Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ First to Victory ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
First to Victory: Chapter 2
“No… no… too weak… not even good looking…” Blake sighed as he watched people walk by. He was bored. He had come to Viridian City to battle the gym leader only to find that the leader had taken the day off. So here he was staring at people walking by hoping to find at least one worthy challenger amongst them. He was unimpressed. Everyone he saw looked like rookie material and he had no desire to take on a newbie.
The Pokemon Trainer stood up and started walking through the crowds. A thought in the back of his mind told him that perhaps he was in a bad spot for strong trainers. This thought urged him to move and if he had never moved, he would have never caught a glance of an attractive young women walking into the Pokemart. Though he had only seen her back, he could tell that she had curves and looked to be around his age. Since he could not seem to find a trainer to battle, he quickly made up his mind to try and get a girl. The predator slipped inside the mart in search of his prey.
The mart was filled with various items and potions, but not many people. Blake had little problem locating the woman he sought. She wore a backpack partially covered by her black hair and he could see a smaller pack at her waist. He could not see any Pokeballs, but he also could not see her other side.
He felt a bit stalker like as he watched her grab various Pokemon supplies off the shelves. She was either a trainer, or traveling with one, he concluded. Either way, he would get her.
Blake followed her to the counter before making his move. “Hello, Beautiful, where have you been all my life?” He asked using all his charm.
The female turned her head and looked at him curiously. Blake found himself staring into her emerald eyes. “Oh, it’s just a pervert.”
“Huh?” Blake blinked and wondered if that heavenly, yet disgusted sounding voice belonged to the woman before him.
“Having issues hearing, Mr. Pervert?” the woman spoke again before turning to say something to the cashier.
Blake was stunned. No one had ever refused him in such a way. Actually, he could not remember ever being refused. This female had officially caught his eye in more than one way.
“Sir?” Blake felt a hand on his shoulder.
Blake turned and looked at the cashier. “The young lady said you were paying,” the cashier said holding out the bill. Oh yes, that woman was definitely in Blake’s sight.
~~~~
Marisa laughed to herself as she left the mart. She wished she could have stayed long enough to see that pervert’s face, but had she stayed, the whole thing would have been ruined. She was thankful that the cashier owned her a favor otherwise she would have never been able to pull it off.
If the man had not used such a horrible pick up line, she might not have left him with the bill. He was good looking when his mouth was shut. Messy, yet stylish dirty blonde hair and light blue eyes complemented his well toned body, which he showed off proudly by wearing a red muscle shirt. He carried a black leather jacket over one shoulder while his bag hung over the other. This outfit was finished off with black cargo pants, black boots, and a black belt that carried Pokeballs on it. Yes, in a moment, Marisa had completely scanned him. He looked old enough to be around her age, so she had a feeling that he worked for someone like she did Professor Oak, or he was there to compete in the Indigo League. Either way, she hoped she would not see him again anytime soon.
“Marisa!” A voice called out. Marisa stopped and looked toward the voice. Young Evan was running toward her. “Marisa, you’re back already,” he said stopping in front of her.
“Yeah, Professor Oak wanted me to enter the Pokemon League,” Marisa said not finding a reason to honestly tell Evan the whole story. He was an outsider anyway.
“That makes us rivals!” Evan exclaimed. Marisa nodded. “Let’s have a battle!”
Marisa sighed. She wanted to get going, but she doubted Evan would let her. She had promised to battle him again the next time she came through after all.
“Fine,” she agreed. “It’ll be a single Pokemon match.”
“Then I choose,” Evan threw his Pokeball, “Pidgeotto.” The Pokeball opened and the bird Pokemon came out. Marisa knew he would choose Pidgeotto. It was essentially his strongest Pokemon.
“Looks like your Pidgeotto has recovered from its beating yesterday,” Marisa commented removing a Pokeball from her waist.
“That’s right and we’re ready for a rematch,” Evan said confidently.
“Well then, I’ll use this Pokemon.” Marisa tossed the ball and out came a smaller bird Pokemon.
“Pidgey?” Evan said confused by Marisa’s choice. “Are you making fun of me?”
“Not at all,” Marisa said stroking her Pidgey as it sat on her shoulder. “Don’t underestimate Pidgey.”
~~~~
Blake was mad. He had been rejected, forced to pay for items purchased by the woman that rejected him, and he had lost track of the woman he was interested in. He wished something good would happen.
“There’s a Pokemon battle going on!” a kid yelled as he ran by. Blake shrugged and followed the kid since he had nothing better to do. In the end, he was glad that he did. The female that was on his mind was there and she was one of the battlers.
‘So, she is a trainer,’ Blake thought as he watched Pidgey and Pidgeotto fly at and around each other.
“Pidgey, fly down low and get under Pidgeotto!” the female ordered. The small bird did as it was told, but the other trainer was not going to let it succeed.
“Pidgeotto, stop it with Wing Attack!” he yelled. The other bird dove toward the smaller bird.
“Pidgey, hit it with Sand Attack,” the female calmly ordered.
“Dodge!” Pidgeotto attempted to avoid the attack, but the dive limited movement and it was hit.
“Finish this with a Tackle attack!” Pidgey flew up and rammed into the blinded Pidgeotto knocking it to the ground.
Blake watched the young trainer run to his Pokemon. The match was over. Blake had to admit that the female was skilled. Not many could defeat an evolved Pokemon with its pre-evolved form. However, her opponent was not very strong. She baited him and he fell for it. Still, he wanted a chance to battle her and after making him pay for her stuff, he was determined to get that battle.
~~~~
Pidgey flew and perched happily on Marisa’s shoulder as its trainer pulled out a cube of Pokemon food from her waist pack. Marisa held the cube up and let Pidgey eat it. “You need to think more ahead,” she told Evan while watching Pidgey eat. “I battle you to help you. My Pokemon are much higher level than yours so you need to use more strategy when battling me.”
Evan stood up. Pidgeotto was back in its Pokeball. “I know. I just get narrow sighted when battling,” he admitted.
“I don’t think he did that bad.” Marisa stroked Pidgey rather than looking at the man connected with the voice. She recognized the pervert’s voice instantly. “He held his own against a clearly superior opponent until the end.”
“I never said he didn’t,” Marisa replied still using Pidgey as an excuse not to look at the man. “He keeps up fine, until strategy is used against him.”
“Strategy like what you did to me earlier?”
Marisa finally looked at the man. “That wasn’t strategy, that was a lucky break,” she told him with a sly smile.
“Marisa, do you know this guy?” Evan asked standing beside her.
Marisa suddenly felt her hand rising and something touching it. She looked down and found the pervert laying a kiss on her gloved hand while down on one knee. “Ah, Marisa, a beautiful name for a beautiful female.”
The female trainer jumped back, almost knocking Pidgey off her shoulder. She could feel her face getting hot. “W...what?”
Even though the man made her feel uncomfortable, she did not miss the smirk that graced his lips. A sound from Evan reminded Marisa of what had happened and she fixed her composure. She looked at the young man, who looked thoroughly shocked. “No, Evan, I do not know this man,” she answered checking on Pidgey. “I met him for the first time today, but was not given a name, only a cheesy pick-up line.”
“Forgive me, your beauty made me forget myself.” The man stood up. “My name is Blake. Blake Reed from New Bark Town.”
“New Bark Town!” Evan snapped out of his stun. “Marisa, he’s from Johto!”
Marisa shrugged. “He’s still a pervert. I can’t say he’s a very good representative of his region.”
“That sounds like a challenge,” Blake remarked pulling out a Pokeball. “You may not like my personality, but my Pokemon are top of the line.”
“If your Pokemon are anything like you, I’m not interested.”
“So you have no problem battling rookies, but when a skilled challenger shows, you run,” Blake commented. Marisa knew he was baiting her and she should just walk away, but at the same time, she was curious. Her experience with Johto Pokemon was limited to what trainers had sent to Professor Oak. She was being given a chance to battle a trainer from Johto presumably carrying a team of Johto based Pokemon. It was hard to pass up.
Marisa sighed. “Fine, I’ll battle you, but let’s make it quick. I’d like to be on the road for the next gym before nightfall.”
“All right with me. Let’s do a one-on-one battle then.” Marisa nodded in agreement. She wanted to see some Johto Pokemon, but she could tell that the man before her was good. Her Pokemon would get hurt and she would need to stop by the Pokemon Center before leaving town. Therefore, the shorter battle gave her more time.
Blake walked away from her to make room for the battle. “I issued the challenge, so I’ll go first,” he said throwing a Pokeball. The ball opened revealing a large bird covered in steel.
“Marisa, what is that Pokemon?” Evan asked staring at the bird.
“Let me see,” Marisa said pulling out her Pokedex.
“Skarmory, the Armor Bird Pokemon. Because Skarmory nests in priors and is constantly scratched by thorns, its wings become razor sharp.”
Marisa closed the Pokedex and returned it to her pack. She patted Pidgey on the head. The bird Pokemon had tensed up and prepared for battle when Skarmory came out. “You can relax, I’m letting one of the others take this.” She grabbed a Pokeball off her waist while Pidgey settled down on her shoulder. “Go!” Marisa threw the ball. “Arcanine!” The Pokeball opened up to reveal the orange and black canine Pokemon. Arcanine roared as he came out.
“An Arcanine… good choice, but it won’t be enough to beat my Skarmory,” Blake taunted.
“Shut up and let’s get this started.”
“Ladies first.” Blake gave a bow as he spoke.
“Fine, Arcanine, start things off with a Flamethrower,” she quickly ordered. The canine Pokemon opened its mouth and shot a scorching flame out at the bird.
“Fly out of the way.” The bird quickly took to the skies narrowly dodging the flame.
“Don’t let it get away!” Marisa yelled. Arcanine continued to send it’s flamethrower toward the flying Pokemon. Skarmory dodged with skill.
“Skarmory, get close to it with Agility,” Blake called out. Skarmory seemed to disappear as it dodged and sped toward Arcanine.
“Arcanine, don’t let it trick you. Hold your attack.” The blasts of fire slowed and stopped.
“Now is your chance, hit it with your Steel Wing attack!” Skarmory’s wings started to glow as it sped toward the canine.
“Get out of the way!” Marisa yelled, but it was too late. Skarmory’s agility combined with the attack was much too fast for Arcanine and it was hit hard to the ground. “Arcanine!”
Blake smirked. “Hurry and hit it with your Swift attack, Skarmory,” he quickly ordered. Skarmory’s wings glowed again before the star shaped attack came out.
“Extreme Speed!” Arcanine barely got to it’s feet and evaded the attack, by using it’s speed. “Quickly, get it with Take Down!” The canine Pokemon jumped into the air and slammed into Skarmory before Blake could issue another command. The bird Pokemon hit the ground hard. “Finish it with a Fire Blast!” A human shaped flame flew toward Skarmory.
“Not so fast,” Blake remarked. “Skarmory, Agility!” The bird swiftly dodged the flame and sped toward Arcanine. “Hit it with your, Fury Attack!” Skarmory dove in and used it’s beak to launch an assault on Arcanine.
“Arcanine!” Marisa called out as her Pokemon fell to the ground once more. “Get up, you can do it!” The canine slowly rose to its feet.
“Give it up, Marisa. Your Pokemon can barely stand,” Blake called out to her.
“Never!” She yelled back looking at Arcanine.
“So be it. Skarmory, finish it with Steel Wing,” Blake ordered. The bird’s wings began glowing once again before charging at Arcanine.
“Arcanine, dodge it!” The fire pokemon attempted to get out of the way, but it was too tired to move fast enough and the attack hit. Arcanine cried out as it hit the ground. Marisa ran to her Pokemon. “Arcanine, it’s alright, you don’t have to fight anymore,” she told her Pokemon as it attempted to get up and failed. Marisa stroked Arcanine gently. “You’ve earned a good rest.” She pulled out its Pokeball and returned her tired Pokemon to it.
“Your Arcanine is strong, but it seemed like it was not used to fighting a flying Pokemon,” Blake commented walking over to Marisa. He had already returned Skarmory to its Pokeball.
“That’s why I used it,” Marisa replied staring Blake in the eye. “I want my Pokemon to improve by battling different opponents.”
“Admirable. I like you even more now,” the man said coming close to Marisa. Marisa looked at him cautiously.
“I doubt that means much coming from a man like you,” Marisa remarked unconsciously taking a step back. An arm wrapped around her waist causing her to remain where she was.
“Oh, it means quite a bit,” Blake said before bending his head and claiming the female trainer’s lips.
Marisa was momentarily shocked as her mind registered what was happening. Blake was kissing her and he was good. Oh wait, that’s not what Marisa wanted to think. “Get away you PERVERT!” Marisa yelled punching Blake hard in the face knocking him away. Blake stumbled and rested a hand on his face while he watched Marisa stomp off toward the Pokemon Center with Pidgey flying after her.
“Marisa!” Blake looked over and saw the boy that Marisa had been battling with heading to follow. He grabbed the kid.
“Tell me, boy. What gym is she heading to?” He asked quickly.
“My name isn’t boy, it’s Evan, and why should I tell you?” Evan replied harshly.
“I don’t care what your name is. Just tell me the closest gym to here,” Blake demanded tightening his hold on the boy’s arm.
“Ow, fine, it’s Pewter City!” Evan yelled. Blake released him. With the Viridian Gym closed, trainers would head for the next gym. He was sure she would be doing just that and he would be right there to meet her.

Next chapter: Marisa’s first gym battle!