Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Fire Soul ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part 2
Completed 3/20/03
Disclaimer: See part 1
 
Of course I don't own pokemon! Anyways, this fic will be championshippy and NOT AAMRN.
 
Chapter 2: Love vs. Duty
 
The sky rumbled. Storm clouds gathered and a faint rain began to fall, covering the land with water.
A figure with golden wings stood and watched impassively. A figure with ice-blue wings and a figure with ruby-red wings stood behind him.
“Storms bring purification to the land.”
“Your mind is not on your duty. You still love her.”
“I don't love her!”
“We can see it in your eyes.”
“I'm not lying!”
“You do not know your own heart…”
Ash turned around and met two pairs of eyes. “Of course I know my own heart!” He snapped as he flew off.
“He's still so young and naïve…”
Sigh. “This stage will pass.”
“He does not truly love her, does he?”
“Only time will tell.”
“I wish….”
One of the figures nodded. “I have decided not to mess in affairs of the heart. It is too painful.”
“But is it not better to have loved and lived, than never to have lived at all.”
“I suppose our opinions will never match. But I have chosen my path, and you have chosen yours. Yet… his is still forming.”
“He is the youngest after all. Thunder was always the most powerful, but also the most innocent.”
“That is deadly.”
“We can only do so much.”
`Yes…” A voice said. “I should leave.”
“I wish you luck.”
“The same to you. In matters of the heart, it is impossible to find anything. But I wish you happiness.”
There was a whirl of feathers, and one figure vanished. A faint flash of red smoke, then, poof, she was gone.
The second figure sighed. There was a flash of light and her ice-blue wings shimmered away. It was only an illusion, after all. Her real wings were dragon's wings, made of steel.
 
Steel dragon wings to replace the feathers that had been destroyed in the last battle against Missingno…
And now, Missingno was rising again, and Thunder was falling to her… had he not learned his lesson last time?
No, a little voice whispered in her head. She sighed. He didn't love her last time. But now… is there even a hope?
Lance sighed and closed her eyes, willing herself into her Dragon Master attire and prepared to head back to Indigo Plateau.
 
Ash was brooding by a stream when he saw her fly by. He looked up, just in time to notice that glint of sunlight off her wings.
Ash rubbed his eyes. * Wait a minute… *
He wasn't sure what to do. But steel? Her wings weren't supposed to be steel! Didn't the prophecy talk about ice-blue feathers?
What was wrong?
He decided to ask.
 
She was already well on her way when she felt his chi behind her. She turned around in midair, cloak rustling softly as it dropped over her wings, hiding them from view, mostly.
She didn't know what to expect of him. Perhaps he was still angry because they had forcibly torn him away from the dark flower… but it had to be done. He had fallen to her enticements before, and the light had nearly been destroyed by the darkness, had not the creators intervened and saved the last shadow child. They could not afford to chance destruction again.
She expected him to scream at her. But he didn't.
“Lance… your wings…”
She could have just flown off, and left him to ponder, but she could not force herself to be angry with him. She could remember all, after all, as Ice had memory carved in her heart, never lost. Love woven in, forever, no matter what.
But Thunder usually could not remember anything from his past at all.
 
“What about my wings?” Playing along with him could not hurt, could it?
“A-ano, aren't they supposed to be blue and silver feathers?”
A grimace quickly concealed by a thin smile. “Oh?”
He seemed to look startled. He could not remember, could he? It was too bad, really. But she wasn't going to just tell him.
“But why?”
A flash of pain in blue eyes, quickly smothered, smoothing out the owner's visage so she showed nothing. “I sacrificed them for my duty once. From then on, I kept them to remind me…”
He was still so young and naïve. He simply blinked in confusion.
She reached down and ruffled his hair, barely a touch, before she was gone, a sudden chill in the air announcing her departure.
And Thunder's child simply stared after her, holding a single fallen steel feather in his hands.
 
Fire's child shook her head. This situation was not working out at all. They needed the combined power, but ice worked not well without thunder.
Her phone rang, and she picked it up, smothering her annoyance.
“Charlotte here.”
“You have a challenger at five P.M.”
“Thank you.” She hung up, noticing the secretary's wince at her tone of voice. She was not in a good mood.
She couldn't understand why Missingno had reappeared, but she knew she had to do something. But throwing her life away for nothing?
She should at least make sure they knew first.
She closed her eyes and felt her red-gold robes flow over her body. Her ruby-red wings, spread out behind her, and she picked up her Fire Blade.
“And so it begins again.”
 
End Chapter 2… DARKNESS!
Created 3/20/03