had pulled up a view of the arena. All three legendary beasts were sitting on the sidelines, looking restless. Satoshi stood next to Entei, occasionally glancing down to check on the unconscious Pikachu in his arms. It looked as if he might be talking to someone.

For no real reason at all, Gary began to tap his fingers against the glass. It was becoming clear that he wasn't going to find anything in Lab 2. Whatever had caused the dark wave of power was probably long gone. Eve had just sensed the aftermath of its power, nothing more. Although he couldn't ever recall her being this spooked over nothing. Even now, she was still shaking slightly on his shoulder.

Then, on the screen, someone stepped in front of Satoshi, a tattered, brown cloak swirling about them. The person blocked the view for a few more seconds before turning, squatting, and peering directly into the camera so that there could be no mistaking his identity.

Gary's throat went dry, and he found it hard to breathe.

Shigeru stared at him for a long moment, before suddenly raising his hand in a wave and grinning merrily.

Almost at once, there was a soft, nearly inaudible click.

Gary's eyes were drawn back to Entei's tube, only to find that it and the others were sinking into the floor.

Eve suddenly became frantic. "Gary…let's just go….please?!"

"Sorry, girl," Gary murmured sympathetically, reaching up to stroke her back. "But we've come too far to turn back now."

Perhaps, if he'd realized that all the cameras had gone dead, he would've agreed with her.

A large, black platform was now rising out of the floor. It was nearly twice the size of a helicopter pad, and seemed to pulse with energy.

Sally returned to Gary's side, gazing at the platform with great interest. Slowly, she tapped the edge of it with an exploring vine.

Gary was the first to notice the black substance creeping nearer and nearer to his feet. It all seemed to originate from the platform-and then he knew that it was not a platform at all.

But by then, the surface had begun to ripple ominously, and two yellow, glowing eyes peered out of the darkness. Then a head rose out of the liquid, followed by a long, sleek neck.

Gary took a few steps back and scooped Sally into his arms. "What are you?" he whispered, not sure whether to be afraid or just in awe.

The eyes flashed dangerously. "Hopelessness, despair, and fear. Darkness within darkness. Evil without equal."

"But…you're a Pokémon," Gary protested weakly. "They're not…"

"Evil? No, they are not." The black head seemed to dip and lean forward. "But man is evil. And the evil of man can corrupt…taint…infect." The liquid sloshed loudly, and two appendages that might've been wings made a brief appearance. "Once, I was the most powerful Pokémon alive. What you see before is not my evolution, but my regression. Yet, in this form, I have harnessed a new, untapped potential within me. A potential for evil, and a thirst for destruction. And now that you have freed me, you will be the first to witness my grand design."

"I don't understand. You're the one controlling the Elite Five? Why? And…why are you helping the Rocket League?"

The creature snarled. "Helping is hardly the word for it. For centuries, I hid myself in the deepest part of the oceans, away from the foolishness of man. But one day, Giovanni and his men blasted their way into my resting place. I would've destroyed them instantly for their arrogance…if not for the Pokémon."

"What Pokémon?" Gary asked.

"There were three Pokémon I had never seen before. Each had been…tainted by man, and yet…their transformations were by far the most extraordinary I'd ever seen. I will show you."

Gary's Pokédex suddenly beeped, and he drew it from his pocket. "Kingdra, the Dragon Pokémon. Slowking, the Royal Pokémon. Politoed, the Frog Pokémon. Mewtwo, the Genetic Pokémon."

"They're all half water types, except Mewtwo," Gary murmured. "Kasumi must've been there…"

"Yes," the creature confirmed. "Once the girl arrived with her Pokémon, the men drew back. But she didn't give the Pokémon a single command. As soon as she released the Slowking, they all began to act. The Mewtwo prevented me from escaping, and the Kingdra battled me relentlessly." The creature's eyes flashed as it spoke. "Never before had I faced such an unstoppable foe. It turned away all my attacks with little more than a nod, and we fought for hours. A long stream of fire flew from its mouth, but instead of burning, it paralyzed me completely."

"Dragonbreath," Gary muttered. "Clair's suggestion, no doubt."

"Then the Politoed came forward and began to sing. It was a haunting, echoing tune, and I could sense it was trying to put me to sleep. But by sheer strength of will, I fought it with everything I had left. Suddenly, the cave was full of Poliwhirl. With no regard for their bodies, they flung themselves at me."

Gary could almost picture each Body Slam taking its toll. It was probably a good thing they hadn't been Poliwrath.

"The Poliwhirl fell back, and they all began to sing as one. I couldn't fight them off. The last thing I remember was the girl coming towards me with a blue pokéball before I fell asleep."

Gary was finding it a little difficult to believe that Kasumi had captured such a powerful creature. Especially one with such a hatred of humanity.

The dark Pokémon chuckled. "My hatred did not exist until I was exposed to the true horrors of the Rocket League. Do you know what their ultimate goal is?"

"World domination," Gary replied automatically.

"Concerning Pokémon, though?"

Gary paused. "To possess the most powerful Pokémon."

"Only half right. Their goal is to create the most powerful Pokémon. Man-Giovanni especially-is not satisfied with just having legendary Pokémon. He must create them in order to be truly proud."

"But legendaries can't be bred," Gary noted.

"No," the dark Pokémon agreed, "they cannot. But they can be created through science, technology…and a large amount of pain on the donor's part. Though I sincerely doubt that any legendary willingly parted with their genetic material for Giovanni's purposes."

"Has he…made any progress?"

The Pokémon's head loomed closer, nearly touching Gary's. "Have you ever seen an Abra that can't sleep because it's in constant pain? Or a Charizard that can't fly because it's wings are made of ice? Or a Magnemite that can bleed because it has a molten lava core? Or an Electabuzz electrocuting itself because its powers were too strong? That's what happens when you inject Pokémon with legendary DNA. And that was just from Zapdos, Moltres, Articuno, and Mewtwo. There's no telling what mistakes will be born if Giovanni has a chance to experiment with the three legendary beasts."

"What about you?" Gary asked, then wished he hadn't.

The creature slowly moved its head away. "I have no name now. But I remember what I used to be."

Gary's Pokedex beeped. "Lugia, the Diving Pokémon."

* * * * *

Butch growled as Cassidy's prize Rapidash fell to the ground, completely frozen by the Smoochum's first attack. "This isn't possible!" he screamed.

"But it is," Sylvie replied, kneeling to pat Sweetie's head. "Subzero is the only ice attack that's guaranteed to freeze the opposing Pokémon…even fire types. I would expect one of the Elite to know that…"

Butch licked his lips and grinned. "Elite, huh? I'll show you the TRUE power of the Elite!!!"

As if in response, a pokéball beneath Butch's cloak began to glow crimson.

Butch grabbed it and tossed it out quickly, as if it hurt him to hold it. Tiny flames sprang up where the pokéball hit the ground. "Let's see what you can do against the unstoppable power of MOLTRES THE MIGHTY!!!"

The pokéball simply exploded outward, never to be used again. A column of fire enveloped the area between the two rebels and the Elite trainer, scorching the grassy ground completely. It was impossible to see through the flames, but an ear-piercing shriek announced the arrival of the third legendary bird.

Sylvie didn't look the least bit afraid, but Sweetie trembled and hid in the safety of her trainer's arms.

"I believe it's my turn." Morty stepped forward, fingering a solid black pokéball in his left hand.

Butch sneered as the column of fire gradually died down, revealing Moltres just above them. "You dare to challenge Moltres with a mere ghost Pokémon?!"

"Not quite. This is the ultimate ghost type." Morty smiled. "Pay attention, Sylvie. You might learn something." With an almost careless motion, he tossed out the pokéball.

"FIRE BLAST!" Butch yelled before it could open.

The glowing symbol of fire slammed into the pokéball, surrounding it completely in flames.

Morty was still smiling. "Withdraw."

Butch stared at him. "What are you…?"

A violet shell was soon revealed at the point of impact. It was, very obviously, a large Cloyster shell.

"You're crazy," Butch whispered, a twisted grin spreading across his face. "No! You're NUTS!"

"Am I?" Morty asked. "My Cloyster still stands. Perhaps your Moltres isn't as mighty as you would believe."

Outraged by the insult, Moltres dove at the Cloyster shell.

"FIRE DRILL!" Butch shouted, laughter in his tone.

The flaming beak of Moltres came down on the shell with a loud crunch, and a tiny crack appeared…but not in the shell. Moltres shrieked in anger and pain as it rose up, readying its most powerful attack.

"Now you're going to pay! HELL ON EARTH!"

The sky turned a smoldering orange as Moltres went higher and higher. Impossibly, a ray of sun broke through the once night sky.

"Incredible," Sylvie murmured. "Moltres can summon the sun itself…"

"Not for long." Morty threw back his cloak. "Cloyster! REVELATION!"

An unearthly scream began from the depths of Cloyster's shell, rising to bloodcurdling as the shell slowly creaked open.

Sylvie and Sweetie wailed in pain as the scream assaulted their ears. Sylvie was vaguely aware of why it hurt so much. The scream itself was the indeed the cry of a ghost…and, amazingly enough, it was just the beginning of the most powerful dark attack she'd ever seen.

Something black and violet flew from Cloyster's shell, rocketing into the sky with astounding speed.

Even if Moltres had been watching, there was no way even its speed could dodge Cloyster's attack. The instant the black substance touched Moltres's flame aura, it stopped…and so did the flames.

Moltres looked down in surprise, naked without its flames for the first time in its long existence.

The black substance threw itself at Moltres and engulfed the bird totally. Black, hungry tendrils flew from the central mass, reaching across-and into-the sky.

Morty raised his arms. "RETURN!"

The black substance flew back into the shell and clamped shut, the sound echoing throughout the still night. The sky was dark again, the night restored.

There was a tiny beep, and Morty turned to see that Sylvie had her Pokédex out.

"Revelation (Dark/Ghost). Cloyster's most powerful attack. Few Cloyster can use this move, and those that do can only learn Withdraw, Return, and Rest in addition. The move can and should only be used every ten years, as the energies it releases are so enormous, they could endanger the Cloyster."

Morty patted the shell. "Rest, old friend. Rest well."

There was a sigh from deep within the shell as the Cloyster fell asleep.

"I don't suppose you managed to breed your Cloyster from a Snorlax?" Sylvie asked.

"No," Morty replied with a smile. "Actually, it's not really a Cloyster anymore. There's just no name for what it's become."

"I'm listening," Sylvie said.

"Very well. You know that Slowpoke evolve when a Shellder clamps onto their tails. My Cloyster evolved in much the same way. It happened while I was training in Mt. Silver."

"I knew it!" Sylvie cried. "It's been possessed by a Misdreavus!"

"Yes and no," Morty said. "There IS a Misdreavus in there, somewhere. But it works with Cloyster, not against it. Although with Cloyster being Water/Ice, Misdreavus needs large amounts of heat to sustain itself. I have to keep it in my active party at all times, and always very close to my body."

"Then why do they live in Mt. Silver?"

"Simple. The more powerful the Pokémon, the more heat Misdreavus can draw from it. It's not the cold that draws them there. There's just no other place in the world with more powerful Pokémon."

Sylvie glanced around. "Where's Butch?"

Morty recalled Cloyster. "You did say it was a life-or-death battle. You are alive, aren't you, my dear?"

Her eyes widened with understanding.

"Yes, he was a person. But to Cloyster, he was just another heat source. I'm amazed there was no indigestion."

Just then, a gaseous shade took shape before Sylvie.

"Mr. Mist! What are you doing here?" she asked, raising a hand, as if to hold the shade in her hand.

Red eyes formed in the shade.

"Really? You're sure? In that case, we better find Satoshi first."

"What is it?" Morty asked, obviously uncomfortable with not understanding a ghost.

"Mr. Mist says that Lugia-or whatever he is now-is loose. And he's mad."

Morty frowned. "This night keeps getting better and better…"

* * * * *

Duplica was amazed at how simple it had been to slip into Rocket League HQ. She was beginning to suspect that someone had already disarmed most of the security systems. It was the why that bothered her. She could never remember Giovanni being so confident as to invite them into his headquarters, even when he'd controlled Mewtwo. Something was very, very wrong about all this.

Just ahead of her, Copycat paused, kneeling on the floor.

Duplica stopped as well. Despite the fact that Copycat was deaf and mute, she could somehow sense things that most people who could hear would miss. In truth, there was no one else Duplica would trust enough to guide her safely through unknown territory. Of course, that still didn't mean she had to like the girl at all.

The two were related, of that there could be no doubt. Duplica considered Copycat her cousin, while Copycat preferred to see Duplica as her sister. Ever since they could crawl, both had devoted themselves to imitation acts. Duplica specialized in humans, and Copycat in Pokémon. But while Duplica's "House of Imitate" had bombed, Copycat's Pokédolls had become world-famous. She'd made a fortune after signing an exclusive deal with Celadon's Shopping Mall, but had just put all the money right back into making the dolls she loved so much. In Duplica's eyes, she was either a genius or dumber than a Slowbro.

Duplica touched Copycat's shoulder gently. "What is it, Cat?"

Copycat held up two fingers, then pointed three downward in an M shape.

Duplica frowned. Two Pokémon that started with M. That didn't help.

Copycat then struck a bodybuilder's pose.

"Machamps," Duplica whispered.

Copycat smiled and tapped Duplica's nose, indicating she was right, then raised a hand high in the air.

"BIG Machamps," Duplica corrected herself, fingering a pokéball in her hand. "Probably pumped up on steroids, too. I can take one if you take the other."

Copycat nodded, already drawing a pokéball from her cloak.

Duplica peered around the corner, taking in the situation.

At the end of the corridor was the master security panel. The Machamps stood on either side of it, alert and probably anxious to tear something apart. They were much bigger than any Duplica had ever seen…and then she noticed the power belts. Not just around their waists, but on each of their limbs as well. No Pokémon could stand up to a physical assault from that kind of power.

But then, if her strategy worked out, they'd never touch her Pokémon.

The girls rolled their pokéballs down the corridor as one.

The Machamps looked up at once, frowning.

The pokéballs split open just as the Machamp surged forward, gray and impossibly huge.

An Espeon took shape first, knocking the fighting Pokémon back with a Psybeam.

There was a loud caw as a Dodrio emerged, leaping at the Machamp and pecking with all three of its heads. The beaks became little more than spinning blurs as they struck mercilessly and with incredible speed. In a matter of seconds, the Machamp were slumped against the wall, their once-proud crests bloody and broken.

Copycat looked questioningly at Duplica and pointed at the Espeon.

Duplica shrugged, grinning. "So Shigeru inspired me. It worked, didn't it?"

The girls started toward the control panel, but before they could reach it, Copycat stopped again, her eyes darting around suspiciously.

"What is it?" Duplica asked. "C'mon, we gotta hurry, Cat!"

Copycat nodded, and kept watching the corridor as Duplica shut down the security. She couldn't shake the feeling that something was watching them, something powerful and evil.

Once Duplica was done, she grabbed Copycat's hand and dragged her away.

The hall was silent then, even as a coal-black figure gracefully floated out of the shadows. It watched the girls run off, then gave the security panel a long look. Finally, with an almost human smirk, it returned to the darkness, its feline tail waving in glee behind it.

* * * * *

It was not in Satoshi's nature to battle just to pass the time.

Shigeru, however, was of a different opinion, and wanted to demonstrate how powerful extensive training on Mt. Silver (and upgrades from the Unown, no doubt) had made his Pokémon. He'd also pointed out that Sentry would be gone for a while, and there was nothing else to do but wait, which was boring.

He'd also implied, rather loudly, in fact, that Satoshi might be afraid to take on the REAL Shigeru.

That had done it.

Since Charizard was already out, Satoshi had gone with him.

Shigeru grinned. "Great. This gives me a chance to prove the power of the Unown." He drew out a pokéball. "Don't say I didn't warn you, old friend. Go, Blitz!"

A huge Ursaring emerged, looking especially ill-tempered.

If Satoshi was surprised, he didn't show it. "Fire Spin."

Charizard belched out a flame chain that quickly circled the bear.

Shigeru laughed. "Thrash!"

Blitz instantly charged through the flames, totally ignoring the fact that much of him was on fire, and rained heavy blows on the fire dragon's chest.

Charizard staggered under the blows, then directed a Flamethrower straight into the bear's face.

Blitz stumbled back, growling in pain, but still managed to clip Charizard's head with a right paw that left the dragon reeling.

Satoshi frowned. "Seismic Toss."

Charizard launched himself at Blitz, grabbing him around the middle and soaring high into the air.

Shigeru chuckled. "Predictable. You still don't get it."

Charizard came hurtling down, intent on slamming Blitz into the ground. But the wily bear rolled in midair, executing a perfect Reversal just before they crashed into the ground, with Charizard taking all the impact. Blitz got up at once. Charizard didn't get up at all.

"Submission."

Satoshi would later swear that Blitz actually grinned before roughly dragging Charizard up by his wings. The powerful bear lifted the dragon high into the air, and with a grunt, bit down savagely on his spine.

Charizard's resulting roar of pain shook the entire arena, and he struggled all the harder, but to no avail.

If someone asked him, Satoshi would say that he and Charizard had been through hell and back. But never before had he seen his loyal friend in such torment. For the first time in a long time, he was tempted to forfeit the match.

But Charizard's eyes met his trainer's, and he knew to do that would be an unforgivable insult.

Blitz waited, and when it became clear that Satoshi wasn't going to forfeit, bit down again.

Charizard wailed, and tears actually fell from his eyes as he continued to fight helplessly.

Shigeru frowned. "Don't think Blitz won't bite him in half, Satoshi. Surrender."

But Satoshi didn't hear him. He turned away, unable to watch the scene any longer. But nothing could make him deaf to Charizard's agony.

Ten endlessly long minutes passed, with Charizard's cries growing so weak that they were squeals. Had Satoshi looked, he would've seen that Blitz's mouth was soaked with the dragon's blood.

Finally, Satoshi sank to his knees. "Stop it. Just…stop." He couldn't bring himself to say that he gave up. He'd destroyed Charizard's pride as it was.

Blitz looked to his trainer for confirmation, then let Charizard slide slowly to the ground.

Though the dragon no longer had the strength to stand, his eyes blazed with hatred as he looked at his trainer's back.

"I'm sorry, old friend," Satoshi whispered.

Charizard roared weakly, perhaps trying to will the flames from his throat so he could roast Satoshi alive. But he had nothing left, and fainted.

Shigeru walked over to Satoshi. One of the Unown broke from the living, spinning ring around his waist, and floated over to land on Charizard's forehead. Instantly, the horrible would began to close up.

"No force can stand up to the power of the Unown," Shigeru said quietly, placing a hand on Satoshi's shoulder. "None."

"He'll never listen to me again," Satoshi murmured. "I'll have to release him."

"Maybe. But he will live on. And if it's a new dragon you'll be needing…"

Shigeru placed a tan egg with black spots in front of him.

"What is this?" Satoshi asked.

"A gift to say I'm sorry for leaving. Well, without telling you, anyway. Leaving was the best thing I ever did."

* * * * *

Sentry didn't bother to knock when he reached Giovanni's office. He merely tore the door off its hinges with a wave of his paw.

Giovanni looked up from his paperwork, but didn't appear to be worried. "Yes?"

"I. Quit."

"Fine," Giovanni said, looking back at his papers.

Sentry growled and tore the desk in half.

Giovanni looked up. "You may go," he said angrily.

"Thanks, but not just yet." Sentry walked right up to him. "I haven't killed you yet."

"And why would you want to do that?"

"You killed my father. Among other reasons. Like being a cold, calculating, basta-"

"Crunch," said Giovanni calmly.

Sentry barely realized that sound of flesh tearing was the sound of his own flesh tearing until it was far too late. With a strangled cry, he fell to the floor, never to rise again.

Giovanni smiled and stroked his pet. "Good kitty."

In his lap, the black cat purred happily and leaned into his fingers, its jaws dripping with blood.

* * * * *

The girl sat up with a gasp.

Leon looked up in alarm. "Uh oh."

She stared at him for a moment, and then at the unconscious Espeon beside him.

"It's not what it looks like. Really. Um…she was like that when I got here?"

She frowned.

"Honest. When this mess is all over, we're gonna have an egg, I swear to-"

"Alright, Mistress?" asked a voice beside her.

She turned to see her favorite Pokémon staring up at her hopefully. "Togepi?!" she cried in shock.

The Togetic gave her a puzzled look, and then his confusion faded. "Ma…Mama?" he asked in a childish squeal.

Leon winced.

The girl wrapped Togetic in a big hug, tears rolling down her face. "I've missed you so much, Togepi…but you're a big boy now, aren't you?"

"I think I'm going to hurl," Leon said in disgust.

"Then aim somewhere else, would you?" Cleo murmured as she slowly opened her eyes.

"Cleo?!" In his excitement, Leon leaned down and licked her nose.

"It's…nice to see you, too," Cleo admitted, her cheeks burning.

"Uh…right, sure. Listen, I'm glad you're up. Red here is probably gonna be unstable, so you'd better make with the psychic crap and-"

"Misty is fine."

"What? No, her name's Kasumi."

Cleo smiled. "Not anymore, it's not. I don't know how he did it, but Trainer Gary's restored her. I can sense her thoughts are definitely her own now. Before, her mind was murky, hard to read. Now it's bright and clear. The darkness is lifting."

"No kidding," Leon whispered, his eyes widening.

Cleo followed his gaze to the window, where something huge and solid black was lifting slowly and majestically into the air.

Misty gasped. "Lugia…he's escaped!"

"That is one big, pissed-off seahawk." Leon frowned. "Dammit. He's got Gary."

"WHAT?!" Misty and Cleo cried together.

"Oh, come on, I KNOW you heard me the first time…"

* * * * *

"How come we haven't found it yet?" Mary whined.

"I don't know," Mikey admitted. "I figured a big cave would be hard to miss…"

"The Rocket League has a tendency to hide things it doesn't want found, kids," Nurse Joy said. "I wouldn't put it beyond them to hide Dragon's Den. But I don't see why we should head there."

"Because THAT'S where the dragons are," Mary said at once.

Mikey nodded. "And if we catch one, we stand a better chance of not getting beaten in a battle."

"Even if we did get a Dratini-"

"Dragonair," Mary corrected.

"EVEN if we got one, it would still need tons of experience to stand a chance around here," Joy said.

Mikey just looked at her. "What do you think dragons do all day? Twiddle their thumbs?"

"Don't have any," Mary added. "Don't twiddle their tails, either. Mostly they fight. The older ones, anyway."

"Well, any dragon's better than none," Mikey muttered. "And since I don't think Blissey and Chansey are gonna fight, we'd better get more than one."

Nurse Joy turned bright red, but kept quiet.

Roughly three minutes later, something flew over their heads.

"DRAGON!" Mary positively shouted. "GET IT!"

Mikey's Delibird aimed an Ice Beam in the direction of the passing Pokémon. There was a very loud, decidedly un-dragonlike squawk of rage, followed by a crash and a string of vivid curses. Mary covered her ears at once, but Mikey grinned.

A few moments later, something came crashing through the brush, sounding like a mad Rhydon.

"DRAGON!" Mikey and Mary yelled happily, leaping at the emerging figure.

There was a brief scuffle, in which more curses sprang up and Delibird lost several of its tail feathers.

"Stop! Kids, stop!" Joy cried, finally recognizing the cursing, strangely enough. "For heaven's sake, it's not a dragon, it's CASEY!!!"

The fight stopped at once. Mary had her teeth in an ankle, and Mikey had wrapped himself around Casey's neck in an attempt to wrestle her to the ground.

"Aw, it IS just Casey," Mikey moaned, earning a slap that quickly dislodged him.

"I tried to tell you MANIACS that when I first flew over!" Casey shouted. "But SOME idiot shot down my Terry!"

At her side, an Aerodactyl with a frosted rear end stared angrily at Delibird, munching some tail feathers in what it hoped was a rather suggestive manner.

"You're NOT supposed to be here, young lady," Joy snapped.

"Yeah, well, Ash wasn't supposed to go bad, and look where THAT'S gotten us." Casey frowned. "Have you seen him?"

"Nope," Mary replied. "No dragons, either." Then she noticed Aerodactyl. "DRAG-!!!"

"NO," said Casey. "Well, yeah, he kinda is, but he's not wild; he's mine. So back off."

"Aww!"

Suddenly, a roar of pain floated through the night sky.

"Dragon?" Mary asked quietly, looking worried.

"Not for much longer, it won't be," Casey muttered sadly, tears in her eyes. "C'mon, guys…"

Joy followed in silence. She'd recognized the roar, too, and murmured a prayer for Ash Ketchum's Charizard, hoping the pain didn't last too long.

* * * * *

With security disabled, it had been fairly easy for Jenny's squad to round up most of the Rocket League personnel. Most of them were either too confused or too afraid to put up much of a fight, but no one was willing to say just why that was.

Once Duplica & Copycat rejoined the group, the question of what to do next came up.

"We know there's still some personnel missing," Chigusa said. "Sylvie said she and Morty would handle the Elite, but I'm not so sure even they could take Lance & Clair. And there's still the boss himself."

"And he's never been a pushover," Jessie added, her eyes narrowed.

"I think we should call Brock," Duplica suggested. "Make sure they haven't sent someone out there to finish off Sabrina."

Jenny nodded. "Chigusa, you get Brock on the line. Jessie, James, and I will see if we can find Giovanni. The rest of you stay here and look after the prisoners."

Duplica watched leave with a frown. "I don't like this, Cat. It's been too easy so far."

Copycat grabbed her arm and pointed anxiously at a nearby window.

"What? What do you see? There's no…oh no."

Before Chigusa could look back to ask what was wrong, there was a loud shattering of glass. When she finally did look, the window was no more, and both girls were gone.

* * * * *

Gary tightened his grip on the thick, black appendages that rose from Lugia's back, convinced that he'd never ridden anything that traveled so fast. But then, Lugia wasn't its name anymore, and it hadn't really provided him with a new one just yet.

"Dark Lugia would be most appropriate," said the bird, reading his thoughts in a heartbeat.

"I still don't get it. If you hate man so much, why didn't you kill me?"

"I would still be trapped if not for you. The lock on my holding cell has a specific genetic imprint inside it. Only those of Giovanni's bloodline can open it without serious bodily harm."

Gary froze. "What? What did you say?"

But Dark Lugia didn't speak again until they were clear of the north island that contained Lab 2. "There," he rumbled ominously, nodding towards the western island. "That's where we're going."

"What's there?" Gary asked, spotting the arena in the distance.

"Destiny, and the end," the legendary replied before lifting his head and letting out a bloodcurdling song of war.

Gary shuddered, feeling each note vibrating beneath him, and paused when he heard three distinctive roars, all of them originating from the arena. In his lap, Sally shifted her weight and released a sweet-smelling fragrance that calmed Gary immensely.

Dark Lugia swooped down over the arena, his yellow eyes quickly taking in the scene. Then he let out another long cry of battle.

The pokéball around Satoshi's neck shuddered violently, then burst open as Zapdos soared into the air, screeching his greeting to the other legendary bird. They landed as one, and Gary quickly leaped to the ground, turning to catch Sally as she slid into his arms.

Satoshi had been kneeling next to Entei, even after Zapdos's outburst, but now he stood.

Gary stared at him for a long moment, trying to think up a reasonable excuse. He was understandably distracted when he spotted the three legendary beasts together again, but he needn't have bothered.

"Well," said a familiar voice. "We're all together, almost. I imagine Kasumi-or Misty-is on her way."

Gary turned…and came face to face with himself. He clutched Sally to his chest tightly.

Shigeru grinned at him. "Hey, bro," he said cordially. "Welcome to the party."

* * * * *

Continued in Chapter 11: Facing the Unown

Shigeru speaks about why he left. Misty arrives with help. Giovanni's pet attacks…again. Plus, the moment we've all been waiting for: Gary vs. Shigeru!