Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Ripples ❯ Epilogue ( Chapter 12 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Ripples

Chapter 12

Kerri: Epilogue

It had been two weeks since Ash, his friends, and Team Rocket had resumed their journey. Today, it was raining fiercely, and we’d just finished the chores, so I stared out the window.
I picked up a sketchpad and began idly sketching. Images of Ash, Misty, Brock, James, and their pokémon filled the pages.
“You miss them, don’t you?” said Jade.
I nodded. “I miss them all--well, except Jessie and maybe Meowth. I can’t help but hope that Ash will achieve his dream of becoming a pokémon master. That’s something I can’t have.”
“Why not?” said Jade.
“Jade, it’s been almost eight years since I competed! Besides, I have to help Nigel run the farm. It was different when Mom and Dad were alive,” I replied as I remembered how it had been before the accident. “We don’t have enough help to run the farm if I leave. It’s too late,” I said sadly.
“Not necessarily, Kerr,” said Nigel. He stood in the doorway, studying me. “Having them visit made me realize how isolated we’ve been. After Mom and Dad passed on, we both had to run things. Although I was kind of mad when I was forced to give up on being a pokemon master, at least I got my badges and had the opportunity to compete in the League,” he said. “You, on the other hand, didn’t get as far as I did. And I thought you wouldn't ever be able to compete again, but your powers seem to be under control now, so I’d like you to have that chance, just like Dad and I did.”
“But I’m not sure if my trainer’s license is still valid,” I said.
“Well, find out! It can’t hurt,” he said.
I did. I spoke to the Pokémon League officials and explained the situation to them. After getting a letter from my doctor and a copy of my parents' death certificates, I was permitted to take a special test that allowed me to requalify for competition. Furthermore, there was no expiration date for badges, so my badges were still good. However, it was questionable as to whether I'd won the Cascade Badge; I'd have to speak to the gym leaders about that, and I might have to battle them again. Because it had been so long since I'd competed for a badge, I was strongly advised to compete in local tournaments to get back into the swing of things.
It was possible for me to compete again. But I was scared. I had to speak with Merlin.
"Merlin, do you think my telepathic shields are strong enough for me to be among crowds all the time?" I said.
"You have made considerable progress. I cannot be totally certain, but there is only one way to find out. You must also recall, Mistress, that you have not been totally happy here. Your brother is well suited to his life here. I believe another destiny awaits you," replied Merlin.
I informed my brother of my decision. Consequently, Nigel began looking for extra help, and we began training Steve and Diana to take over many of the responsibilities that I had handled. And whatever was left over Nigel would do himself.
It wasn't too late after all. My dream hadn't been destroyed; it had simply lain dormant like a deciduous tree in winter. Now the spring had come again, and I could travel once more to compete in the Pokémon League.
Converting /tmp/phpRiKTAA to /dev/stdout