Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Goodbye Raichu ❯ Goodbye, Raichu ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Goodbye, Raichu

Chapter Seven -- Goodbye, Raichu

The next day was warm, sunny and pleasant. The sky was blue and Spearow were crowing in the distance.

Ash slept heavily after his ordeal. In the morning he phoned Tim's parents and apologized for the trouble he had caused. Needless to say, Tim's account had put the blame on himself for not heeding Ash's warning, so Tim's parents accepted Ash's apology without hesitation. Misty, whom Mrs Ketchum had put up for the night, was not unimpressed that Ash had at least tried to make amends.

They were in a jeep now, Misty and a Pokémon nurse at the front, and Ash, Pikachu and Raichu at the back. Ash and Mitsy were mostly quiet, mulling over yesterday's adventures. A lot had happened. Still, Ash's spirits were high, with a happy ending in sight. After Raichu was back at her home, Ash planned to go with Misty to the Cerulean Gym so they could finally get around to talking about his job there as a gym leader.

Pikachu and Raichu, on the other hand, were busy chattering away happily. "Pika pi!", "Rai, rai!" and "Chu, chu!" went back and forth with different intonations, gestures and expressions. Raichu had obviously come to realize that not all people were dangerous. Some could even be friends.

As they neared the woods, Misty gave directions, and the jeep carefully turned off the road, and proceeded across the field toward Raichu's home. Soon the vehicle stopped, and all the occupants alighted.

"I can wait a few minutes while you say goodbye," said the nurse, "but I've got to be going back soon."

"It's OK," siad Ash. "Misty and I were planning to walk on to Cerulean City."

"Well OK, if that's what you want to do. If you're sure then, I'd better be off."

"Goodbye, and thanks for your help," said Misty.

Pikachu and Raichu held paws and walked on ahead. Misty and Ash followed behind. As Misty saw the pair together in front, she sighed. She dared to slow her pace just a little, so that after a few steps, she could see Ash walk in front of her. She looked him up and down a few times. She admired his form, the way he walked, so confidently, so full of enthusiasm in life and all it had to offer.

Pikachu and Raichu stopped in front of a group of trees that were growing together. Raichu stopped among the trees and started to dig.

"Must be its home," said Misty.

"I wonder what it's looking for," remarked Ash.

Meanwhile, Pikachu returned to Ash, hugged his legs and rubbed his head affectionately against him.

"What's the matter, Pikachu?" asked Ash, looking down at his closest companion.

Pikachu looked up at Ash, with a sad expression on his face. It was the saddest look that Ash had ever seen on Pikachu. Ash crouched down to Pikachu's level and held him gently between his hands.

"What's wrong?" he asked. Ash was starting to get worried. What could be the matter this time?

"Raichu!" said Raichu, and everyone turned to see her. Raichu had returned, holding something between her paws. It looked like a piece of rock, irregularly shaped, translucent and glittering on the inside. It looked inert in Raichu's paws, but somehow still suggested some latent power.

"What's that?" said Ash, now quite confused.

"I'm not sure, Ash. I think I've seen something like that before," replied Misty.

Suddenly, Ash was overcome by a sinking feeling. Thoughts raced through his head: Pikachu... Raichu... a stone.

"A Thunderstone!" exclaimed Ash and Misty, almost simultaneously.

"Pikachu, you want to become a Raichu?" asked Ash.

Pikachu nodded silently. The poor thing seemed so overcome with emotion, it was difficult for him to talk.

"Oh, I think I see," said Misty. "Do you want to evolve and stay here with Raichu?"

Pikachu's eyes welled with tears, and nodded. But he wouldn't leave Ash's side. He rubbed his head against Ash again, and pointed to Raichu.

Ash was speechless. He was all choked up. Why would Pikachu want to leave him for some wild Pokémon? He felt the world crumble around him, as if all his hopes and dreams would be destroyed if he lost Pikachu. Was Pikachu unhappy with him?

"Ash, I think Pikachu has found a mate," said Misty.

"Pikachu," Ash finally managed to sob, "is that true?"

"Kachu," said the little Pokémon weakly, nodding.

"Don't you like me anymore?"

"Pika!" he shouted to deny such a horrible thought, and grabbed Ash's legs affectionately.

"Well if you want to go, why are you staying next to me?" asked Ash.

"Don't you understand?" replied Misty. "Pikachu is still loyal to you. You're his master. He won't leave you unless you let him."

"Is that right, Pikachu?" Ash asked.

"Pikachu!" came a firm reply.

"So then it's up to me to decide," said Ash. "Oh, why do I always have to make the hard decisions!"

Ash realized that Pikachu was not unhappy with him after all. It was just time for things to change. But why must change be so difficult, so permanent? Ash recalled the time he first met Pikachu, and all the trouble he had to earn his first Pokémon's respect. Since then, however, Pikachu had done so much for Ash. Without him, he would never had been able to earn badges, enter the Pokémon League competitions and catch so many other Pokémon. Pikachu had stuck with Ash through easy times and hard, through battles and struggles. If Pikachu was still loyal to Ash, Ash had to be loyal to Pikachu. "I have to do what's best for Pikachu," he thought.

"Pikachu, I want you to be happy," Ash finally managed to say aloud. "If you'll really be happy evolving and staying with Raichu, then I won't stand in your way."

"That's very brave of you, Ash," said Misty with a sniffle.

Pikachu and Ash gave each other one final, long, tight embrace. Then Pikachu walked over to Raichu and took the Thunderstone.

As the others looked on, the Thunderstone began to glow, lightly at first, then more strongly. Suddenly, it burst into a blaze of light that enveloped the electric mouse. Inside the brilliance they could make out Pikachu's shape. He grew larger, his tail longer, his ears more elegant. Gradually the glow ebbed and finally faded, leaving Ash and Misty openmouthed at the stately form of a newly evolved Raichu.

"Raichu!" said the new Raichu smiling, obviously proud of his new appearance, and all the increased strength and power that came with it.

The group of four slowly and silently walked to the edge of the woods, then onto the field. They stopped, and Ash and his former companion looked at each other.

"Well, I guess this is goodbye," said Ash, choking up again.

"Raichu," said the newly evolved Raichu, tears in his eyes.

"Goodbye, friend," replied Ash.

Quietly, Misty and Ash saw the two Raichu turn around and walk back into the woods, the female comforting her new companion for the loss that the Pokémon itself would be experiencing. They saw them disappear into the trees. Ash finally said:

"Goodbye, Raichu."