Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ TJ, Pokemon Master ❯ TJ & Team Rocket ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

TJ & Team Rocket

James chuckled to himself as the trio neared the Viridian City Gym. They'd only been together just over a half hour, and already he could see that TJ was putty in their hands. First, he was young and innocent enough to believe anything. Second, he wanted to understand Pokemon better at any cost. Third, it was plain to see that TJ had a huge crush on Jessie. He hadn't stopped staring at her since they met. Giovanni would be pleased.

Once they did reach the gym, TJ was surprised when Jessie & James walked right past the front entrance. Instead, they went around to the back, where James spoke into an intercom. When a door slid open, he explained that it was programmed to recognize certain voices.

"Why is it so dark?" TJ asked warily.

Jessie quickly glanced at James. "The boss likes it that way. It keeps people thinking we're closed for business."

"So why the trick? You guys hiding something in here?"

James looked at Jessie, who placed her hands on TJ's shoulders. "TJ, if everyone knew there was a sure way to become a Pokemon Master in this gym, don't you think everyone would come here...including trainers that weren't worthy of the title?"

TJ stared at her. "Uh huh."

"So don't you think it's a good idea to appear that we're closed and that we only invite the trainers that show real potential, like you?" Jessie asked, smiling.

TJ blinked. "Uh huh."

"Now don't you think it's time we met the boss?"

He slowly nodded. "Whatever you say, Jessie."

She giggled and kissed him gently on the lips. "Good boy. Let's go."

"Just...give me a sec...to clear my head," TJ mumbled before he passed out.

* * * * *

When TJ woke up, the first thing he realized was that it was still dark. Jessie & James were gone, and so was the suitcase with his Pokemon. "Hello?" TJ asked quietly. He slowly got up. "Is anyone here?"

He was blinded by a great flash of light. When his eyes could focus again, TJ saw that he was in a stadium. There were upraised platforms on each end, were the trainers would stand while battling.

"Don't be afraid, TJ," a voice said.

It took him a few seconds to recognize it. "Jessie?"

"This is your test," James added. "Remember, only the best trainers make it this far. You're the first."

"Where are you guys?" TJ asked, looking around.

"Good luck, kid," Jessie said. "You're going to need it."

A panel slid open on the far wall of the gym, and a strange figure stepped in. It wore metallic armor on the majority of its body, and the skin TJ could see appeared to be different shades of violet.

"Prepare for your greatest challenge," a voice said.

It seemed somewhat familiar to TJ, but he couldn't place it, not right away.

The Pokemon in the armor was now just a few yards away. TJ saw that its muscles were tense, as if waiting for him to make the first move. He also realized that he had never seen this Pokemon before, and that it was probably dangerous. Knowing this, he took a step back.

Instantly, there was a blue flash in the armor's visor, and TJ felt himself being thrown forward. He landed at the feet of the Pokemon.

"You cannot hope to defeat me, child."

TJ looked up at the Pokemon, which turned and began to walk away.

TJ lowered his head for a moment. Jessie & James said this was a test. He certainly hadn't won, so if the Pokemon walked away after striking one blow, it could only mean that TJ had lost. That meant he wouldn't be a Pokemon Master. That meant his dream was over.

Forcing himself to get up, TJ shouted, "STOP!" When the Pokemon didn't stop or even give a sign that he was listening, TJ ran after it and jumped on its back, wrapping his arms around its neck. The Pokemon finally did stop, but only for a moment.

The next thing TJ knew, he slammed into the wall and slid to the floor. Just before darkness clouded his vision, he could see the strange Pokemon standing over him.

* * * * *

"...bravest thing I've ever seen anyone..."

"...extremely careful..."

"...don't think it's broken..."

"...all part of the plan..."

"...experimental operation. It could be fatal..."

"...cut the brain tissue right there..."

TJ groaned and tried to open his eyes. He failed, but he could hear the voices more clearly.

"Boss, he's awake!" Jessie cried

"Impossible! That lipstick had three times the dosage! Increase the sedative! He can't know!"

"We used it all up! There isn't any!" James shouted.

"Then use the morphine! Do something, you idiot!"

"Jessie?" TJ asked weakly. "James?"

TJ felt a gentle hand on his cheek. "Who...Jessie?"

"That's right, sweetie," she said.

He couldn't see her, much as he wanted to. "I can't see! What happened to me?!"

She shushed him and gently kissed his nose. "Sleep, dear."

"No...it hurts...so bad...my head..."

"Sleep," Jessie insisted, pressing her lips to his.

TJ moaned and fell asleep again.

* * * * *

"Wake up, TJ. It's time."

TJ's eyes shot open. "Uncle Giovanni!" he shouted, leaping into his uncle's arms.

Giovanni smiled and stroked the boy's green hair. "It's been a while, hasn't it?"

"Did you come to see me train?" TJ asked.

Giovanni chuckled. "Not quite. I'm here to make you an offer that you can't refuse."

"What kind of offer?"

"I want you to join my team. Of course, it'll be dangerous, so maybe I shouldn't--"

"What team?" TJ interrupted.

"Well, my team is dedicated to better understanding Pokemon. To do this, we catch them, study them, and eventually release them back into the wild. However, this latest mission is much more risky. We've discovered a rival team that is trying to corrupt Pokemon."

"What?! What kind of people would do that?!" TJ cried.

"Sadly, dear nephew, many would. This team has mutated some Pokemon beyond recognition. Here's the proof." Giovanni handed TJ some pictures.

TJ gasped as looked at all the misshapen Pokemon. There was a Squirtle with a cannon twice its size mounted surgically in its shell. A Charmander with two wings that had obviously been removed from a Charizard. A Growlithe that could barely stand because every inch of its body was burned beyond normal recovery. Then a Jigglypuff covered in its own blood, a scalpel lying a few feet away. Finally, a Pikachu struggling as a syringe injected a green liquid into its chest.

TJ threw down the pictures and fell to his knees, tears streaming down his face.

Giovanni pulled his nephew up and hugged him. "Now you see how important our work is. We have to work extra hard not only to study Pokemon, but to save them from people like this. Will you help us, TJ?"

"Yes," TJ mumbled into his uncle's jacket. "I'll help you."

"It will be dangerous. The people that got these pictures barely managed to escape with their lives. As you are my only nephew, I can't risk sending you in there without a good plan." Suddenly, Giovanni's face lit up. "TJ, my boy, I've just had a stroke of genius. These people, evil as they are, recruit trainers to help them capture Pokemon. If I sent you in posing as a trainer, do you think you could help me shut them down for good?"

TJ nodded. "Anything to help the poor Pokemon."

"Wonderful! Welcome to Team Rocket, my boy!" Giovanni said, shaking his hand.