Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ TJ, Pokemon Master ❯ TJ's First Battle ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

TJ's First Battle

TJ stopped and sat down on a log. He'd been traveling about an hour now, and so far, he hadn't caught any Pokemon. Then again, he wasn't even sure which Pokemon the old man had given him. "One way to find out, though," he said, enlarging the pokeball. "Pokeball, go!"

The pokeball bounced off the log and opened. To TJ's surprise, a Pidgey appeared on the log next to him. The little bird flapped its wings once and looked at him expectantly.

"Cool! A Pidgey!" TJ shouted.

Pidgey cocked his head and stared at its trainer, obviously confused.

TJ reached into his suitcase and pulled out a tin can. "You hungry, pal?" He set the container in front of the bird. The brown pellets inside didn't look like much to humans, but they were feasts to Pokemon.

The bird hopped over to the can and began to eat. It cawed approvingly before continuing its meal.

TJ smiled and gently stroked the bird's back with one finger. "I think I'll call you Cool Bird. CB for short."

* * * * *

"Well, is it him?" Jessie asked from their hiding place in the bushes.

"No question about it," James replied. "That's the kid. Let's just hope he catches some Pokemon so we'll have good news for the boss."

"And if he doesn't?" Jessie asked, a hint of fear in her voice.

"He will," James said. "He'll have new Pokemon if we have to catch them ourselves!"

* * * * *

TJ hadn't been walking long when he heard a loud cawing. Looking up, he saw a lone Spearow perched on a tree branch. "Looks like it's time to catch my first wild Pokemon," TJ said, fingering a pokeball. "CB, go!"

CB flew up, hovering just in front of the branch. If the Spearow noticed the Pidgey, it didn't show it.

"CB, Gust Attack!" TJ ordered.

CB cawed and beat its wings, creating high-powered winds. Spearow was blasted off the branch, almost crashing into the tree itself before regaining his senses. It doubled back and launched itself at CB, pecking the bird's head angrily. CB fluttered a safe distance back, reeling from the attack.

"CB, use the Sand Attack!" TJ shouted.

CB flapped his wings, and a wave of sand rose up, effectively blinding Spearow. In its confusion, the bird slammed into the tree and collapsed onto the branch.

"All right! Finish it off with the quick attack!"

CB flew through the air at blinding speed, knocking Spearow clear off the branch. The larger bird spiraled down and crashed to the ground, cawing weakly.

"You're mine now, Spearow!" TJ threw his pokeball.

The pokeball bounced off Spearow's head and drew the bird inside. It wobbled for a moment, the center glowing red. Then center then turned white, and the ball grew still.

"Yeah!" TJ picked up the pokeball containing his new Spearow. "Good work, pal!"

CB landed on his shoulder and cawed in agreement.

TJ released Spearow and watched the bird land before him. "Looks like you've got a new friend, CB. Think I'll call him...Razor!"

The newly named Razor squawked and flew up to TJ's other shoulder.

TJ grinned and walked down the path, continuing on his Pokemon journey.

* * * * *

Giovanni was sitting behind his desk when a voice came over the radio.

"Sir, good news! Your nephew started out with a Pidgey, and he's already captured a Spearow!"

"Good. Where is he heading next, James?"

There was a slight pause. "Well, the nearest town is Cerulean City, sir."

"Excellent!" Giovanni said. "Make sure he goes there next. He'll need some water Pokemon to round out his team."

"Yes, sir, but there's one other thing."

"What is it?" the man asked.

James seemed a bit nervous. "I'm not sure where he got the pokeballs, but your nephew doesn't have a Pokedex."

Giovanni stroked his chin. "No matter. I'll take care of that myself. You just get him to Cerulean City."

"Right away, sir!"

* * * * *

When TJ woke up the next day, he felt a slight pressure on his chest. He opened his eyes, only to stare into multi-sectioned eyes of a Venonat.

"Venonat!" the Pokemon cried, hopping up and down on his chest.

TJ slowly reached for the pokeball containing Razor.

Venonat leaped off TJ's chest and raced off into the bushes.

TJ sighed and stood up. He was reaching down to pick up the suitcase when his hand brushed against something that was sticking out of his pocket. Curious, TJ pulled the rolled-up paper out of his pocket. It turned out to be a map of the area. On it in red, someone had drawn a clear path, which started out where he was currently standing. The path went straight to Cerulean City, which was circled on the map.

TJ shrugged and stuffed the map back into his pocket. "I already have two flying Pokemon. Guess I could use a water one, too." As he began walking, TJ didn't notice that Venonat was a few steps behind him.

* * * * *

About an hour later, TJ arrived at Cerulean City. The first thing he noticed was a large river. He sat down on the bank, deciding to take a break. As he did so, there was a loud splash in front of him. TJ looked up to see a Magikarp flopping around in the water. He figured it was already weak, but just to be sure, he pulled out a pokeball.

A moment later, Razor struck the Magikarp with a glancing blow. The fish landed on the bank and collapsed. TJ quickly threw his pokeball and caught the fish. "That's two new Pokemon in two days!" he exclaimed. "Maybe I can still catch another one before the day is over."

* * * * *

"That kid isn't so bad," James murmured. "In fact, he's pretty good for a rookie."

"He's good for anyone," Jessie said. "But then, he is the boss's nephew."

"Should we report this in yet?"

James shook his head. "The next update isn't until he leaves Cerulean City. Maybe he'll have a badge by then."