Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ TJ, Pokemon Master ❯ Evolution of Fire ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Evolution of Fire

Blaine smiled as the boy stepped into his underground stadium. "The last challenger that came here was a bit older than you. He proved to be a most worthy opponent. Let's see how well you do."

The boy nodded slightly and drew himself to his normal height. If he had come to this gym a month ago, he would've been sweating and frightened. The heat was blistering, and the fact that the lava was visible beneath the stadium was less than comforting. But he'd been greatly changed since arriving on Cinnabar Island.

Then again, "arriving" was a bad word for it. Especially since he merely woke up in a hotel room with a large envelope. Inside he found detailed instructions from Giovanni, five gym badges, and two new Pokemon: a Growlithe (the very same he guessed James had caught the day they met) and a Lickitung. Along with CB, Razor, Berry, and the Venonat he had named Puff, the boy had a well-balanced team that would be difficult to beat.

"We'll have three different matches," Blaine announced. "One here, inside the volcano, one above it, and one along the side. You use one Pokemon for each. To win a badge, you have to win all three. Think you can handle it?"

"Don't worry about me," the boy said, his voice full of confidence.

Blaine threw out his first pokeball, revealing his prize Magmar. He almost laughed when the boy called out a Pidgey. "Magmar, Flamethrower!"

Magmar opened his mouth, and three fireballs flew out at fantastic speeds.

CB dodged them all easily.

Blaine growled. "Firepunch!"

Magmar charged and leaped into the air, swinging with wild abandon, but CB was always just beyond his reach.

Blaine began to pull on the little hair he had left. "Smokescreen!"

Magmar opened his mouth again, and thick, black smoke spilled out. However, CB used a Whirlwind to blow the smoke right back, blinding the fire Pokemon. He quickly followed up with a Sand Attack to put out the flames of Magmar's Ember.

The boy slowly raised his hand and held up three fingers. Then he placed them in his mouth and whistled.

CB answered with his own shrill whistle, then began to glow with a white light. When it faded away, a mighty Pidgeot flew in its place.

Blaine's mouth dropped open. He'd seen Pokemon evolve in battle, but never to the point that they skipped an entire stage. He was so shocked that he could only watch as the Pidgeot finish off Magmar with a Wing Attack that knocked him senseless.

CB landed next to the boy and flapped his large wings.

"Good job, CB," the boy said, stroking his neck. "We'll win this badge easy."

* * * * *

The next match went very much like the first. Blaine's Ninetails seemed to have the match won, but Razor suddenly evolved into a Fearow and struck with a vicious Fury Attack. TJ was learning that Blaine's Pokemon were so obedient that if their trainer was speechless, they wouldn't be prepared for any attacks without his warnings, nor could they attack without his commands.

The final battle wasn't really a battle at all. It was a test of endurance, strength, and stamina. Each trainer would send a Pokemon into a crater filled with lava. When the crater erupted (very much like a geyser), the Pokemon would have ten seconds to stand and give their trainer the okay signal. If they couldn't answer the ten count, they lost. However, what Blaine didn't mention was that each time, the lava would grow hotter and more powerful.

Blaine chose his Rapidash, since the combined strength of his Magmar & Ninetails would be needed to heat the craters. TJ chose his Growlithe, who he now called Ruff. The fire Pokemon both took their places, and Blaine blew his whistle.

Instantly, two columns of lava shot up, hiding them both from view. Five seconds later, they fell away to reveal both Pokemon were still standing, but badly wounded. The fire mane on Rapidash's back was a much lower, and Ruff appeared to be dizzy. Still, both signaled their trainers at five.

Six eruptions later, both Pokemon were on their knees when the lava fell away, and neither was standing or signaling their trainers before eight. Rapidash's flame mane was lower than ever, and there were several spots on Ruff's sides that were scorched.

By the tenth eruption, Blaine finally decided to have a tie-breaker. The contest would be a race down the side of the volcano, but no ordinary race. They would wait for the volcano to erupt, then ride down with the lava at their heels.

Blaine looked very confident as he mounted Rapidash. TJ didn't look very impressed as he climbed on Ruff's back and patted his neck. "Don't worry, boy. You'll beat them. I know you will."

Suddenly, the volcano erupted with a loud roar. Clouds of ash rained down on both trainers, but they remained still. Ninetails darted past them, which was the signal to start. Rapidash got a good head start, leading by a few feet as the two Pokemon raced down the tall mountain.

TJ could feel the blistering heat as the lava came closer and closer, threatening to take him and Ruff out of the race for good. Finally, just as the lava burned the tip of Ruff's tail, TJ held up two fingers and whistled. Ruff howled, the sound echoing through the warm summer air. Even Blaine heard it, though he was yards ahead.

Ruff continued to howl as his paws burst into flames, slightly forcing him to increase speed. If TJ noticed this, he didn't show it. Ruff continued to run as his tail caught fire. Soon, a fireball that seemed to be rolling down the mountain hid both boy and Pokémon.

By the time the fireball caught up with Blaine, all he could see was a shape of pure white light. When the light finally began to fade, he swore he could hear a shrill whistling. TJ emerged from the dazzling ball of fire, riding atop a huge Arcanine. Again, Blaine was so shocked that Ruff easily passed him, using his new, more powerful form to gain even greater speed.

Blaine was still in shock when his Rapidash whinnied loudly, warning him that the lava was dangerously close. Blaine quickly ordered the horse to go at its top speed. Though winning the race was impossible now, avoiding serious injury wasn't.

TJ and Ruff were waiting patiently at the bottom of the mountain when Blaine & Rapidash arrived. Both were drenched in sweat from the high temperatures and a little tired, but were otherwise perfectly fine.

"You are, without a doubt, the best trainer I have ever seen," Blaine commented, handing TJ a Volcano Badge. "You have truly earned this, TJ. I expect to hear great things about you when you reach the Pokemon League."

"Oh, I think you will," TJ said, admiring the badge. "Great things, indeed. In fact, I just may turn the Pokemon League upside down." He climbed on Ruff's back and quickly rode away, a large smile on his face.

* * * * *

TJ and Ruff traveled until they came to the shoreline. There, the boy was just about to reach for Berry's pokeball when he heard a strange voice.

"We have been watching you, TJ."

TJ paused and looked around. He could see nothing on land, and nothing in the water. Still, he was sure he heard the voice.

"You are exactly the kind of trainer we have been searching for."

Ruff began to bark loudly. Something was bothering him. "Steady, boy," TJ whispered, stroking the fur on his neck. Ruff quieted down a bit, but he continued to whine uneasily.

Suddenly, a dark shape appeared in the water. It came closer until it was right along the shore. Then a blue head with a long neck gradually rose out of the water. "Hello, TJ. I've been waiting for you."

TJ scratched his head. "Never met a talking Lapras before."

"There aren't very many of us, I'm afraid. Would it bother you very much to come with me?"

TJ glanced at Ruff and recalled him into his pokeball. "I don't know. I need to get back to Cerulean City."

"Oh, don't worry. I'll be sure to take you there. In fact, the island I'm going to is on the way there."

"Why are you so interested in me?" TJ asked.

The Lapras seemed to smile. "I belong to a trainer named Katie. She sent me here to find you. You could be the newest recruit."

"Recruit? For what?"

"The PokéMen, an elite group of trainers that take others into their secret camp and teach them how to become great Pokemon trainers."

TJ frowned. "Can't say I've heard of them."

"Oh, you wouldn't have. As I said, we are a secretive bunch. Are you interested in joining?"

"Well, I don't know, Lapras. I really should be getting back to Cerulean, but I'm in no real hurry. What's on this island of yours?"

"A famous professor who excels at giving care to Pokemon. It's time for my check-up, and I'm really anxious to visit her."

TJ thought about it. "Couldn't hurt. Okay, Lapras. You take me to this island of yours, and tell me more about these PokéMen, and I'll consider joining. But you have to take me to Cerulean City afterwards."

Lapras nodded and moved closer to the shore. "Hop on! By the way, you can call me Swift."

TJ carefully stepped onto her back. "Oh? How'd you get that name?"

Swift smiled as she swam away from the shore. "Just watch."

* * * * *

"Wake up, TJ! We're here!"

TJ slowly opened eyes. "Huh? Where?"

"Professor Ivy's island, of course! Don't you remember?"

"Oh. Right." TJ hopped onto the grass. "Might as well let Puff & Ruff get some exercise. C'mon out, guys!" Puff popped out of his pokeball and instantly began running in circles around TJ. Ruff yawned loudly and looked at his new surroundings as TJ climbed onto his back.

"Here's Professor Ivy now!" Swift said.

TJ looked up to see a tall woman with purple hair walking towards them. Her face had a sleepy look about it, as if she would pass out at any moment. Her voice even sounded that way.

"Hello, Swift. It's good to see you again," Ivy said. She flipped through some pages on her clipboard. "Well, I have you scheduled, but I'm afraid I don't have anything for your friends."

"We're not here for a check-up, Professor," TJ cut in. "We're just...um...visiting."

Ivy nodded and looked at Ruff. "That is a very healthy Arcanine. I can tell you've raised him to be a very tough Pokemon." Ruff barked happily and licked her face. "Friendly, too!" she added with a laugh.

After she was done looking over Swift, Ivy invited TJ and his Pokemon to come inside and meet someone. TJ gladly accepted, since he was sure that Swift had brought him here for a good reason.

* * * * *

"Well, that's the last one!"

Brock wiped the sweat from his brow and walked back towards the lab. He'd just finished combing the fur of Professor Ivy's six Growlithes. It was difficult work, too. Since Professor Ivy believed in keeping Pokemon in their natural habitats, she didn't bother to train them. Of course, they'd all gotten used to having her and her assistants around, but even after three months, a few of the Pokemon were still uncomfortable around Brock, including the energetic puppies. Combing their fur included chasing them, wrestling them to the ground, and literally keeping them in a headlock until the job was done. Luckily, Brock was strong enough for that kind of thing.

As he walked into the lab, Brock heard an unfamiliar voice, followed by Ivy's. "We must have guests. Wonder who it could be?"

Brock turned a corner and nearly ran into an Arcanine the size of a small tank (which was still pretty big, all things considered). The color drained from his face as he looked from it to Ivy. "No offense, Professor, but you're gonna have to pay me to comb this one."

Ivy laughed heartily. "No, Brock! This Arcanine belongs to my guest. Say hello to TJ and Ruff!"

Brock then noticed a boy with a Venonat at his feet. After a moment, he slowly shook the boy's hand, and then Ruff's paw. Ruff barked loudly and licked Brock's face with his large tongue.

"Um...it's great to meet you guys, but do you mind if I ask why you're here?"

"I guess we're visiting," TJ said with a shrug. "A Lapras brought me here."

"Lapras, you said?" Brock asked. His eyes grew cloudy. "Ash wrote me a letter about catching his Lapras. Must be pretty neat to ride one." He slowly blinked. "You must be a very good trainer if your Arcanine's this big."

TJ blushed a bit. "Well, I do my best. Most of the credit goes to Ruff, though. Couldn't have gotten my Volcano Badge without him. Right, pal?" Ruff nodded his agreement.

"So, will you be entering the Pokemon League, TJ?" Ivy asked.

"No. Not yet, anyway. After my last battle, I realized there's too much pressure on Ruff as my only fire type. I really want to catch another before I battle again."

Brock thought for a moment. "Well, we've got a few Vulpix here. Of course, you'd have to get Professor Ivy's permission first."

"I think it's a wonderful idea," Ivy said. "You're obviously one of the best trainers, especially for one so young."

* * * * *

Brock carefully picked up a Vulpix from the bunch and stroked its soft fur. "The last time I gave a Vulpix to someone, I knew they'd take special care of it. The trainer that gave it to me knew the same thing. Can I have that same faith in you, TJ?"

TJ nodded. "Someday I'll come back and show you how much better she is."

Brock smiled and handed the Vulpix to him. "In that case, here you go!"

TJ gently cradled the Vulpix in his arms. "Hi, girl. I'm your new trainer," he said softly.

"Vul!" the Vulpix cooed happily, licking his face.

"Does she have a name?" TJ asked.

"No, Professor Ivy doesn't name any of the Pokemon," Brock replied.

TJ looked back at his new Vulpix and tickled her tummy. "Maybe I'll think of a name on my way back to Cerulean City."

Brock was mildly surprised. "You're from Cerulean City?"

TJ shook his head. "I'm supposed to meet someone there in a few days."

"Oh, really? Who?"

TJ blinked and chuckled. "That's the really weird thing. I don't know yet."